• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the deal with Dragon Quest games no longer getting localized?

No way. You're saying that entire bookshelf constitutes the script? How is that even possible? I feel like I'm misunderstanding you, and that I must be dumb for even contemplating that possibility.

RPGFan: When did you start translation work, or localization work I should say, on Dragon Warrior VII?

John: We started it soon after the release of the game in Japan. There were a lot of last minute things that had to happen in order to get the game out in Japan on time, and we didn't start the US version until after the Japanese version was completed and had actually remastered once, to solve some of the last minute problems in the game. So, we started around about an October timeframe with the translation. And it's the biggest localization project in the history of video games. It's something like 70,000 pages of text, but in our offices we have these binders (holds up hands) that are this thick. Each one has two pages printed on it and we have 30 of those binders, full of text. We have about 20 translators and 5 copy editors.

From an interview on the PS1 release of the game.

chrono01

With every new Nintendo Direct, or any new Nintendo conference really, I still hope/expect a Dragon Quest VII [3DS] localization announcement. I know, I'm incredible naïve, and yet...I will not stop.

It's actually pretty depressing, Dragon Quest is one of my favorite gaming series. It's an RPG distilled to its base roots, and it invokes a great nostalgia in me.

Aeana

Dragon Quest 7 has already been localized. It was first released on the PS2. The 3DS game is a remake but no changes to the story as far as I know.

It was for PS1, and there were many script changes in the remake. But even if there weren't any, it wouldn't help that much.

The original DQ7 was translated by ~20 different people, and their work was never really edited to be homogeneous. It's really obvious as you play through the game that someone different worked on this dialog as opposed to something you read earlier. The resulting script is definitely not up to the standards of modern DQ translations, either, and it would still have to be translated into other languages besides English, as all other recent DQ games have been.

Effect

It was for PS1, and there were many script changes in the remake. But even if there weren't any, it wouldn't help that much.

The original DQ7 was translated by ~20 different people, and their work was never really edited to be homogeneous. It's really obvious as you play through the game that someone different worked on this dialog as opposed to something you read earlier. The resulting script is definitely not up to the standards of modern DQ translations, either, and it would still have to be translated into other languages besides English, as all other recent DQ games have been.

Ah I see. Thanks for the correction.

Rolf NB

"Not exclusive to the Wii."
It was for almost a year. If the decision against localizing it was made early, it's based on that.
I don't know how the PC version has fared, but I honestly wouldn't expect a localized Wii U version to be worthwhile, given the current western software sales in general.

Square Enix don't consider it worthwhile.

Nintendo pushed it and had success with it, but they shouldn't be expected to fill in for third party incompetence.
Issue is square enix..
They set expectations way TOO high..
See hitman, tomb raider, etc..

Effect

I'm sure there are some smaller publishers that would be happy to put out those DQ games on digital services or something, I mean, they probably sell at or higher than the average obscure JRPG that gets every single sequel localized.

But that won't happen.

Square Enix would likely price the rights way to high.

Gloam

It was always a bad idea to release it, although it was being considered at one point.

That's interesting, I remember seeing some mention of a survey that had screenshots and translated place names nothing ever came of it though, it's a pity really I'd welcome the opportunity to play DQ10 with more people, as it is a lot of folks have dropped off the import version.

Nerokis

That's quite something. It's understandable, then, that we haven't seen a DQ game localized in awhile. The side games don't sell very well in the West, DQX is hardly a traditional mainline game, and the remakes haven't sold well enough to easily justify the herculean effort that would be required to properly localize DQVII. It's more circumstantial than anything, considering how well DQIX sold.

It's not that difficult to imagine Nintendo bringing DQVII over, though, and I'm sure the circumstances around the next mainline game will be far more conducive toward localization. Hopefully the trend of no localizations changes soon.

As I've said before, tell Nintendo that you would buy Dragon Quest VII in every Club Nintendo survey you fill out, especially the parts that are supposed to be testimonials used on the site, since those are probably the only parts read by an actual human.

Rocky

Banned
This is a bit silly to say as a blanket statement. Dragon Quest 9's sales were really good, and most Japanese RPG developers wish their games would attain sales like that. The remakes and spinoffs aren't selling very well, though.

But were they really? I remember going into stores like Best Buy, Target, etc and seeing stacks and stacks of the game just sitting there. I always wondered how it could be selling so well yet so many copies were sitting around gathering dust in stores. Could the sales figures be shipped numbers and not sell-through?

This is a bit silly to say as a blanket statement. Dragon Quest 9's sales were really good, and most Japanese RPG developers wish their games would attain sales like that. The remakes and spinoffs aren't selling very well, though.

I heard Rocket Slime is good, is it? You have a slime avatar so I know you've played it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'd choose Nintendo over Atlus, or NIS every time when looking for a publisher.
If that's an option yes, but we wouldn't have this thread if it were working out fine the way it is now. Plus Nintendo is also very picky when it comes to titles, we might get a new DQ main game - but what about the spin-off or remakes? Or games on other systems.

sörine

Banned
I think the DS remakes were a pretty hard sell though. They announced all of them at once and they looked pretty rough even for DS games. DQVII looks much nicer, is a singular release and I thought it had more social elements added like DQIX or BD. I think it has the potential to do a lot better than IV, V and VI did.

Joker 2 did horrible but that was after the DS software market had collapsed in general. Joker 1 did okay although I can still see why Square Enix or Nintendo might be hesitant with the 3DS Monsters remakes.

Rocky

Banned
sörine;102887459 said:
I think the DS remakes were a pretty hard sell though. They announced all of them at once and they looked pretty rough even for DS games. DQVII looks much nicer, is a singular release and I thought it had more social elements added like DQIX or BD. I think it has the potential to do a lot better than IV, V and VI did.

Joker 2 did horrible but that was after the DS software market had collapsed in general. Joker 1 did okay although I can still see why Square Enix or Nintendo might be hesitant with the 3DS Monsters remakes.

Joker 2 did horrible because SE released the Pro version in Japan and localized the original version for the west. People were pissed and didn't buy it because of that.

Wereroku

The Nintendo name alone gives it the kind of stature it deserves, and Nintendo has a lot of additional advertising resources on N. Direct or eShop. Small bits of clothing alteration don't mean much. If no one pointed it out I wouldn't have even noticed.

And Nintendo is wise to value the trust parents have in them as being family friendly. It means major $$$.
I can't wait till little Timmy sees the new Nintendo game Bayonetta. That should be quite eye opening for a Nintendo only household.

Still don't get why SE did not ride the hype of DQ8 more. It sold well enough and even better got people (like me) who were not interested before to notice. Seems like a huge missed opportunity.

TEJ

Still don't get why SE did not ride the hype of DQ8 more. It sold well enough and even better got people (like me) who were not interested before to notice. Seems like a huge missed opportunity.

I wonder how many people bought the game for the FF12 demo.

Kouriozan

It's sad we have to rely on Nintendo to localize Square-Enix games.
Hopefully Square will localize Bravely Second themselves this time.

sörine

Banned
It was sort if weird how they skipped all the PS2 and GBA games that released around VIII. I would've loved Rocket Slime 1, DQV PS2 and even that Yangus dungeon game.

Rocky

Banned
sörine;102888341 said:
It was sort if weird how they skipped all the PS2 and GBA games that released around VIII. I would've loved Rocket Slime 1, DQV PS2 and even that Yangus dungeon game.

DQV on PS2 is definitely the best version in my book. Though I only played a fan translation of it, it was very well done for fan translation.

NolbertoS

I recently imported a Japanese DS with DQVII and Valkyrie Chronicles III on play-asia. SE is treating DQ like the Enix days after DQVII was released on PS1. They stated DQIV coming soon and left it on hiatus for a decade. I don't expect SE will release any DQ games on portable consoles anymore. IOS money is where its at for them, so if you wanna play DQVII localized, better get an Ipad soon.

KiTA

Nintendo and Square Enix have only themselves to blame for DQMJ2's sales, though. If you don't market a game at all, how can you expect it to sell? If you ignore the actively developed expansion for the original game, then you're going to have high localization costs. Stuff like that.

Eusis

It's not free to play. It's also not the kind of game that would appeal to typical western MMO gamers, at all. And I say this as someone who played and really likes the game. It was always a bad idea to release it, although it was being considered at one point.
But would it appeal to typical JRPG fans or at least DQ fans? That's been frustrating me, if it's basically DQ but with other people but not brought here because it isn't following WoW's template, as if anything else simply won't be accepted.

Though I guess the worst part is that usually is the case with MMOs, at least in the eyes of publishers but maybe in the eyes of consumers in this particular case too. :/
sörine;102888341 said:
Localized DQ seems to be the most obvious casualty of the merger, kind of funny given that's been Enix's bread and butter for video games in Japan. Maybe if they didn't merge we'd still reliably get those games and spin-offs, though the treatment would probably not be up to par with what SE has done. DQVIII localized like DQVII would kinda suck.

KiTA

I recently imported a Japanese DS with DQVII and Valkyrie Chronicles III on play-asia. SE is treating DQ like the Enix days after DQVII was released on PS1. They stated DQIV coming soon and left it on hiatus for a decade.

That was due to the buyout, Enix USA was basically put in limbo and then got screwed over, hard. One of the major problems I see facing Square Enix is the fact that their US division is just Squaresoft USA rebranded. If they had brought in some of the fresh faces from Enix USA, maybe shook up Squaresoft USA a bit, maybe they could find a way to make a profit on a game selling 100-200k copies in the US.

I dread the day a major release of theirs bombs hard, it should be interesting to watch -- although we may have already saw that with FFXIII.

I don't expect SE will release any DQ games on portable consoles anymore. IOS money is where its at for them, so if you wanna play DQVII localized, better get an Ipad soon.

I'm not sure SE has much of a say in it. I believe Yuji Horii owns Dragon Quest, not SE. He has flat out killed the idea of non-port versions on Mobile. DQ11 will NOT be iOS/Android, at this point it will almost definitely be 3DS.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well as far as "11" goes, it'll be awkward if 10 never came out in the US. They either have to dance around that fact somehow, or worse.

sörine

Banned
Localized DQ seems to be the most obvious casualty of the merger, kind of funny given that's been Enix's bread and butter for video games in Japan. Maybe if they didn't merge we'd still reliably get those games and spin-offs, though the treatment would probably not be up to par with what SE has done. DQVIII localized like DQVII would kinda suck.
Maybe we'd still get non-DQ Enix games too. I miss those.

Eusis

That was due to the buyout, Enix USA was basically put in limbo and then got screwed over, hard. One of the major problems I see facing Square Enix is the fact that their US division is just Squaresoft USA rebranded. If they had brought in some of the fresh faces from Enix USA, maybe shook up Squaresoft USA a bit, maybe they could find a way to make a profit on a game selling 100-200k copies in the US.

I dread the day a major release of theirs bombs hard, it should be interesting to watch -- although we may have already saw that with FFXIII.
Yeah, I wonder how things would've gone if they more properly absorbed Enix, or pulled an Atlus/Sega and just let them operate independently for the time being. Bringing on anyone that wasn't fully redundant probably would've been best, especially with their increased workload, and it seemed Enix USA knew how to cultivate a smaller but dedicated audience while Square just wanted to grow bigger and bigger even though they should've been doing the same damn thing.
sörine;102891014 said:
Maybe we'd still get non-DQ Enix games too. I miss those.
Yeah, or perhaps at least tri-Ace would be continuing to make their own games rather than trying to go with third parties for awhile before becoming a farm for FFXIII sequels.

Rocky

Banned
Yeah, I wonder how things would've gone if they more properly absorbed Enix, or pulled an Atlus/Sega and just let them operate independently for the time being. Bringing on anyone that wasn't fully redundant probably would've been best, especially with their increased workload, and it seemed Enix USA knew how to cultivate a smaller but dedicated audience while Square just wanted to grow bigger and bigger even though they should've been doing the same damn thing.

Yeah, or perhaps at least tri-Ace would be continuing to make their own games rather than trying to go with third parties for awhile before becoming a farm for FFXIII sequels.

Um, Enix absorbed Square and they named themselves Square Enix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Enix

The original Square Enix was formed as the result of a merger between Square and Enix. The merger occurred on April 1, 2003 with Enix as the surviving company.

StuBurns

Banned
Sales is the only thing that causes anything.

DQM was my first RPG, they remade it, they won't give it me, I can't help but take it personally.

Into

It never took off in the west, for whatever reason (there are a few good ones).

Its not like SE has some massive cash cow like CoD to milk and has ignored other series, they do not have that luxury, and they still have not bothered localizing DQ games in the west.

Whatever FF had, DQ simply did not. Not trying to start a DQ vs. FF debate number 9.338.192, but that is simply what it is.

Top Bottom