• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which are you more excited about? Final Fantasy XV or Final Fantasy VII

What's the most exciting thing about Square Enix right now?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Astral Dog

XV looks a bit questionable at this point, but the remake is nothing but a CG trailer right now.

Honestly?
tumblr_mo80fsC1ZN1qlovp6o1_500.png

But all look cool.

Ralemont

not me
I don't know nearly enough about FFVII to be excited about its capacity as a new experience.

Meanwhile, I'm very intrigued by FFXV's gameplay and open world.

So, XV.

Muffdraul

XV. I was never really that hyped for it, I can only get hyped about one FF at a time and when they announced three new FFs at E3 2006 FFXIII was the one I glommed onto. Several aspects of FFvsXIII turned me off, but I assumed I'd get super hyped for it once FFXIII was out of the way. However FFXIII turned out so poorly that it pretty much caused me to put the future of FF on notice. I really like the XV demo, but that is at least partially due to low expectations. But I'm totally looking forward to the full game now.

FFVII is one of my favorite games of all time, yet I've never been on the remake bandwagon. A huge part of its charm was its bizarre mid-90s awkwardness. All I ever asked for was a re-translation. I don't care for any of the Compilation crap that's come out in the last 10 years. I think it's a damn shame that FFVII's ambiguous ending has been sullied. The remake will be pretty, but I have no faith whatsoever that I'll enjoy it 1/10th as much as the original.

Neither honestly. I enjoyed my time with FFVII, played it through twice and now I'm done with the game. It was easily surpassed by the superior FFXII which is the 3D game that really should get the HD treatment. As for XV, Square hasn't really given me much to be confident about given its development history. Plus, seeing as since VII, the only truly great FF game to come out was XII, I've made sure to keep my expectations in check for future releases.

Now KH3 on the otherhand, I needs it. I needs it bad.

khaaan

World of Final Fantasy is going to be great and all of you are heathens for ignoring it.

Bingo. I suppose if FFVI makes the needed tweaks to the battle system, ups the difficulty, and improves the writing and characterizations of pretty much the entire cast I could see it being good. The original had promise it was just deeply flawed. FFXV does nothing for me since the battle system is a total turn off. World of Final Fantasy is just super appealing to me as long as it has a turn-based combat system with a full party.

Based on my understanding of Japanese (a.k.a Google Translate) according to the Dengeki interview it is going to be turn-based but "full party" might be a bit of a stretch. It sounds like it'll be the two protagonists + two monsters each to form various combinations. I'm not sure whether a third slot exists and is occupied by a FF character like Cloud or Warrior Of Light.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
XV by default. VII Remake is just a CG trailer and a promise at this point and I was never the biggest fan of VII in the first place.

Square2015

Can someone look back at the E3 youtube promo and see if FFVII remake fits in a bleeped spot? Along with the other titles shown.

Mortemis

Banned
I'd probably would've said FFXV, but FFVIIR has Nomura...

I just hope the game takes a new creative path. I've already played FFVII a billion times, I want that game but in a new experience.
And yes, I'd be hyped if they made it an action game, come at me GAF.

Imagine if pulls and miracle and gets Gooch and Uematsu on board. :O

shuT UP. Don't get me any more hyped for unrealistic dreams M_Night. ;_;

Philippo

XV, beacuse it has an immense potential, and it's actually something new.
Plus, i simply loved the demo.

VII, for how much of a good thing it is, it's only a remake.
And we still haven't seen anything about it.
I honestly think it was a bad move to announce it now, it'll end up cannibalizing XV and KHIII share of attention (like you see now).

Fbh

XV mostly because we have seen more of it and there is a good chance it will be released this decade.

Might change once we see some actual footage of the VII remake. But right now I worry Nomura will screw it up by making it too much like Advent Children.

Go_Ly_Dow

AND THEN TORIYAMA!

i have no problem with Toriyama having a backseat role

I'd probably would've said FFXV, but FFVIIR has Nomura...

I just hope the game takes a new creative path. I've already played FFVII a billion times, I want that game but in a new experience.
And yes, I'd be hyped if they made it an action game, come at me GAF.

shuT UP. Don't get me any more hyped for unrealistic dreams M_Night. ;_;

After this E3 anything is possible! All my "unrealistic dreams" CAME TRUE!

Yeah, a coworker of mine was talking about how cool the shot of Midgar's power cores were and he was sort of lamenting on how XV didn't have that. I showed him some of the other trailers that he hadn't seen and he was like "oh, so it's not just going to be all like Duscae?".

I think Duscae and the subsequent repetition of its media has burned a bunch of people out - we want new shit damnit!
tumblr_ndr2wqpEEr1u03799o10_400.gif

Yup - I think people have forgot what kind of scale XV has promised.

tumblr_mo95ziHl8y1qcxlqpo1_500.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
When I heard the first part of "Opening/Bombing Mission" play in the trailer I had an intense moment. So much nostalgia ;-;

But then, I also started weeping when Last Guardian was the opener so there is that. ;-; ;-; ;-;

Teletraan1

Banned
VII until they announce how butchered the game is stuffed full of "modern" gameplay that sucks. If I get what I have wanted from the start from this game I will be legit shook.

I have never been really interested or hyped for XV. It has looked mediocre from the start, particularly the combat system, the sausage fest party and the fact that it has been in development for 100 years. The demo only cemented that.

Neff

After playing Episode Duscae, I became distinctly less excited about FFXV. I mean, I'll still buy it, but if the demo is any indication as to the finished product, it's going to be a fucking boring-ass game.

A FFVII remake is now a line drawn through the 'dream games which will never happen' list. There's no comparison imo.

I think the FF7 remake has a better chance to turn out as something that is what I want of a Final Fantasy game.

Normally I'm all for new games and not a big fan of remakes (let alone remasters) though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I love this poll. Four Job Fiesta!

For the actual question, I'm not sure. We have literally no details about the VII remake except that it will (probably, eventually) exist. Depending on the changes they make, it could be great, or a huge disappointment. At this stage I'm much more "curious" than "excited."

With XV at least we know what we're getting for the most part. Seems like it could be pretty good by the time they are done with it, so I guess it wins by default?

jimmypython

FFVII remake: Not sure how much Nomura can do given Kitase is one of the original directors of the game who is producing.

FFXV: Not sure about what Tabata can pull off under the shadow of Nomura's vision, since apparently he has already been blamed by many Nomura/VersusXIII fans (including me).

tbh the best and most natural scenario would be Nomura continued to finish VersusXIII/XV and Tabata did FFVII remake, for me anyways. In fact Tabata was more involved in VII than Nomura: Tabata directed FF7BC and CCFF7 whereas Nomura was the character designer and directed a FF7 movie.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Waiting on that FFVIII remake...

And FFXII:I:ZJS HD. Come on Square, you said if FFX/X-2 sold well...

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
XV because I've already played VII and the Remake won't be that different in terms of story and characters. If it were a IX Remake then it would be a different matter though.

Can't really say honestly.

I've waited for Versus XIII (now XV) since it's E3 2006 announcement with its promise of a more action packed Final Fantasy that goes against series conventions. Final Fantasy VII is probably my favorite game, knowing I can relive it on the PS4 is rather tantalizing. So honestly, I don't know. I'm looking forward to a new mailine game that was original a spin off of XIII, so it's all new. While FFVII is a known quantity, I'm just excited to go on that journey again. Also interested to see how FFVII will be received by a new generation of gamers who never played the original, bless their young souls.

Godcannon

Lol that first post.

I'm sorry but VII is my favorite game of all time. And epic nostalgia aside, that presentation/visual translation of Midgar was mind blowing good. I've been harsh on Nomura for his designs, but that was just the greatest thing I've ever seen. To be honest, I want to like XV but after playing the demo, I really don't like the characters, in particular the voice acting and design of an emo metal boy band, that isn't in an emo metal boy band. I'm sure it's gonna have some great things, but I just don't see it being better, unless your into emo metal boy bands.

FFVIIR is a miracle.

What the fuck? This poll just tricked the shit out of me. I'm more excited for FFXV. I'm sure FFVII Remake will be great but I LOVE the direction they're taking Final Fantasy with the newest title and it seems super duper fresh.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Those poll options were garbage.

I am way more excited for FFVII remake as I love turn based RPGs a lot more than this action stuff we have been getting lately.

FFVII:R by far.

XV seems to be less and less interesting as development goes on. I have hope it will still be good, but I am concerned the story won't be as big or deep as originally hinted.

With FFVII I know exactly what we are getting, with some artistic license thrown in.

Top Bottom