• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House gender pay gap more than triples under Trump (WaPo)

Piecake

white-house-wage-gap.png

The pay gap between male and female White House staffers has more than tripled in the first year of the Trump administration, according to an analysis by economist Mark Perry of the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank.

The median female White House employee is drawing a salary of $72,650 in 2017, compared to the median male salary of $115,000. "The typical female staffer in Trump's White House earns 63.2 cents per $1 earned by a typical male staffer," Perry writes.

The 37 percent gender pay gap in President Trump's White House is more than double the 17 percent gender pay gap nationally. According to the Pew Research center, the Trump White House gender gap is wider than the national gender pay gap stood in 1980.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...n-triples-under-trump/?utm_term=.10b831c2cbfe

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So if they are doing on average the same things, why the pay gap? I'm not talking senior vs junior staffers; I'm talking about those on equal footing.

Shoeless

It's actually both depressing and terrifying that white women are so afraid of foreigners that even this kind of treatment is preferable to minorities getting a fair shake. What's going on in American education/social spheres that the majority of white women voters actually thought to themselves, "Sure! It sucks for me, but as long as those colored people are kept in line, this is worth it."

DarkestHour

Banned
Meaning he has hired fewer women for higher paying positions because he's filled them all with men?

This is probably the case and these seem to all be lower pay positions anyways.It's probably chance and not something deliberate. Anything the media can do to put a negative spin on whomever is currently President. Same thing happened when Obama went in to office. So sick of this shit.

There's absolutely no data here showing how many women are hired, how many men are hired, what positions they hold, etc...useless data. How do we know women in higher paying positions didn't quit? Article also has zero data supporting pay inequality. Just because more men at this time have higher paying positions does not prove that women doing the same exact role with the same exact experience are being paid less.

dramatis

This is probably the case and these seem to all be lower pay positions anyways.It's probably chance and not something deliberate. Anything the media can do to put a negative spin on whomever is currently President. Same thing happened when Obama went in to office. So sick of this shit.
I suppose hiring less women than men is in no way an inequality either, that just happened by chance and not something deliberate, and doesn't represent a gender gap in the administration.

old

This will correct itself in a few years when you figure the payouts from sexual harassment lawsuits.

gaiages

Banned
It's actually both depressing and terrifying that white women are so afraid of foreigners that even this kind of treatment is preferable to minorities getting a fair shake. What's going on in American education/social spheres that the majority of white women voters actually thought to themselves, "Sure! It sucks for me, but as long as those colored people are kept in line, this is worth it."

When you're taught systemic sexism in all facets of life, there are women that truly believe themselves to be the 'lesser gender' and all sorts of other stuff instead of actively questioning it. It's not just a fear of immigrants, it's a bit more than that.

Also the fact that SOME privilege (from being white) is better than NO privilege (cuz you ain't white).

Shadybiz

So if they are doing on average the same things, why the pay gap? I'm not talking senior vs junior staffers; I'm talking about those on equal footing.

Article specifically states that it's mostly due to men being in higher paying roles. It doesn't really go into detail about differences between men and women filling the same roles.

Link

The Autumn Wind

There's absolutely no data here showing how many women are hired, how many men are hired, what positions they hold, etc...useless data. How do we know women in higher paying positions didn't quit? Article also has zero data supporting pay inequality. Just because more men at this time have higher paying positions does not prove that women doing the same exact role with the same exact experience are being paid less.
Won't someone think of the poor misogynistic sexual predator in the White House?! #MAGA

Shoeless

When you're taught systemic sexism in all facets of life, there are women that truly believe themselves to be the 'lesser gender' and all sorts of other stuff instead of actively questioning it. It's not just a fear of immigrants, it's a bit more than that.

Also the fact that SOME privilege (from being white) is better than NO privilege (cuz you ain't white).

Discouraging. But makes sense.

SpecX

While I get the anger, Trump and his cabinet have put themselves in a position to deserve this with the bs they are doing unlike Obama who received negative spin just for being black.

This seems to be less about pay-structure and more about men taking all the higher-paying jobs.

Have they compared the salary of male and female staffers working the same exact position/post? If that pay is identical, then the problem is Trump choosing too many men and not enough women for certain posts.

Just pay them lady bucks. They wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Though it might have to do with the fact he hasn't been hiring anyone and the areas he does are usually men. Which isn't a good thing either.

While I'm sure this would be true by any metric with Trump it seems odd that this is just a simple look at medians. I thought pay gap referred to the gap between genders for the same/similar positions

While I'm sure this would be true by any metric with Trump it seems odd that this is just a simple look at medians. I thought pay gap referred to the gap between genders for the same/similar positions

In this case the article really should have been titled "White House employs systemic sexist hiring practice under Trump." While it's also possible that women are being paid less for the same work (I'm not ruling that out), this seems to mostly be a case of hiring a disproportionate amount of men for important positions, and skipping over women.

Balphon

It depends on the context.

Here we seem to be looking at the salaries just of everyone employed by the WH, so it's not likely that low-level female aides are categorically making significantly less than their male peers. Rather, it's more likely that relatively fewer women are employed in more senior, better-paid positions as compared to the Bush and Obama WHs.

Shiggy

Did they just put all WH employees, regardless of hierarchy and position, into the same pool and then calculate the median based on gender, or am I reading that wrong?

AndyD

aka andydumi
In this case the article really should have been titled "White House employs systemic sexist hiring practice under Trump." While it's also possible that women are being paid less for the same work (I'm not ruling that out), this seems to mostly be a case of hiring a disproportionate amount of men for important positions, and skipping over women.

Yep. I think this is far more accurate. He was blatant about discriminating based on wealth in his cabinet, and based on his past conduct and statements I would not be surprised if he does not see women as not fit for certain top decision making jobs.

That said, the article does mention this is for all White House staffers, so it's not misleading in that sense.

The jobs aren't the same, so you can't compare it one on one. But it is troubling that Trump is then hiring way fewer women in higher positions that would pay better.

Is the median female working at the same thing as the median male though? because the title implies that he is paying less for the same job.

If you put aside that assumption, the other explanation would be that his team staffs all the higher paying jobs with men.

And considering the gap in the previous administrations, any possible excuse of "maybe there are no women that qualify for those higher paying jobs" won't apply either.

PSlayer

Did they just put all WH employees, regardless of hierarchy and position, into the same pool and then calculate the median based on gender, or am I reading that wrong?

How do you think that "women are paid 70% of men's salary" meme was created?

whatsinaname said:
And considering the gap in the previous administrations, any possible excuse of "maybe there are no women that qualify for those higher paying jobs" won't apply either.

Sure but that is not my point! If they want to accuse Trump from having a male dominated workplace that is fine but name it like that. At best this was a case of bad wording, at worst this is the jornalist twisting facts to maximize retweets.

Playsage

Is the median female working at the same thing as the median male though? because the title implies that he is paying less for the same job.
Probably not, since the male/female ratio for the top staff is almost 3:1

Man, he really likes locker rooms

Either he's hiring less women into higher paying jobs or he's paying women less for the same work. Both of these scenarios are symptoms of wide-spread sexism in the Trump WH.

Top Bottom