• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House gender pay gap more than triples under Trump (WaPo)

Syriel

This is probably the case and these seem to all be lower pay positions anyways.It's probably chance and not something deliberate. Anything the media can do to put a negative spin on whomever is currently President. Same thing happened when Obama went in to office. So sick of this shit.

Did you even read the OP?

Because what you are saying is in direct contradiction to the chart showing previous years.

"The White House is hiring more men for the top positions"

GeAoX.gif

Either he's hiring less women into higher paying jobs or he's paying women less for the same work. Both of these scenarios are symptoms of wide-spread sexism in the Trump WH.
If the reason is that he's hiring fewer women into high paying jobs, that should be the headline instead. It's a more precise statement of the problem.

Let's hold ourselves to high standards of honesty when using statistics.

What's a Second Lady?

“There is one military family here today I am especially excited to recognize,” Trump said — “our great vice president, Mike Pence, and our second lady — never heard that term before, but that’s what they say — and she is some lady, that I can tell you — of the United States, Karen Pence, are here along with their son, Marine 1st Lt. Michael Pence.”

By now, we should not be terribly surprised when it turns out that Trump is unfamiliar with some aspects of Washington decorum. After all, Trump ran proudly on his outsider status, and there are some things with which only insiders are likely to be familiar.

Ri'Orius

While I'm sure this would be true by any metric with Trump it seems odd that this is just a simple look at medians. I thought pay gap referred to the gap between genders for the same/similar positions

No, generally pay gap looks at broad averages as well. Which seems counterintuitive, and certainly undermines the "equal pay for equal work" slogan (the pay gap for equal work is only 8% or so, compared to the general pay gap of 25%), but doing the math this way brings out a lot of the subtle sexism that can have wide-reaching effects.

If women in general have a harder time getting hired for senior positions, or if they're systemically discouraged from even seeking such careers, or if female-dominated careers are, for no apparent reason, less valued than male-dominated careers: those are all problems.

Unfortunately sexism in the real world isn't as simple as moustache-twirling fat cats cackling as they sign smaller checks for women. But it's still real.

cackhyena

Either he's hiring less women into higher paying jobs or he's paying women less for the same work. Both of these scenarios are symptoms of wide-spread sexism in the Trump WH.
Only one is implying something the far right can call out as fake yet again. Journalists need to be smarter than this.

Top Bottom