• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are several PS4 Pro games arbitrarily locking 1080p users out of downsampling?

Muninn

Banned
Try Watch Dogs 2 with all of its lines and buildings. Without AA the game looks utter SHIT at 1080p FULL ULTRA on PC.

It's not until you apply 2xTXAA that the image is decent.

Downsampling from 4K in WD2 is basically impossible with my rig but it looks amazing with a little SMAA. Downsampling is immediately noticeable for anyone with eyes IMO. I don't see how one could not possibly see it.

Of course if the game already has MSAA or something you might not notice it as much. But a lot of games these days have tons of shimmering and aliasing on sub-pixel stuff.

Try Watch Dogs 2 with all of its lines and buildings. Without AA the game looks utter SHIT at 1080p FULL ULTRA on PC.

It's not until you apply 2xTXAA that the image is decent.

Downsampling from 4K in WD2 is basically impossible with my rig but it looks amazing with a little SMAA. Downsampling is immediately noticeable for anyone with eyes IMO. I don't see how one could not possibly see it.

Of course if the game already has MSAA or something you might not notice it as much. But a lot of games these days have tons of shimmering and aliasing on sub-pixel stuff.
Makes a huge difference in WD_2.
Looks really good on the Pro.

I wonder if it's a memory issue for some of these games. Perhaps they can't spare the ram for both a 4K buffer as well as a 1080p buffer to down sample to. It's certainly possible, although they would really have to be utilizing the memory system to the max if they couldn't squeeze out and additional 6MB or so for a 1080p frame buffer. I suppose it depends on the engine.

burgerdog

It's not a big news, so I didn't want to bump the old Last Of Us 1.08 thread .. I think it's fine to post here.

ND removed AGAIN the feedback thread about the removal of supersampling.
1540 votes.

The thread was restored, people have never stopped to vote or comment, but now it's gone for the second time.

http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...ption-to-toggle-supersampling-for-1080p-users

Ridiculous behavior to not answer these people in any way.
They lost my sympathy.

It should be incredibly easy.
If that were the case, then why isn't it implemented on every title?

I wonder if it's a memory issue for some of these games. Perhaps they can't spare the ram for both a 4K buffer as well as a 1080p buffer to down sample to. It's certainly possible, although they would really have to be utilizing the memory system to the max if they couldn't squeeze out and additional 6MB or so for a 1080p frame buffer. I suppose it depends on the engine.
This is the real takeaway. There's a reason(s) why you 1080p HDTV owners aren't getting the 4k-compatible ouput downsampled. I, same as the rest of you, wish we knew why.

We're, what, four months or so after the Pro's release. More and more patches are coming, but the subject of this thread has yet to be addressed by anyone in the industry, correct?

pahamrick

Could system wide down-sampling for Pro supported titles be coming after all?

I had this pop-up on my screen when exiting out of Horizon a little bit ago, I'm on the latest beta firmware. Never seen this pop-up in any of the other titles where down-sampling still works.

nHoohgl.jpg

massucci

Banned
I'd liked more higher visual setting mandatory over checkerboard or downsampling. Seriously. I have a 1080p tv monitor and honestly I don't care of shimmering if it means more and better visual effects. I played TR exclusively to riched mode. I stay away to the stuttering fps of the 4k mode.
No Man's Sky is the latest title to omit downsampling for 1080p displays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-7gl1khwx8
By the way fps it's really unstable at higher res.

Hopefully Sony is working on a system wide down sampling option.

480p
720p
1080p
1080p (4k mode)

Actually, when you play a 1080p game with your console set to 720p, does that do down sampling or is it something different? I assume the games don't actually render at the lower resolutions.

Costia

What really sucks is that it locks people out of boost mode because the game "got a 4K patch".
When activated, Boost Mode ”lets PS4 Pro run at a higher GPU and CPU clock speed in order to improve gameplay on some PS4 games that were released before the launch of PS4 Pro," a company spokesperson told The Verge
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/3/14502366/playstation-4-pro-boost-mode-update

Please explain how a mode that unlocks the CPU/GPU frequency is better than a dedicated patch that can use the extra GPU cores as well.

Costia

it's better for the people who feel that boost mode would have a more favorable outcome than the results after the patch.
So I guess its for people who think that the devs who made the game have no idea what they are doing.
TBH looks like there are actually a lot of those. i.e. people who truly believe that game devs are stupid and/or lazy.

Karppuuna

Every game chould have performance and resolution option like Horizon and Shadow Of Mordor. If they force resolution and supersample, many times it comes with a of cost of a performance.

What really sucks is that it locks people out of boost mode because the game "got a 4K patch".
Nothing sucky about it. The patch improves performance more than Boost Mode did. Everyone on Pro playing the patched version of the game is getting better results than before.

leeh

Does the GPU do the down sampling? Does it add extra burden onto the GPU when used, or is it outside of the GPU and done by a single chip specifically for that?

Innolis

I'm guessing Sony is working on a system wide downsampling option for developers to opt into. It's really weird to see this omitted..

Does the GPU do the down sampling? Does it add extra burden onto the GPU when used, or is it outside of the GPU and done by a single chip specifically for that?
The GPU does it. The cost is very low, but it's not zero.

But the lack of downsampling occurs in only 14 games currently. This is out of 110+ games with native Pro support. I'm not sure if performance concerns are a big reason, or else why would so many do it anyway? (But of course, particular devs may have differing constraints or philosophies, so perhaps performance is the reason in some cases.)

Stranya

The lack of information from devs/Sony on games that don't downsample is infuriating. It's one of the key Pro benefits for 1080p users. Would it kill them to communicate with fans and - gasp - explain why?

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Could system wide down-sampling for Pro supported titles be coming after all?

I had this pop-up on my screen when exiting out of Horizon a little bit ago, I'm on the latest beta firmware. Never seen this pop-up in any of the other titles where down-sampling still works.
I had that pop up when i was exiting/entering YouTube lol

Vashetti

Banned
Could we get Eurogamer/Digital Foundry to look into this?

afaik no major gaming journalist is covering this issue or has asked Sony about it

Paging dark10x

Hopefully Sony is working on a system wide down sampling option.

480p
720p
1080p
1080p (4k mode)

Actually, when you play a 1080p game with your console set to 720p, does that do down sampling or is it something different? I assume the games don't actually render at the lower resolutions.

That's what Sony should be doing: add a 4K (downsampled) video output option to make games believe you have a 4K TV connected...

Pro really seems like a mess. Having to change resolution to change modes. Having support be all over the place from mixed options etc

Hope they get all devs add a menu option or that ms requires it on thier box. Having so many issues doesn't make me want to rush and buy it even though I'll still get it. Just sounds like a real drag needing to look online to see which have had issues. Which game has ds, which game runs better in boost. Which game has this and that. I get that the average user doesn't care or just thinks everything is better.

Have been holding off on games for these issues and seeing if they are ironed out elsewhere with more power and ram.

I feel pro has really only been good for 4k users on average which yeah many of us will have that later so it isn't terrible forever.

Just sounds like a real drag needing to look online to see which have had issues. Which game has ds, which game runs better in boost. Which game has this and that. I get that the average user doesn't care or just thinks everything is better.
Pretty much everything is better, though. There is exactly one game that has a worse framerate on Pro, and it has higher resolution and improved objects. There are 16 games that don't downsample, but all except three of them have better framerate, effects, or both.

So just the two Kingdom Hearts collections and the Ezio Collection give no benefit on Pro...and note that all of them are remasters. Every Pro-supported game original to PS4 has benefits for users with 1080p displays.

I don't understand why they haven't done this. It would take care of this issue completely.
They probably can't do it now because downsampling has a GPU cost. It's a very small cost, but if a game is already using all the system's resources, the OS can't grab even a tiny extra slice to do its thing.

This could change, though, if Sony can reduce the regular OS footprint. Because there's always [x] resources reserved for OS tasks like capture, trophies, notifications, multitasking, etc. If Sony can streamline the system so it uses [x]-1 resources to do all that same stuff, then the spare 1 could be used for downsampling.

What's the difference between:
Taking a 1080p game and setting your PS4 to 720p
Taking a 4K game and setting your PS4 to 1080p

Every PS4 game in existence can downsample from 1080p to 720p and as far as I know, it's not even something that has to be written into the engine.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So many games, that's like half a dozen. As a 1080p owner, it's not even worth raising an eyebrow about. First world problems I guess.

dmix90

What's the difference between:
Taking a 1080p game and setting your PS4 to 720p
Taking a 4K game and setting your PS4 to 1080p

Every PS4 game in existence can downsample from 1080p to 720p and as far as I know, it's not even something that has to be written into the engine.
Exactly. They already have the code... Just copy-fucking-paste with 3840x2160 instead of 1920x1080 and ship it.

Top Bottom