• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are there no good dinosaur games?

Yagharek

Everyone loves dinosaurs.

aMnCK.jpg

Every single kid who was introduced to them - either on tv documentaries, in books about animals, or by walking past a display of unthinkably giant bones in a natural history museum - has an instant awe about their size, power, and imposing stature.

In a category of cool things, including but not limited to: space aliens, ninja, super powers, giant robots, black holes, lasers and pirates, dinosaurs are indisputably the number one.

So why, with very few exceptions, do we generally only have shit videogames about them?

Turok. Dino Crisis. The Lost World (lightgun game) are about the only three decent ones, and even then they don't fully capture the real impressive nature of why dinosaurs are some of the most fascinating creatures in both natural history and mythology.

Why can't someone just build a game where for whatever reason you wind up sent back in time and you have to survive and find a way back to the present? Something like Far Cry 2 or Metal Gear 3 where you have to sneak around the jungle watching out for viscous predators. Or where you have to risk running across an open plain to get to your downed time machine before a T-Rex catches you?

These animals have so much potential for an amazing videogame treatment. I am shocked that no-one has delivered one (and I hope that when someone does, they don't just use the cop-out of a Jurassic Park license. Make your own damnit!).

Well, if it's done by one of the bigger companies, they'd probably make them Russian, or Middle Eastern, and we'd have health regen, and guns, and it wouldn't bring any justice to the untapped holy potential of dinosaur games. So maybe this is for the best, for now

The more we learn about them (like how a bunch were feathered like giant birds instead of lizards) make them less awesome as time goes by.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
anyone remember that RTS with dinosaurs? It was one decent game. Super-powerer T-Rex was the bollocks

Flunkie

Banned
I enjoyed the new Turok that came out a few years ago. It wasn't a good game at all, but still entertaining. Needs to be more utilization of dinosaurs though, I agree.

Also, Dino D-Day was fun for about 5 minutes.

fart town usa

Gold Member
images

I got it for cheap. While it's pretty awful, it plays fine and is fun to laugh at with friends.

Love the calvin and hobbes comic btw.

...Now I need a next gen dinosaur fighting game. The only ones I can think of are that Jurassic Park fighter for PS1 and Primal Rage, which were just gods in the shape of dinosaurs and giant gorillas and stuff.

joe2187

Banned
Well according to a live action documentary I watched on Super Mario Bros, Arent all the mario games about Dinosaurs

Oreoleo

Carnivores 1 & 2!

A new Carnivores with modern mechanics could be really amazing. The problem for me with Carnivores 2 specifically was having to hunt boring herbivores in the early game that run away from you. Add more big dinos with different attacking patterns, with a focus on gadgetry and survival. Yeah that could be a hell of a game.

As someone mentioned though, animation is a bit of a hurdle.

Yagharek

So far there is only one proper dinosaur game this generation (Turok) and that wasn't exactly well received.

Dinosaurs are cool and it's shocking to think that the only dinosaur games people are posting here are from 16bit days or that jurassic park manager game from 8 years ago. I appreciate they might have been good games, but compare that with how many games have been out in genres that include: zombies, aliens or zombie aliens and you get my drift.

Hell, at this point I'd even settle for Cabela's Dinosaur Hunts.

YES. A WHOLE GAME OF THIS.

Az987

all good things
Primal Rage sucked ass.

I liked the Jurassic Park game for Genesis; the one where you could be the dinosaur. It was funner to be the guy though and use the cheat code to get all the guns.

Also: Now I'm thinking about BC! I'm sad now.

Top Bottom