• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why FF7 remake would probably not work.

An interesting reasoning that I haven't seen before. You go T-Frog!

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9096181

We've been over the reasons Square Enix probably will never publish that Final Fantasy VII remake they've been teasing us with for years, and no one likes to see a man beat a long-dead horse. But I noticed something while doing an image search for FFVII protagonist Cloud Strife this morning which reminded me that a remake of the game would be a pretty lousy idea. Even if redoing FFVII up to HD specs wouldn't be insanely expensive and impractical, I'm not confident that Square Enix remembers what made FFVII so compelling in the first place. Based on all the sequels and spin-offs that have followed in FFVII's wake over the past 15 years, the impression I have is that they think people loved FFVII because Cloud was a mopey dishrag of a man. But let's compare these very similar yet very different illustrations I came across this morning. Both are images of Cloud drawn by designer Tetsuya Nomura -- the first from FFVII, the second from Dissidia: Final Fantasy:
589.jpg

Despite their almost identical poses, these two versions of Cloud couldn't be more different if they were night and day. The original Cloud stands with a confident posture, chest thrust outward, feet spread apart, free fist clenched, ridiculously huge sword supported firmly. The Dissidia Cloud stands meekly, shoulders slumped, left hand dangling limp, sword held aloft only because it's resting against his back. The one on the left is a guy who would brag about his skills, flirt with flower girls, and make sarcastic cracks to his party members' faces. The guy on the right wants to sit in a dimly lit room and listen to sad music while weeping quietly into a scented pillow. The one on the left is the Cloud who actually was the hero of FFVII, barring a brief period where he experienced a severe personality crisis; the one of the left is the Cloud who has appeared everywhere else -- and, one suspects, would be shoehorned into any prospective remake. And even if Square kept Cloud the same as he originally was, can you imagine the caterwauling from people who have let his sulky Advent Children personality overwrite their memory of the character as he was originally conceived? Awful. I'm OK with FFVII being left as-is.

Can you even imagine Zack personality Cloud in HD? HD Cloud that's smiling? Crazyness I say!

Feep

Banned
You are wrong. FFVII would sell millions, and your primary argument is that they'd be unable to replicate the way a guy looks? Please.

The real issue is that Square-Enix has by-and-large forgotten how to make good games.

Sentenza

Honestly sounds like a pretty crappy argument to me (but that's maybe just cause I'm not even a big fan of FFVII in the first place).

Modern Squenix is incapable of releasing the kind of games that made me love them so much in the 90s. Which isn't to say that they don't put out good games still, but compare FF4 to The After Years. I have no doubt in my mind that an FF7 remake would be Advent Children bullshit instead of the goofy game that 7 really was.

Anustart

After reading that.....what exactly was his reasoning the remake wouldn't work? He cites a pose by Cloud and advent children without really making an effort to state anything meaningful.

And this talk of insanely expensive is coming from where? It wouldn't cost more than making a new game.

Seik

Banned
You are wrong. FFVII would sell millions, and your primary argument is that they'd be unable to replicate the way a guy looks? Please.

Yeah it would sell, but would it be good?

I mean FFXIII did sell, I was a hyped buyer myself. Slowly discovering regret with a feeling that 'its not the same anymore' by advancing in the game was a bad feeling.

I don't want this to happen with FFVII, fuck no.
I, so much, see SE fucking everything up anyway. The worst they could do is switching the battle system to XIII's, to make the game 'more accessible'.

I still buy it, lol.

Remake VI instead!

Boney

Banned
The one on the left is the Cloud who actually was the hero of FFVII, barring a brief period where he experienced a severe personality crisis; the one of the left is the Cloud who has appeared everywhere else --

time paradox

Modern Squenix is incapable of releasing the kind of games that made me love them so much in the 90s. Which isn't to say that they don't put out good games still, but compare FF4 to The After Years. I have no doubt in my mind that an FF7 remake would be Advent Children bullshit instead of the goofy game that 7 really was.

857010-vanille_large.png

OnPoint

It's less about the way he looks and more about how newer Cloud is almost like a totally different character. But if they were going to change the game's main character that much I don't think I'd want a remake. I think most people would want the same game with better graphics.

Looks like I've had a step back in time to analyzing images in media to look for meanings that really don't exist.

Right one is in a different style entirely, the personality of the character has nothing to do with his style. You're just comparing FF7 cloud to Advent Children Cloud.

StuBurns

Banned
And this talk of insanely expensive is coming from where? It wouldn't cost more than making a new game.
It would. If it was the same scope FFVII is, it would cost a lot more.

VII cost $45M in 97, to approach that game in FFXIII's quality visuals would cost an obscene amount, possibly more than could be justified spending. Which is why it'd have to either be smaller in scope, or not FFXIII quality visuals. Both are which are fine actually, but T-Frog disagrees it would appear.

Looks like I've had a step back in time to analyzing images in media to look for meanings that really don't exist.

Right one is in a different style entirely, the personality of the character has nothing to do with his style. You're just comparing FF7 cloud to Advent Children Cloud.

Wait... dissidia cloud was AC? I always thought he was more FF7... don't remember much of that game's 'plot' though.

I cried for FFVII remake for 10 years, till I realized that the remake might ruin the special atmosphere and experience that the game have.

So no, don't touch it SE.... leave the masterpiece as it is without any change.

I don't want any risk.

I cried for FFVII remake for 10 years, till I realized that the remake might ruin the special atmosphere and experience that the game have.

So no, don't touch it SE.... leave the masterpiece as it is without any change.

I don't want any risk.

There is no risk. FF VII R could suck Satan's fiery cock and FF VII would still exist.
I say go for it S-E.

kameha5th

Banned
It would. If it was the same scope FFVII is, it would cost a lot more.

VII cost $45M in 97, to approach that game in FFXIII's quality visuals would cost an obscene amount, possibly more than could be justified spending.

Your not thinking of the small picture man.

Think about the revenue that this will create. I mean seriously, even my FPS-Tard friends has at least played FFVII before, and pretty sure they would purchase it.

It's a BIG MONEY REVENUE. They'll definitely gain back what they initially invested. No problem in that department.

You know why it wouldn't work?

- Cloud dressed as a woman.
- Honey Bee sidequest.
- Don Corneo's place.

Just of the top of my head.
Any game with those 3 things on it, wouldn't make it with less than a 'M' rating.

kameha5th

Banned

- Honey Bee sidequest.
- Don Corneo's place.

Any game with those 3 things on it, wouldn't make it with less than a 'M' rating.

Sorry, thought you were talking about FFXIII for a sec.

Phenomic

Isn't this exactly why it would work though? I feel like this makes the assumption that both drawings of Cloud are the same Cloud. Why can't the Dissidia Cloud be the one after his big breakdown personality wise. Which, I feel like anyone could easily turn out the way he did after what happened to him.
I think the death of Aerith pretty much set Dissidia Cloud up pretty well, as well the other things he lost.

Wasn't the whole point of the confident Cloud in FF7 that he thought that he was Zack and he took on an entirely different personality. He just couldn't handle all the stuff he was put through without severely freaking out. Mako Poisoning/put in that tube by Hojo, watching his friend Tifa almost die and getting stabbed himself, then watching his friend Zack get completely murdered by Shinra troops. So he turned into the confident friend he just lost to escape all of it in a manner of speaking.

Mikey Jr.

I have ZERO confidence in Square Enix.

You would think remaking FFVII would be a no brainer.

SE would find a way to fuck it up massively.

kameha5th

Banned
I have ZERO confidence in Square Enix.

You would think remaking FFVII would be a no brainer.

SE would find a way to fuck it up massively.

Although I may agree,

How the hell could it go wrong?

Unless-- they slapped a paradigm bs shift battle system in that game, I would be completely fine whatever they do with it.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

- Honey Bee sidequest.
- Don Corneo's place.

With a modern/realistic style much less. They might get away with it if they kept a similar cartoony style, but god knows they'd shoe in the advent children style.

Grinchy

Banned
How about the remake wouldn't work because Square Enix no longer has any clue as to how to make a good FF game.

Although I may agree,

How the hell could it go wrong?

Unless-- they slapped a paradigm bs shift battle system in that game, I would be completely fine whatever they do with it.

HD on map sprites with the chubby hands and legs. It's what the fans wanted right?

SE should have just remade it using crisis core engine. Wouldn't have cost too much, and might have helped psp out a bunch in the states.

CorvoSol

Talk about overanalyzing an image...

Seriously. Not to mention that Dissidia Cloud lives a life of constant warfare in which allegiances are determined entirely by the whim of the Gods, victory assures you absolutely nothing, and survival only ensures you will be forced, quite literally, to repeat the cycle.

And that's WITHOUT the melodrama of missing memories, being hunted by horrific crystalline clones of yourself and the people you love, and serving as essentially cattle for two Big Gods.

So if Dissidia Cloud looks depressed, at least he has a very good reason.

Anyway, I think 7 deserves an update only because its graphics are the worst in the series. Otherwise give me 5 and 6 first, dammit.

Eusis

Talk about overanalyzing an image...
It's not overanalyzing so much as that picture is a perfect representation of that shift. Dissidia itself has Cloud say everything with a dull resigned voice and some emo-like victory quips, yet except for one point in the game where he's freaking out about his self identity he's never been anything like that.

I have to admit though, I haven't gotten far enough in CC but I could buy him acting like that there too because he's failed his childhood dream and I assume needs to head home as a "failure", so I could see someone being kind of mopey in a situation like that. But if Dissidia's any indication they'd probably make him act like that throughout all of FFVII rather than just when it actually applies.

Haunted

Crisis Core basically eliminated any desire for a FFVII remake. Any creative team who thought up and was happy with shit like Genesis, Angeal and Loveless is obviously unworthy to be trusted with anything related to FF. Ever.

FFV and VI are due first, anyway.

Top Bottom