• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why FF7 remake would probably not work.

rataven

Nonsense little article with no context to the game the art appears in. Dissidia Cloud is actually one of the more reasonable leadership oriented characters in it's cast of goofy FF nutjobs, and has his moments of badassery.

And that Squall Dissidia art is hideous. He looks anorexic and 15. Blech.

Seik

Banned
polygon-cloud-strife-final-fantasy-costume.jpg

c4HpT.png

That's some awesome cosplaying right there! XD

That scene is in Kalm, like six hours in.

Cloud is kind of arrogant for the first couple of hours, typically when discussing SOLDIER, but after that, no, not really.

Ehh no.
Sure, Cloud is very arrogant for the first couple of hours, but after that he doesn't go straight to emo-mode.
Actually, when Cloud is in Kalm telling his "story" to the party, he's still cocky when he does so. And he keeps being like that until the end of disc 1.
Then after he regains his own self after being on the lifestream, he isn't as cocky as before. But he's still confident and well... he's even in the mood to joke with Yuffie.

If anything, Advent Children made him look like an emo guy.

just make the remake for 3DS using a not so realistic art style and this won't be a big issue

Hell no! I want to see a high poly and very detailed Cloud dressed like a girl. And slutty Tifa. And Sexy Aerith.

Bulzeeb

Fuck that. Getting sexy cologne and a diamond tiara is the most rewarding thing in the game.

this, that part was lots of fun, really made me laugh while praying nobody else entered the room, explaining the situation would be a bit weird btw a 3DS remake will solve this too

DarkKyo

There are no scenes where he smiles because the character models didn't have mouths. Cloud is brash, overly-confident, arrogant and dismissive, but he's never whiny.

I was talking about the CG scenes where he's not an SD character.. you know, like the end FMVs. I just don't remember him smiling in those, but I guess I could be wrong. Sure he's ultra pensive/whiny in Advent Children but I suppose you could chalk it up to his life/personality-altering experiences in FFVII. I guess what I mean is I don't remember Cloud being too different in FFVII. Even in the first scene he's a straight-faced dick to Barret with seemingly no emotion. Isn't he like "yeah I'm just here for the job. whatevs"? If they use the same dialogue that's already in FFVII I don't think they can put a whinier Advent Children-esque spin on his appearance or emotion.

StuBurns

Banned
Ehh no.
Sure, Cloud is very arrogant for the first couple of hours, but after that he doesn't go straight to emo-mode.
Actually, when Cloud is in Kalm telling his "story" to the party, he's still cocky when he does so. And he keeps being like that until the end of disc 1.
Then after he regains his own self after being on the lifestream, he isn't as cocky as before. But he's still confident and well... he's even in the mood to joke with Yuffie.

If anything, Advent Children made him look like an emo guy.
What is cocky about his telling of that story exactly? And why would this bold leader stand silently while Barret claims leadership over the group until Aeris stops him?

I think people are looking back with rose tinted glasses, because playing it today, he's every bit the fearful young man. The fact he carries on and saves the world means nothing, Squall does that too, doesn't stop him being 'emo'.

EDIT: Considering the post below, I just want to make it clear, I think FF7 is incredible.

Sentenza

I'm not even sure why so many people think FFVII was such a great game in the first place.
It was pretty much the game that started my fierce dislike for JRPGs, it had all the typical annoying flaws of the genre: tons of grinding required to unlock advanced content, godzillions of pointless random fights that felt all the same, occasional silly and annoying mini-games, annoying characters, big "emotional" situation I couldn't empathize with for shit, the bad habit to take away from the gamer controls for large chunks of story, time sinks everywhere...

Despise finishing it 100% (all Materias included) I almost hated it.

DarkKyo

I'm not even sure why so many people think FFVII was such a great game in the first place.
It was pretty much the game that started my fierce dislike for JRPGs, it had all the typical annoying flaws of the genre: tons of grinding required to unlock advanced content, godzillions of pointless random fights that felt all the same, occasional silly and annoying mini-games, annoying characters, big "emotional" situation I couldn't empathize with for shit, the bad habit to take away from the gamer controls for large chunks of story, time sinks everywhere...

Awesome story(at least pretty unique for it's time), great characters, badass villain, cool bosses and locations... it was really all around a fantastic experience.. though a bit on the long side.

Cloud is definitely whiny and emo in the original game, it's one of the reasons why I hated the game so much back in 1997.

It may not be the one-dimensional cartoon stereotype it sounds like it ended up being with the Compilation works, but it's definitely in there.

OMT

It was T-Frog's moronic cliche, not mine. I was just stating he's passive, and fearful in FFVII. He is not the ballsy boss people claim. I just played it, this week. He has more in common with Squall than he does Lightning. When the decision is made as to who will lead the group, he isn't even the one who steps forward, Barret does, Aeris intervenes and makes him the leader. He's passive to a fault.

He's indecisive and dismissive of the leadership position at first because he's uninterested, being a mercenary and all. The whole thing with that person dying was a big deal, not because it impacted him so much as it impacted the part of him that was impersonating Zack. It was this cognitive dissonance that caused his mental breakdown, not his grief.

He was pulled back from the brink because Tifa showed him that he was loved for who he was, and not solely for living up to some other person's standard. It's also no coincidence that the game really "opens up" at this point.

Beth Cyra

Cloud is definitely whiny and emo in the original game, it's one of the reasons why I hated the game so much back in 1997.

It may not be the one-dimensional cartoon stereotype it sounds like it ended up being with the Compilation works, but it's definitely in there.

Cloud is never whiny or emo in any parts of FF VII.

The fact that one gets depressed from time to time when they have legitamate issues doesn't deserve to be written off a Whiney or Emo nearly as often as this shit gets thrown around.

rataven

VII didn't start this. See the FF that came right before. Or the one before that. VII is hardly some huge departure for the series.

Seik

Banned

You're wrong, Advent Children made Cloud's character looks 'softer'.

In FFVII, he was badass most of the time. Except when he goes derp like mentioned above, heh. I'd definitely be moved by knowing what he gets to know later in the game too, the dude's normal. :p

Sentenza

VII didn't start this. See the FF that came right before. Or the one before that. VII is hardly some huge departure for the series.
Actually I never claimed anything even close to it.
I said it was the game that started *my* dislike for the JRPG genre (then over time reinforced by many other attempts to play similar games), I never said it was the one that invented those things.

What is cocky about his telling of that story exactly? And why would this bold leader stand silently while Barret claims leadership over the group until Aeris stops him?
I think people are looking back with rose tinted glasses, because playing it today, he's every bit the fearful young man. The fact he carries on and saves the world means nothing, Squall does that too, doesn't stop him being 'emo'.

Cloud is playing the role of Zack. Zack was never Emo. This is until the end of disc 1 where slowly Cloud starts losing his shit.

Nah man, I'm currently playing the game (as I do every year). Of course, I can't remember every single detail of the game. But I can remember how every character behave during the 3 discs. And in no possible way Cloud acted like an Emo, except on the scenes that I mentioned on my last reply.

BTW. You don't claim leadership. People "give" it to you.
So yeah, Cloud made the right choice by not claiming the leadership.

Beth Cyra

The article got me when it mentions that Cloud is a little bitch every where else but the FFVII. This is damn true.

Rea
Walking up and telling Sephiroth to shut up and then fighting evenly.

Kicking Kajad's ass and smiling while doing it.

Or jumping up and clashing with a phychotic bitch who ripped the gem out of Vincent's chest.

He does all these things and more with not a single out of complaint, how is that being a bitch again?

I get that Advent is bad in alot of ways, but this is taking 1 hour of story development and trying to force it over the entirty of Cloud's apperance which doesn't make any damn sense.

Cloud is playing the role of Zack. Zack was never Emo. This is until the end of disc 1 where slowly Cloud starts losing his shit.
Nah man, I'm currently playing the game (as I do every year). Of course, I can't remember every single detail of the game. But I can remember how every character behave during the 3 discs. And in no possible way Cloud acted like an Emo, except on the scenes that I mentioned on my last reply.

Cloud isn't even really doing this.

Zack is kind and a warm person even in the limited scenes in VII. Cloud only takes select events from Zack. If anything Cloud actually acts more like Sephiroth then he does Zack.

How the hell was Cloud emo in FF7? He was just an arrogant dick.

You people are seriously just making shit up from the FF7 that exists in your mind, as opposed to the FF7 that exists in reality.

StuBurns

Banned
I think you're high.

Cloud is the indecisive character you impact. He isn't outlandish in any respect, be it emo, or boss. His arrogance washes away with his exit of Midgar more or less.

Kinyou

After reading that.....what exactly was his reasoning the remake wouldn't work? He cites a pose by Cloud and advent children without really making an effort to state anything meaningful.

And this talk of insanely expensive is coming from where? It wouldn't cost more than making a new game.
Yeah, he actually just explained why it shouldn't be done and not why it wouldn't work.

Zack is kind and a warm person even in the limited scenes in VII. Cloud only takes select events from Zack. If anything Cloud actually acts more like Sephiroth then he does Zack.

Yeah, sorry. I messed up the quote.
I meant that Cloud plays the role of Zack when he's telling what happened at Nibelheim.

I think you're high.
Seriously? Maybe I didn't expressed it quite well, but the idea is there.

I can't be the only one that listened to those leadership speeches in high school...

Goody

You know why it wouldn't work?

- Cloud dressed as a woman.
- Honey Bee sidequest.
- Don Corneo's place.

Just of the top of my head.
Any game with those 3 things on it, wouldn't make it with less than a 'M' rating.

Pretty much my thought whenever a Final Fantasy VII remake gets mentioned. The least concern here is I just don't see this quest working with the tone that Square-Enix has set for the VII universe in its sequels.

StuBurns

Banned
Seriously? Maybe I didn't expressed it quite well, but the idea is there.

I can't be the only one that listened to those leadership speeches in high school...
Look at the leaders of nations. Often the public chooses, but they fight for the application. They don't stand there while someone else takes it and waits for their girlfriend to ask for it on their behalf.

It seems like a lot of Cloud's actions are non-committal, probably because they don't want it to alienate players, but I still believe it to be there.

One of the things which replaying FF7 has impressed me is the feeling of having impact on Cloud's actions. It's more pronounced than any FF since.

EDIT: It should be noted though, I've never actually watched Advent Children, I saw some of it when I got the FFXIII demo, but I fell asleep. I also haven't played either Dissidia, but I did play Crisis Core.

Rea
Walking up and telling Sephiroth to shut up and then fighting evenly.

Kicking Kajad's ass and smiling while doing it.

Or jumping up and clashing with a phychotic bitch who ripped the gem out of Vincent's chest.

He does all these things and more with not a single out of complaint, how is that being a bitch again?

I get that Advent is bad in alot of ways, but this is taking 1 hour of story development and trying to force it over the entirty of Cloud's apperance which doesn't make any damn sense.

Cloud was more arrogant than whiney in VII. He was emo and moody in everything else.

Darryl

Banned
i don't think an HD remake would work at all. i don't believe the old crew of heroes would really be that pleasant in HD.

now, the 3DS/Vita remake idea, that's golden.

Mikey Jr.

I really cant imagine SE remaking FF7 without ripping out EVERYTHING that gave it the charm that it had.

-Dressing up as a girl.
-Golden Saucer would just be gone or toned down significantly.
-Being able to date Barret.
-Motorcycle and submarine minigame.
-Chocobo Breeding/races
-Don Corneo.
-Having to snowboard down a mountain to progress.
-Keeping your temperature warm while climbing a mountain.
-Slapping minigame.

If they did remake FF7, it would technically be FF7, but not.

Beth Cyra

Cloud was more arrogant than whiney in VII. He was emo and moody in everything else.

Moody? most certainly. Emo? Not a chance.

As said he is depressed for legit reasons in Advent. He and his son have cancer and he is dying despite being the strongest man on the planet who saved the world. This makes sense to be depressed.

In everything else he is not depressed at all. He is looking for a reason to fight but continues to battle to protects his friends in Dissidia.

In Kingdom Hearts he is actually very much early Cloud where is he is obsessed with Sephiroth and chasing him down.

Everything else he is in it so little that he barely larger then a cameo aside from Crisis Core which at least when it comes to Cloud was very much spot on given how VII portrayed Cloud in his early life.

rataven

Actually I never claimed anything even close to it.
I said it was the game that started *my* dislike for the JRPG genre (then over time reinforced by many other attempts to play similar games), I never said it was the one that invented those things.

Which is your own personal burn out, yet you questioned why others would like VII as much as they did based on that. Fans of the genre or series in particular probably wouldn't look at any of the things you listed as negatives.

Valnen

God, that dissidia art...if I can't have a FF7 remake, just give me a Vita Dissidia or PS3 Dissidia with about 20 more characters and call it a day at Square and I'll be happy.

Look at the leaders of nations. Often the public chooses, but they fight for the application. They don't stand there while someone else takes it and waits for their girlfriend to ask for it on their behalf.

Let's put it this way.
Let's say you're Aerith... or Tifa, whatever. And suddenly, Barret says: "I should be the leader of this group".
What would you do?
Barret is not precisely the guy that you would want leading the party, right?. You barely know Nanaki... And then, there's Cloud. He's strong, he gets the job done, he's not dumb, he might be a little uninterested on shit, but when he has to deal with something, he does it better than anyone.

Who would you think that it is the better leader in that situation?. The guy that jumped and said: "I wanna be the leader", or the guy that is the most appropiate for the role, but he 'might' be uninterested?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
1.) didn't we had this thread except much better in the FF / FFVII anniversary threads?
2.) whats a tfrog?

Or just cut that content out. Not needed.

NO

And why would this bold leader stand silently while Barret claims leadership over the group until Aeris stops him?

Cloud was never a real leader until after his recovery halfway through disc 2!

tons of grinding required to unlock advanced content

What does that even mean @_@? If ya want a FF that plays itself I know a couple that could be recommended to ya!

Cloud is never whiny or emo in any parts of FF VII.

Not even right after Temple of the Ancients events?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
How the hell was Cloud emo in FF7? He was just an arrogant dick.

You people are seriously just making shit up from the FF7 that exists in your mind, as opposed to the FF7 that exists in reality.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

OMT

That might be the most 'emo' thing I've ever read. Which side of the argument are you on again?

1. You think that's 'emo'
2. You think this discussion has 'sides'

Point is that while Cloud's character arc is very emotionally compelling, he doesn't engage it in a maudlin fashion, nor would it make any sense for him to. He deflects things through brashness at first, and then has a more confident humility at the end. Neither of these are a "mopey" attitude.

Thing is, "mopey" attitudes in bishy characters sell like hotcakes to 13-year-old Japanese girls (because they're just sooooooo moe), which is why Cloud got pushed in that direction.

volpone

Banned
I would hope they would have Sakaguchi in some sort of consulting capacity when they eventually do pursue a remake.

If only so he can slap some sense into Kitase.

And please. No fucking Genesis.

Beth Cyra

1.) didn't we had this thread except much better in the FF / FFVII anniversary threads?
2.) whats a tfrog?

NO

Cloud was never a real leader until after his recovery halfway through disc 2!

What does that even mean @_@? If ya want a FF that plays itself I know a couple that could be recommended to ya!

Not even right after Temple of the Ancients events?

To me Emo is being a bitch and seeking attention for no reason. Given how far Cloud is getting at that point, I think a break down is fair here.

Beth Cyra

STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE!!!
Yeah, I mad.

Let's just think for one moment, that SE will deliver the whole FF7 OST, but orchestrated. Just, think about it.

Im one of the crazies that really loved the Rock mixes they made for Advent Children so I would want a Custom Sound track for Advent Jenova and Advent OWA.

The best reason to avoid an FF7 remake is that it would cause millions of fans to realize that the writing and characterization is actually terrible. They might be able to do something with the gameplay though. In any case, Square needs to buckle down and look forward if they want to stay above water. They seriously need to revisit what they're about at a core level.

StuBurns

Banned
Let's put it this way.
Let's say you're Aerith... or Tifa, whatever. And suddenly, Barret says: "I should be the leader of this group".
What would you do?
Let's put it this way.
You don't play Aerith or Tifa in Final Fantasy VII, you play Cloud, and he stands there, silently. Even if you use your logic, Cloud should have suggested himself, or someone else if he felt Barret was not suitable. And if he did think Barret was suitable, he should have agreed to have him lead. He didn't do anything, he didn't protest, or praise, no action at all, just passive acceptance of the situation unfolding around him.

Now again, I'm not saying that is bad, I'm saying it is not showing him as bold. He's bold when he's jumping into a train carriage, or arguing over wages, but when it comes to major game decisions, he's a lot less confident.

As I said, Crisis Core is my only other experience with Cloud, but I feel that character as depicted in that game would become the Cloud in FF7. They feel about right to me.

Top Bottom