• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is GAF so outraged over Halo and Xbox right now?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I still think that the extreme downgrade in Halo is beyond repair, as that earlier trailer was actually running on UE4, and they're now working on Slipstream. Do Microsoft have access to such high quality content? Of course they can buy them from Quixel Megascans and import them into Slipstream, just like EA with Battlefield and Battlefront and the rest. What is behind this critical decision to drop UE4 after like 4-5 years of development and go to an aging, unupdated engine?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
WTF, that's some serious shit. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: BTW, I was really anticipating Halo Infinite on my PC, and even considering to upgrade from the still new Radeon VII to Big Navi for raytracing. It looked very good in the E3 trailer, just watch it in 4K (although many unrefined graphics were there and we expected them to be addressed by launch):

I love that trailer, it's the most beautiful I've ever seen. The art direction is spectacular and the graphics almost rival HB2 or FS2020. Unfortunately I'm guessing either Playground, Absobo or Ninja Theory made it since it bears NO resemblance to what 343 showed.

oldergamer

Gaf isn't biased as people think, we like what is good.
In the Xbox 360 days, it was the most beloved videogame here.
Noooo it wasn't. are you kidding me?? I was here back then, and people hated on the 360 in a similar fashion. The PS3 reveal with all of its fake gameplay videos, was simply fuel for the fire, and everyone trashed how 360 games looked. They called it Xbox 2.5 or something equally as dumb. 360 games looked better then PS3 games, but you would be hard pressed to get any sony fans to admit it ( even to this day) Meanwhile it was a more visually capable system then what sony could show on PS3.

Jon Neu

Banned
It's not Xbox fans or GAFer's that are outraged, but concerned trolls lighting shit up since Halo's reveal. One minute no one cares about power, it's all about gameplay and SSD, the next minute nothing else matters but Craig. It's the selective narrative, nothing else.

I think it's both, probably more of the second ones than the first ones, but there are definitely cases. I'm an Xbox fan and I'm outraged.

But at the same time there's people here who have literally said that they want the Xbox brand to dissapear and MS to be out of the console world coming to the thread with the friendly concern trolling.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Same reaction you see to anything overhyped and overpromised that doesn't deliver.

Even moreso considering Xbox was the underdog and there was a perception that Sony was getting arrogant again. A lot of people really wanted them to come out swinging hard like the early 360 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Journey

Banned
Noooo it wasn't. are you kidding me?? I was here back then, and people hated on the 360 in a similar fashion. The PS3 reveal with all of its fake gameplay videos, was simply fuel for the fire, and everyone trashed how 360 games looked. They called it Xbox 2.5 or something equally as dumb. 360 games looked better then PS3 games, but you would be hard pressed to get any sony fans to admit it ( even to this day) Meanwhile it was a more visually capable system then what sony could show on PS3.

Yep, it was Xbox 1.5. Sony fans kept showing trailers of Gundam Crossfire, Killzone 2 and Motorstorm CGI trailers and compared them to games like Full Auto and GUN on 360 to show why it was a mere Xbox 1.5 and not a true generational leap, despite existing Gears footage which most people were skeptical if 360 could pull off those visuals. There were a lot of people who started to believe in 360, but the grand majority were still hell bent on PS3 being superior in every way. Some things never change

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I love that trailer, it's the most beautiful I've ever seen. The art direction is spectacular and the graphics almost rival HB2 or FS2020. Unfortunately I'm guessing either Playground, Absobo or Ninja Theory made it since it bears NO resemblance to what 343 showed.

I think for Microsoft it would be very expensive to sort their own assets instead of relying on Unreal Engine's Quixel Megascans, while Sony is already enjoying a large library from their movie division, Sony Pictures and Imageworks, which could cut costs in the long run.

The major difference between the two is one was running on UE4, a very mature, refined, and versatile engine and the other is running on the old Slipsteam engine. Is there anything wrong went between Epic Games and Microsoft that caused this shift? Time will tell.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Same reaction you see to anything overhyped and overpromised that doesn't deliver.

Even moreso considering Xbox was the underdog and there was a perception that Sony was getting arrogant again. A lot of people really wanted them to come out swinging hard like the early 360 days.

A) Xbox Series X hasn't released yet, we don't know if it will deliver, what if head to heads are superior than PS5? what if it actually has good launch titles plus the entire Game Pass library at 4K 60 or 120 and auto HDR plus the entire Xbox BC catalog at launch?
B) No one played Halo Infinite, saw vegetation environments like the first trailer or indoor levels, heck the game could have an amazing campaign story, but now we have to wait to find out because it's all about the visuals, screw 4K silky smooth 60fps and an awesome campaign and multiplayer when under the helmet, Craig's face is ugly :pie_eyeroll:

The growing disappointment in Xbox is a combination of four things:

1) Halo is the flagship Xbox franchise, and 343 look like they're mucking it up again. There's a bad vibe building around the game; the kinda one that people felt around Crackdown 3.

2) Xbox Series X needed to avoid the Xbox One mistakes in order to have a fighting chance in NA and UK. They're making the same Xbox One mistakes all over again (i.e. no games, confusing messaging, directionless leadership) so the people who fantasized about an Xbox return to the top are realizing that their fantasy just might not come true. Crazier things have happened, but all of the indicators so far point to yet another generation where you're not missing out if you skip the Xbox console.

3) Philip Spencer and crew have been yammering for years in front of any and all live microphones about the great games (e.g. greatest games lineup ever yearly mantra) the Xbox has. The truth is starting to set in that Philip and crew have been all smoke no fire. A lot of people have been saying (rightfully so) that by just being quiet and not appearing in every mp3 and mp4 file on the internet, Philip and crew would not create unrealistic expectations around Xbox's games library and it's supposed superiority over past Xbox libraries. I guess people are starting to question that if the current and future Xbox has this supposedly unstoppable superior games library then why are Xbox, yet again, relying on a bunch of oldass 15 year old+ games to sell their new box? It's one thing to have backwards compatibility with new flagship games, it's another to have backwards compatibility with no new big games.

4) Whether you like it or not, the console space has three players: Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. Each company will, whether justly or not, be routinely compared to the other companies in the space. With that in mind, assuming no consoles are delayed, Xbox is going up against PlayStation in a few months. The former has leadership that has been all talk and no action, while the latter has leadership that has been (almost to their own detriment at some points) no talk and all action. So the "outrage" is less about the unimpressive Halo (and if we're being honest, even more unimpressive Xbox library) and more about the fact that one company seems to keep talking and getting it wrong while the other seems to keep shutting up and getting it right. If you're invested in the company that keeps fucking up then you're probably going to be "outraged" at what's going on with that company.

To be honest, I don't see a lot of genuine "outrage." Disappointment and dislike, yes, but genuine anger? Not really. I think what you're seeing is a lot of diehard Xbox fans coming to the realization that the current Xbox leadership has overpromised and underdelivered one too many times.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony fans see that MS has almost turned the ship around. They know, either consciously or subconsciously that this is one of their last times to pile on so they feel they have to.

Sony epitomizes the linear, formulaic, 60 dollar experience. MS says Sony can have that. They're forging their own path of multiplayer, sandbox, GAAS type games. Sony fanboys revile this direction as they want all studios to make Uncharted games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I still think that the extreme downgrade in Halo is beyond repair, as that earlier trailer was actually running on UE4, and they're now working on Slipstream. Do Microsoft have access to such high quality content? Of course they can buy them from Quixel Megascans and import them into Slipstream, just like EA with Battlefield and Battlefront and the rest. What is behind this critical decision to drop UE4 after like 4-5 years of development and go to an aging, unupdated engine?

Reminder, Fortnite is STILL the most popular console game on earth. People don't care about visuals nearly as much as GAF thinks. If the gameplay is there, people will support it.

Imtjnotu

Sony fans see that MS has almost turned the ship around. They know, either consciously or subconsciously that this is one of their last times to pile on so they feel they have to.

Sony epitomizes the linear, formulaic, 60 dollar experience. MS says Sony can have that. They're forging their own path of multiplayer, sandbox, GAAS type games. Sony fanboys revile this direction as they want all studios to make Uncharted games.
So while one group of fan boys play AAA games and different experiences the other can play the waiting game and use their pc to do it all. Okay cut the crap lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Reminder, Fortnite is STILL the most popular console game on earth. People don't care about visuals nearly as much as GAF thinks. If the gameplay is there, people will support it.

You can't bring Fortnite to the table, it's cartoonish and that's a big part of its charm. Everybody loved Sunset Overdrive back in the day. Asking for E3 trailer graphics or even better isn't too much to ask with the hardware of XSX.

Klayzer

The growing disappointment in Xbox is a combination of four things:

1) Halo is the flagship Xbox franchise, and 343 look like they're mucking it up again. There's a bad vibe building around the game; the kinda one that people felt around Crackdown 3.

2) Xbox Series X needed to avoid the Xbox One mistakes in order to have a fighting chance in NA and UK. They're making the same Xbox One mistakes all over again (i.e. no games, confusing messaging, directionless leadership) so the people who fantasized about an Xbox return to the top are realizing that their fantasy just might not come true. Crazier things have happened, but all of the indicators so far point to yet another generation where you're not missing out if you skip the Xbox console.

3) Philip Spencer and crew have been yammering for years in front of any and all live microphones about the great games (e.g. greatest games lineup ever yearly mantra) the Xbox has. The truth is starting to set in that Philip and crew have been all smoke no fire. A lot of people have been saying (rightfully so) that by just being quiet and not appearing in every mp3 and mp4 file on the internet, Philip and crew would not create unrealistic expectations around Xbox's games library and it's supposed superiority over past Xbox libraries. I guess people are starting to question that if the current and future Xbox has this supposedly unstoppable superior games library then why are Xbox, yet again, relying on a bunch of oldass 15 year old+ games to sell their new box? It's one thing to have backwards compatibility with new flagship games, it's another to have backwards compatibility with no new big games.

4) Whether you like it or not, the console space has three players: Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. Each company will, whether justly or not, be routinely compared to the other companies in the space. With that in mind, assuming no consoles are delayed, Xbox is going up against PlayStation in a few months. The former has leadership that has been all talk and no action, while the latter has leadership that has been (almost to their own detriment at some points) no talk and all action. So the "outrage" is less about the unimpressive Halo (and if we're being honest, even more unimpressive Xbox library) and more about the fact that one company seems to keep talking and getting it wrong while the other seems to keep shutting up and getting it right. If you're invested in the company that keeps fucking up then you're probably going to be "outraged" at what's going on with that company.

To be honest, I don't see a lot of genuine "outrage." Disappointment and dislike, yes, but genuine anger? Not really. I think what you're seeing is a lot of diehard Xbox fans coming to the realization that the current Xbox leadership has overpromised and underdelivered one too many times.
Key words.
Xbox fans coming to the realization that the current Xbox leadership has overpromised and underdelivered one too many times.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So while one group of fan boys play AAA games and different experiences the other can play the waiting game and use their pc to do it all. Okay cut the crap lol

Yeah, no one likes waiting. But most informed gamers see the moves MS has made over the last couple of years and know the wait is almost over. Couldn't say that a few years ago.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A) Xbox Series X hasn't released yet, we don't know if it will deliver, what if head to heads are superior than PS5? what if it actually has good launch titles plus the entire Game Pass library at 4K 60 or 120 and auto HDR plus the entire Xbox BC catalog at launch?
B) No one played Halo Infinite, saw vegetation environments like the first trailer or indoor levels, heck the game could have an amazing campaign story, but now we have to wait to find out because it's all about the visuals, screw 4K silky smooth 60fps and an awesome campaign and multiplayer when under the helmet, Craig's face is ugly :pie_eyeroll:

All we have is the information the two companies have chosen to share. My take is that one is fairly middling and other other one really quite unimpressive.

Maybe that will change before launch as we learn more about what to expect, but I think the general impression is that Microsoft should have been far better prepared for this. They coasted through basically the entire Xbox One generation and everyone was hoping they were just biding their time to bust out the big guns with this generation. I really do hope they have a lot they just haven't been able to reveal yet for one reason or another.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am disappointed by both Sony and Microsoft. I love Halo and the lack of care or love they have shown the franchise over the years, especially in the core games of the franchise? What in the hell are they doing?

I want Microsoft and Sony to be on equal footing with great exclusives to push each other to give better incentives to consumers, however both seem to be fucking it up in different ways. Sony with the for restrictive first party genre releases and social justice/censorship issues, and Microsoft with their focus of always-online/GAAS and lower quality releases.

Imtjnotu

Yeah, no one likes waiting. But most informed gamers see the moves MS has made over the last couple of years and know the wait is almost over. Couldn't say that a few years ago.
But now that Ms first party studios don't seem to have any hard hitters coming this year, or next year, its okay because the wait is almost over?

Not sure how long we should feel comfortable playing the waiting game

Is OP serious that Crackdown 3 turned out bad because they weren't given room to breathe? How many delays did the game have? Am I wrong in remembering it was a game that was first revealed at the beginning of this generation? Like LOL WTF. The only way you justify the idea the game was rushed out is you admit development restarted over and over, which is just awful, why is that the case for so many first party XBOX games now? Like it's also seemingly the case with Halo Infinite, what is going on? And people say a delayed game is eventually good... I guess Duke Nukem Forever just needed 10 more years or something.

Look, to the overall point this is a gaming forum where we discuss video games... what bigger news is there this week than the flagship title for Series X getting delayed? It's really weird how often people get upset that we're all talking about you know... the big thing going on. Like GAF should be some haven where we ignore the bigger topics the rest of the internet loses their shit over? I don't get it.

What do you think this forum would be like if Spider-Man Miles Morales gets delayed?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
But now that Ms first party studios don't seem to have any hard hitters coming this year, or next year, its okay because the wait is almost over?

Not sure how long we should feel comfortable playing the waiting game

Halo Infinite will hit pretty hard. As will Forza Motorsport. So the wait isn't that long.

Or maybe they just used a render farm to create it.

Just seems really weird that what they showed isn't even close. I understand that games might get downgraded after we see an inengine demonstration but when it's that big of a downgrade something is really wrong.

I really hope the final product looks like that trailer because that's how I think next gen games will look like. But in 343s hands I'm not sure if that's possible.

Klayzer

Him spewing that type of crap, and have the audacity to call somebody else a fanboy. Total disarray

JoeDanny

So the general consensus I've gathered from the thread so far is that there seems to be a lack of competency in the decision making at 343, which I'm definitely inclined to agree with.

Do you guys think the disappointing showing of Infinite in July was due to this incompetency, being bogged down by older consoles, or a combination of different factors? To be honest, I think COVID has played a factor in the state of the game but probably not as much as they'd like you to believe.

Raekwon26

So let me get this straight:

- Xbox hype up power.
- Hype up Halo and the Slipspace engine.
- Xbox fans run all over the place telling everybody how revolutionary Halo will be.
- Xbox fans talk about talk about how the 12tf beast Halo will blast everything away. (Threads and posts are there for proof)
- Phil Spencer runs his mouth NON-STOP for about 2 months.
- Greenberg contributes to it as well.

Then we get what we get.

Game looks like shit, gets delayed and not a SINGLE GAME has been shown running on a "SUPER" console that comes out in November.

......... and you expect people should just be like "Eh, whatever."

Oh please..............

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oh BOY another Halo thread. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mods, instead of deleting my posts (pointing out that Gaf is obsessed with Halo) maybe just delete these threads instead. Thanks!

Last edited:

CatLady

Or maybe they just used a render farm to create it.

Just seems really weird that what they showed isn't even close. I understand that games might get downgraded after we see an inengine demonstration but when it's that big of a downgrade something is really wrong.

I really hope the final product looks like that trailer because that's how I think next gen games will look like. But in 343s hands I'm not sure if that's possible.

Yeah it's too bad Playground 2 and Ninja Theory are already working on the 2 most anticipated XsX games or MS should have one of them fix Halo. Since Forza 7 seems like it will come before the next Forza Horizon, maybe they could get Playground 1 to fix Infinite. Even though they only make racing games, I'd trust them more than 343 at this point

No one with a remote interest on halo disagrees with the delay. It's just sony fanboys creating fake outrage about a game and console that they would never buy after months of humiliation and crazy mental gymnastics regarding ps5's inferiority. It would be so much easier if they just came to terms with the fact that MS made a better console this time and are dead serious about competing.

Last edited:
Yeah it's too bad Playground 2 and Ninja Theory are already working on the 2 most anticipated XsX games or MS should have one of them fix Halo. Since Forza 7 seems like it will come before the next Forza Horizon, maybe they could get Playground 1 to fix Infinite. Even though they only make racing games, I'd trust them more than 343 at this point

Every franchise has a life span. If they can't make Halo great again then maybe it's time for them to let the franchise die. I personally don't want to see Halo turned into a crappy 343 franchise.

Virex

Banned
zATj9Y2.gif

People are just really disappointed, my excitement for the future of console gaming was destroyed after the last MS game showcase.

Both systems look terrible IMO

BigLee74

Halo fans need to chill. Halo 5 MP was the best of the series, and proves that 343 can do it.

The campaign demo also showed what looked like good classic gameplay, so again, I would expect a solid single player experience.

Most of the venom on this forum is definitely from Sony fans who just want to give Halo and MS a good kicking. I would bet my wife that most of them haven't played Halo anyway, and likely don't know what they have missed and are missing.

Good things come to those that wait.

Last edited:

CatLady

Every franchise has a life span. If they can't make Halo great again then maybe it's time for them to let the franchise die. I personally don't want to see Halo turned into a crappy 343 franchise.

Nah, a bad Halo is still better than almost anything else to me. and the lore is insanely deep. There are lots of great stories still to be told. If Infinite is still shit after the delay, fire Bonnie Ross, Stinkles and most of the upper management of 343, change directions, devs and reboot it as something new.

Give it to one of Xbox's many WRPG studios or make a new one, absorb any worthwhile members of the 343 team into said WRPG studio, keep the insanely perfect game/gunplay and make it an ARPG with a new hero maybe have a cameo or 2 from MC. Oh yeah, for the love of God, get Marty O'Donnell back.

Halo can NEVER die!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So let me get this straight:

- Xbox hype up power.
- Hype up Halo and the Slipspace engine.
- Xbox fans run all over the place telling everybody how revolutionary Halo will be.
- Xbox fans talk about talk about how the 12tf beast Halo will blast everything away. (Threads and posts are there for proof)
- Phil Spencer runs his mouth NON-STOP for about 2 months.
- Greenberg contributes to it as well.

Then we get what we get.

Game looks like shit, gets delayed and not a SINGLE GAME has been shown running on a "SUPER" console that comes out in November.

......... and you expect people should just be like "Eh, whatever."

Oh please..............

All of this. It's not only that Halo has been delayed, The constant messages around their console and power and weird kinda marketing on social media, not to mention that they have to convince their fans every time with tweets. It all seems amateurish to me and not professional at all. Their power talk will never help either, but apparently they still haven't learned anything.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Because both are pretty bad.

HALO needs to be completely cancelled for the Xbox One. Needs to be Series X and PC only.

Crew 511A

I think the anger is justified. When Halo 5 launched, it was a mess of missing features. No BTB, no Forge, no split screen. Low content. What was there played pretty well (IMO). But the storyline in the campaign was a dumpster fire.

The fact it took 343 5 years to make Halo Infinite meant to me that they were working to fix these problems. From what we saw in that brief video, there's no indication 343 learned a thing.

Top Bottom