• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is GAF so outraged over Halo and Xbox right now?

Bryank75

Banned
He accused people of being racist? I didn't know that. I was actually referring to him being the reason for the shitty review embargo and that he asked a Sony rep to contact the person who reviewed TLOUP2 for Vice because he gave it a bad review. Then, there's the entire situation regarding taking down YouTube videos because he didn't like other people's opinions.

I don't think Druckmann's ego would allow him to take a demotion so you probably would have to let him go.
Sorry, not racist but transphobic or something like that... basically prejudiced.

Ten_Fold

Halo looks like a late 360 game or early xbone game, halo is suppose to be a AAA flagship game that looks and plays amazing. During the bungie days you KNEW Halo 3 was gonna be that game once it came out, 343 is meh as a studio. Microsoft was talking like they was gonna crush Sony, but they don’t even have a better launch game or even launch window game than Spider-Man.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Maybe, but I'm not wrong. There's clear Sony fanboyism run amok here. Fanboyism that's been subdued for the last 6 years when everyone realized the PS4 ran away with this gen.

Now a new gen is about to start. The score is 0-0, and XBox had a hell of an off-season. Sony's Stan's are afraid.
Nobody Is afraid when they look at how weak MS’ Xbox Show and especially Halo was.
They hyped themselves but did not deliver, even disappointed.

If you want to talk sports its something like this:
MS : Sony
-1 : 0

I dont think anyone here wishes MS or 343 to fail, not even the most hardcore Playstation fan.
All the harmless mockery that occurred over the past weeks wasnt some big Sony-fanboy plot, but litterally just plenty of videogame enthusiasts from all sorts of sides that made fun of the mess.
Halo needed to be pushed backwards as it wasnt ready.
Eventually Craig will fade and people will move on.
Halo will hopfully release at a later date in a better state.
Nobody needs to be salty.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I’m fairly convinced a lot of the “outrage” was from those who were never really planning on buying halo or an xbox in the first place.
Its MS's job to convert the opinion of those people, or at least silence them. MS achieved neither and thats the problem

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Nobody Is afraid when they look at how weak MS’ Xbox Show and especially Halo was.
They hyped themselves but did not deliver, even disappointed.

If you want to talk sports its something like this:
MS : Sony
-1 : 0

I don't buy it. MS is now a threat. They weren't before which is why we used to see less anti XBox stuff on GAF.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, not racist but transphobic or something like that... basically prejudiced.

Oh, okay. Funny thing is that
Lev
didn't bother me at all. If anything, was one of the characters that I actually liked.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You're mistaken in thinking that it's outrage. It's pure, unbridled joy and fanboy giddiness disguised as concern. This place is still one of the biggest sony fanboy havens on the internet.

Last edited:

M.W.

You're mistaken in thinking that it's outrage. It's pure, unbridled joy and fanboy giddiness disguised as concern. This place is still one of the biggest sony fanboy havens on the internet.
Vl9tEqW.png

MrFunSocks

Banned

Example A:

It's not JUST this. This is just the last straw for some. Many of us reached that point a long time ago.

But if there was one project they could not afford to screw up it was Halo. Especially after how long and how much money they spent to have it ready to launch their console.

It just finally shined enough light on just how far behind their competitors they have fallen over the last ten years. From a games perspective, things have actually gotten worse under Spencer.

Dude's never even gone close to buying an xbox lol.

It's so weird to me how much people claim this place is some SONY haven. I have problems with the way XBOX is going and as a result am more likely to get a PS5 at launch, does that make me some kinda SONY pony?

Here... this is mine... show me yours, show me how much more dedicated you are Microsoft's run of plastic boxes...

i1von82.png

This place is still one of the biggest sony fanboy havens on the internet.
2eajb3.jpg

Yeah you can stop now. It's getting pretty petty at this point.

If you have s problem with this place you can talk to Mod of War Mod of War or Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights about it. I'm sure they can help you out.

You don't have to be here if you really don't like this place. It's all up to you.

Last edited:
My Switch is so damn cute. It's hard to admit but it's cuter than my 1X.

Damn, really I am a traitor aren't I? Oh, well, I'm good with that. The NintenBros are totally chill, unlike always angry teams blue & green.

Say something bad about Nintendo in the Nintendo thread. I dare you.

VAVA Mk2

Since the E3 where Microsoft we DRM and tv crazy with the “underpowered” XO announcement, people moved to Sony and it’s been cool to bash Microsoft for a few years now. Any chance to bash, they bash, especially since MS is going with more powerful hardware.
More powerful hardware doesn't mean shit unless you have good software to run on it. That's like someone making a graphing calculator with a 3080Ti inside...whoopdie fucking do.

Last edited:
Done.

Now what? This prove something?

HTNzvN6.jpg

You didn't answer my question. Having a higher Gamerscore/more games played on XBOX plastic boxes wasn't all I was asking, I'm asking am I a SONY shill, a concern troll, a whatever else because I don't think some of these decisions are great and if so... what's the threshold for not being a concern troll, Sony shill or whatever else... is it 200K gamerscore? 1,000 games played on their plastic box? I see accusations that people upset about some of this stuff have NEVER touched an XBOX system so I'm just trying to figure out when someone crosses over from being a troll to being a fan with legit problems, and that's the thing... fans more than anyone else should have problems. The tribalism around consoles is just too much for me, if I post about how weak sauce it is Cyberpunk 2077 no longer has wall-running and shit no one accuses me of being a shill for something else, it's a multi-plat that most people are excited for, so my concerns are automatically viewed as genuine.

Raonak

Banned
It's good that halo got delayed.
But, it's bad for MS, and makes them look very unprepared for next gen.

Remember how at the start of the year, Xbox mindshare was very high, and people were concerned about sony...
Now, xbox is just a meme.

Kagey K

Banned
You didn't answer my question. Having a higher Gamerscore/more games played on XBOX plastic boxes wasn't all I was asking, I'm asking am I a SONY shill, a concern troll, a whatever else because I don't think some of these decisions are great and if so... what's the threshold for not being a concern troll, Sony shill or whatever else... is it 200K gamerscore? 1,000 games played on their plastic box? I see accusations that people upset about some of this stuff have NEVER touched an XBOX system so I'm just trying to figure out when someone crosses over from being a troll to being a fan with legit problems, and that's the thing... fans more than anyone else should have problems. The tribalism around consoles is just too much for me, if I post about how weak sauce it is Cyberpunk 2077 no longer has wall-running and shit no one accuses me of being a shill for something else, it's a multi-plat that most people are excited for, so my concerns are automatically viewed as genuine.
You didn’t say any of that in your post. I did exactly as you asked.

The rest of this post isn’t worth engaging, in my opinion.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Say something bad about Nintendo in the Nintendo thread. I dare you.

The Nintendo fans don't come into threads for other platforms and endlessly troll derail, generally annoy and console war, I mean look at this thread for example about Xbox; there are more Sony super fans in here trolling than Xbox fans, but I don't see any Nintendo fans in here trolling.

Unless you count Jooxed Jooxed outing me as a new member of the Nintendo Mafia :messenger_beaming:

SO consequently even if I hated Nintendo, I would never go into a Nintendo thread to make negative comments about that platform or fans.

But just out of curiosity what would happen should one say something bad in a Nintendo thread????

Kagey K

Banned
The Nintendo fans don't come into threads for other platforms and endlessly troll derail, generally annoy and console war, I mean look at this thread for example about Xbox; there are more Sony super fans in here trolling than Xbox fans, but I don't see any Nintendo fans in here trolling.

Unless you count Jooxed Jooxed outing me as a new member of the Nintendo Mafia :messenger_beaming:

SO consequently even if I hated Nintendo, I would never go into a Nintendo thread to make negative comments about that platform or fans.

But just out of curiosity what would happen should one say something bad in a Nintendo thread????

Have you never heard of the Nintendo Ninjas?

You don’t want to mess with them.

Raonak

Banned
This is a great point. Do you recall previous generations console wars being so heated?
It was always heated, granted internet has made it worse, but it was a thing since Nintendo vs Sega wars.
The PS3 vs 360 vs Wii war was a fucking bloodbath.

It's just that PS1, PS2 and PS4 gens were lopsided, so people didn't really care as much.

Halo getting delayed gave me the biggest smile ever.. I can understand why some folks were angry, they were already savoring that IGN score of 6.

You didn’t say any of that in your post. I did exactly as you asked.

The rest of this post isn’t worth engaging, in my opinion.

" I have problems with the way XBOX is going and as a result am more likely to get a PS5 at launch, does that make me some kinda SONY pony?" - It's right there in the post, I elaborated on it in the follow up is all. You can go back and look at the post, it has no edit history, the question is in your quote as well, you just ignored it and put your dick on the table for measuring for no reason?? The weird part is you acted like responding to part of my post also had no purpose, you asked me what it proved while ignoring the actual context behind me sharing mine and asking someone else to share theirs. It's like you live in this bizarro world where people aren't making entire arguments, you just engage the parts you can argue with.

You clearly think my posts are worth engaging (hence posting your gamer card) but only on the condition you ignore what they're actually about and hope other people don't see through what you're doing.

Last edited:

Perhaps i'm a little out of place in this whole thread and what not...since I'm someone who believes in buying em all lol..I don't have any allegiance to anything and if I had to point at one box more than the other it would be my PC

But as someone whose lurked on here way more than hes actually contributed...I always felt like Nintendo fans are just like Nintendo..Minding their own business over 'there somewhere' while Sony vs Xbox rages on :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

disclaimer(LOL) : before anyone comes for me just know I am a console/game collector and I think anyone pledging allegiance to just one or a company is crazy...I play on everything at the moment..from a NES to a Virtual boy I fixed up and got working, to even running through Gex on my 3DO before my puppy knocked the shxt off the table.

I think the console wars are entertaining...but I also think some of the people on the two sides are a little crazy at times. I don't want any trouble, i'ma go back to lurking and making my random ass once in awhile type post 🤷‍♂️

Tschumi

I mean, just a couple of days ago I wrote a thread about Halo: Infinite that tried to ignore the problems with it...

...but I think, really, it was a mix of how smirky, self-assured and dismissive xBox fans were for months, ever since PS5 was said to have fewer TFLOPs etc, and how hilariously awful Inifinite looked... And the dude's dumbass "I feel good after PS5 reveal" tweet... Just all of these things came together to open up a nuclear can of schadenfreude whoopass against xBox fans and xBox bragging.

" I have problems with the way XBOX is going and as a result am more likely to get a PS5 at launch, does that make me some kinda SONY pony?" - It's right there in the post, I elaborated on it in the follow up is all. You can go back and look at the post, it has no edit history, the question is in your quote as well, you just ignored it and put your dick on the table for measuring for no reason?? The weird part is you acted like responding to part of my post also had no purpose, you asked me what it proved while ignoring the actual context behind me sharing mine and asking someone else to share theirs. It's like you live in this bizarro world where people aren't making entire arguments, you just engage the parts you can argue with.

As someone who buys all the consoles I will admit the direction Microsoft is going has made me decide to hold off on buying a Series X and I plan on just running whatever they offer on my PC for the time being...Then again maybe they'll show something between now and then that'll change my mind.
I plan on getting on a PS5 cause they haven't shown me a bunch of horrible reasons NOT to...but I also will admit that with whats been shown so far the only games I'm seriously interested in from them are Ratchet/Clank and Deathloop(which I plan on playing on my PC).

Then again I don't think console launch titles for Sony or Microsoft machines have ever really sparked any excitement for me...its usually the 2nd and 3rd year releases from their respective consoles that made me feel like the machines were 'must haves'.

Dope gamerscore by the way, you got me a little bit i'm at like 69500 lol

JTCx

For some reason Dominos has the best tasting pizza right now

I mean, just a couple of days ago I wrote a thread about Halo: Infinite that tried to ignore the problems with it...

...but I think, really, it was a mix of how smirky, self-assured and dismissive xBox fans were for months, ever since PS5 was said to have fewer TFLOPs etc, and how hilariously awful Inifinite looked... And the dude's dumbass "I feel good after PS5 reveal" tweet... Just all of these things came together to open up a nuclear can of schadenfreude whoopass against xBox fans and xBox bragging.

Good post. I think the Alan Greenberg or w/e his name is guy is really the issue. Phil Spencers messaging has been pretty stupid, but that other guy has said some straight up stupid sh that kind of set them up for a lot of blow back.

pixelation

All I'm seeing on GAF is pure earth-shattering asshurt over the decision to delay Halo Infinite (which Halo and Xbox fans seem to be supportive of throughout those communities) and how it spells Xbox's obvious doom .
Newsflash my dude... it's not just GAF, the Craig memes are everywhere. How incompetent are 343i industries that they've been working away on this game for five years... and they still need more time? (and what we saw was... let's face it, woefully below-par for Microsoft's flagship title). So in short my dude... not just GAF, the ridicule MS and Halo have been getting is everywhere (FB, YT, Twitter... etc.)
This was the problem with pretty much the entire Xbone generation, with half-baked first party games being pushed out the door early to meet holiday sales.
And who was at fault?, had they delayed those games Microsoft would've had an even smaller selection of first party games than what they actually put out (let's face it, pretty lackluster first party output this gen both in quantity and quality). They need to get their first party studios in order.
Now we're seeing MS give their first party devs time to finish their games, evidenced by the fact that we're seeing many of the big games being released a few years into the launch of the XsX.
And that's a very bad thing, their output this gen was pretty bad and very far in between, you would've assumed that they were saving those games (that we didn't see on XBO) to release close to the launch of the XBSX to come out guns blazing. Turns out... that we haven't even seen anything running on an actual XBSX, and what we saw (Halo Infinite) well... we all know how that one turned out.
The biggest talking point I'm seeing regarding this is that the PS5 will obviously beat out Xbox this holiday. But... where are the big PS5 games?
SpiderMan Miles Morales for one?, the first game sold pretty well. People have been waiting for a Miles Morales game, people won't care (and frankly... the casuals won't even know it's not a "full fledged game") they'll see SpiderMan Miles Morales exclusive to PS5 and that alone is enough for plenty people... certainly more than... ahem... The Medium.
So why the hatred for Xbox?
It's not hatred, in my case used to find it funny how their reps would (and still) run their mouths. Talking all this shit about... "oh you'll see... next E3 will be the best XB E3 EVAH!!!" and it's always dissapointment central (for years now), leading up to the recent MS events Phil feeling "confident" after the PS5 event sure made it sound like they were gonna kill it... instead they neutered their own hype. But hey!, Phil is the good guy guys!... let's believe him yet again, maybe this time he will actually be proven right!... next E3 maybe?

This is a great point. Do you recall previous generations console wars being so heated?

They get pretty bad...on another forum I regularly post on...a pro sony kid got his personal google+ account, family address, parents, place of employment, his ex, his actual girlfriend at the time, and what school he graduated from all exposed. Shit made me realize how crazy people get for these consoles

GHG

I've owned every Xbox.

Don't waste your time, you won't get a response.

These people would rather believe its other people who are the problem rather than the company and the management who call the shots at said company.

Last edited:
As someone who buys all the consoles I will admit the direction Microsoft is going has made me decide to hold off on buying a Series X and I plan on just running whatever they offer on my PC for the time being...Then again maybe they'll show something between now and then that'll change my mind.
I plan on getting on a PS5 cause they haven't shown me a bunch of horrible reasons NOT to...but I also will admit that with whats been shown so far the only games I'm seriously interested in from them are Ratchet/Clank and Deathloop(which I plan on playing on my PC).

Then again I don't think console launch titles for Sony or Microsoft machines have ever really sparked any excitement for me...its usually the 2nd and 3rd year releases from their respective consoles that made me feel like the machines were 'must haves'.

Dope gamerscore by the way, you got me a little bit i'm at like 69500 lol

The launch games I want are almost all multi-plats, honestly. A PS5 is cheaper than upgrading my PC. I can't do 4k/60FPS in Destiny 2 on PC but PS5 can! To be fair I usually don't play Destiny 2 at as low a framerate as 60 but that's just me being a weirdo, my display is 60hz, I can barely tell the difference between 120 and 60, it's just that I'd rather the game DROP to 60 than to 30, because the latter is much uglier and if you v-sync Destiny 2 it's going to drop that's all there is to it. I'd really like to have like a G-sync monitor at some point but whatever.

As far as past console launches... well... I didn't get a PS3 at launch, I got one when Killzone 2 released, but I did end up being a big fan of Resistance: Fall of Man when I did get to it. On 360 Condemned Criminal Origins was great and so was Call of Duty 2, I still remember seeing that CoD 2 demo in a Best Buy and thinking OH SHIT THAT SMOKE LOOKS REAL. Though I didn't get 360 at launch, I got it in like January because I had a dream I bought one and then had to have it. With this past generation I actually loved Killzone Shadow Fall, I'm a big fan of that franchise. Halo CE is one of my favorite games and still my favorite Halo, another game I was wowed by when I saw a demo in a store, this time a Toys 'R Us. I traded in 250 CDs and asked my mom to give me christmas money as a present early to make up for the amount I didn't have for it. I wonder what you get for trading in CDs nowadays? Though, I guess Ebay is the way to go, man, that was 250 METAL albums, imagine how many are now rare as fuck and worth real money? I wasn't much for future planning at that age, still am not. If we go further back I'm less sure of what counts as a launch title without actually looking it up and I never got prior consoles at launch besides Dreamcast and Dreamcast... I'll be honest... besides a couple games (Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage and Resident Evil: Code Veronica) I never really liked the Dreamcast much. I understand it's got like a cult following now, a friend bought mine off me with all my games, for instance and I think I had stuff people liked, I know I had Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia among the 20+ games I ever owned for it. I believe in killer apps, though, if I'm not having a dream that makes me want something it's a killer app that does it. Even PC has killer apps, in 2011 I bought a gaming PC for Crysis 2, in 2013 I bought another one for Crysis 3 and gave the 2011 one to my brother and told him FUCK OFF, DO NOT EVER TOUCH MY 2013 GAMING PC haha. It reminds me of my love/hate relationship with PS3, I bought it for Killzone 2... then got tired of it, traded it in. Then I bought it for Killzone 3... got tired of it... traded it in... eventually got it a third time this time was just because the black friday deal was sweet but hey, it worked out, TLOU came out.

I'm rambling, I guess, I'm getting a PS5 at launch to play the new Destiny 2 DLC and that Destiny 2 rip-off game and Cyberpunk 2077, etc. if someone says "but Series X will play them better" my answer is OKAY, but eventually there will be a God of War 2, some new Naughty Dog game, Horizon Zero Dawn 2 so... that's that. Either way I'm only saying no Series X at launch, can't guarantee how I'll feel a year or two in. I mean, will it be the first XBOX SKU I don't buy? (not joking, One, One S, One X... all of them, not to mention so many RRoD 360s I went through most SKUs they did lol) I doubt it but hey, I still haven't bought a Switch, that's the first Nintendo console I didn't buy, but it puts out a good new Metroid game I'm down.

For some reason Dominos has the best tasting pizza right now

I guess besides local joints yeah they've become a really good chain pizza place. Especially if you want it cheap and you want it fast.

They get pretty bad...on another forum I regularly post on...a pro sony kid got his personal google+ account, family address, parents, place of employment, his ex, his actual girlfriend at the time, and what school he graduated from all exposed. Shit made me realize how crazy people get for these consoles

It's been a thing since Sega and Nintendo. I used to post on Rotten Tomatoes' video game forums during the 360 gen and man... I can tell you right now the Sony ponies there DID NOT like me at all. I dunno what they wanted from me, BLOPS II on PS3 looked like someone smeared vaseline on the screen compared to the 360 version. I love arguing, always have always will and I don't think enough of myself to believe I can steer what people argue about, if people wanna argue about which plastic box is better I'll do that, I mean... I'd rather argue if Killzone or Crysis is the better franchise, which Destiny 2 guns are best or if RE 7 or Alien Isolation was scarier but people are way more invested in plastic box arguments and I like chiming in regardless of what weird slurs I get called each generation for doing so. I still remember in 2011 when I got that gaming PC, man I loved it and I loved going on those RT forums as a PCMR shit heel troll, it was so fun, lol.

MistBreeze

People want microsoft to be like 360 days

aggressive qualityAAA games developer and gamers focused

instead we get a wasted potential a beast hardware focused in subscriptions serviceS and gaas and f2p

why stay in console bussiness anymore? this model do not sell consoles

phill is so naive Yes the ecosystem is great with BC focused but no one buy a new console solely for BC

DeaDPo0L84

Now a new gen is about to start. The score is 0-0, and XBox had a hell of an off-season. Sony's Stan's are afraid.

Okay so you're doubling down on your nonsensical post.

Also this isn't the NFL playoffs, this isn't how mindshare and playerbase operate. Just cause this gen is coming to a close doesn't mean those millions of playstation gamers suddenly go "well that's a wrap, time to see what next gen has in store". Sony will continue to do what it does which will keep its playerbase and Xbox will continue doing what it does to maintain its playerbase.

You post some truly bizarre fanboy wet dreams that are based 100% in fantasy land with zero facts to support them.

DeaDPo0L84

I don't buy it. MS is now a threat. They weren't before which is why we used to see less anti XBox stuff on GAF.

Orrrr,stick with me,maybe Xbox is just fucking up a lot 🤷‍♂️. But nah it must be because people who play on other platforms are ScArEd that Xbox might release a blockbuster 1st party title in 2-3 years. Man, get help, or go play a game or some shit,damn.

I've owned every Xbox.

I don't mean this to fuel the stupid console warring but it's fucking delicious you have a giant Playstation neon sign above your TV mate. I see you own various Xbox consoles but it's too good not to highlight your setup.

As for why this die hard Halo fan is outraged in a simplistic statement -

343 repeatedly raised expectations every game release, they have never hit or exceeded their own goalposts with Halo games they developed.

Infinite right along with all the great moves from Xbox were building hype and a return to form with the Halo teasers in engine and a new XSX console hand in hand. All of that went out the window with their most recent gameplay reveal and we truly got to see a lacklustre and very much this generation game/engine. A complete lack of anything the game was about, nothing ground breaking in terms of gameplay or FPS or graphics or interactivity or cloud or anything really. There was very little shown at a AAA standard let alone next generation level or even in terms of different areas or events or unique gameplay. Xbox has wonderful hardware, supporting programs (BC, GP, xCloud, Azure) and some interesting games coming, it appears at launch time we're going to be looking to third party titles in place of any first party Xbox Studios IP.

You can't continually raise expectations, not meet them and underdeliver consistently. MCC finally has course correction, Infinite's reveal and delay took us all the way back to those dark Halo days. It ruins the whole momentum of the brand, imagine your favourite sports star player or mascot comes out of suspension for 4 years, shows up drunk, yelling at the crowd and pops the game ball so you have to wait to attend another game all while still claiming to be MVP. Are you going to keep inviting them back for their 3rd or 4th chance to entertain and inspire the community? Yeah as a Halo fan that's pretty much where things feel with 343.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There is a little bit of censorship which isn't good but most of the 1st party are not really focused on social justice from what I can see..... only TLOU2 had that type of vibe for me.

Of course you're absolutely entitled to your opinion but I think R&C, BB, GOW, Horizon, Days Gone, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima were all ok for mostly avoiding those issues.

ND is the main culprit and chiefly Neil Druckmann. IMO.

Oh, I wasn't saying that social justice is a major issue within the games themselves (outside of ND as you pointed out), but that the move to California HQ has caused Social justice to seep into how they deal with games in general. What gets censored, what games get banned from the platform (such as Super Seducer). Hence the "social justice/censorship" part. Sorry if it wasn't clearer.

Top Bottom