• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Nier Automata's open world so tedious to navigate?

Alo0oy

Banned
Have you gone back to Horizon at all? I mean, I like that game a lot too, I got the Platinum Trophy, but I just can't relate at all.

I was actually playing both at the same time for a while.

I just can't deal with super powered Androids being unable to navigate terrain better than real world humans that live right now.

I know some people are fine with it, and I was for a while, but after the 100th side quest and after stumbling on nonexistent terrain for the 1000th time, it started getting grating. I'm at a point where I curse at the game every time my character stumbles.

Have you gone back to Horizon at all? I mean, I like that game a lot too, I got the Platinum Trophy, but I just can't relate at all.

I have. Aloy does move alot slower and the lack of a decent jump/dash feels weird.
At the same time, moving slowly through that world is still good fun. There are plenty of things to see, find and fight - and of course it's stunning.

By comparison, in Nier I just rush to the nearest objective or transport to advance the quest or story. I have zero interest in fighting or finding anything, because it's just not interesting.

I was actually playing both at the same time for a while.

I just can't deal with super powered Androids being unable to navigate terrain better than real world humans that live right now.

I know some people are fine with it, and I was for a while, but after the 100th side quest and after stumbling on nonexistent terrain for the 1000th time, it started getting grating. I'm at a point where I curse at the game every time my character stumbles.
I only encountered one instance of "nonexistent terrain" that I keep tripping over on the way to the desert from the city in my 60 hours. Just look where you're going.

Personally I had a hard time playing Horizon after Nier due to traversal. Sure, Horizon's world looks prettier. Wanna get up this building? Gotta find those Uncharted-style color-coded ledges. If I want to get on a building in Nier, I just do a couple of crazy ninja flips and I'm there. They're clearly aiming for different things, doing ninja flips would break Horizon in some places. Just bums me out from time to time. Fantastic games though, love 'em both.

As I mentioned in the OP, you have to go to thr menu every time you use a mount, and then every time you dismount. It's very tedious. They could have solved it by giving you a "call mount" button.

I wouldn't even use a mount if the game didn't actively try to halt your momentum every time you trip of a tiny stone.
No you don't. There is a side quest in route A that finishing it will give you the ability to use mounts without the need to put any bait down.

I'm not really sure (and this is mostly marketing's fault I'm sure) why Automata was touted as "open world." It's really no more open world than say, Ocarina of Time or anything. There's a hub and spokes with "dungeons" in them. Outside of exploring for quests and looking into obvious points of interests, I don't think the world is meant to be as interactive or deep as something like Zelda or Horizon. It's not trying to be that kind of experience.

As for the actual traversal mechanics, I never had any problem with movement, although the fast travel points are a relief when they appear and I don't really feel bad about using them almost exclusively for side quest travel and stuff.

You can do a side quest that gets you a pouch that lets you ride animals without bait.

The fast travel made up for the constant back and forth you have to do IMO.

Also, don't play Zelda BOTW OP. If Nier's traversal was annoying to you then BOTW will make you tear your hair out.

BOTW traversal feels great for me. Actually it might be the reason i'm struggling with Automata's open world.
That early game village for example... stairs stairs stairs when 2B jump could reach all the places i want. Also the constant feeling of "hey, a shortcut, nice...NOPE, INVISIBLE WALL"

HeelPower

I thought this post would be by someone who just started.

You're in C.Not to sound dismissive,but you should know your way around by now :p

Open world aint too big,game gives you unlimited stamina to Run and you can Teleport.

The map is a little hairy though.

Personally I had a hard time playing Horizon after Nier due to traversal. Sure, Horizon's world looks prettier. Wanna get up this building? Gotta find those Uncharted-style color-coded ledges. If I want to get on a building in Nier, I just do a couple of crazy ninja flips and I'm there. They're clearly aiming for different things, doing ninja flips would break Horizon in some places. Just bums me out from time to time. Fantastic games though, love 'em both.

Yeah,traversal in Nier is so smooth.Despite the game have no mount system.

Just straight amazing controls & uncapped stamina.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
As I mentioned in the OP, you have to go to thr menu every time you use a mount, and then every time you dismount. It's very tedious. They could have solved it by giving you a "call mount" button.

I wouldn't even use a mount if the game didn't actively try to halt your momentum every time you trip of a tiny stone.

Is that how bait works?
Interesting never used. Seems like I progressed too fast and before I noticed I could just stand near animals and press circle to mount.

Arklite

Have you gone back to Horizon at all? I mean, I like that game a lot too, I got the Platinum Trophy, but I just can't relate.

Haven't finished Horizon yet but I keep wishing for some kind of glide mechanic to get me off cliff sides. Wandering off is exciting on the way up and annoying on the way down.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm not really sure (and this is mostly marketing's fault I'm sure) why Automata was touted as "open world." It's really no more open world than say, Ocarina of Time or anything. There's a hub and spokes with "dungeons" in them. Outside of exploring for quests and looking into obvious points of interests, I don't think the world is meant to be as interactive or deep as something like Zelda or Horizon. It's not trying to be that kind of experience.

As for the actual traversal mechanics, I never had any problem with movement, although the fast travel points are a relief when they appear and I don't really feel bad about using them almost exclusively for side quest travel and stuff.

I actually have no issues with the open world itself. I'm very tolerant to open worlds in general so the world itself is fine to me.

I just hate the movement and traversal.

Freeman76

Although graphically Horizon trumps this, and even in Open World design maybe, but as a game I found it so generic I couldnt bring myself to play it much. I sold it and bought Nier and have played nothing else all week. A very refreshing game with plenty of unique ideas, rare these days especially when everyone raves about the latest copycat.

I've found Automata's world quite empty after coming off Horizon and spending time with BotW, but it is completely understandable considering the budget it would have been made on, and the game's focus. Story and gameplay were the priority, and that's okay. Horizon/BotW also generally had something interesting to run into whilst you're going from Point A to Point B, even if you're retreading old ground. With Automata, there's not really going to be anything until you arrive at Point B. To Automata's credit, it certainly does do something interesting things with its world, ie some funny sidequests that take you on interesting routes or
throwing in large bosses and changing a chunk of the terrain
. I was pretty frustrated until I unlocked fast travel, though. For me, the world just feels 1/3 bigger than it really needs to be, and it does make it a bit tedious to traverse at times, especially because you'll be retreading the same areas over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I probably would have preferred a world size a bit expanded from the original Nier. The original Nier had a lot of repetition, too, but it took a lot less for you to get to where you needed to go.

Automata a fucking clever game, though, with some great improvements on the original Nier, I'm absolutely having a blast. I also love it when 2B goes into turbo run mode. vroooommmmm

KHlover

Banned
You can do a side quest that gets you a pouch that lets you ride animals without bait.

The fast travel made up for the constant back and forth you have to do IMO.

Also, don't play Zelda BOTW OP. If Nier's traversal was annoying to you then BOTW will make you tear your hair out.
I feel the exact opposite way. Going from Zelda to Nier annoyed me because traversal is so limited.

Yohane

I find automata world so easy and fast to traverse. At least the central hub area. The other connected parts are pretty linear.

dan2026

To be honest the inconsistent frame rate when wondering around the world started to give me a headache.
I had to put the game down.

Not sure I'll go back to it.

"Why is a semi post-apocalyptic world boring to roam around?"

This game is probably the ugliest game I have played on PS4. Art doesn't save it. World is pretty boring. And yes, a post post-apocalyptic world doesn't have to look boring or be boring to roam around in ít.

That said, game does some amazing things and that's why I can look easily past that.

Famassu

It is? I mean, I'm not too far into the game but with how fast running around is + there being some platforming + doing combat every now & then + exploring & collecting shit + the environments not being all that large, I'm not finding it tedious at all.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's not like far cry, Zelda, dragon age inquisition etc is it?

Just don't want to play a lot of open games anymore

While a lot of posters in this thread have a problem with the open world itself, I'm personally fine with it. I just hate navigating it.

From a lore stand point, it's more interesting than Far Cry and DA, I haven't played Zelda though.

Famassu

This game is probably the ugliest game I have played on PS4. Art doesn't save it. World is pretty boring. And yes, a post post-apocalyptic world doesn't have to look boring or be boring to roam around in ít.

That said, game does some amazing things and that's why I can look easily past that.
Maybe it can be the ugliest if you've only played, like, Uncharteds & Horizons & inFamouses, but it's still not an ugly game, though it has its weak moments. The colours can be a bit dull but there's often epicness to its scale that makes it pretty impressive to look at even if it doesn't have the production values of Horizon and the art style DOES help the game have its pretty moments

Maybe it can be the ugliest if you've only played, like, Uncharteds & Horizons & inFamouses, but it's still not an ugly game, though it has its weak moments. The colours can be a bit dull but there's often epicness to its scale that makes it pretty impressive to look at even if it doesn't have the production values of Horizon and the art style DOES help the game have its pretty moments

That's a subjective opinion and I think this game is mostly ugly. Ugly in a technical sense, not art wise.

Roussow

I actually really enjoyed using the traversal abilities to get around the map and find stuff in really creative ways, finding routes up giant tree branches, linking together jumps with dashes and the pod-launcher to reach out of the way spots is super satisfying, that one handed hover down to the ground looks great, too. Actually a lot of what makes traversal satisfying is those character animations, especially in the desert, where you're sliding around all over the place, and jumping mid slide gives you this really cool cartwheel-jump, it all looks gorgeous.

magnetic

Feels like I'm playing a 360 Sonic game, some of the enemy parts you collect even look like golden rings.

Rolling around at the speed of sound,
Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Totally agree with you, OP. Maybe BotW spoiled me.

I think such small complaints about the game say a lot. Most I hear is about the archaic save system that Yoko Taro put in deliberately to troll because some reviewer in the past said he hated the archaic save system.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's pretty annoying, I agree. Quicktravel is a godsend but the game does have you force-traverse the areas too frequently for me liking.

Which is weird because I don't recall really having issues with the original world in nier but it's actually pretty annoying to me in automata.

Eumi

It's a game where you run twice as fast as most games, can fast travel to every single area on the map, load times are short and there are no area transitions, can ride animals that spawn at fast travel points to go even faster, and the map itself is quite small.

What open world games aren't tedious by your standards?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Can't say i agree OP. I love how off kilter and not by the books the world is. Fits right in with YT's usual schtick, OG Nier was the same in that kind of regard.

They even tell you right at the beginning there is no autosave and not to expect one giving out a thematic reason by uploading your memories to the bunker.

Sure it may be cumbersome for some, but the world is small enough that i dont really have much issue finding my way or navigating around, even doing side missions.

It's a pretty small world. Probably one of the smalles "open world" games if you can even call it that.

And also you get an item to hop on mounts without bait. I never used a bait.

Famassu

Totally agree with you, OP. Maybe BotW spoiled me.
Eh? The constant, neverending climbing and slow & too short sprinting & the fucking horse always being left behind and then having to wait for it forever (if it's even close enough to hear you) make BOTW's exploration far more tedious than going through Automata's environments, as cool as the POIs in BOTW are on average.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The bulk of the game to me is just moving around the world and exploring it for quests. If the movement options were bad it would get annoying fast but I find there to be an immense freedom to the movement. It is super fluid in a way that lets you just book it to pretty much anywhere. You only trip on debris or plant overgrowth, and even if you do trip you can basically just dash again immediately at no cost. Even for short distances you basically have an infinite dash to move around objects. It feels amazing to me.

magnetic

I think such small complaints about the game say a lot. Most I hear is about the archaic save system that Yoko Taro put in deliberately to troll because some reviewer in the past said he hated the archaic save system.

I guess I'm supposed to find that delightfully quirky and refreshing, but in my eyes that's simply a bit of a dick move, making all players suffer because you have an issue with that one guy.

I don't have a problem with the saving so far, though, save points are frequent and have that nice radius you can use them in.

I hope he made it that way because he actually thinks it's the best system for his game and not simply to be spiteful.

Inuhanyou

I guess I'm supposed to find that delightfully quirky and refreshing, but in my eyes that's simply a bit of a dick move, making all players suffer because you have an issue with that one guy.

I don't have a problem with the saving so far, though, save points are frequent and have that nice radius you can use them in.

I hope he made it that way because he actually thinks it's the best system for his game and not simply to be spiteful.

They decided to put in fishing cause everyone complained about how much they hated fishing in the original, that's just how YT rolls lmao

Obviously he takes gameplay systems into account, but he balances that with just being a troll who dont give a flip

Ferr986

At this point I feel like everything bad in a Yoko Taro game is because "he wants to troll people" for some and never because it was a legit misstep in the game.

I dunno, maybe it's not a troll and it's a system they didn't think it properly. Or fuck, even if it's to troll, there's limits to have when you're creating a game.

Mind you, I didn't play Automata yet (I may start it today!) and I love Nier to death but I always see "this is bad because Taro is a troll" and I don't think it's always true, it's kinda annoying and sends a bad message about him and his games.

They decided to put in fishing cause everyone complained about how much they hated fishing in the original, that's just how YT rolls lmao

The difference is that the fishing complains were stupid, and came from people that didnt even know how to listen or read to know you had to fish in another spot. Pretty different than putting archaic save systems.

Inuhanyou

At this point I feel like everything bad in a Yoko Taro game is because "he wants to troll people" for some and never because it was a legit misstep in the game.

I dunno, maybe it's not a troll and it's a system they didn't think it properly. Or fuck, even if it's to troll, there's limits to have when you're creating a game.

Mind you, I didn't play Automata yet (I may start it today!) and I love Nier to death but I always see "this is bad because Taro is a troll" and I don't think it's always true, it's kinda annoying and sends a bad message about him and his games.

If you have not played a YT game or are not familiar with him, its understandable to think that, but it would be an incorrect assumption :p

Not assuming what your experience is, but its really irrelevant to YT what small complaints are when he's thinking about an actual message and world he wants to create..

of course when it comes to stuff like imbalanced difficulty and overpowered chip configurations, there's no excuse, just inane programming

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
At this point I feel like everything bad in a Yoko Taro game is because "he wants to troll people" for some.

Mind you, I didn't play Automata yet (I may start it today!) but I always see "this is bad because Taro is a troll" and I don't think it's always true.

Feels like people are pushing it with that if that's true. If anything my read on this is people wave away most of it easily because they clearly see the budget constraints and appreciate the constant self awareness around it the game itself displays.

Stuff like the map itself not exactly being a masterwork of design clarity but yet you can find an NPC talking about it being due the bad satellite connection preventing better map data being send.

KiraXD

I started playing NieR right after Horizon and I know exactly what you mean

Regardless of the graphical downgrade, NieR's world seemed empty and bland by comparison

craaaaaap is it an issue coming from Horizon to this? im about 100hours in HZD and was gonna jump over to Nier afterwards... i know its not a looker, but is it gonna feel archaic compared to HZD?

Inuhanyou

craaaaaap is it an issue coming from Horizon to this? im about 100hours in HZD and was gonna jump over to Nier afterwards... i know its not a looker, but is it gonna feel archaic compared to HZD?

Its a game made on a budget probably 1/5th of Horizon's aiming for 60fps without the technical investment of Guerilla and 7 years of development time Horizon had, yeah its gonna look barren by comparison...not to mention it kind of plays into the actual point of the world and story in the game.

Feels like people are pushing it with that if that's true. If anything my read on this is people wave away most of it easily because they clearly see the budget constraints and appreciate the constant self awareness around it the game itself displays.

Stuff like the map itself not exactly being a masterwork of design clarity but yet you can find an NPC talking about it being due the bad satellite connection preventing better map data being send.

Well this is the truth, claming that people are saying everything bad in YT games are waved away as trolls is kind of a dumb thing to say when even fans of YT acknowledge that most of YT's previous games have had significant flaws in them due to the teams creating them, the budget given ect.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Eh? The constant, neverending climbing and slow & too short sprinting & the fucking horse always being left behind and then having to wait for it forever (if it's even close enough to hear you) make BOTW's exploration far more tedious than going through Automata's environments, as cool as the POIs in BOTW are on average.
I disagree. BotW's exploration felt like part of the experience (also only rode a horse a grand total of twice). It detracts from NieR. I wish this game was linear.

Top Bottom