• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why It's Important to Recognize That "Moonlight" Was Robbed Of Its Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
What's their take on the Steve Harvey handling of wrongly announcing Colombia as winner and then revoking it?

You don't have to agree with the entire thing to see that even something like this could impact people.

Not everything is being called slurs in the streets.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes because this thread of casual dismissal of the issues brought up have nothing to do with the institutional racism brought up by the article.

Black People: "Hey the way this thing was handled plays into institutional racism"
Yall: "Don't be so fucking stupid, it was just a mistake, get over it you whiny bitches"

That's literally how this thread just played out on the first 3 pages.

"The way it was handled" suggested that the mistake was a deliberate one, something that the "white people" planned to downplay the achievement gotten by Moonlight for its best picture.

That's what people has been pointing at as reaching. You are being irrationally angry over nothing, and worse, you immediately characterize people who disagree with you or may see things differently as the worst kind of people that hated "negro people" for no apparent reason whatsoever.

I think no sane people would disagree about the difficulty minorities have to be acknowledged in Hollywood or to downplay it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What's their take on the Steve Harvey handling of wrongly announcing Colombia as winner and then revoking it?

You know, that actually was completely stolen from both women. No one remembers who either of them were, all they remember is that Steve Harvey fucked up.

It's similar to how Moonlight has to share the spotlight but at least people will remember Moonlight.

You don't have to agree with the entire thing to see that even something like this could impact people.

Not everything is being called slurs in the streets.

It doesn't matter. Seemingly, learn your place and don't even mention nicely "Hey, this kind of plays into systematic racism"

RinsFury

Lol this is why gen z hate us. We just accused them of racism, homophobia, bigotry all because some guy got distracted by Emma stone and gave the presenters the wrong envelope.

They weren't robbed of anything. They got their fucking award right on the stage. Why do people care so much about the optics. Stop bitching and look at what happened. They corrected their mistake and admitted they Fucked up.

Yes it wasn't perfect but nothing in life is perfect. Shit happens. Stop moaning about what's fair and move the Fuck on.

Nah, they had their moment ruined, they were absolutely robbed of it. Not going to forget that.

It's hard not to be more empathetic to the La La Land crew because they just had all their wildest dreams come true, and then had those dreams crushed within the span of a couple minutes. If the situation were reversed and the Moonlight crew were forced to hand over their statues to another film, would you not have more sympathy for them? We all know and understand crushing disappointment a lot better than we know top-of-your-industry triumph.

Kimmel's vamping was kind of lame, but what the hell do you expect? He's Jimmy Kimmel. Even with writers he kinda sucks. Of course he's going to say the wrong thing when he's forced to imrpov jokes in the middle of a full-on stage panic.

Exactly. Does anyone really think things would have been different if the films involved were reversed? It was shitty that the La La Land people thought they won and then had the award rescinded, it was shitty the spotlight wasn't solely on the film that won, it was shitty that Kimmel acted like a dork instead of the host of a prestigious awards show. All of this would have been shitty in the same way if Moonlight were the film that was mistakenly announced.

Just imagine the hot takes we'd have seen if things had gone down that way.

Nah, they had their moment ruined, they were absolutely robbed of that it. Not going to forget that.

I really doubt anyone who witnessed it is going to be forgetting it any time soon. There's a difference between remembering it and discussing it and perseverating on it and reading intent into it though.

It doesn't matter. Seemingly, learn your place and don't even mention nicely "Hey, this kind of plays into systematic racism"

Multiple people have said "This most definitely is symbolic of systemic racism, but not an example of it." Not sure where you're getting that sentiment.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I mean the fact that a thread literally just saying "and yet the black movie wasn't allowed to just let it's moment be it's moment" turned into a bitch fest about whatever it is kinda proves the point.

The article is reaching. Most of us here recognize that Moonlight was robbed because of a careless mistake. The article insinuates that the carelessness was caused because of the skin color of the people that made the movie.

This year's Best Picture result wasn't about winning and losing. Every win is not like every other win, and white people insisting as much is an example of racial politics. Moonlight is unlike any other portrayal of black masculinity or black queer life we've seen. It's the first LGBTQ Best Picture winner and the first Best Picture about black people that isn't about our dehumanization at the hands of white people, as with 12 Years a Slave. This means that every care and precaution should have been taken to make sure this moment did not get screwed up. It means the Academy should have acknowledged the gravity of the win by simply making sure the moment wasn't botched. But because we're dishonest about how race works, we are dishonest about the level of care and planning it'll take to make sure that our wins actually get to feel like wins.

Part of what it requires to do the work of diversity is to recognize that there are some moments you simply cannot mess up. This was one of those moments. Although PricewaterhouseCoopers, the accounting firm that oversees the tabulation of Oscars ballots, has taken responsibility for the mix-up, imagine how it feels to the talent of Moonlight to not have had the fullness of their moment. Imagine how the mistake feels to those of us who have rarely seen ourselves represented in the awards ceremony. The carelessness and haphazardness with which Moonlight's moment was treated is indicative of how institutional racism continues to work, even after people of color have overcome a significant barrier.

Arc

Such a shit attitude. "Quit bitching that it wasn't perfect they still got it didn't they?" Yes. And nobody was talking about them winning. The narrative is about the fuck up. Not them, they are simply a byproduct of the stupid shit that ensued.

God forbid people express their indignation about something without being told to quit bitching and be silent it's not that bad

That is absolutely not the narrative of this thread. The narrative of this thread is that Jimmy Kimmel is apparently a racist homophobe.

"Hey this is endemic of yet another sign that black culture and representation is still being denied the spotlight it's due" is not a hot take

Using the word "robbed" ,"denied" raised the connotation of the people behind the mistake being responsible for the skewed narrative. What is to blame is the way people decide to consume media. Which it would be hard to argue against that is what we are seeing with the news of the night being the mistake rather than anything else. In the same vein, people see the word robbed and then see it as the situation being blamed on those involved that night.

That is absolutely not the narrative of this thread. The narrative of this thread is that Jimmy Kimmel is apparently a racist homophobe.
One guy said that and people ran with that stupid shit, Kimmel didn't do anything maliciously but his immediate reaction helped solidify the issue.

Trojita

"Hey this is endemic of yet another sign that black culture and representation is still being denied the spotlight it's due" is not a hot take

The article is positing that extra attention should have been made to not fuck up this moment, when the winners aren't known by anyone in the institution but Price Waterhouse Coopers two selected people, with one that happened to fuck up.

The article is a mess and there is likely better articles out there that talk about the issue without seguing into things that don't line up with facts.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
An inappropriate response to is to dismiss it out of hand without even attempting to understand why the article was written in the first place.
The article was written because institutional racism is alive and well in Hollywood and minorities have to do twice the work for half the acknowledgement.

Because every other black achievement tends to be given shared credit with some noble white person who is portrayed as helping or letting the black person win in a sort of Blindside-esque act of heroism.

It exists because Moonlight is an art-house and hyper intellectual film coming from a black director and cast but people aren't talking about how special it is.

Should anything be added?
Real question. Not being a dick. Trying to hear you out.

To me the article is misguided and kinda insulting to the Moonlight team despite the context, but I'm willing to admit I may be missing something.

Imagine if the wrong envelope they handed Beatty, instead of being Emma Stone's Best Actress envelope, was Suicide Squad's Best Costume envelope, and Faye Dunaway exclaimed "SUICIDE SQUAD!"

Arc

One guy said that and people ran with that stupid shit, Kimmel didn't do anything maliciously but his immediate reaction helped solidify the issue.

The "issue" implies it was malicious. It really sucks, but it was an honest mistake. The reaction would have been no different if it was Fences or Manchester by the Sea.

Deepwater

"The way it was handled" suggested that the mistake was a deliberate one, something that the "white people" planned to downplay the achievement gotten by Moonlight for its best picture.

That's what people has been pointing at as reaching. You are being irrationally angry over nothing, and worse, you immediately characterize people who disagree with you or may see things differently as the worst kind of people that hated "negro people" for no apparent reason whatsoever.

This is what I mean by not engaging what the fuck we be saying.

The title of the article is 'Why It's Important to Recognize That "Moonlight" Was Robbed Of Its Moment'. Read that back a few times.

NOBODY is saying that the shit was planned. Please stop bringing it up as if that's our problem. The point of the article is to:

1. Recognize that while the gaffe could have happened to anyone, it's especially bad because of the circumstances

2. Recognize that in many eyes this win can't be separated from LLL when it deserves to stand on its own

3. Recognize the micro aggressions acted out by Kimmel

These points were NOT hard to grasp from the article. But nobody took the time to engage it with any sort of nuance or any sort of empathy for black people. You all just said that it wasn't a big deal, it was a honest mistake, and that we should get over ourselves for "reaching".

Nobody is telling you to agree with anybody. What's insulting is the instant dismissal of our concerns. And if you're upset that I put yt ppl in it, then build a bridge and get over it, because most of you all just played into it at the beginning of this thread like I said.

The "issue" implies it was malicious. It really sucks, but it was an honest mistake. The reaction would have been no different if it was Fences or Manchester by the Sea.
But it wasn't Fences or Manchester by the Sea or anything. We don't live in a reality where it was one of the other nominees. This happened, to ignore the issues even tangentially related to it is to be willfully blind for the sake of it.

It just being an honest mistake doesn't remove the issue.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

The title of the article is 'Why It's Important to Recognize That "Moonlight" Was Robbed Of Its Moment'. Read that back a few times.

NOBODY is saying that the shit was planned. Please stop bringing it up as if that's our problem. The point of the article is to:

1. Recognize that while the gaffe could have happened to anyone, it's especially bad because of the circumstances

2. Recognize that in many eyes this win can't be separated from LLL when it deserves to stand on its own

These points were NOT hard to grasp from the article. But nobody took the time to engage it with any sort of nuance or any sort of empathy for black people. You all just said that it wasn't a big deal, it was a honest mistake, and that we should get over ourselves for "reaching".

Nobody is telling you to agree with anybody. What's insulting is the instant dismissal of our concerns. And if you're upset that I put yt ppl in it, then build a bridge and get over it, because most of you all just played into it at the beginning of this thread like I said.

Okay.

Kinyou

An inappropriate response to is to dismiss it out of hand without even attempting to understand why the article was written in the first place.
I think people can understand the issues of institutional racism while also being aware that it's incredibly unlikely that the accountants fucked up the envelopes because of that. That's a crazy reach, why should that not be called out

KHarvey16

But they were denied it. That's fact. Being hung up on stupid as shit semantics is the typical sidestep to any and all actual discussion of anything even tangentially race related.

But no one denied them. Assigning blame is what people have an issue with. This wasn't caused by bigotry, subconscious or otherwise. It's unfortunate it happened but to point fingers at individuals is going too far.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Ignore my previous post. I see what you mean now.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i strongly disagree. i think the moment actually lent the award more power than it would have normally had.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
He said it twice.

"You should keep it." Then later: "Why can't we just give everyone an oscar?"

Notice that Jordan Horowitz had to CUT HIM OFF when he said that to make it clear that he was "proud to hand the Oscar to [his] friends at Moonlight."

Jordan is the only person who acknowledged the Moonlight people. Kimmel was even still telling jokes after Beatty explained what happened, and Beatty had to CUT HIM OFF from another joke, by repeating that Moonlight was the best picture.

Kimmel fucked up. Watch it again: https://streamable.com/fitup

Yup, this is what I saw. Kimmel was making shitty pointless comments and Horowitz stepped up and produced that shit until the correct people were on stage. I was also none too impressed by the "Oh by the way we lost" guy.

Malyse

I'm going to have to post this a million times, aren't I:

GTjDRvs.png

I agree with the overall point, but the Variety example is a bad one.
https://twitter.com/i/moments/836888641867763713

Trojita

I don't think anyone is arguing that Moonlight wasn't robbed of their spotlight or complaining that you guys rightly complain that it happened. The article in question is stating that the mistake was institutional racism at work.

The Article said:
The carelessness and haphazardness with which Moonlight's moment was treated is indicative of how institutional racism continues to work, even after people of color have overcome a significant barrier.

That is reaching.

But no one denied them. Assigning blame is what people have an issue with. This wasn't caused by bigotry, subconscious or otherwise. It's unfortunate it happened but to point fingers at individuals is going too far.
Being denied because of a fuck up is still being denied.

KHarvey16

But the problem people have is assigning the cause of that denial to individuals. It was the culmination of innocent mistakes, not racism. In a hypothetical utopia with no racism, it could have still happened.

Yea, Price Waterhouse Cooper's reps fucked Moonlight over.

It was my second thought after everything unfolded. That they didn't get their moment alone on the stage to say what they had to say to the world. I'm sure they had something profound prepared, but the moment was stolen away from them due to PWC's neglect, to the fault of nobody else.

Most unfortunate. And I don't think Kemmel meant anything by his comments; I'd like to think he would have said the same had Moonlight had to hand over their trophies. It might have been even worse becuase the Moonlight team would have been in the middle of saying some deep shit only to get the Kanye West interruption. I thought Kemmel's reaction was less micro aggression and more an instinct toward sympathy to those caught in the embarrassing situation. If it had been Moonlight's staff, I suspect he would have been just as empathetic to them. But we'll never know.

Deepwater

The article was written because institutional racism is alive and well in Hollywood and minorities have to do twice the work for half the acknowledgement.

Because every other black achievement tends to be given shared credit with some noble white person who is portrayed as helping or letting the black person win in a sort of Blindside-esque act of heroism.

It exists because Moonlight is an art-house and hyper intellectual film coming from a black director and cast but people aren't talking about how special it is.

Should anything be added?
Real question. Not being a dick. Trying to hear you out.

To me the article is misguided and kinda insulting to the Moonlight team despite the context, but I'm willing to admit I may be missing something.

What you said is the general gist of it. Black people just wanted Moonlight to get it's deserved shine. Dassit.

Kinyou

i strongly disagree. i think the moment actually lent the award more power than it would have normally had.
It sure played with expectations. Moonlight was arguably the underdog. In a way it was like a sports comeback after everyone thought the game was lost

Arkage

Banned
Framing this screw-up as symptomatic of institutional racism is literally trying to find a topic that will ensure people vehemently disagree with each other over. It's hard enough to convince middle and right America of institutional racism on good, solid evidence like the resume-with-black-sound-names studies. But then this kind of stuff is impossible to sell to anybody except the most polarized elements of the left party.

I'd argue that in a broader sense, articles like this undermine the strength of the movement against institutional racism. Muddying the water with these kinds of claims provokes many others to completely dismiss "structural racism" as a real thing, and makes the path towards political allies all the more difficult.

border

The title of the article is 'Why It's Important to Recognize That "Moonlight" Was Robbed Of Its Moment'.

NOBODY is saying that the shit was planned.

That verbiage alone implies a deliberate, malicious act. Someone doesn't get "robbed" accidentally. People aren't incidentally robbed, they are deliberately robbed. I recognize that that is not really the tone or point of the article itself, but if you're going to use a provocative eye-catching headline then expect to be kind of raked over the coals for it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
What you said is the general gist of it. Black people just wanted Moonlight to get it's deserved shine. Dassit.
It is a fucking bummer. It bugs me as a cinephile because I think Moonlight is honest to goodness the artsiest and most aggressively indie movie to win Best Picture in my lifetime. I wish people were talking about the filmmaking instead of the mixup, because I wanted to see more good movies get the Oscar push from their studios in the future.

I dunno what should be done about it really, because it's hard to expect companies not to aknowledge possibly the most memorable event in Oscar history, but it hardly seems fair how it's discussed.

Who denied them the spotlight? And why? Does that not matter at all?

What if this random accident happened between two films with black casts? What if the films were reversed?

Again, no one is saying it's not terrible what happened. But it clearly, clearly was unintentional, and the people on stage were clearly, clearly not thinking through what they were saying.

That verbiage alone implies a deliberate, malicious act. Someone doesn't get "robbed" accidentally. People aren't incidentally robbed, they are deliberately robbed. I recognize that that is not really the tone or point of the article itself, but if you're going to use a provocative eye-catching headline then expect to be kind of raked over the coals for it.
But the film is not a sentient being, the film and what it represents was robbed. Sophistry seems to only go insofar as to when it's drawn along a racial line as to better paint a picture.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Did the Moonlight folks do speeches?
They did, but it was kinda sapped of it's pomp and celebration. Honestly, and I know this is stupid, but in hindsight it woulda been cool to clear the stage, announce the error and play music for them. Never gonna happen though. It's borderline illegal to have dead air on TV for too long.

Deepwater

You're being pedantic over a colloquial use of a term that is not strange to see in it's context.

kswiston

It sure played with expectations. Moonlight was arguably the underdog. In a way it was like a sports comeback.

It was definitely shocking. From "Of course they would pick La La Land" to unprecedented reversal in the span of a couple of minutes. They should have cleared the La La Land crew off the stage, and calmed the audience down first, before letting the Moonlight producers do their speeches. That would have been ideal given the situation. It's not like the ceremony has a history of ending on time as it is.

I can see why everyone was confused though. I had not clue what was going on while watching. The announcer was talking about La La Land's 7 wins just minutes before.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The silver lining on this cloud is that Moonlight is gonna get one of the biggest Oscar bumps in history I bet.

Not a lotta people saw it, but the madness of that moment is gonna have a lot of curious eyes going to Moonlight. They will sadly perplexed I think, but money is good.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I also feel like this is pretty unfair.

“I think you should just keep it anyway.” He felt bad that anyone should have to lose in such a public way. But notice that what Kimmel didn’t say is, “Let’s get Moonlight up here right now and let them have their moment.” His empathy, like that of many others, went towards the people who looked most like him on stage.

In this situation the apology is obviously the priority. For the night, he is speaking on behalf of the organization that is ultimately responsible for the fuck up.

Generally speaking, if I was going to do right by one party and wrong by another, my immediate attention would be on consoling the party I did wrong by. Because the party that won already have some immediate consolation in the form of a very prestigious award.

KHarvey16

Can we at least recognize a difference between being the victim of an unfortunate accident and being the victim of conscious or even unconscious bigotry? No one has an issue with commenting on how terrible it is that in the context of the shitty race relations and institutionalized racism problems we have in this country the well deserved praise for a truly deserving, important film was interrupted by an awful mixup. That's fine.

The issue people have is tying that mixup directly to the aforementioned problems with racism we have, and even singling out Kimmel as having acted in a particular way because he was conditioned to side with white people. It's unfair to those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom