• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were Disney traditional hand drawn movies soo good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Found a list of all their animated movies:
http://homepage.usask.ca/~jjs142/movielist.htm
Code:
1.       Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs

2.       Pinocchio

3.       Fantasia

4.       Dumbo

5.       Bambi

6.       Saludos Amigos

7.       The Three Caballeros

8.       Make Mine Music

9.       Fun And Fancy Free

10.     Melody Time

11.     The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr. Toad

12.     Cinderella

13.     Alice In Wonderland

14.     Peter Pan

15.     Lady And The Tramp

16.     Sleeping Beauty

17.     101 Dalmatians

18.     The Sword In The Stone

19.     The Jungle Book

20.     The Aristocats

21.     Robin Hood

22.     The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh

23.     The Rescuers

24.     The Fox And The Hound

25.     The Black Cauldron

26.     The Great Mouse Detective

27.     Oliver & Company

28.     The Little Mermaid

29.     The Rescuers Down Under

30.     Beauty And The Beast

31.     Aladdin

32.     The Lion King

33.     Pocahontas

34.     The Hunchback Of Notre Dame

35.     Hercules

36.     Mulan

37.     Tarzan

38.     Fantasia/2000

39.     The Emperor's New Groove

40.     Atlantis: The Lost Empire

41.     Lilo And Stitch

42.     Treasure Planet

43.     Brother Bear

44.     Home On The Range

Wow, Mulan was the point of no return. after it all goes down hill

The Prince of Egypt buries any Disney film in terms of animation and matches all (except maybe BatB) in terms of design. It can also go head to head with any Disney film in terms of musical numbers. IMO no Disney film can match The Prince of Egypt and it had taken me a long time to realise that.

JdFoX187

Banned
I saw The Prince of Egypt like a week after I had watched The 10 Commandments again and I just couldn't stomach it. Never cared for it after that.

I miss hand-drawn animation, especially Disney. I'm sorry, but to me, Pixar's movies have no soul compared to the old hand-drawn films. Jungle Book, Aladdin, Lion King > Anything Pixar.

AniHawk

JdFoX187 said:
I saw The Prince of Egypt like a week after I had watched The 10 Commandments again and I just couldn't stomach it. Never cared for it after that.

I miss hand-drawn animation, especially Disney. I'm sorry, but to me, Pixar's movies have no soul compared to the old hand-drawn films. Jungle Book, Aladdin, Lion King > Anything Pixar.

Aladdin certainly lacks soul when compared to something like Wall•E. Don't confuse nostalgia with 'soul'.

MisterHero

AniHawk said:
Aladdin certainly lacks soul when compared to something like Wall•E. Don't confuse nostalgia with 'soul'.
I wouldn't confuse environmentalism and "LOL, fat people" for having "soul". :p

Wall-E had a nice "message" but IMO it came at the expense of the movie.

AniHawk

MisterHero said:

The soul from the movie wasn't the environmentalism crap or the conservative 'oh technology is tearing families apart' crap but from WALL-E, the character, and EVE. There's nothing in Aladdin that comes close. And I loved Aladdin as a kid (it was my favorite until I saw it a few years back).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
AniHawk said:

Aladdin was also a poor rip-off of Richard William's Thief and the Cobbler.

MisterHero said:

The sooner people stop using that "complaint," the better.

MisterHero

AniHawk said:

The soul from the movie wasn't the environmentalism crap or the conservative 'oh technology is tearing families apart' crap but from WALL-E, the character, and EVE. There's nothing in Aladdin that comes close. And I loved Aladdin as a kid (it was my favorite until I saw it a few years back).
I guess some of that was because Aladdin was hiding/lying in his interaction with Jasmine and Wall-E is earnest in his affection for EVE, among other things the movies do differently.

Though aside from my nitpicking of Wall-E, it's a tremendous movie otherwise.

AniHawk

DeathNote said:
now to get a gf and impregnate her.

killzoned.jpg

GCX

I have a little hope that The Princess & The Frog would mark some sort of comeback for Disney Animation Studios. They've made a lot of changes lately so let's hope it's all for the best..

visdev1.jpg

visdev3.jpg

visdev5.jpg

Rapunzel looks promising too even though it'll be mostly CG:

rapunzel_landing.jpg

szaromir

Banned
When I was 7 years old I was 4 times in cinema on Alladin. I never watched it ever since and probably never will again - it would probably ruin my memories. I remember playing Alladin from Shiny, and because I didn't know how to save your progress I mastered it so long I could play through it in one session.

madara

I watched Treasure Planet again last week and Atlantis last night. You know there still is alot good moments in even these easy target uneven script animations.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
JayDubya said:
Even though it has the retarded gargoyles present during the first part of the song - those guys generally ruin the movie. The gargoyles, to me, represent just how badly they were tied to formula at that point.
To be honest, I liked the gargoyles, in as much as they were (generally) only "alive" when Quasimodo was supposed to be imagining them to be alive, and they had the rather amusing "A Guy Like You" song, in which a hopeless guy is persuaded by his friends that some girl is interested in him. It was a perfect "stupid guys egg friend on to failure" song.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Add me to this list of people lamenting that this focused on the 90s output. Granted, it was a great time for Disney, but there's so much more.
I rather thought the point of the thread was tied to discussing what had happened to Disney animation, and that ties into the downfall in the late 90s.

farnham

Banned
The Little Mermaid

Beauty And The Beast

Aladdin

The Lion King

Pocahontas

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame

Hercules

Mulan

Tarzan

:D :D :D :D

Squeak

Fact: Everything after Basil the Great Mouse Detective is just pure formulaic, calculated, saccharine, "family oriented" (ie. leaving noone satisfied) crap.
Corporate manufactured culture at its worst.
Sure, the production values are high, but that can only be a detriment when the underlying structure is so weak.
Watch Bambi and Pinocchio for an example of not only some of the most soulful and generally great animation ever but also for some of the best film-making ever, period.

Defuser

Most of their movies were good but it's the sequel and trilogy that kills them.(except Aladdin 2 and Lion king 2, those 2 were great)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I used to watch the Sword in the Stone almost every day when I was a kid. That and the Jungle Book. Great films.

I tend to ignore most CGI cartoons now, as I have a feeling that they'll just be soulless marketing-driven crap aimed at selling Happy Meal toys.
I'm willing to hear some examples of good CGI cartoons.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
As far as I am concerned, no Disney movie has ever received a sequel... ever.

Toy Story?

GCX

Defuser said:
Most of their movies were good but it's the sequel and trilogy that kills them.(except Aladdin 2 and Lion king 2, those 2 were great)
I don't ever want to meet those horrible soulless persons who greenlight stuff like Cinderella 2 and 3, The Fox & The Hound 2, Hunchback of Notre Dame 2, Mulan 2, Bambi 2, etc etc etc.. It's like they want to kill every one of their great franchines.

The Rescuers Down Under is the only truly great Disney sequel I can think of right now.

industrian said:
Toy Story?
I stand corrected.

This thread has inspired me to listen to all the Disney songs I have saved on my PC. I just got done with "Under the Sea" (The Little Mermaid) and I'm currently listening to "Stand Out" (A Goofy Movie). I feel bad for the kids who are going to grow up without animated Disney musicals.

Oh, and someone mentioned The Thief and the Cobbler/The Princess and the Cobbler. This movie wasn't Disney, but it seriously does not get enough love. "She is more than this" (Princess Yum Yum sings it) can stand up there with any of the Disney greats.

Also, I will keep spamming this song until it gets the recognition it deserves.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I never really watched any of these as a kid, thought they were all pretty cheesy.

Toy Story was good though... i guess I'm just fucked up or something.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Disney's artists (and the rest of the animation world) need to pick up a fucking paintbrush.

It all went to hell when they switched from hand painted cells/backgrounds to digital.

Bleaugh.

Witchfinder General said:
Disney's artists (and the rest of the animation world) need to pick up a fucking paintbrush.

It all went to hell when they switched from hand painted cells/backgrounds to digital.

Bleaugh.
Much of Asia still does it the old fashion way, and for just pennies a day!

Squeak

Please stop tooting Lion King as "the last great Disney movie". It's not!
It's derivative, saccharine, bland and boring.
What they didn't steal from Kimba the White Lion was just diluted Bambi with lions.

a Master Ninja said:
I'll go out on a limb and say Disney went to shit after Lion King. Pocahontas, Hunchback, Hercules...really? Really?

This is correct. Other than a few gems (Lilo and Stitch, Emperor's New Groove, and... maybe Mulan) they've all been bad to horrible. Aladdin has been my favorite animated movie of all time, but I'll have to see how well Wall-E holds up, because it's just far too amazing for me to not consider. Still, I miss the days of Disney movies with good songs. Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and The Lion King all had great, memorable songs. I'm also a sucker for the songs in Robin Hood, which is terribly underrated.

The funny thing is that the one that wants that disney returns to their roots is John Lasseter (pixar's director, that now controlls all disney's artistic departments), his the one that said we are going to do The Princess and the frog, we are going to call all disneys 90 artists, we are going to call Alan Menken, we are going to return dinsey to its glory.

And this man always speaks the truth, the kicked out fucking Eisner and now it all going to be good, but people seem to want this to go fast, NO, this doesnt occur from night to day, it started with enchanted (you have to go with little paces not big steps if you want to return disney to its past glory, and lasseter knows how to do this).

2d is awesome and its going to return thanks to lasseter, but also Pixar's 3d is as good as old 2d disney, because all of the movies had a soul.

Disney "buying" Pixar (its really Pixar who controls disney now) was the best move for history of animation. MARK MY WORDS.

Hercules was great, but it was a "light" movie.

Also, it's pretty much the first Superman movie in terms of plot. Going to hades=going back in time to save Lois.

But even if Hercules is a "light" movie its still awesome, it had and awesome villian and very rare art direction for disney, and the music is simply excellent, so good it pumped the movie with excitement.

beelzebozo said:
you're the only person on this message board who has a user name of which i'm jealous, fyi

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SpacePirate Ridley said:
But even if Hercules is a "light" movie its still awesome, it had and awesome villian and very rare art direction for disney.

you're the only person on this message board who has a user name of which i'm jealous, fyi

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
zoku88 said:
Doesn't Lion King have some CG in it? Actually, wasn't it one of the first animated movies to have CG in it?

Like, that scene where the father dies. All of those.. stampeding animals. I thought that was CG.
Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin had a plenty of CG.

The Emperor's New Groove was hilarious. I need to see that again soon. The movies were better because they had magic. Magic on every level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom