• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why White People Don't Use White Emoji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I love emojis and I'd never pass up the opportunity to make a race thread on GAF so boom, two birds one stone

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/05/white-people-dont-use-white-emoji/481695/

Light-skin-tone symbols are used far less often in the U.S. than their darker counterparts. Does shame explain the disparity?

chart.png

...this effect may also signal a squeamishness on the part of white people. The folks I talked to before writing this story said it felt awkward to use an affirmatively white emoji; at a time when skin-tone modifiers are used to assert racial identity, proclaiming whiteness felt uncomfortably close to displaying “white pride,” with all the baggage of intolerance that carries. At the same time, they said, it feels like co-opting something that doesn’t exactly belong to white people—weren’t skin-tone modifiers designed so people of color would be represented online?

I personally think us white folk are too vain to use pasty pale emoji. On the other hand why the fuck are only 2% of people taking advantage of black Santa? 🎅🏿

I don't use any emoji, because I think they are fucking dumb. I am one of those people who spell out their words instead of "ur" and shit.

xRaizen

I use default. Mostly yellow, I think? I've been using yellow since like.. forever?

What color were MSN Messenger emotes? Edit: They were yellow. See I'm just used to them xD

marrec

Banned
I'm not going to match the fucking skin tone on my shitpost to my actual skin color cause I don't give a shit.

malfcn

My phone with SwiftKey had yellow faces and white hand by default. I don't know if that's all the emoji, since I don't use many.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't see color in my emojis. I just see them as emojis equally.

I also almost never use them...except for the laughing hysterically one with tears. That one's great

Always yellow since their silly cartoonishness is like the essence of emojis

Though if given only the skin tone I'll pick the lightest one because I'm a pale motherfucker

I'm decently pale but I just held my hand up to the screen and found that I'm like type two.

I'd say its more likely people don't want to be pale ghosts rather than some fear of being associated with "white power" because people do that all the time on twitter (where she did her "study").

Cagey

Banned
I use the second variant all the time because it's accurate for me.

And given it's the most popularly used variant... I don't understand the article's premise.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Hands are often darker than less exposed parts of the body. If the emoji was a bare torso I think you'd find a different distribution.

I'm very pale but my hands are at least as dark as the "tans uniformly" emoji.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom