• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why White People Don't Use White Emoji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I didn't know people seriously have a fuck. I rarely use emojis, the ones I use are just the regular yellow ones though.

AlexBasch

I only use the generic yellow smileys, never the people-like ones because they look fucking stupid.
Yeah, the "sassy girl with the hand up" thing is annoying.

This one however.
22f91caef4f58b5586b84ccfa90df64d.png

Is the GOAT.

Seriously though, I like the Google emojis better.

Google-Emojis-Char-Mr-Glider-Telegram-Stickers-stickers.acidodivertido.com_.jpg

Eumi

It has been instilled in people that anything that can even slightly resemble white pride is bad and so you should avoid it like the plague, which could lead to people not wanting to take advantage of racial emojis as to a lot of people white=bad.

Or maybe white people just use the yellow ones because why not? Yellow has been a stand in for white ever since the Simpsons, which is weird considering it's also a slur for Asians.

Or maybe yellow is the default, and since white is usually seen as 'default' white people lean towards that.

This whole thing requires more analysis than an emoji deserves.

I don't use any emoji, because I think they are fucking dumb. I am one of those people who spell out their words instead of "ur" and shit.

Do you see a lot of the "ur" shit on GAF? I promise a ton of people are on their phones.

Emojis are just more descriptive the hahahaha when I am being sarcastic or silly or whatever.

Amory

There's variations of white.

Just because you're caucasian doesn't mean you're a ghost. People probably use the one that comes closest to their skin tone I guess?

I don't use them at all.

I'm the third one on the list, i tried changing the smiley faces just now and it doesn't give me an option, this is just for like the hand clap and other ones like that right? iPhone 6s is what I got.

Squire

Banned
I keep it to yellow and found it to be a strange moment when presented the option to pick a specific skin tone. America reminds me I'm black every day, I don't need my emojis to, I'm well-ware!

Aeana

I think most white people see the spread of color and pick the second whitest one because they don't think they're as pale as the first one. And especially when contrasted with the others, they look very white. I use the whitest one because I am literally a ghost person, but my husband is a fair bit darker than I am so he doesn't. I don't know if it has anything to do with shame.

cr0w

Old Member
I don't use Emoji because I'm Archie Bunker trapped in a 35-year-old man's body. Got no use for 'em.

Glass Rebel

I am firmly white but I have an olive skin undertone which makes me appear more tan than most Western Europeans so I use the second one.

I'm not white but I don't even know how to input emoji in a text.

Twitch emotes are easy but I don't understand the phone ones at all.

qcf x2

also aren't the second and third white too? I mean its almost as if race isn't always about skin color.

Indeed they are. And yeah, most people are not going to go for something undesirable, and pasty white and very dark are frequently considered undesirable, although I think in many asian countries pasty white is an ideal. Not so in America.

Wouldn't most people just use the default? As in most people are not making a racially charged political statement every time they send a text?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom