• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii production to end soon

so misunderstood. Amazing console with a bunch of sleeping AAA games. Games like NMH(2), Okami, Sonic Colors, 1st party content, Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, unknown 1st party (Fire Emblem etc.), Little King's Story etc. made it such a good console.

IrishNinja

when was the last time we had such a high selling but underrated system? like the GC, great first party output, with a handful of really great 3rd party exclusives/gems. still catching up on its backlog; sad to see it go, but like most any console, glad it came.

Madao

not surprising. every Nintendo console goes off like this.

people bring up the NES's production ending in the early 2000s but that was the exception, not the rule. the SNES, N64, GC and now Wii were discontinued rather quickly after their sucessors came out. unlike PS systems, Nintendo's systems usually cannibalize themselves in sales and have to be killed off to let the sucessor grab the sales.

did people forget that the GBA was killed to let the DS live, despite the GBA being the fastest selling videogame system ever? (it was pulling better numbers than the PS2 back then). the GBC also got its legs cut off fast to move to GBA.

the N64 and GC didn't need to be killed early because they were dead once their sucessors rolled around and the Wii is similar since it has been pretty much dead since late 2011. the last thing they need is people buying a Wii instead of a Wii U because of confusion (they need to do more to fix that but you have to start somewhere).

nordique

During it's peak years, was an amazing system and unreal to experience the first time.

Truly did feel revolutionary that first play.

End of an era. I had a wii along with my PC, so I was able to enjoy many Nintendo exclusives. My experience with the Metroid Prime Trilogy, Twilight Princess, and Mario Galaxy were unforgettable. In fact, I might replay the trilogy soon.

One of the best selling systems of all time, and yet it was somehow under-appreciated over the long term. You deserved better support than you got, little console. Thanks for all the fantastic memories, from Wii Sports and Red Steel to Donkey Kong Country Returns and Xenoblade.

snakesolute.jpg

It was neglected by me because of how awful it looked any HD TV. I'd had a 360 since launch, so Wii was a downgrade I couldn't stomach. It wasn't me being a "graphics whore", just couldn't stand the unbelievable amount of jaggies and blur. If I'd still be using a SD CRT, I'm sure that wouldn't have been an issue.

But I'm fully aware of how many incredible games were on the system that I missed out on, I just couldn't stand the SD. On the contrary, Wii U is HD anyway so I have no issues with its graphical inferiority compared to PS4/XB1.

All of you guys need to keep you SD tvs. One of the biggest problems HDtvs have is that they are atrocious at displaying SD. I can tell because I have both.

Lumyst

Did we ever get a reason for the Wii Mini experiment :p The 2DS actually seems to me to be in the same mold (the red/black one reminds me of the Wii Mini). I have a huge Wii backlog to dig through. I loved Rune Factory Frontier so much that I'm ashamed that I only used the Wii for Mario and Zelda up until I heard of Xenoblade, which kicked off my newfound enthuthiasm for gaming in general which lead me to NeoGAF and to the Wii Gems thread. From now on I will look at the complete library of games for every console I own, if a gamer is not closed minded, able to cross genres and styles and platforms, he or she should find that there are too many games and not enough time. (Money though, there's the true limiting factor, grrrrr.)

Oh and confession...I haven't played through Twilight Princess or either Mario Galaxy. It's complicated, but with a twin brother, weird rules get set up, and one of them is that if my twin brother plays a game, it becomes his (same as if I play a game, then he can't too). When I was playing Xenoblade, he was inspired to bring out Baten Kaitos, which he didn't finish back in the Gamecube era, so it was fun having our little MonolithSoft session at the time thanks to the GC backwards compatibility. He offered me to play as Luigi after he got all the stars in Mario Galaxy, I tried, but there's just rules of nature that can't be broken.

^Yep, I never hooked a Wii (or Xbox 360...) to an HDTV until last August, and boy was the difference staggering :p I think Xenoblade truly needs HD, there's things such as the Affinity Map when zoomed out that are impossible to see, even when on an HDTV. At that point, you may as well keep the SDTV because when blown up, it doesn't necessarily make things better.

onken

Not many tears shed here, my least favorite console that I actually owned. Definitely had some great games but the smallest amount compared to any other mainstream console. Thank god we have Dolphin in the case I want to replay any of the games though.

The Wii is my favorite system of all time and I'm almost certain nothing will surpass it in my eyes. It was home to my favorite game of all time Fragile Dreams: Farwell Ruins of the Moon and amazing games from my favorite developers like both No More Heroes games and Xenoblade Chronicles. It also had my favorite titles in the Zelda, Mario and Metroid series not to mention the countless interesting games I found and played. Local multiplayer was great (something its successor the Wii U continues to do compared to others). Super Smash Brothers Brawl is my favorite multiplayer game and I made some amazing memories playing it with my friends.

It changed gaming with it's success as still seen today with the X1 having Kinect packed in. While the Wii remote was great for a lot of genres like fighting games it worked great in shooters, sports and games that used the controls well like Fragile Dreams. To me the Wii Remote is the most comfortable videogame controller.

An amazing run for an amazing system. It ends. Congratulations!

Lumyst

To me the Wii Remote is the most comfortable videogame controller.

It's actually the laziest controller ever too :p Ever play with both arms hanging to the side while lying back? How about leaning forward, with the nunchuck under your chin while resting your chin on your hand, the wii remote in your right hand to the side? Whatever lazy pose you can think of, the separation of the analogue stick and the buttons can make it happen!

Linkup

I remember lining up for a system day one for The Legend of Zelda and seeing the massive line was just great.

Sad that stuff like Trauma Center, Red Steel 2, and Skyward Sword probably won't ever happen again. Cheers to the little box.

Top Bottom