• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will P.C. ever “replace” consoles?

dirthead

Banned
Well, that's a steal if true, but we still need the receipts. ;)

MSRP: $1,249.99

^ This kinda proves that PC hardware price gouging is a thing, especially when it comes to Intel/nVidia.

Many people have abandoned PC gaming because of exorbitant prices, even though they used to be PC-only gamers back in the day.

Price gouging drives people away, it doesn't help PC gaming to grow. I think we can all agree with that. I'm curious to see Ampere 7nm MSRPs next year.

PC gaming is cheaper than console gaming even if you spend $1,500 on the computer initially.

sendit

Yes I guess I forgot to include it, here you go and good luck!

Huge advocate for PC gaming, but......

:messenger_neutral: This really isn't selling the point you're attempting to make. While that PC you linked is quite a bit more powerful than both the PS4Pro and the XB1X, it is retailing at $800+. You simply can't build a PC with a SFF (small form factor) that exceeds or even matches what the PS4 or Xbox does at a specific price point (~$300-400). An individual just doesn't have the resources to match the cost in mass produced product.

Last edited:

scalman

my laptop is my plug and play console, better then any home console now , because its not just Home gaming machine but portable. i wish they would make some kind of portable versions of new consoles like digital only stuff. well after we will get stream speed over the top we wont need any boxes there at all. all boxes and all that would be old and history and i cant wait.

So
McpPHPy.png

Alright you're getting a bit annoying with that "smocking ganja" skit, what are you Jamaican or Hindi with a British or Australian accent mate? :pie_diana:
So go ahead and walk to Walmart and see if they have it, they'll probably tell you to stop smoking ganja aswell!

Bryank75

Banned
Let's say that you had a time machine and you went back to 1999.

PS2 rumors were rampant, DVD was the hot new thing that everyone wanted in their living room, dial-up 56K was still the primary way to access the internet, broadband (DSL/Cable) was scarce... and you as a time traveller you had a goal to educate the masses about the impending domination of streaming services (Netflix, Spotify), almost completely displacing physical media (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray) for the masses (minus video/audiophiles, but that's a niche).

Do you honestly think you would succeed? :)

I think we need to have this discussion about video game streaming sometime in the late 2030s. The technological and societal landscape will be very different from now, that's for sure. Using 2019 data to predict the future is pointless.
Gaming isn't mass-media, it isn't mainstream. It isn't music or film....

There is also a recession on the way, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but we are in an 'index-bubble'
.Unfortunately mutual funds now dominate stock investment and most simply track the market by compiling the top ten stocks in a portfolio.... these always include Alphabet and Microsoft along with Berkshire and a few others.

So when this bubble bursts, two or more drivers of the cloud based future will be in a very bad way...

Consoles however do really well in recession and recoveries.

Gaming isn't mass-media, it isn't mainstream. It isn't music or film....

There is also a recession on the way, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but we are in an 'index-bubble'
.Unfortunately mutual funds now dominate stock investment and most simply track the market by compiling the top ten stocks in a portfolio.... these always include Alphabet and Microsoft along with Berkshire and a few others.

So when this bubble bursts, two or more drivers of the cloud based future will be in a very bad way...

Consoles however do really well in recession and recoveries.
Fair enough, but they really want to make gaming mainstream. ALL of them:

Whether they will achieve that or not, it remains to be seen. One thing's for sure: they will keep chasing the bucks and we know physical consoles will never exceed PS2/DS records (150m each). PS4 might top out at 120m, no more than that.

DonJimbo

I don't buy this. I haven't gamed on console for awhile, but lets say you buy a decent gaming rig for $800 and another $200 for the monitor, for $1000 you're pretty much set for awhile. Now how much was a PS4 at launch? Lets assume $400, and then around mid generation refresh with a PS4 Pro another $400, that's not including the TV we got the same cost of a mid-range gaming rig for $800, this same logic also applies to Xbox btw. Now we talk games, most console games are around $50-60, same with PC games at launch, however PC games regularly go on sale from 50%-75% off, once you buy the game it's permanently linked to your account... forever. Console games are permanently linked to your account at least until... the next console generation. Meaning... if you're lucky they have some backwards compatibility option that allows to to go back to play those games, otherwise if they're like Virtual Console or whatever, you'll have to repurchase them again to play them on your new console. So assuming the PS5 is another $400 that will last you another 2-3 years before PS5 Pro comes out not to mention all the same games you have to repurchase... you spent way more than a gaming PC! The most you'll have to do with a PC is maybe purchase a new mid-range graphic card for $200-300 and you've upgrade for alot less than a console in the long run.
I dont care because i buy physically and mostly second hand and dont care about virtual console aswell and backward compability aswell
If i want to play older games i turn on my old consoles and enjoy them if i need to
If the rumors are true i will get the pro At start of the launch and i dont bother
Then the ps4 pro was only an Experiment by Sony that got fruit and more success
And i prefer gaming on console than on pc all day i Played many years on pc and spent to much money for pcs i only use PCs now for my work and gaming is on a console

Last edited:
There have been PC game controllers since the 90s....
bZWQ3Jm.jpg

And the Xbox controller is already compatible with Windows....
I understand that there are those options, but a good chunk of P.C. games are predicated towards Mouse/Keyboard users. People trying to use a controller for multiplayer games will be at a greater disadvantage, compared to Consoles where the majority are controller users (evens the odds). Not to mention trying to enjoy a MMORPG with a controller is a bit of a chore.
Each serve their purpose with their strengths and weaknesses.

Hudo

Not sure why one would replace the other. They serve different types of customers, IMHO. It's like saying that fastfood joints will replace dining restaurants or TV will replace the cinema. Both can coexist and are (or were) aimed at different types of customers or customer behaviors. That being said, one could observe consoles adopting stuff from the PC world and thereby losing some stuff that made them appealing, like no install bullshit, no patches, no bloated operating systems etc. They moved away from that when Microsoft and Sony tried to conquer the living room.

But I still maintain that both can coexist and both still serve different types of customers or customer behaviors.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Fair enough, but they really want to make gaming mainstream. ALL of them:

Whether they will achieve that or not, it remains to be seen. One thing's for sure: they will keep chasing the bucks and we know physical consoles will never exceed PS2/DS records (150m each). PS4 might top out at 120m, no more than that.

Every time they do, they fail in an epic way. Ubisofts games and XBox first party along with their policies and practices are getting worse and worse....

Real core gaming is console and PC, console gaming has a max sell through of 250 - 300 million consoles per generation, who knows how many of these are double dippers and own multiple consoles of different brands!
I personally have 2 PS4's and 2 Switches.

Most PC gamers will not change from that platform and most console gamers will not move from there either IMO.
If companies are not happy with the size of the core gamer crowd, I'd suggest they look at mobile gaming or something like that because you can't suddenly make a billion people interested in core gaming out of nowhere.....

I don't understand this "no patches" complaint to diss modern consoles. Even Nintendo has updates. So what? Should they not patch BoTW? Higher complexity = more bugs.

Back when Windows 95 was a thing, I don't remember service packs over the internet, let alone breaking the OS (a regular occurrence in modern Windows 10 updates).

Video games are the same thing essentially. We're talking about millions of lines of code. They've grown exponentially since the Genesis/SNES era, so what did you expect?

Installs are a good thing for me, I never liked laser wear and tear. Besides, HDDs and SSDs are much faster than the (stagnant) optical media.

Don't like installs and updates? Well, then get Stadia/xCloud/PS Now. Personally, as a fan of local hardware I'll wait for streaming to mature first. 20 years should be enough IMHO.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I'd like to think that at the end of the day we should celebrate that there are so many platforms to enjoy our hobby on. Console...PC...doesn't matter. We're all brothers.

...except for mobile gamers. Nobody loves those freaks.

Mobile and streaming games are not acceptable IMO. Both would be outlawed if I came to power....

Not until you can buy a $500 PC off the shelf that will offer equal 'practical' horsepower, and last for 7 years before requiring an upgrade.

Ergo, not likely anytime soon.

Specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor
3.2GHz (Max 4.7GHz), 12MB L3 Cache
16GB DDR4 SDRAM/64GB (Max)
240GB Solid State Drive + 1TB, SATA III, 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet, 802.11AC WiFi
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, PCI Express x 16 Graphics... Price $350

I hope you have enough toilet paper to clean up all that poop :messenger_poop:

They really need to change the turbo boot to reflect all core boost. the 4.7 ghz turbo on the 8700 is damned misleading since that's the max single core turbo when the all core is 4.3.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Already has in my opinion. Consoles have become more and more like PCs. We've now reached a point where games have to be installed, and physical media isn't what it used to be.

I hope not and I only game on PC. We would have companies like nvidia and intel running amok with $1000 midrange gpus and $500 cpus. Next gen consoles like the ps5 are the only hope of pc hardware prices coming back down to sane levels.

Or you can spend $400 on XB1X and get Game Pass Ultimate for $1...
...per month + cost of Gold for each month, which is a minimum of $60 a year, up to a limit of 36 months, which would be $616 all in...and that only covers you for 3 years, after that you'll have to pay full whack, doesn't include any game outside ultimate and you don't get to keep anything. A good deal, no doubt...but not quite as good as you're trying to bill it to be.

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Man I hope not. PC is a nice alternative for some some folks but I vastly prefer the simplicity of the console experience.

I've been kicking around the idea of building a little gaming PC recently but bare minimum I'm looking at $500, and that's without a Windows license. I'd almost rather just spring for a Xbox One S at that point, especially when they go on sale around Black Friday for <$200, as they have in the past.

Edit: I'm also one of those nutters that still values physical media, which is practically a no-go on the PC.

Last edited:

dalekjay

Pc will not replace consoles ever, and both consoles and pc will not resist a fight with streaming in the long run like 2030-40 streaming will be king (unfortunately)

Myths

Pc will not replace consoles ever, and both consoles and pc will not resist a fight with streaming in the long run like 2030-40 streaming will be king (unfortunately)
Good thing PC’s will still have its use outside of gaming. Just saying. Consoles, as we know them today, on the other hand...

MS and Sony better have a plan in place starting now as a preemptive move.

Justin9mm

McpPHPy.png

Alright you're getting a bit annoying with that "smocking ganja" skit, what are you Jamaican or Hindi with a British or Australian accent mate? :pie_diana:
A one off rare type clearance sale does not prove that its cheaper. This price is available to not even 0.0001% of the population so you are delusional mate!

Justin9mm

I understand that there are those options, but a good chunk of P.C. games are predicated towards Mouse/Keyboard users. People trying to use a controller for multiplayer games will be at a greater disadvantage, compared to Consoles where the majority are controller users (evens the odds). Not to mention trying to enjoy a MMORPG with a controller is a bit of a chore.
Each serve their purpose with their strengths and weaknesses.
Disadvantage? Tell that to all the PC Players I murked in the MW Beta on my X and Pro! lol

KB+M can only get you so far!

Last edited:
It already has for sony and ms. These are basically pc that you upgrade every 3 yrs for a resolution boost.

As for actual windows pc. Nah. Consoles have a charm. It would be drab to have keyboard and mouse or a touchscreen as only option.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
There will always be PCs when we talk about the form factor, but I wouldn't mind a unified standard for the games themselves, instead of having to invest in a beefy PC and have at least two consoles hooked up just so you can play most of the stuff that's out there. Of course that will bring a lot of issues with scaling to all the different hardware unless that's unified too, and I don't see that happening for quite a while.

Denton

Consoles are cheaper and dumber, so as long as there are poors and dumbs consoles will succeed

(I own a Pro as wel las PC and the comment above, while couched in truth, is tongue in cheek)

Saruhashi

Banned
I can't see it happening to be honest.

In my view, people who are really into their PC gaming are the real video game enthusiasts.

I see people talking on here about frame rates and "1080p" etc and I think "what the fuck are they on about".

Especially when it comes to things like Nintendo Switch. I just don't get it. The games are either good or they aren't.
I understand that my PS4 is capable of WAY better performance that my Switch but I still end up playing Switch more often.
Yeah, I can see some pixelation here or the game slows down there but I actually also kind of don't care.

I want to go online, order my console and then pick it up at the shop.
Then I want to plug it into the wall, into my TV and then get going.

I don't want to fuck about with upgrading and pissing around with framerates and whatever the fuck.
I just want to play games.

Four or five years roll around and there's a new thing coming out? I just want to repeat the same process.

I think PC gaming is for the enthusiast who literally wants to be at the absolute cutting edge of gaming.
That's awesome but I feel like the majority of people just want to play whatever catches their attention.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I can't see it happening to be honest.

In my view, people who are really into their PC gaming are the real video game enthusiasts.

I see people talking on here about frame rates and "1080p" etc and I think "what the fuck are they on about".

Especially when it comes to things like Nintendo Switch. I just don't get it. The games are either good or they aren't.
I understand that my PS4 is capable of WAY better performance that my Switch but I still end up playing Switch more often.
Yeah, I can see some pixelation here or the game slows down there but I actually also kind of don't care.

I want to go online, order my console and then pick it up at the shop.
Then I want to plug it into the wall, into my TV and then get going.

I don't want to fuck about with upgrading and pissing around with framerates and whatever the fuck.
I just want to play games.

Four or five years roll around and there's a new thing coming out? I just want to repeat the same process.

I think PC gaming is for the enthusiast who literally wants to be at the absolute cutting edge of gaming.
That's awesome but I feel like the majority of people just want to play whatever catches their attention.

I'll be honest, every time I see someone saying "next gen should be 60fps everywhere" or demand a "performance mode" so they can play on PS4 Pro at hopefully 60fps, I wonder why they don't just build a PC. Because if that's really what you want, it's the only way to get it without relying on the whims of corporations and development teams on a deadline. If it matters that much to you, this is a solved problem, so why are you asking other people to solve it again? Just build a PC and enjoy 60fps everywhere. Maybe this gen will make some people be like, "yea this is important to me, I should go ahead and do this." Not many though.

Along those lines, yea, the Switch is a known quantity, why complain about resolution or detail levels on it? Were we really expecting full res 60fps Overwatch on the Switch? Be reasonable here.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Not until you can buy a $500 PC off the shelf that will offer equal 'practical' horsepower, and last for 7 years before requiring an upgrade.

Ergo, not likely anytime soon.

Majority prefer 500$ laptops instead of desktops for convenience. Even worse!

Funny thing is PC can last longer if you disable OS updates, redundant programmes and services, use Windows 7 or Linux etc

Problem is inexperienced pc users are majority and have no clue about how to utilise it.

OS becomes crumbled with malware, pre-installed apps, startup apps, update and cortana eating memory etc.

Then they complain the PC is ultra slow and not fit for games.

Also majority of AAA games on PC don't even care about taking advantage of older systems, overheating new systems instead. While they utilise every bit and byte of weak consoles to the point of overheating.

Many PS3 and early ps4 ports could even run on Windows XP had developers wanted to. Hence Linux is better suited for low end systems.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Modern consoles ARE PCs - with the only difference being some mildly custom hardware, controller as default input instead of kb&m and an entirely locked down OS that won't even let you install stuff not on their official store.
Just look at the next PlayStation...
Hardware specs read like a nice mid-high-range gaming rig.
You can play all old games either directly or via emulation - exactly how it works on any PC.

It becomes more and more obvious to me with each console generation that consoles and PC will sooner or later merge into one.
Just imagine a console, but with an OS that isn't in permanent lockdown, actually allows you to do admin stuff and work with kb&m - there you go, you got yourself a PC.
Monitor vs TV is just a matter of size and distance anyway.

Pejo

I think Mobile will eventually (read: long time from now) kill all other gaming platforms. When you can hook up a low latency controller wirelessly and either wired/wirelessly broadcast to a TV, you won't really need anything else. Obviously the tech isn't there yet, but when mobile computing gets as powerful as desktop computing, why would you need a PC anymore? I'd be surprised if dedicated gaming consoles survive another 3~ generations with streaming and mobile at its heels.

DedEmbryonicCell

Neo Member
I don't think either will replace the other ..

But I do believe having a PC is better all around if you're into performance ..

I have a PC and a PS4 Pro, the PS4 is basically for exclusives and playing with friends .. but I'm not one for 4K or even 2K, I just want performance ..

Watched a review video of the Outer Worlds and on Xbox One X the game stutters at 30FPS, it can't even keep a steady 30FPS in some spots (This leads me to believe that the PS4 definitely will not be able to) so I will be playing it with a glorious 60+ FPS .. and you can say what you want theres a big difference ..

They're two very different products ..

Top Bottom