• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I can understand why you would someone not want to upgrade if s/he already has Win7.
But why would anyone downgrade from Win8 to Win7? For start menu alone? Because if you ignore start screen (and some inconsistencies in UI), Win8 is a much better system than 7.

Businesses prefer to have standardized environments that can easily managed and have a low TCO. Switching to another OS on thousands of PCs is a huge costly effort. It's not just creating a new image, it also means checking if the old hardware and software is compatible, repackaging software, making new policies, updating printers, the list goes on and on. Since Windows 8 is optimized for tablet use, there really is no use for most businesses to make the effort when the vast majority of users work on desktops/laptops with regular Windows desktop apps.

venne

500 million in a little over a year is insane. It took Windows 7 two years to sell 450 million.

I seriously doubt they can offer that sort of accelerated sales growth following their current model. They must have something up their sleeve to think they can reach that number. Is the upcoming hardware just that compelling? Will there be cut rate upgrade costs? Will their phone platform come to be Windows NT? What about the next Xbox?

EVIL

The article says "up to 500 million users". I doubt they expect 500 million sales. 'up to' makes it more of an upper bound. Besides, 'users' doesn't mean sales. You can have multiple people using one pc.

They are talking about users in the way that people with a windows phone, using win 8 on there counts as a user, a new xbox with win 8 on there, is also a user. Not only pc's and win7 phones, but a large range of devices.

venne

The article says "up to 500 million users". I doubt they expect 500 million sales. 'up to' makes it more of an upper bound. Besides, 'users' doesn't mean sales. You can have multiple people using one pc.

. . . and a single user can own multiple computers.

That's an extraordinarily high upper bound to throw out. There must be something behind his optimism.

glaurung

500 000 000 is not an impossible number, but it is a number for life time sales. By that time, they will churn out 1.5 service packs, both fixing issues and creating new ones.

By 2014 Windows 8 will be more or less mature.

I suspect the first half of 2015 will already see Microsoft hitting the users with a new box. Either Win 8.5 or Windows X - whatever they will call their semi-cloud-based OS.

Just to chime in on the discussion that was had earlier about holding down a button for boot menu...

I'm assuming the user questioning why it couldn't be done was thinking along the lines of what you do with a Mac. The reason is that Macs are standardised hardware with standardised bootloaders. They are designed with that function in mind.

In terms of pre UEFI hardware -- PCs are far more variable - different motherboards, different on board components, different peripherals (albeit standardised ones in the case of keyboards). Every x86 motherboard comes with its own ROM / BIOS, typically an American Megatrends (AMI), Insyde Software, Phoenix Technologies or Byosoft BIOS -- these are designed for flexible hardware and usually follow their own specific and rigid POST routine. It isn't until that routine has reached the stage where it passes control on to the operating system that the operating system itself is free to listen to input, and what Microsoft are essentially saying is that hardware today is so fast, and their Win 8 boot sequence so quick, that button presses in a hardware-variable environment are hard to detect (reliably) in time. Hence their fix. With ARM based products, each manufacturer is probably going to strap in their own bootloader microcode (UEFI / EFI compliant) -- concievably, it should be possible for them (the individual manufacturers and not Microsoft) to do what you're asking, and look for a button press as a hardware switch to invoke the boot / partition menu. I don't believe Microsoft were simply BS'ing or trying to make excuses for themselves... I'm sure if they could roll out a solution that would work on all systems, they would do it.

That's how I've read it / understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong! It wouldn't surprise me if I am! :p

MrBig

i am hoping that will get hacked and we can install other OS's like linux.

Yeah, it'd make a nice platform for people to mod low power linux tablets with custom touch UIs. Of course I really don't see W8 ARM taking hold of any marketshare unless MS really pushes marketing on that, and even then it wont have a mature app ecosystem for at least a year.

x86 Windows tablets would let you use W8, any of the various linux flavors, and x86 Android, all right out of the box.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Businesses prefer to have standardized environments that can easily managed and have a low TCO. Switching to another OS on thousands of PCs is a huge costly effort. It's not just creating a new image, it also means checking if the old hardware and software is compatible, repackaging software, making new policies, updating printers, the list goes on and on. Since Windows 8 is optimized for tablet use, there really is no use for most businesses to make the effort when the vast majority of users work on desktops/laptops with regular Windows desktop apps.

Except that it isn't. Other than the Start menu the desktop environment works exactly the same as Windows 7, only better. For example the new Task Manager and file copy functionality alone are worth the upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
It's box that makes a light show with red LEDs.
Yeah, it'd make a nice platform for people to mod low power linux tablets with custom touch UIs. Of course I really don't see W8 ARM taking hold of any marketshare unless MS really pushes marketing on that, and even then it wont have a mature app ecosystem for at least a year.

x86 Windows tablets would let you use W8, any of the various linux flavors, and x86 Android, all right out of the box.
no amount of marketing will make that tablet fly off the shelfs. Not as long as there are hybrides that do the exact same thing but better.

Road

500 million in a little over a year is insane. It took Windows 7 two years to sell 450 million.

I seriously doubt they can offer that sort of accelerated sales growth following their current model. They must have something up their sleeve to think they can reach that number. Is the upcoming hardware just that compelling? Will there be cut rate upgrade costs? Will their phone platform come to be Windows NT? What about the next Xbox?

They expect their tablets to be successful. They're not counting only on laptops or desktops. 8 has the potential to sell faster.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so apparently the metro IE in the final build may have flash support. According to the guy that runs WinUnleaked.tk Adobe shared the source code with Microsoft. Adobe Flash is in the control panel in the RP.
Canouna-WinUnleaked.tk said:
Adobe Flash player is included in the Release Preview, Adobe shared the "source code" with Microsoft. Apparently from some sources, Internet Explorer Immersive will coming with flash too, wait and see.

Here a shot of the control panel post-install, build is 100% stock:

8Sarx.png

A good beginning... let's see if Microsoft going to include it to IE Immersive for the RTM.

Edit:

Here the result when I try to install Adobe Flash:

k32ND.png

This worked on pre-RC build.

Also, here a view from the advaced tab of the pre-installed Adobe Flash from 8400:

FZMl1.png

http://winunleaked.tk/showthread.php?51-Windows-8-Release-Preview&p=2636&viewfull=1#post2636
Source code is shared, now we need to wait from Microsoft to add this to IE Immersive, this coming soon apparently.

I don't see flash on IE Immersive (Build 8400), but sources told me that month ago, maybe for RTM? let's see.

PS: It's a good beginning, Install RC, go to control panel, and you can see Adobe Flash installed, so... the rest coming soon.

Updated my post.

http://winunleaked.tk/showthread.php?51-Windows-8-Release-Preview&p=2641&viewfull=1#post2641
Really, I don't know, one of my sources said it month ago, and I can start to see Adobe is built-in the RC, so, maybe this was real and IE Immersive will be included too, maybe for RTM.

I try to get more info about it asap.

http://winunleaked.tk/showthread.php?51-Windows-8-Release-Preview&p=2644&viewfull=1#post2644

so apparently the metro IE in the final build may have flash support. According to the guy that runs WinUnleaked.tk Adobe shared the source code with Microsoft. Adobe Flash is in the control panel in the RP.

Hard to believe, after Microsoft dropped Silverlight and keeps pushing hard for HTML5. But I guess there's nothing money can't fix.

jagowar

This would fit in with the idea of win8 retaining the legacy while trying to move forward.... try as they might html5 has not yet completely taken over and will be at least 5 yrs before it does. Flash is still very popular so you really do need both (unlike silverlight flash is actually in widespread use). The issue with flash will continue to be security but I think that is the reason if this rumor is correct that its baked in directly in windows is so ms can reduce the intrusion points as much as possible.... the question I would have is how updates would happen.... would they really be bundled in with windows updates or still happen through adobe?

MrBig

I hope that isn't true, I'd rather see the web move on to HTML5's open standards as that gets more developed than retain flash.

giga

It's most likely not true. They're just bundling Flash into the control panel because Windows RT won't be able to install third party desktop apps. Flash will work in desktop IE but not in Metro.

It's the same interface on the Mac preference pane. (which used to bundle Flash as well, until Apple realized it was a bad idea when they shipped 10.6 with a version of Flash that had a security exploit)

F3nYA.png

Windu

It's most likely not true. They're just bundling Flash into the control panel because Windows RT won't be able to install third party desktop apps. Flash will work in desktop IE but not in Metro.

It's the same interface on the Mac preference pane. (which used to bundle Flash as well, until Apple realized it was a bad idea when they shipped 10.6 with a version of Flash that had a security exploit)
yeah that could be it. Although it does show no plugins etc.. installed. The consumer preview flash shows a plugin installed for me.

ZfM1L.jpg

Of course it being stock probably doesn't need a plugin or whatever.

giga

Shitty news. Guess they couldn't do anything about websites serving HTML5 video only to iOS devices…even when Flash for mobile has been discontinued.

Running Metro style IE plug-in free improves battery life as well as security, reliability, and privacy for consumers. Plug-ins were important early on in the web’s history. But the web has come a long way since then with HTML5. Providing compatibility with legacy plug-in technologies would detract from, rather than improve, the consumer experience of browsing in the Metro style UI.

So much for that.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...g-and-plug-in-free-html5.aspx?Redirected=true

JonnyBrad

Very weird. I've just spent ages changing a ton of flash sites over to streaming webm/mp4. Its a bit of a pain in the ass having to make 2 of everything when before it was just an FLV.

jagowar

Bolting it in directly to IE is probably the best thing to happen to flash ever.... funny thing is this gives flash a whole new lease on life and will push the html5 transition back years (but it was already going to take years on its own).

To me this is how flash should have always been done.... the plugin method was always a poor way to do it because of all the security/performance issues.

Windu

This info is coming straight from the other site, it says so right in the article.
Those 2 images are not from winunleak, those are his images. He is a credible source anyway. 2 sources with inside knowledge saying the same thing i think pretty much confirms it.

giga

Would it be too hyperbolic to call this "the day HTML5 died"?
HTML5 video was never alive on the desktop--which is infuriating. We'll see about mobile. iOS is still leading in terms of browser share and Android will have to drop Flash sooner or later since Adobe gave up on it.

jagowar

HTML5 video was never alive on the desktop--which is infuriating. We'll see about mobile. iOS is still leading in terms of browser share and Android will have to drop Flash sooner or later since Adobe gave up on it.

I almost think this may be a sign of a flash rebirth.... if they are going to be willing to give source code access to people (because of the increased competition) others can natively integrate it you could see the others follow suit because as much as people talk about html5 flash is still much more widespread and even ios struggles on many sites still.

Cheebo

Banned
Would it be too hyperbolic to call this "the day HTML5 died"?
You are forgetting about a little is called iOS which dominates the tablet market that heavily uses and relies on HTML5.

Not to mention Adobe will no longer support flash for mobile regardless what windows 8 does.

Adobe killed mobile flash and Apple doesn't support it. Microsoft doesn't have the sway Apple does in mobile, they don't have the ability to bring it back because they support it. Especially with Adobe siding with Apple on flash for Mobile.

kehs

Banned
You are forgetting about a little is called iOS which dominates the tablet market that heavily uses and relies on HTML5.

Not to mention Adobe will no longer support flash for mobile regardless what windows 8 does.

Adobe killed mobile flash and Apple doesn't support it. Microsoft doesn't have the sway Apple does in mobile, they don't have the ability to bring it back because they support it. Especially with Adobe siding with Apple on flash for Mobile.

iOS accounts for about 15% of internet traffic.

In a world where people are finally not letting devices mandate their usage patterns, it doesn't matter much.

Cheebo

Banned
But iPad doesn't support it. Html5 is very much needed for it. And iPad will have over 50% market share of tablets for the foreseeable future by all analyst forecasts. Calling for the death of html5 when the dominat market leader uses it is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom