• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Jzero

iEDK1GPB7KFSX.png

ibyFj1sJa1paGv.png

• MSDN & TechNet: August 15th, 2012 Available!
  • DreamSpark Premium: August 25th, 2012 Available!
  • General Availability: October 26th, 2012

i5cKjBITWtrty.png

Windows RT:

Support:
  • Only available with new devices
  • Only runs on ARM processors such as the Nvidia Tegra 3 and Qualcomm Snapdragon S4
Features:
  • New 'Modern UI Style' look
  • Microsoft Account Support - Login to any device anywhere with your account with roaming settings, bookmarks, password etc.
  • Multiple User Support - for a shared experience
  • Class Drivers for a wide range of devices including printers, external storage and 4G/3G connections out of the box
  • Access to applications from the new Windows Store
  • High Resolution Display support
  • Connected Standby - so you content is always up to date (requires hardware support)
  • Exchange ActiveSync for email, contacts and calendars
  • Limited Desktop (file system, office and system settings)
  • Remote desktop (client only)

Windows RT only features:
  • Office 2013 RT included with all devices (Preview at launch, to be upgraded to final version)
  • Connect to Enterprise Management Systems for line of business applications
    (somewhere in-between Exchange ActiveSync and full Domain Join)

Windows 8 (Standard):

Support:
  • Runs on x86/x64 processors
  • Available as a standalone software
  • Upgrades from Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium
Features:
  • All Windows RT features including access to applications from the new Windows Store
  • Full Desktop access
  • Compatibility with the millions of existing Windows Applications
  • File History - "Previous Versions" reimagined
  • Storage Spaces - Turn random hard drives into one single pool of storage (with redundancy)
  • Windows Media Player
  • Enterprise Domain Join
Windows 8 Professional:

Support:
  • Runs on x86/x64 processors
  • Available as a standalone software
  • Upgrades from Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate
Features:
  • All Windows RT and Windows 8 (Standard) features including access to applications from the new Windows Store
  • Hyper-V virtualisation environment
  • Hard Drive Encryption (EFS, Bitlocker and Bitlocker to go)
  • Access to Windows Media Centre (paid upgrade)
  • Native Remote Desktop Host
ibaBnbI0e429yI.png

i5lDn9QfPONfD.png

The new Windows 8 start screen allows you organize the programs you need the most and also hosts the new metro applications.
You can still use the good ol' desktop that we all love if you are using Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro by just clicking the Desktop tile.

iOhWd7wWrbVe0.png

Microsoft Security Essentials has been renamed to Windows Defender and comes built in with Windows 8, so
you don't have to worry about Installing anti-virus software. If you decide to use another antivirus anyways,
you can disable Windows Defender and do so.

iDZwrCLfC8oqr.PNG

The task manager in Windows 8 has been greatly improved visually and now includes a 'Startup' tab so you can change what programs
start up with your computer without having to use Msconfig. You can either have a small version or an advanced version of the task
manager depending on your needs.

ib01ISjorOzOUb.PNG
ipqLoLUVu8stP.PNG

The 'Charms' bar is a handy pop up that activates when you hover over the top or bottom right of your screen and allows you to use:
  • Search: The search feature has been split into three categories (Apps, Settings, Files) and also lets you search inside metro applications. (which is great)
    You can start typing on the start screen to search if you don't want to do it from the charms bar.
  • Share: The share feature allows you to share things (like articles from inside the Wikipedia app) and let's you email them to your contacts.
  • Devices: The devices feature allows you to send information to devices such as a printer.
  • Settings: The settings tab host some of the most important setting like Wi-Fi settings, Volume, Screen Brightness, Notifications (Disable),
    Power options (Sleep, Shut Down, Restart), Keyboard Settings for changing the language, and "Change PC Settings".

iP5ANgNHCMW7q.png
ipI5sji5PpYs1.png
iS8z89uhkJbIP.png
iWIWm3Dkazorf.png
iPuWDcrFNc8uH.png

i1xqGPNDbx9V8.png

Right clicking the "Start Corner" (Bottom left corner of screen) will make this little menu pop up and it will let you use most features that
power users and computer technicians use.

Another one of my favorite visual improvements is the one they did to the windows progress bar. It now shows progress for multiple files
in a single dialog box, rather than opening one dialog for each action.

igUyPZAtTLq0d.png
ibJdTMqkVCurq.png

Windows 8 comes with a built in 'App Store' which features Windows 8 apps and also includes links to desktop (Non Metro) applications.
You can start typing from the home screen of the store to search through the available the apps.

igSbQBmH5s2DC.png

Also included is the Skydrive application which lets you easily backup and download your files from and to the cloud. (7GB of storage for free!)

iWZsNaEAckdKn.png

i9p4yTXGNTrm3.png

ibvpeInNzPWeY7.png

ibvVnHF1sYjkFF.png

What are the best tablets/hybrids available for Windows 8 ?

Head on over to this thread and find out yourself.

What are some mice that are optimized for full Windows 8 gestures?

Jzero

is26sPBhSEqvI.png

Can my computer run Windows 8?

• Windows 8 takes up less resources than Windows 7 so it should run even in older computers.
    If you want to make sure, you can use the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant which will check
    to make sure your PC is ready for Windows 8.
The basic requirements are as follows:
  • 1GHz or faster SSE2/PAE processor is required.
  • 1GB RAM (32-bit) or 2GB RAM (64-bit)
  • 16GB available hard-disk space (32-bit) or 20GB (64-bit)
  • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

After I upgrade, can I use my old Windows version on a separate partition or on another PC? Can I give it away or sell it?
  • No. The upgrade replaces the old license completely.
Can i try Windows 8 before buying it?
  • Sure, you can download the Enterprise version and evaluate it for 90 days. Just go HERE.
    Keep in mind that you will not be able to upgrade this version to the retail version.
I want to upgrade but i don't like the 'Hot Corners' or starting in the metro start, can i remove them?
  • You can download this and it will disable them for you.
How do i turn off my computer?
  • The power options have moved to the 'Settings' portion of the charms bar but the easiest option is just to
    press the power button on your computer.
Are updates in Windows 8 still as annoying as they were in Windows 7?
How do i do a search in the Windows 8 Store?
  • You can start typing straight from the home screen of the store or click on charms and then the store icon.
What is the difference between the $39.99 and the $69.99 upgrade?
  • For one you have to download Windows 8 from Microsoft's website and the other already comes in an
    installation DVD.
Are Windows 8 Release Preview users eligible for the $40 upgrade to Windows 8 Pro promotion?
  • Unfortunately you can't. You need to have a previous OS with an activated key in order to get the upgrade price.
Do i have to use my Microsoft account to make a user account?
How do i close a metro application?
  • To completely close a metro application all you have to do is to click on the top of the screen and drag the screen down.
    You don't have to close metro applications though since they suspend themselves when not in use.
How do i burn a Windows 8 DVD or Boot Flash Drive?
Will Windows 8 negatively affect my gaming performance?
  • Not significantly
How do i add custom tiles to my apps?
How are you guys giving titles to specific sections? Games/Entertainment/etc.
  • Go to the start screen
    Zoom out (minus button or pinch out or ctrl + mouse wheel back)
    Right click on a column
    Name Group
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Nero3000 and Windu for the help!

Anyways, please do not come in here and start shitting up this thread.

Nice job OP. It's weird not having the "Start" button on the taskbar. I'm still getting used to it though I find that I still spend the majority of my time on the desktop.

Jzero

Nice job OP. It's weird not having the "Start" button on the taskbar. I'm still getting used to it though I find that I still spend the majority of my time on the desktop.

Well yea you're not supposed to be on the metro apps all day unless you're using RT. I use the desktop 80% of the time and metro apps 20% of the time. Everything is used for a different purpose.

I have win 7 on my laptop, but I wanna do a fresh install with win 8 ($40 upgrade one).

What do I do?

Where do I even 'download' the $40 one?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I have win 7 on my laptop, but I wanna do a fresh install with win 8 ($40 upgrade one).

What do I do?

You can get physical upgrade disks I believe, or you can probably get an upgrade through Microsoft. They'll have you download the ISO and you can either burn it to a disk or set it up to install through a USB.

Jzero

What do I do?

You have to wait until launch day. Then you would have to go to their website and download the upgrade. You have windows 7 so you qualify for that price.

Read the OP people, the answers are there ;)

strata8

Well yea you're not supposed to be on the metro apps all day unless you're using RT. I use the desktop 80% of the time and metro apps 20% of the time. Everything is used for a different purpose.

I didn't like it a first, but I've started using Metro apps more and more often. They're just so much faster. I can start using my laptop instantly after standby with Windows 8 - in Windows 7 I had to wait 30 seconds for anything to work because every program would hog the hard disk (I'm looking at you, Dropbox!).

That, and some of the apps (eg, Mail, Skydrive) are infinitely better than their desktop equivalents.

Probably gonna have to go out and get this. I'm willing to give it a shot... I do love the colors, though the boxyness is a little eh. But, I still like it.

You have to wait until launch day. Then you would have to go to their website and download the upgrade. You have windows 7 so you qualify for that price.

Read the OP people, the answers are there ;)

Yeah just wondering if the 'upgrade' would allow me to do a fresh install.

Also, is there a way for me to know if my touchpad will support all the gestures of win 8?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You can reformat your hard drive with an upgrade disk.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Very nice OP. Looking forward to upgrading. I think I'm going to give Metro a shot.

f0lken

Yeah just wondering if the 'upgrade' would allow me to do a fresh install.

Yes, but if you have a problem all versions of Windows 8 have an option to "refresh" the system (keeping all your files and configurations, but reseting the programs and drivers, or "restart" which is basically a full reformat of your PC

I assume links will be updated when dls go live?

I'm kinda pumped. Think my almost year old ultrabook got some virus in china and is sad, and needs an update :)

Jzero

I assume links will be updated when dls go live?

I'm kinda pumped. Think my almost year old ultrabook got some virus in china and is sad, and needs an update :)

Yes, i'll definitely update the links. Right now they are nonexistent that's why i didn't post them.

DagsJT

So I've got Windows 7 already and plan to get the download upgrade.

But what happens if, for example, I replace my SSD? Do I need to install Windows 7, then run the Win8 upgrade? Seems a bit fiddly if that's the case.

Jzero

So I've got Windows 7 already and plan to get the download upgrade.

But what happens if, for example, I replace my SSD? Do I need to install Windows 7, then run the Win8 upgrade? Seems a bit fiddly if that's the case.

Once you upgrade your Windows 7 will become nonexistent so you won't be able to use the windows 7 key anymore. You will however, be able to re-install with the Windows 8 key they give you.

But yeah, i'm still curious about trackpad gestures. Wasn't there a blog post about that?
It really matters on the manufacturer of the trackpad. You should Google to see if anyone that has your laptop is using windows 8.

DagsJT

Once you upgrade your Windows 7 will become nonexistent so you won't be able to use the windows 7 key anymore. You will however, be able to re-install with the Windows 8 key they give you.

Hmm, so the Windows 8 upgrade then becomes a "full version" so to speak? Meaning I'd just boot off that ISO and install as if it's a full version? Pretty good if that's the case.

Great OP!

Been using Win8 ever since the developer preview almost a year ago. It's absolutely fantastic. App store has been filling up at a pretty good rate too.

Kiraly

How does Office 2013 RT fare against the full version?

For what kind of users would you recommend RT over x86?

Student here looking for something fresh.

Nice OP.

Just skimming the images in the OP...I'm suprised at how inconsistent the menu designs are in the normal Desktop.

The PC Settings UI looks metro-ized while the Task Manager and Windows Defender match. What does WMP look like?

Jzero

It looks almost identical.

People with a tighter budget will get the RT's

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I'm a little afraid Windows 8 is too reliant on me knowing keyboard shortcuts to do stuff quickly and easily.

strata8

Nice OP.

Just skimming the images in the OP...I'm suprised at how inconsistent the menu designs are in the normal Desktop.

The PC Settings UI looks metro-ized while the Task Manager and Windows Defender match. What does WMP look like?

The PC settings is Metro, not a desktop program.

I'm a little afraid Windows 8 is too reliant on me knowing keyboard shortcuts to do stuff quickly and easily.

It's really easy with a mouse, but not so much with trackpads that don't support the new gestures.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Nice job Jzero!

Jzero

A good question to add to the OP which I hope can be answered. If I upgrade will it affect my PC Gaming.

Nope, it hasn't affected me in the slightest. You can still use Steam and Origin and all the other stuff you usually use.

A good question to add to the OP which I hope can be answered. If I upgrade will it affect my PC Gaming.

It is windows 7 with a shit new menu and a shit new store. Both can be completely ignored.

Nothing changes.

If you get it for nothing, the "upgrade" is quick and painless.

f0lken

The main difference is that in RT you can't install traditional programs (like photoshop, games like starcraft, etc), only apps from the store, which makes RT more similart to an iPad or Android tablet but with access to the desktop and MS Office.

The full version is an improved Windows 7 with the App marketplace and metro

Top Bottom