• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

I've yet to get work arounds for the library issues to work with my qnap NAS

I started using Plex to allow people upstairs to stream thru DLNA bluray player as well as client on iphone and windows 8

Plex might be my favorite app ever for music and video..its more of a streaming app..but running your own personal netflix like server at home that you can stream to anywhere is pretty damn cool
client is 3bucks server is free

Bah, looks like Plex doesn't support my NAS. I had the feeling when I bought that thing that I was kind of getting in over my head, and doing some searching around to figure out how to get this working is quickly proving me right. Hopefully the Win8 native media apps will eventually be updated to let you add NAS folders to your media libraries?

railGUN

Banned
You didn't notice the windows icon in the charms? Toggles the start screen/desktop.
Also I think most Win 8 touchscreens have a dedicated windows button.

I just swiped it in quick, I spent all my time tapping and swiping in the lower left corner, never occurred to me to look there.

Edit: derp, I didn't even notice that button on my desktop, but I rarely use the charm bar (or my PC for that matter), always just clicked the corner or used the windows key. I just assumed it would have a dedicated gesture.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I dicked around with a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop tonight at Walmart (an Acer) - how do you bring up the Start screen via touch?

I found the "close app" gesture pretty janky too, it kept bringing up the settings(?) menu (as if I was right clicking). Charm swipe worked great though, but overall I wasn't impressed.
Swipe in from the right bezel and hit the windows logo. Can also bring up the task switcher on the left by swiping in from the left bezel and then quickly swiping back. You can then hit the start screen preview on the bottom left.

hom3land

Had to get a laptop for school, so ended up getting an Asus with windows 8. I already have windows 8 running on my htpc, and never really fell in love with the start screen (though its mostly used for xbmc and light browsing). The new laptop has a touch screen and while not total fanboy, I definitely do see the appeal for the metro interface. To see the score updates, it only took a swipe and a tap to click on espnfc and my info was there. An added bonus, now playing Puzzle Agents on steam and playing it all by touch screen. Curious and hopeful Sam and Max, and the walking dead, and any other point and click adventures are touch screen accessible.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Had to get a laptop for school, so ended up getting an Asus with windows 8. I already have windows 8 running on my htpc, and never really fell in love with the start screen (though its mostly used for xbmc and light browsing). The new laptop has a touch screen and while not total fanboy, I definitely do see the appeal for the metro interface. To see the score updates, it only took a swipe and a tap to click on espnfc and my info was there. An added bonus, now playing Puzzle Agents on steam and playing it all by touch screen. Curious and hopeful Sam and Max, and the walking dead, and any other point and click adventures are touch screen accessible.
I'm pretty sure Minecraft added touch support, I suppose other games might continue to patch touch support...

Woah - from the desktop, when you adjust the volume slider instead of the little tinny ping noise from Windows 7 that lets you know how loud you've set it, it plays a chord that sounds just like the FF10 to Zanarkand song.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Woah - from the desktop, when you adjust the volume slider instead of the little tinny ping noise from Windows 7 that lets you know how loud you've set it, it plays a chord that sounds just like the FF10 to Zanarkand song.

I'm not getting that from it... :p

(edit: Ok I can imagine what note you're thinking of...... was it really worth a 'Whoa'? ;P )

Maybe this has been covered, but is it possible to launch a metro app using the task scheduler? I think it'd be neat for my computer to wake up the same time I do and launch a nice metro style weather app, but I'm not sure if the task scheduler can do that.

plank

Yeah don't know if this is a know issue or not but, I have a Lenovo yoga pad with Windows 8 and I prefer to use Chrome as my default browser. the problem is how do you select multiple text and imitate right clicks and i can't zoom with gestures? On my moms tablet PC its simple but apparently that's not the case with mine. Firefox and IE works fine but can someone here help me out a bit please? thanks :)
anybody? 😞

SPDIF

Maybe this has been covered, but is it possible to launch a metro app using the task scheduler? I think it'd be neat for my computer to wake up the same time I do and launch a nice metro style weather app, but I'm not sure if the task scheduler can do that.

Well to schedule the weather app to run at a certain time is pretty straight forward. Just create a task to run this batch file:

Code:
@echo off 
TIMEOUT /T 5 > nul 
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start bingweather://

You could get the scheduler to wake your PC before doing it. The problem being is that it will wake to the lock screen, and require you to log in before the batch file executes. And I'm pretty sure it's impossible to auto login with the task scheduler. So it wouldn't work.

If you really wanted it to work you could turn auto-login on. If you don't mind doing that then it should be pretty straight forward to do what you want.

Well to schedule the weather app to run at a certain time is pretty straight forward. Just create a task to run this batch file:

Code:
@echo off 
TIMEOUT /T 5 > nul 
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start bingweather://

You could get the scheduler to wake your PC before doing it. The problem being is that it will wake to the lock screen, and require you to log in before the batch file executes. And I'm pretty sure it's impossible to auto login with the task scheduler. So it wouldn't work.

If you really wanted it to work you could turn auto-login on. If you don't mind doing that then it should be pretty straight forward to do what you want.

Thanks. I'm going to give this a shot. I've set my computer to not require a log in when waking up (I think that's what the "Any user who has a password doesn't need to enter it when waking this PC" means in the Users menu), so hopefully this works.

SPDIF

Thanks. I'm going to give this a shot. I've set my computer to not require a log in when waking up (I think that's what the "Any user who has a password doesn't need to enter it when waking this PC" means in the Users menu), so hopefully this works.

Yeah I just tested this and it works perfectly, so it should work.

Also I don't know if you know this already but your PC won't wake up unless you change the power options to allow wake timers.

Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Sleep -> Allow wake timers -> Enable

i think someone was going to release a neogaf app. Any info on that? Or I am mistaken?

It wasn't a NeoGAF app but an app that gives IE10 a mobile user agent, iirc. That way you can use the mobile NeoGAF website on touch, instead of having to use the desktop version.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I can't get any apps to update or install on my new notebook....? I removed macafee and enabled windows defender.

Edit: I got it. I did the troubleshoot repair windows update thing. Pretty annoying.

Odrion

Banned
After using Windows 8 for several months I decided to try out Start8. Metro didn't get any less clunky the longer I used it.

Holy moley. Sorry Microsoft, but the Start Menu is still way better than your metrosphere. I even found myself turning off most of the smart corner and charm features. I haven't really used Metro since launch and from the looks of it, that store ain't getting any better.
Really getting fed up with Windows 8. Applications are so unstable. Steam and Firefox are constantly freezing. XSplit is sluggish as hell (known issue).
Yeah, it's pretty rough. It was okay at first because you'd think Microsoft or the program's authors would respond quicker to compatibility issues, but I guess that was a foolish assumption. :[

jsnepo

I hate it that the indexer keeps on indexing files every reboot. Streaming media files tend to lag because of it. It never happened with Windows 7.

Tomcat

After using Windows 8 for several months I decided to try out Start8. Metro didn't get any less clunky the longer I used it.

Holy moley. Sorry Microsoft, but the Start Menu is still way better than your metrosphere. I even found myself learning off most of the smart corner and charm features. I haven't really used Metro since launch and from the looks of it, that store ain't getting any better.

Yeah, it's pretty rough. It was okay at first because you'd think Microsoft or the program's authors would respond quicker to compatibility issues, but I guess that was a foolish assumption. :[

never had any probs with steam.

It wasn't a NeoGAF app but an app that gives IE10 a mobile user agent, iirc. That way you can use the mobile NeoGAF website on touch, instead of having to use the desktop version.

ahh yes you are correct. That's even better. Hope to release it soon :)

jsnepo

I'm going back to Windows 7. I love the boot up time of Windows 8 and how useful the task manager is but Metro isn't a necessity for me. I doubt this indexing problem will be resolved.

edit: Now I'm getting a DLNA protocol error when I try to stream media. At least I only paid $15 for this crap.

Odrion

Banned
Maybe I'll just go try to find my Windows 7 key and get it running on this computer. I've just turned this OS into Windows 7 anyways, except that it has still prevalent driver and compatibility issues. Are there STILL games that won't boot with a fucking 360 controller plugged in?

Koroviev

Maybe I'll just go try to find my Windows 7 key and get it running on this computer. I've just turned this OS into Windows 7 anyways, except that it has still prevalent driver and compatibility issues. Are there STILL games that won't boot with a fucking 360 controller plugged in?

For what it's worth, I was playing GTA IV last night with a PS3 controller on Windows 8. No issues aside from GTA IV being a lousy port :p

SPDIF

i think someone was going to release a neogaf app. Any info on that? Or I am mistaken?

ahh yes you are correct. That's even better. Hope to release it soon :)

Yeah that's my app. But don't get your hopes up about using it any time soon. It's been ready to be submitted for about a week now, but due to a certain API issue it wouldn't pass certification if I tried to submit it now.

Once I've found a way around the API issue (which I'm currently working on), it'll finally be ready.

jagowar

Yeah that's my app. But don't get your hopes up about using it any time soon. It's been ready to be submitted for about a week now, but due to a certain API issue it wouldn't pass certification if I tried to submit it now.

Once I've found a way around the API issue (which I'm currently working on), it'll finally be ready.

Keep us updated.... just curious but is there separate states in the app to know if its in the snapped mode?

My ideal way for it to work was to automatically load the mobile site when snapped and use the full when in the big window (or have options to let users choose)

SPDIF

Keep us updated.... just curious but is there separate states in the app to know if its in the snapped mode?

My ideal way for it to work was to automatically load the mobile site when snapped and use the full when in the big window (or have options to let users choose)

Yep

iF6Zx0ZGtLDK4.png

I thought it would be best to keep it as an option.

tsumineko

I'm going back to Windows 7. I love the boot up time of Windows 8 and how useful the task manager is but Metro isn't a necessity for me. I doubt this indexing problem will be resolved.

edit: Now I'm getting a DLNA protocol error when I try to stream media. At least I only paid $15 for this crap.

I went back to Windows 7 after being on Windows 8 since launch, and I'm so much happier for it.

For me it was issues with...
*touchpad being taken over too much causing unwanted swipes in from the sides
*general sluggy performance of the OS
*battery life being worse than Windows 7
*lack of start menu
*didn't like my desktop being an "app"
*pop-up app switching/charm bar causing unwanted problems when using maximised windows on the desktop
*How hard it was to do simple stuff like shut the thing down, or access the control panel, or even open up two instances of the file manager

uh wow, listing all of this has really made me realise Windows 8 just wasn't for me I guess.

Edit: I'm running an i7 Zenbook Prime, got the update for only $15, so it's no harm done.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I went back to Windows 7 after being on Windows 8 since launch, and I'm so much happier for it.

For me it was issues with...
*touchpad being taken over too much causing unwanted swipes in from the sides
*general sluggy performance of the OS
*battery life being worse than Windows 7
*lack of start menu
*didn't like my desktop being an "app"

How does that actually affect you in any significant way?

*pop-up app switching/charm bar causing unwanted problems when using maximised windows on the desktop
*How hard it was to do simple stuff like shut the thing down, or access the control panel, or even open up two instances of the file manager

2 instances of file manager is exactly the same as 7. Accessing the control panel is faster in 8, at the desktop use alt-x.

image_9.png

tsumineko

How does that actually affect you in any significant way?

It felt disjointed. Like my desktop was now relegated to being the same as an app. It felt weird, like I was being forced to switch to an app based system. It's hard to explain, but it just didn't feel right in my opinion. I tried to switch my mind to considering the home screen as a new start menu, and the desktop as the main platform, but there was just no getting around the fact that the desktop is now an app that runs old style windows applications. I'm not a fan of this direction MS is going in.

It felt disjointed. Like my desktop was now relegated to being the same as an app. It felt weird, like I was being forced to switch to an app based system. It's hard to explain, but it just didn't feel right in my opinion. I tried to switch my mind to considering the home screen as a new start menu, and the desktop as the main platform, but there was just no getting around the fact that the desktop is now an app that runs old style windows applications. I'm not a fan of this direction MS is going in.

Did you try classic shell (or anything else like it)?

Nup, I thought with the other issues I was having I would just go back to Windows 7 and forget about it.
So something that was overwhelmingly a mental issue, and could've been solved in about 30 seconds, you chose to "fix" by completely changing operating systems. Sound sensible. Thanks for sharing your views.

kitch9

Banned
...Seriously?

Dude, it is a mental thing on your behalf.....

Why is the desktop an app? Its not an app, its the desktop same as its always been. Apps are apps and you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

I don't think I'll be using apps that much until I get a tablet or something and I want to use some apps on all devices.

tsumineko

Dude, it is a mental thing on your behalf.....

Why is the desktop an app? Its not an app, its the desktop same as its always been. Apps are apps and you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

You have missed my point. I knew I could have used third party software to fix some of the problems I was having, however I was having other issues like sluggish performance, problems with my mousepad, and battery life issues that software could not have fixed. Those are the reason why I ultimately decided to just give up and go back to Windows 7, which would solve all my issues without the need for third party applications at all.

You have missed my point. I knew I could have used third party software to fix some of the problems I was having, however I was having other issues like sluggish performance, problems with my mousepad, and battery life issues that software could not have fixed. Those are the reason why I ultimately decided to just give up and go back to Windows 7, which would solve all my issues without the need for third party applications at all.
What? What? And...what?
I think you're either making stuff up, or you have no idea what you're actual issues are. Because none of those have anything to do with Windows 8.

Top Bottom