• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•05-07•17 - Baby Groot & fam show IRL Groot & fam who's Boss

xaosslug

mLZHqIJ.jpg
ML6jrvp.jpg
Bn7ZxzR.jpg
aypO8xD.jpg
JfeqP3V.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
82% Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
9wcOG.gif
67% The Fate of the Furious
8mB0Q.gif
53% The Boss Baby
3Pj0x.gif
45% How to be a Latin Lover
0hJB1.gif
71% Beauty and the Beast (2017)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
53% The Dinner

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Rockets to No. 1 With $145 Million

And just like that, Star-Lord and his band of super buddies are back on top of the box office.

”Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" blasted into domestic theaters this weekend to kick off the summer box office to the tune of $145 million at 4,300 locations. The latest from Disney and Marvel was expected to make $140 million, but possibly more by some analysts considering the studio's track record and enthusiasm that the first go-around generated.

Returning to deliver more bright colors, wise-cracks and another groovy soundtrack, James Gunn directed and scripted the movie starring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, and Bradley Cooper as the titular guardians. The film also features expanded roles for Karen Gillan and Michael Rooker, as well as prominent new characters played by Kurt Russell and Pom Klementieff. The movie functions as an escape thriller, and an origin story for Pratt's Peter Quill (aka Star-Lord). Gunn is already attached to write and direct the third ”Guardians" movie.

”Guardians 2" came into its opening domestic weekend with well over $100 million in the bank from international ticket sales. It made more than $106 million in its first weekend at 58% of overseas territories. This weekend the movie earned an estimated $124 million abroad after opening in several more major foreign markets including Korea, Russia and China. That raises the global weekend total to about $269 million and the movie's total global take so far to $428 million.

The latest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe entered theaters with high expectations. When the original was released in 2014, it was a relatively unknown property that managed to smash records for the month of August when it opened to more than $94 million domestically (still modest by Disney/Marvel standards). But word-of-mouth kept building, and by the end of its theatrical run, it had raked in $333 million domestically and $440 million overseas.

Now the rag-tag group of heroes has entered the public consciousness. ”Guardians 2" was struck with the double-edged sword of familiarity — the original spawned a fondness and a fandom for the characters and their world (that led to a much larger opening for the second installment), but a sequel is hard-pressed to recreate or recapture the same type of surprise and enthusiasm that struck audiences in 2014.

There isn't much of note at the box office this weekend apart from ”Guardians." Universal's ”Fate of the Furious" cruised into second with $8.5 million at 3,595 theaters. The film now has over $207 million at the domestic box office. ”The Boss Baby," from Fox, took third with $6.2 million from 3,284 locations. Pantelion's ”How to be a Latin Lover," which seduced its way past ”The Circle" last weekend to post strong numbers and a second place finish, slides into fourth with $5.3 million from only 1,203 spots. And Disney's other box office animal ”Beauty and the Beast," rounds out the top five with $5 million at 2,680 locations — the movie is now in its eighth weekend of release.

In limited launch, the Orchard's ”The Dinner" made $669,000 from 509 locations. The new release is a thriller toplined by Richard Gere and Laura Linney, adapted from the Dutch novel of same name by Herman Koch about two couples with family issues. ”3 Generations" got a six-theater limited release from the Weinstein Company, and made $20,000. The drama about identity and acceptance stars Naomi Watts, Susan Sarandon, and Elle Fanning as a transgender teen.

Get used to seeing ”Guardians 2" on top. The big-budget superhero flick should coast past Warner Bros.' ”King Arthur: Legend of the Sword" next weekend, and possibly the following frame as well when it will face the long-awaited reboot from Fox, ”Alien: Covenant."

more to come...

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

kswiston

Worldwide Updates

Beauty and the Beast - $1.186B
Fate of the Furious - $1.158B
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $427M

mjc

It's insane that FF8 made $951mil international so far. If it wasn't for that the series would be stagnating just off domestic takes. Wild.

Tobor

Another well deserved win for Marvel and Disney.

Like they said in the Half in the Bag review, all they do is keep making enjoyable movies. Now on to Thor Ragnarok!

From the other thread:

GotG 2: 88,793,000 over Saturday and Sunday
BvS: 84,448,882 over Saturday and Sunday

Pretty much goiang the opposite direction of BvS. BvS OD/previews was 25M more and then failed to hold ground.

And BvS was on a holiday weekend too, wasn't it?

BvS had a bigger overseas opening weekend though, but not all the same territories opened to fairly compare that though.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&id=superman2015.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&id=marvel17a.htm

BvS opening in 41 territories, GotG2 in 34.

UK opened bigger for BvS (and on fewer screens), but Australia went bigger for GotG2.

Now to watch legs everywhere.

J_Viper

That's a well deserved win for Guardians. Great movie.

It's insane that FF8 made $951mil international so far. If it wasn't for that the series would be stagnating just off domestic takes. Wild.

Is this the first time the international box office saved an actual good movie?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
That's a well deserved win for Guardians. Great movie.

Is this the first time the international China box office saved an actual good movie?

Well there was Warcraft, I thought it was good for what it was

3N16MA

Banned
From the other thread:

BvS had a bigger overseas opening weekend though, but not all the same territories opened to fairly compare that though.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&id=superman2015.htm

UK opened bigger for BvS (and on fewer screens), but Australia went bigger for GotG2.

I think some people could have been on March/Spring break.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Baahubali fans all coordinated to see it last week, I suppose.

Well yeah...

Us Desis are first week supporters, if we can't make it to a showing the first week, then it's jadooTV or BTV box and the CAM print to stream

From the other thread:

GOTG2 was a special case in Australia and opened on a public holiday (it also released on a Monday instead of a Thursday like usual here).

Outside of the really big films like the avengers Australia doesn't seem to go for marvel movies as much as the US. Comparatively the DC movies perform quite well in Australia.

As an example suicide squad came out ahead of civil war with BvS not that far behind (deadpool easily wiped the floor with all of them though).

Also some of box office mojos numbers remain fucked up for the Australian box office this year and I assume it won't be fixed. For example king has grossed exactly 10 million and its week grosses are all messed up. There are some other significant mistakes as well. Makes me wonder if there are other mistakes on box office mojo. I contacted them a few times to let them know, at first they actually fixed a few mistakes but now they've just been left there.

Kinda makes it hard to follow the Australian box office as you have to take their numbers with a grain of salt and there are no other alternatives that I can find.

Sean C

I honestly thought GOTG2 would be a bit bigger than that, just because of how popular the first was (and that has seemed to be continuing to grow). But by any measure, it's an excellent result.

Fast and the Furious's international takings are staggering in comparison to the domestic one.

BatB is still number 5?

Fate kinda bombed domestically...shocking.

Fate didn't bomb in any way. It didn't perform as well as 7 did, which we're now seeing is a bit of an outlier. But it's not a bomb.

I do think the problem is that so long as the series stays tied to Vin Diesel, diminishing returns are gonna start setting in. The series blew up because they kept adding fresh faces to it and making it sillier & more fun.

Anchoring it around Vin's grumbly/mumbly and vaguely unpleasant personality is gonna start hurting it, especially when almost every other person in those movies is more fun to be around as a viewer.

The spinoff with Rock & Statham is what I'm keeping an eye on.

Why do we need anybody to play groot? He says only one word, and his voice is synthesized beyond recognition.

I don't know man, but Vin voiced the titular Iron Giant under the same circumstances and I think his delivery added a lot to the character. It's one of those things you take for granted until it's gone.

Litan

Fate didn't bomb in any way. It didn't perform as well as 7 did, which we're now seeing is a bit of an outlier. But it's not a bomb.

I do think the problem is that so long as the series stays tied to Vin Diesel, diminishing returns are gonna start setting in. The series blew up because they kept adding fresh faces to it and making it sillier & more fun.

Anchoring it around Vin's grumbly/mumbly and vaguely unpleasant personality is gonna start hurting it, especially when almost every other person in those movies is more fun to be around as a viewer.

The spinoff with Rock & Statham is what I'm keeping an eye on.
Geez...no wonder Diesel got into it with The Rock. He saw what was coming. And yeah, Bryan not being around anymore leaves Dom in a weird place when it comes to the Group. I don't think they're going to find someone to fill that hole.

Ridley327

I'm surprised Guardians cost less than FoTF.

Those on-location shoots and all those cars they smash up add up real fast. It's the same reason for Bond films costing as much as they do, despite also not featuring super extensive CG work like a superhero film does.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Well deserved. My favorite movie since the first one.

kswiston

Oh, I don't expect it to, I was just asking out of mathematical curiosity.

Guardians is now out everywhere, except Japan (which doesnt matter much). It has also been out for two weekends in many of the bigger overseas territories. With only $283M to date, $500M overseas is probably not going to happen. Maybe $450M or so.

Domestically, this weekend puts the domestic total at $325M on the "no legs" end of things and probably $375M on the high end. I would guess $350M for now.

So realistically, $800M is a lot more likely than even $900M. $1B would require this to not act like a comic book sequel at all, and for Europe to suddenly develop an overwhelming urge to repeat watch starting next weekend.

Top Bottom