• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•05-07•17 - Baby Groot & fam show IRL Groot & fam who's Boss

The world demands more Charlie Hunnam.

Between King Arthur and The Lost City of Z there is no shortage there. He's not bad in Arthur either, apparently, it's just the movie being a mess.

Aside from that, and not aimed at quoted post, you guys sure flip-flop a lot between "star power don't matter" and "this star is now totally unbankable because flop". You can't do that if 'star power' is irrelevant, it's just luck. (a leads to b also means b leads to a, so saying 'bankable' means star power is relevant again somehow). Also, if you look up actors on imdb, you'll find that everyone, even Charlton Heston, has a history of wins AND duds. (edit: Charlton, not Charles. :( )

edit: also, on Aladdin, the "sand and sandals" genre is presumed to be quite dead at this point, so that one will have to wing it on being a Disney remake, not on what it actually is.

J_Viper

I'm curious if Arthur bombing affects his involvement in Aladdin.

I mean, Favreu's last work before Jungle Book was Cowboys & Aliens. Iron Man 2 is also a dumpster fire of a movie, but it made money at least.

If Ritchie is kicked off Aladdin, then WB has a director for SS2

Slayven

After the jungle book and BATB, Aladdin and The Lion King should make insane money. Kswis will have to buy a TI-81 to do the math

mreddie

I'm curious if Arthur bombing affects his involvement in Aladdin.

I mean, Favreu's last work before Jungle Book was Cowboys & Aliens. Iron Man 2 is also a dumpster fire of a movie, but it made money at least.

If Ritchie is kicked off Aladdin, then WB has a director for SS2

Faveau aced Book though, plus, he did Chef which was underlooked but praised,

Ritchie has had a spottier track record over Fav.

Jungle Book was mediocre as hell.

Id rather they just tell Ritchie to make a cockney take on Aladdin than give it to somebody like Favreau or the beauty and the Beast guy. Hiring some arab teen from London for the role would rock as well. It would be a nice twist on Aladdin that would make sense considering he's a streetwise thief, and would keep the movie from feeling redundant like these disney remakes so often do

They have a good thing going here, I hope they follow through. King Arthur could have been fantastic if it wasn't a mish-mash of ideas and tone and stuck to those snatch-esque moments we saw momentarily

J_Viper

Jungle Book is fucking garbage and there's no possible way King Arthur could be any worse, but it did make a ton of money, so Fav and Disney knew what they were doing with that one.

And Chef is alright, yeah. And Iron Man is still in the upper echelon of comic flicks, so Fav will always get a pass from me.

This is a thing I didn't know I wanted until now. Ritchie would be perfect for Suicide Squad.

There's actually a recent interview floating around where he claimed to be interested in the project, but was too busy with future commitments, which I'm guessing included Aladdin

Lemme try to track that interview down

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/...e-king-arthur-legend-of-the-sword-1202410742/

Speaking to Variety, the Snatch director explained: ”I quite fancy doing Suicide Squad 2, because I thought I could do a good job with it. I can't do it because I'm doing something else, but I've felt I could really do something with that."

I'm gonna laugh if Riz Ahmed gets cast as Aladdin.
Hey, that actually sounds like great casting

This is random as fuck, but I think he would have made a great Spider-Man.

This is a thing I didn't know I wanted until now. Ritchie would be perfect for Suicide Squad.
If WB just got the fuck outta the way and let him go full Ritchie, he would make a killer Suicide Squad film. Just let him overindulge in his worst/best tendencies.

Then get the John Wick guys to make a Deathstroke film.

I'm gonna laugh if Riz Ahmed gets cast as Aladdin.

for a moment I thought you meant Aziz Ansari (different person, I know) and figured 'nah, his first wish would be the logical wish to make: "I don't give a shit about your three wishes, just make me white!" .. *poof* donzo!'. I mean, in today's world, that really should be the first thing you wish for. It's like a golden ticket where you get to pretend it doesn't exist.

It would be weird if they didn't work that in in some way though. I know Disney is super safe and all, but this isn't 1993 anymore, so everyone would notice that right of the bat, I hope. They do at least seem to care about acknowledging it, even it is just for market reasons.

Lima

Is Alien Covenant not being released in 3D? Just took a look at the show times for my theater next week and it is only listed as a 2D release.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is the Guy Ritchie-est Guy Ritchie to ever Guy Ritchie and I really enjoyed it for that, but I really don't think I want the same ADHD approach taken to Aladdin. Either reel him in a little bit or take him off the project.

Saturday updated from Rth

Quick stop Sat
GOTG2 27.6,Snatch 6.5,KA 5.5,FF8 2.2

Great Saturday for Guardians 2. At a minimum it will do $61M for the weekend, and with its strong female appeal for an MCU film, it could reach $65M with a Mother's Day boost.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - $63M (-57%) - $246M total
2) Snatched - $17.5M
3) King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $14.7M (probably an overestimate)
4) Fate of the Furious - $5.3M - $215M total
5) The Boss Baby - $4.6M - $162M total
6) Beauty and the Beast - $3.9M - $493M total

Worldwide Updates

Beauty and the Beast - $1.206B
Fate of the Furious - $1.1193B
Guardians of the Galaxy - $631M
King Arthur - $44M

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - $63M (-57%) - $246M total
2) Snatched - $17.5M
3) King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $14.7M (probably an overestimate)
4) Fate of the Furious - $5.3M - $215M total
5) The Boss Baby - $4.6M - $162M total
6) Beauty and the Beast - $3.9M - $493M total

Worldwide Updates

Beauty and the Beast - $1.206B
Fate of the Furious - $1.1193B
Guardians of the Galaxy - $631M

Holy. Shit.

$14 million OW on a $175 million budget. That likely means sub-$30 domestic total

kswiston

Disney is projecting a 38% Mother's Day drop for BatB for some reason. Fox has the Boss Baby dropping 20%. As such, there may be some flip-flopping going on with the actuals.

Fox is also going all in on Snatched being the Mother's Day choice of the year with a projected 6% drop. I'm not sure if I see it, but who knows. I am not a mother/daughter.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Hold up

WB really signed off on giving a $200 mil budget to BR2049? $200 mil for an R-Rated sequel to a movie that flopped in theaters 30 years ago?

I got a bad feeling about this, bubba

Ridley327

Monster Trucks

And despite Trokil's objections, GITS was definitely a big flop, too.

Of course, it's not a fair comparison since most of Paramount's stuff these days are big flops while Warner Bros, can shoulder flops better since they're exceptions, but it's still funny to see how the crown for the biggest flop is continually being passed around.

pestul

Hold up

WB really signed off on giving a $200 mil budget to BR2049? $200 mil for an R-Rated sequel to a movie that flopped in theaters 30 years ago?

It's not 100% confirmed, but some industry insiders have said that it was really expensive. And with Alcon's reputation, it's probably true.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's not 100% confirmed, but some industry insiders have said that it was really expensive. And with Alcon's reputation, it's probably true.
Unless Blade Runner's fanbase became way more massive than any of us realized, I can't imagine this makes a profit.

Came in here to see if people were just deciding to continue BO talk in last week's thread in protest of this week's terrible thread title.

RIP Power Rangers :( I loved that movie so much. I'm definitely buying the Blu-Ray.

Really hoping that magic happens and Netflix decides to fund a direct-to-streaming sequel.

Ridley327

How is Alcon still in business? They seem to overspend on everything, and the last time they had a big hit was The Blind Side, which came out in 2009.

Holy shit at King Arthur. Gonna make even less money than the previous Arthur bomba that was released 13 years ago.
Don't they realize that no one gives shit about Arthur movies. Just make low budget for TV movie if needed in England. Seriously.

jett

D-Member
Hold up

Blade Runner is an Alcon movie, I don't think WB is doing anything other than distributing. I severely doubt they wasted 200M on BR anyway.

Ridley327

Don't they realize that no one gives shit about Arthur movies. Just make low budget for TV movie if needed in England. Seriously.

Even TV doesn't seem like that great a place for it, especially after how big a failure Camelot was on Showtime. Then again, maybe it's just a matter of these projects not being that good to begin with, rather than it being an issue with the source material. The last time I can think of a great take on the Arthurian legends was Excalibur, and that's not too terribly far off from its 40th anniversary.

Top Bottom