• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•05-07•17 - Baby Groot & fam show IRL Groot & fam who's Boss

kswiston

For the new page:

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 - $16.4M - $199.6M total
2) King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $5.3M
3) Snatched - $5.0M
4) Fate of the Furious - $1.4M - $211M total
5) The Boss Baby - $965k - $159M total
6) Beauty and the Beast - $960k - $490M total

- GOTG2 is going to get a similar second weekend drop to Civil War and Age of Ultron
- King Arthur won't even hit $15M opening weekend

Kusagari

I wonder how much they spent on marketing alone for King Arthur.

I feel like I was seeing advertisements for it for 2 fucking years.

There are a million possible embarrassing comparisons to make, but here's one: this iteration will open to less than the King Arthur film in 2004 (also a flop) despite that film having a Wednesday opening.

Slayven

For the new page:

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 - $16.4M - $199.6M total
2) King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - $5.3M
3) Snatched - $5.0M
4) Fate of the Furious - $1.4M - $211M total
5) The Boss Baby - $965k - $159M total
6) Beauty and the Beast - $960k - $490M total

- GOTG2 is going to get a similar second weekend drop to Civil War and Age of Ultron
- King Arthur won't even hit $15M opening weekend
Word of mouth must be strong on GOTG2
I wonder how much they spent on marketing alone for King Arthur.

I feel like I was seeing advertisements for it for 2 fucking years.
THey want to make 6 more of them, 6 more

kswiston

King Arthur only managed to make $6.8M overseas yesterday from nearly 20k screens. Including Wed/Thurs earnings, the worldwide total is only $17M.

The film has a few major openings left (including the UK and France), but overseas grosses are going to be pretty terrible as well.

This film is going to lose over $100M for WB.

WB probably will force Guy Ritchie to do a project that will actually make them money, like Sherlock 3. I'm curious whether King Arthur bombing will have an impact on him directing Aladdin.

Re: Guardians 2. The problem with the last 3 MCU May openers has been then failing to stabilize after the 2nd weekend, in particular with regards to Civil War. If a similar fate happens for GotG, the runs for Avengers 3 and 4 will sure be predictable. :p Basically, these films are going to be getting 2.2-2.3 multipliers regardless of reception.

Decado

King Arthur and the bomba in the stone
Not sure what they are expecting. Hollywood has been trying to shovel bad to mediocre pg-13 historical epics and historical fantasy/action films down our throats since the proper historical epic died and 300 was a hit. It worked a grand total of once (maybe twice?).

Kids don't fucking care and adults don't want to watch shitty historical fiction targeted at 12 year olds.

3N16MA

Banned
King Arthur trying to bomb as big as possible and take the crown from the summer favourite, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

pestul

Wtf @ the King Arthur budget / bomb.

I'm most worried about the $200M given to Denis Villeneuve for Blade Runner 2049 and what impact it might have on the budget of his Dune movie. Alcon Entertainment be just burning stacks of cash on films (ie. Point Break). I fear that Blade Runner will be a critical hit and fan favourite, yet still lose a fair bit of money. Heck it's gonna need probably $500M WW to break even unless there's some more creative hollywood accounting going on. I think $400M WW might be a stretch for such a niche genre. Dune needed to have the larger budget. :/

Culex

Banned
So when a studio has losses approaching 100 million, where does that money come from? Is it like one big Ponzi scheme where they keep borrowing for the next film to pay off the losses of the last?

kswiston

Old rumor from Jeff Sneider of The Wrap. Villeneuve also said it's one of the most expensive R-Rated independent films ever.

He wouldn't have to use an "independent film" modifier. The list of $200M R-rated films is damn small. In fact, I can't think of any that officially carries that price tag. Terminator 3 was close.

Ouch.

At this point, I think as low as $13 million is not out of the question, if suffers a Friday to Sunday collapse due to WoM.

I though this was a little too pessismistic last night, but now I think that might be optimistic.

IIRC Sherlock 3 is/was being held up by WB and Joel Silver's falling out.

kswiston

Fate of the Furious is heading towards a $220-225M finish domestically.

Fast Five ended with $209M and Fast 6 with $238M, so basically right in the middle of those two.

jett

D-Member
Holy shit at King Arthur. Gonna make even less money than the previous Arthur bomba that was released 13 years ago.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It will not be. Friday overseas was less than $7M from 51 markets, including China.

King Arthur needed at least $350M worldwide to be "saved". I can't see it doing half of that.

Wow. In a world where Underworld and Resident Evil made it due to the international market, I was expecting King Arthur to just barely squeak through. I hope this doesn't bode bad for Aladdin :(

Ridley327

Wow. In a world where Underworld and Resident Evil made it due to the international market, I was expecting King Arthur to just barely squeak through. I hope this doesn't bode bad for Aladdin :(

The film is going to get made no matter what. Whether it gets made with Guy Ritchie at the helm is the question.

Top Bottom