• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•05-07•17 - Baby Groot & fam show IRL Groot & fam who's Boss

kswiston

Boxoffice.com is basically agreeing with what people are saying here and putting King Arthur at $17.9M this weekend.

They have GotG at $61M (which is on the conservative side) and Snatched at $18M.

GOTG2 deserves all the success. It had some of the best emotional moments in the MCU and great character development. It definitely had its rough moments, but it had really high highs.

How I know a movie is going to bomb: they send me a push notification to let me know.
Dip1Qb3.jpg

Deadline and Hollywood Reporter are saying that Wonder Woman is tracking towards a $65M opening in the US/Canada.

In terms of a female led superhero movie, the only comparable we will have after that is Captain Marvel, right?

But that won't really be a comparison seeing as how it will release in a completely different window.

Guardians 2 dropped ~39% to $7.4M yesterday. It's a steeper decline than I expected, even accounting for how strong Tuesday is for the box office in general. To have a stronger second weekend hold than most other Marvel films, Guardians will need a very strong increase on Friday. The WW total is $501.7M.

Edit: Currently, Snatched is at 11% of sales on movietickets, while King Arthur is at 4%. Mother's Day is certainly having an effect on Snatched, and will likely lead to it topping King Arthur this weekend.

kswiston

Guardians 2 dropped ~39% to $7.4M yesterday. It's a steeper decline than I expected, even accounting for how strong Tuesday is for the box office in general. To have a stronger second weekend hold than most other Marvel films, Guardians will need a very strong increase on Friday. The WW total is $501.7M.

Edit: Currently, Snatched is at 11% of sales on movietickets, while King Arthur is at 4%. Mother's Day is certainly having an effect on Snatched, and will likely lead to it topping King Arthur this weekend.

Looks like Guardians will finish the week with $183M, which is a bit lower than I expected. I guess the target now is going to be $245M domestic after the weekend.

Looking at China, GotG 2 is expected to drop more than 80% this weekend. On the other hand, Dangal is blowing up.

On their opening days, GotG2 made 100M RMB and Dangal made 16M RMB.

Second Friday projections are 18M RMB for GotG2 and 45M RMB for Dangal.

Power Rangers is expected to have an opening day of 16.5M RMB ($2.4M USD) and King Arthur is expected to have an opening day of 10.5M RMB ($1.5M USD) in China.

Schlorgan

Box Office Pro has WW at $83m opening/$225m dom total and The Last Knight at $79m opening/$195m dom total.

Paramount really taking the L's this year.

Lima

Box Office Pro has WW at $83m opening/$225m dom total and The Last Knight at $79m opening/$195m dom total.

Paramount really taking the L's this year.

And Transformers likely won't even reach a billion this time due to the poor exchange rates.

Schlorgan

And Transformers likely won't even reach a billion this time due to the poor exchange rates.

They predict Baywatch to get $115m domestic, which may end up being Paramount's best budget-to-gross ratio of the year.

Edit: unless they gave Baywatch way too much of a budget (anything over $50m).

How I know a movie is going to bomb: they send me a push notification to let me know.
Dip1Qb3.jpg

Insane budget. Should have been about 40% of that. I really don't think most of the world cares much about King Arthur and Guy Ritchie has had more flubs in his filmmaking career than successes. Seems like a really big risk to sign off on this with such a huge budget, and Charlie Hunnam isn't well known enough to draw in crowds.

So are we expecting it to beat Ghost in the Shell as the biggest bomb this year?

Surely Monster Trucks is still the biggest bomb this year?

Lima

I wonder why that was.

Did Batman and Robin really do that much damage to the brand? Was it the darker tone?

I'd say a combination of the damage to the brand by B&R, the darker more serious tone, at that point in time a largely unproven director as far as blockbusters go and there you go.

Opening weekend was rather disappointing but legs were strong because of the great word of mouth and reviews. As it should be. Still the best Nolan Batman film. My man Ebert knew this.

Lima

Insane budget. Should have been about 40% of that. I really don't think most of the world cares much about King Arthur and Guy Ritchie has had more flubs in his filmmaking career than successes. Seems like a really big risk to sign off on this with such a huge budget, and Charlie Hunnam isn't well known enough to draw in crowds.

Sounds like classic Warnee Brothers for me. I love them for it. No other studio takes such risks anymore.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Sounds like classic Warnee Brothers for me. I love them for it. No other studio takes such risks anymore.

Well, there's nout queer as folk. Shame the sons are too anarchic to go and see the film. It'd be on Green Street if they had.

<Insert Pacific Rim reference here>

1Now that theater counts are out, in lieu of a long rundown like I did last week, I thought I'd make a top 10 predictions with just a few notes

Code:
1.  Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2    $64.4M   -56.0%
2.  Snatched                         $20.7M
3.  King Arthur                      $20.0M
4.  Fate of the Furious               $4.9M   -42.8%
5.  Boss Baby                         $4.2M   -29.6%
6.  Beauty and the Beast              $4.1M   -19.4%
7.  How to be a Latin Lover           $3.3M   -35.8%
8.  Baahubali 2: The Conclusion       $2.0M   -41.0%
9.  The Circle                        $1.6M   -57.1%
10. The Wall                          $1.5M

• I'm giving Guardians 2 a slightly better drop than other Marvel films with the same release. It had a bigger Sunday decline than Iron Man 3 or Civil War or Age of Ultron, which is an indication that the Friday increase could be better.
  • Snatched is currently ahead of King Arthur on movietickets.com 13% to 7%, which pretty much excludes any possibility of the latter breaking out (shocker!). In the end, I expect Mother's Day to give the edge to Snatched over the weekend.
  • With no $140M+ opener this weekend, most films should experience significantly better declines than last week, the sole exception being The Circle, which will have the largest theater count decline (-1,031). Beauty and the Beast will likely benefit the most from Mother's Day, and I'm anticipating a rare increase on Sunday.
  • The Wall, releasing in 541 theaters, is a total wildcard. The youtube trailer views are pretty high, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm relatively quite wrong here, but Amazon Studios has yet to have a release open over $1.2M.

kswiston

Sylvester Stallone and Jackie Chan will costar in an $80M Chinese production called Ex-Baghdad. Scott Waugh is directing.

Sounds like another film that will make $20-30M domestically and over $100M in China.

Top Bottom