• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•05-07•17 - Baby Groot & fam show IRL Groot & fam who's Boss

So it's fairly safe to call no $1B MCU films not featuring Iron Man through the end of this decade. I wonder if any non-Iron Man superhero film will hit that mark. It will likely depend on exchange rates. Seems unlikely for now.

I'd say possibilities are Deadpool 2 if it gets a China release, Spider-Man Homecoming's sequel if the first is good and they find a hook, and Batman (more than JL). For MCU movies, Thor is the last big opportunity of the decade, I guess. Maybe there's a third 2019 release I'm forgetting.

BATB is starting to perform like the first Hunger Games, which stabilized and ended up having a series of 20-30% declines throughout the whole summer. It should be able to get to $500M before a second-run theater expansion even happen. I'd say a total around $505M looks good.

I'd say possibilities are Deadpool 2 if it gets a China release, Spider-Man Homecoming's sequel if the first is good and they find a hook, and Batman (more than JL). For MCU movies, Thor is the last big opportunity of the decade, I guess. Maybe there's a third 2019 release I'm forgetting.
The Incredibles 2, if I wanted to be pedantic. :p

kswiston

I see Deadpool 2 dropping from the first. If China gets a release, it wouldn't be enough of a boost to get it anywhere near $1B.

I forgot that the Spider-Man Homecoming sequel was in 2019. I was thinking 2020 for some reason.

The Incredibles 2, if I wanted to be pedantic. :p

After Dory, I very much doubt it. Maybe if currencies have a major rebound by next summer. Toy Story 3 would have been somewhere around $925M with current exchange rates as well.

Prompto

Banned
I see Deadpool 2 dropping from the first. If China gets a release, it wouldn't be enough of a boost to get it anywhere near $1B.

I forgot that the Spider-Man Homecoming sequel was in 2019. I was thinking 2020 for some reason.
I don't see Deadpool dropping domestically. Just that little short they released a little while back got a ton of views. Only thing is the Han Solo film releasing the week before might hurt it but who knows.

BumRush

I don't see Deadpool dropping domestically. Just that little short they released a little while back got a ton of views. Only thing is the Han Solo film releasing the week before might hurt it but who knows.

Han film is probably also going to play to the "humor in my action film" crowd, so despite them being rated differently, the audiences will overlap a ton

After Dory, I very much doubt it. Maybe if currencies have a major rebound by next summer. Toy Story 3 would have been somewhere around $925M with current exchange rates as well.
I'm looking at the release schedule for that summer and...

• Untitled Han Solo Star Wars Anthology Film (BV) - 5/25
• Deadpool 2 (Fox) - 6/1
• Ocean's 8 (WB) - 6/8
• Transformers 6 (Par.) - 6/8
• The Incredibles 2 (BV) - 6/15
• Jurassic World Sequel (Uni.) - 6/22

What the hell? Deadpool 2 I would assume is eventually going to move if the Han Solo film stays in May, but still.

I'm not sure Deadpool 2 significantly out grosses the first

I'm looking at the release schedule for that summer and...

• Untitled Han Solo Star Wars Anthology Film (BV) - 5/25
• Deadpool 2 (Fox) - 6/1
• Ocean's 8 (WB) - 6/8
• Transformers 6 (Par.) - 6/8
• The Incredibles 2 (BV) - 6/15
• Jurassic World Sequel (Uni.) - 6/22

What the hell? Deadpool 2 I would assume is eventually going to move if the Han Solo film stays in May, but still.

Okay, what's the record for consecutive weeks with a 75 million plus opener? Also, of that slate I would think Oceans would move, but then again being female-centered they may be positioning it like Bridesmaids?

kswiston

Okay, what's the record for consecutive weeks with a 75 million plus opener? Also, of that slate I would think Oceans would move, but then again being female-centered they may be positioning it like Bridesmaids?

Transformers 6 is actually the Bumblebee spin off. I doubt that opens over $75M domestic given where the main series is domestically.

I think just as the last few years have tested (and proven) the notion that films have to be released in "seasons" in order to succeed, we're going to find out that movies "getting bites taken out" by other movies isn't as pronounced as we're thinking.

That the competition might actually prolong these films' box-office life, as the wealth of new films all at the multiplex makes the multiplex more inviting a destination, not less. Which would lead to more tickets being sold.

Maybe.

We'll see.

I know the budget for both movies was similar, but while I think GOTG 1 was a better movie proper, holy shitsnacks does the 2nd one just crush it visually

Lima

I know the budget for both movies was similar, but while I think GOTG 1 was a better movie proper, holy shitsnacks does the 2nd one just crush it visually

The new cameras doing work.

This was the first Marvel movie that actually looked like a movie.

kswiston

Exchange and inflation rates.

And reliable statistics before 1985

They also don't track international weekends on a movie by movie basis for some reason.

If I want to look up what Jurassic World made overseas on its fifth weekend, I have to go searching through old threads, and even then we usually only have the estimates on hand.

EDIT: Also, their method of converting international takes to USD is completely backwards.

The new cameras doing work.

This was the first Marvel movie that actually looked like a movie.

I thought Civil War looked alright, but this one definitely has blown the doors off. I can't wait to see how Ragnarok goes in visually too

kswiston

The last round of cuts got Alien Covenant past Chinese Censorship. Fourth or fifth time is the charm!

It will probably come out in June there.

BumRush

They also don't track international weekends on a movie by movie basis for some reason.

If I want to look up what Jurassic World made overseas on its fifth weekend, I have to go searching through old threads, and even then we usually only have the estimates on hand.

EDIT: Also, their method of converting international takes to USD is completely backwards.

How do they convert?

Also, what do you mean you can't see the weekend foreign totals?

Maybe I'm not clear on what you mean, but is this not it? http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2015W28&id=jurassicpark4.htm

Also, http://www.insidekino.com/BO/WWTopI2017.htm is my go-to site when I want to find international box office in local currency and international weekend charts. BOM's international page has been kind of fucked since around 2014.

kswiston

Maybe I'm not clear on what you mean, but is this not it? http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2015W28&id=jurassicpark4.htm

Also, http://www.insidekino.com/BO/WWTopI2017.htm is my go-to site when I want to find international box office in local currency and international weekend charts. BOM's international page has been kind of fucked since around 2014.

Somehow I have managed to go 15 years without noticing the by weekend option in the foreign tab :/

Thanks for the other link. I will bookmark it and check it out later.

How do they convert?

Also, what do you mean you can't see the weekend foreign totals?

They readjust the entire total every week, instead of adding up the USD weekends/weekly grosses to get a total.

Here's the Force Awakens in the UK at the end of May 2016: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2016W22&id=starwars7.htm

Here's the Force Awakens in the UK after a very limited re-release at the end of August 2016: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2016W35&id=starwars7.htm

So based on their method, the film magically lost close to $20M in the UK because the exchange rates were difference. The messed up total is what shows up when you look at the foreign page for TFA by country.

The May total was already messed up for the same reason.

I noticed today when I went to see GotG that Cinemark is charging less for tickets right now. I paid 3.99 per ticket. Has that had any real effect on domestic box office since they've been doing that?

BumRush

Somehow I have managed to go 15 years without noticing the by weekend option in the foreign tab :/

Thanks for the other link. I will bookmark it and check it out later.

They readjust the entire total every week, instead of adding up the USD weekends/weekly grosses to get a total.

Here's the Force Awakens in the UK at the end of May 2016: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2016W22&id=starwars7.htm

Here's the Force Awakens in the UK after a very limited re-release at the end of August 2016: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2016W35&id=starwars7.htm

So based on their method, the film magically lost close to $20M in the UK because the exchange rates were difference. The messed up total is what shows up when you look at the foreign page for TFA by country.

The May total was already messed up for the same reason.

Thanks for pointing that out. Very strange

- J - D -

Get Out ending its theatrical run at $175 mil would be a pretty amazing accomplishment.

I'm kinda surprised the domestic numbers for Fate is "only" at slightly above $200mil.

Top Bottom