• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 05•05-07•17 - Baby Groot & fam show IRL Groot & fam who's Boss

Jurassic World 2 would have to crater to miss $1B. Unlike a lot of stuff in the years before it, Jurassic World released when exchange rates were already fairly bad.

I didn't know if JW was one that would been affected by exchange rates or not, so yeah, it should easily be a lock then, even with a likely drop.

So did exchange rates mostly level out at some point? Is there some kind of definable cut-off point for that?

Also, Fantastic Beasts 2 will probably drop the Potter average some, unless the Dumbledore stuff is a huge boost.

Yeah, FB1 already dropped the average a good bit on its own. I think FB2 will do better, but it would still shave off a little bit.

As for your second edit, a lot of film franchises are low on that list because the editors are including random stuff. Transformers includes the 80s Cartoon that made like $5M. The Bayformers average is $943M.

lol, I saw that one too. I get what they're doing but like... Come on. They're licensed from the same IP, but that shit ain't the same franchise haha.

EDIT: That wiki page reminds me of how terrible Guinness Book of Records' Top 10 films adjusted for worldwide inflation list is. You'd think that something like that would be more consistent.
I mean, it could be worse. Could be whatever the fuck they pass off as records for the Gamer's edition.

Speaking of Avatar, let's see from Sam Worthington is up to in 2017 A.D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO2Rnh21oeE

"The visionary director of Terminator 3".......

That same director made U-571, which I still love. The last half is so tense, and one helluva workout for a home theater system.

And Breakdown is a damn good thriller. So simple and lean. While the last five minutes or so went a tad over the top, I liked how small the film was overall. And hey, it's Kurt Russell as an everyman in it.

kswiston

I didn't know if JW was one that would been affected by exchange rates or not, so yeah, it should easily be a lock then, even with a likely drop.

So did exchange rates mostly level out at some point? Is there some kind of definable cut-off point for that?

Jurassic World loses about $50M in currency exchange (a lot of it in China). So about 3% of the WW gross lost, as opposed to over 20% from some films a few years back.

The drops started in late 2014, and progressed through 2015 and 2016. Some periods were worse than others. I think that Asia generally started later than Europe. At least China did. Age of Ultron loses $90M, Furious 7 loses $100M, and The Force Awakens loses a bit more than $20M for instance.

Keep in mind that all of those were huge grossers too. If we go back to 2011/2012, Deathly Hallows 2 drops by $260M, On Stranger Tides drops by around $220M, Avengers drops by $200M, and Dark of the Moon drops by around $160M.

EDIT: Avatar Loses $435M at current exchanges. That was one of my arguments against TFA having any shot at the WW title, back in the Fall 2015 prediction threads.

lol, I saw that one too. I get what they're doing but like... Come on. They're licensed from the same IP, but that shit ain't the same franchise haha.

Including the Twilight/New Moon double feature as an additional Twilight film was even worse. I am surprised they didn't count half of the gross from that Spider-Man/Men In Black 2 double feature against the Spider-Man franchise.

The funniest inclusion on that wikipedia list might be Return of the Caped Crusaders and its $57k box office.

Anyway, I'm not feeling either opener this week, thinking low 20s for King Arthur and about $16M for Snatched. I may just be out of touch when it comes to the latter; the youtube analytics are so skewed by trolls that I'm going with my gut feeling more than usual.

But Spider-Man Homecoming 2 will be completely divorced from the MCU if Rothman has his way, right? I also think it's going to be interesting to see how MCU films perform post-Avengers 4 if that ends up being the last hurrah for Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc. It may be the last $1B grosser for the franchise for quite some time.

People are taking Amy's words way too seriously there, I think. All it really means is that it's up for renegotiation then.

Well, that and I'm still of the opinion that that Venom movie never comes out.

ZeoVGM

Banned
People are taking Amy's words way too seriously there, I think. All it really means is that it's up for renegotiation then.

Seriously. All she meant was that, as of now, the contract only covers up to Homecoming 2. Of course they'll extend the contract if this works out for them. (If Sony Pictures is even still a thing.)

Well, that and I'm still of the opinion that that Venom movie never comes out.

This too. I've been saying this forever. That damn thing is never happening.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well I was wrong, it wasn't the streams by those boxes of showing CAM prints of Bahubali 2 on week 2 and Desi's bypassing the theatre

There's 720p DVD Screeners floating around already!

So yeah, movie is gonna get pirated to hell and back now

Still amazing it made $10 mil as a Tollywood film and came in #3 at the American Box Office

My moms got tickets for Saturday, wants to see it on big screen

Pachimari

So GotG2's at $427 million, and $145 million in the US, is that a good number for the US? And how much has it earned overseas?

So GotG2's at $427 million, and $145 million in the US, is that a good number for the US? And how much has it earned overseas?
If it's at $427M WW and $145M came from the USA, so how much did came from overseas?

latest

That's right, $278M!

GotG2's got some competition coming up with King Arthur, Alien Covenant and Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 all coming out in the next few weeks and the movie has been out for two weeks in most of the world.
As people have mentioned in this thread before, 1B$ is out of the picture.

DeathyBoy

Banned
If it's at $427M WW and $145M came from the USA, so how much did came from overseas?

latest

That's right, $278M!

GotG2's got some competition coming up with King Arthur, Alien Covenant and Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 all coming out in the next few weeks and the movie has been out for two weeks in most of the world.

Only POTC is direct competition. King Arthur is no threat,and AC is a different audience entirely

Pachimari

latest

That's right, $278M!

Fuck me, I just woke up. Time for some coffee!

Finally saw Fate of the Furious yesterday, despite seeing all the others at midnight/7pm preview.

Other than no Brian I think I liked it more than 6&7.
Jason Statham and the Rock were clearly the best part.

Man commercials and previews were horrendous for it though, just completely turned me off.

Sulik2

Does Disney's decision to not have a simultaneous global release hurt its box office on marvel movies? I can't help but think they are losing out on the marketing of a big opening weekend global number. What is the rationale for the staggered release?

BumRush

I wonder how much profit Disney has made since acquiring Marvel. I know​ it's impossible to get an accurate figure but would it be safe to assume that they're generating $200M in profit for each MCU film, on average, when you add in DVD/Blu/VOD/Other merch? Higher? Lower?

Does Disney's decision to not have a simultaneous global release hurt its box office on marvel movies? I can't help but think they are losing out on the marketing of a big opening weekend global number. What is the rationale for the staggered release?
May 1st is an holiday all over Europe so they probably wanted to have it out on that 3 day weekend. I don't think it hurt them as it has been having a better opening from the USA than it did from the rest of the world.

latest

That's right, $278M!

And Wonder Woman maybe? Much closer to the same demographic than any of those three, at least with Alien and King Arthur anyway

y2dvd

latest

That's right, $278M!

Effing LOL!

Schlorgan

Sesame-Street-5.png

You mean Pirates of the Caribbean 5?

BumRush

My wife (who is a huge Disney fan) didn't even know it existed until I referred to Dead Men Tell No Tales as PotC 5.

I understand forgetting about it (as it was pretty forgettable) but she is a huge Disney fan and didn't even know it existed? It was marketed heavily a few years back.

Slayven

I wonder how much profit Disney has made since acquiring Marvel. I know​ it's impossible to get an accurate figure but would it be safe to assume that they're generating $200M in profit for each MCU film, on average, when you add in DVD/Blu/VOD/Other merch? Higher? Lower?

Disney brought Marvel for 5 billion dollars. They made that back a long time ago.

Was POTC 4 really that forgettable?
Mermaid scene was the only memorable part imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-TsSCoTxYU

Technically it might be better than 3 but for being the most expensive movie ever it is absolutely missing the unique "epicness" that made the previous so special.
Its literally the most bland and by the book sequel they could have made, and thats from someone who enjoyed it even.

Lone Ranger was more POTC than POTC4 was

Oh my Zod...I have never seen this movie but it looks like Ian McShane is completely wasted, judging solely what I saw in that clip.

Not only that but he plays freaking Blackbeard...
and is completely wasted and forgettable.

Davy Jones isn't a fair comparison but McShane's isn't even 1/100th of Rush's Barbossa in the first.

BumRush

Disney brought Marvel for 5 billion dollars. They made that back a long time ago.

In profit though? I doubt it. From Swiss's other thread on the most profitable films each year, Captain America Civil War - for example - "only" made $193M worth of theater profits. Doctor Strange made $123M.

I know there is all sorts of crazy math in the film industry (and in acquisitions as well), but in pure profit, I don't know if I'd agree with your statement.

I have no idea how Rob Marshall got all that money and made that movie

Its so weird because you can clearly tell its a very budgeted movie compared to the previous 3...
and yet it is the most expensive movie ever.

Like they cut the ship sets, less ship sequences, less cg, filmed less in the Caribbean, cut all secondary cast, etc

Jawmuncher

I half expect this to be the last POTC movie. Though it might do big overseas. At least in the US there seems to be no excitement for it.

Schlorgan

I understand forgetting about it (as it was pretty forgettable) but she is a huge Disney fan and didn't even know it existed? It was marketed heavily a few years back.
She's much more into animated stuff than live -action; she hasn't seen stuff like Tron: Legacy or The Rock yet.

Top Bottom