• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 10•31-11•02•14 - Gyllenhaal, under cover of night, crawls ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

So Nightcrawler is good?

Meant to see it this weekend but stuff kept popping up. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Interstellar - $17.0M - $19M total (with Wed/Thurs sneaks)
2) Big Hero 6 - $15.8M
3) Ouija - $1.9M - $39M total
4) Gone Girl - $1.9M - $141M total
5) Nightcrawler - $1.7M - $16M total

Looks like Interstellar's early tracking was way too high. It should finish #2 this weekend with $50M or so. Family movies have better Saturday increases.

Unless something else surprises in the next 6 weeks, it looks like Guardians will finish in the #2 spot domestically this year.

Lemaitre

Banned
Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Interstellar - $17.0M - $19M total (with Wed/Thurs sneaks)
2) Big Hero 6 - $15.8M
3) Ouija - $1.9M - $39M total
4) Gone Girl - $1.9M - $141M total
5) Nightcrawler - $1.7M - $16M total

Looks like Interstellar's early tracking was way too high. It should finish #2 this weekend with $50M or so. Family movies have better Saturday increases.

Unless something else surprises in the next 6 weeks, it looks like Guardians will finish in the #2 spot domestically this year.

Hunger Games? The Hobbit?

Kart94

Banned
Hunger Games? The Hobbit?

I doubt the Hobbit will beat Guardians. i mean the pervious hobbit film, Smaug was below the first one, and Battle of the five armies is a part 1 finale.

edit: damn it, i mixed it up with the Hunger Game Mockingjay. part 1.

Hobbit might do a little better than expected in that it basically looks like the Lord of the Rings prequel Jackson obviously wanted to make the whole time. So people might come back just to see the fighty fights.

But yeah, I don't see it crossing 300 mil by much.

Not shocked. The theaters was fucking empty last night when we saw it at 9. Including the four of use, there were 15 people in the theater, tops. Combined with the long ass run time and yeah, not shocked it's not taking number one. Wonder what the budget was.

Need to see Big Hero 6. Didn't realize it was out this week. Too focused on Interstellar apparently.

Knoxcore

I could care less about Interstellar's box office performance. The real news this year is Guardians of the Galaxy is going to finish as the number two domestic film of the year when all is set and done (and likely number four worldwide). That's impressive. I wonder if Marvel can do it again next year with Ant-Man. I imagine it won't be as big as Guardians but I'm hoping for 150-200 domestic.

BLACKLAC

I could care less about Interstellar's box office performance. The real news this year is Guardians of the Galaxy is going to finish as the number two domestic film of the year when all is set and done (and likely number four worldwide). That's impressive. I wonder if Marvel can do it again next year with Ant-Man. I imagine it won't be as big as Guardians but I'm hoping for 150-200 domestic.

500m worldwide - 200m domestic minimum is a lock with it coming out a couple of months after AoU.

Neoxon

So assuming BG6 wins this week, would it be because of positive word-of-mouth, Disney's post-Frozen credibility, the Mahvel Hype Train, or a combination of any of these?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So assuming BG6 wins this week, would it be because of positive word-of-mouth, Disney's post-Frozen credibility, the Mahvel Hype Train, or a combination of any of these?

Combination of everything, except I don't think Marvel specifically is playing much of a role. But in terms of bright, fun superhero movies, the market is definitely primed for that.

Slayven

The Marvel tiein is pretty much a sneeze and you will miss it.

mreddie

Both but aside from the MARVEL mention, I imagine people wanted to see another kids movie since the last 2 months, there was nothing.

Neoxon

The Marvel tiein is pretty much a sneeze and you will miss it.
Did you stay through the credits?

Anyway, Disney played up the Marvel angle with the trailer attached to GotG & some of the later ads, so Marvel probably had something to do with the movie's success.

jey_16

Banned
surprised why they would release Interstellar and BH6 at the same time? I know they don't really compete with each other but considering the lack of releases over the past few weeks they could have moved up one of them and give them more space before the Mockingjay hits

mreddie

surprised why they would release Interstellar and BH6 at the same time? I know they don't really compete with each other but considering the lack of releases over the past few weeks they could have moved up one of them and give them more space before the Mockingjay hits

I think they knew if they were gonna complete with or be close to Mockingjay, they would have no chance.

kswiston

Interstellar opening 4 days earlier probably helped too.

Not really. Early Interstellar grosses were only $2.1M. They only released the film early in 250 theatres, so it was more or less a Friday release for most people.

Family movies tend to have a better Saturday boost, so it's anyone's week, honestly.

Big Hero 6 will win the weekend. Notice that pretty much every Box Office analyst has said as much. Mojo is predicting $56M to $50M, Boxoffice.com is predicting $57.5M to $54M, etc.

Slayven

Not really. Early Interstellar grosses were only $2.1M. They only released the film early in 250 theatres, so it was more or less a Friday release for most people.

Big Hero 6 will win the weekend. Notice that pretty much every Box Office analyst has said as much. Mojo is predicting $56M to $50M, Boxoffice.com is predicting $57.5M to $54M, etc.

Never underestimate parents that need 95 minutes of silence.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Big Hero 6 - $56.2M
2) Interstellar - $50.0M - $52M total
3) Gone Girl - $6.1M - $145M total
4) Ouija - $6.0M - $43M total
5) Fury - $5.5M - $69M total

kswiston

Well I was wrong.

The power of family films on Saturday. Looking at the weekend breakdown for Interstellar, it looks likely that it will drop $1-2M with tomorrow's actuals. They have the film dropping 20% today when 30% is the standard Sunday drop for new releases at this time of year. I think that Paramount just wanted an even $50M to save some face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom