• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 07•20-22•12 - and still we rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
People that skipped it this weekend will see it next weekend so it will not lose money in the long run.

Not necessarily, the hype will have receded a bit. Also, they might be seeing it for the first time next weekend instead of seeing it for the second time.

Drakeon

Every movie dropped 20% more than what it
Was estimated to drop, that's the aurora effect.

Thats a good point, I didn't think that it'd effect other movies, but the aurora shooting probably scared people off of movies in general, at least for that weekend.

Is that why avatar, titanic, tdk had such low drops, only one of them had a great wom

TDK only had slightly better than normal drops. Titanic and Avatar had fantastic drops because they were original IPs (kinda) and had great word-of-mouth. TDKR is a sequel to a movie that everyone saw, it's going to be very frontloaded.

All three movies had great word-of-mouth, don't judge that based on what a few people on the internet are saying.

Is that why avatar, titanic, tdk had such low drops, only one of them had a great wom

Not having great Neogaf WOM =/= not great WOM.

I heard incredibly great things about all three before I went and saw then. (Note: Its only hipsters who actually disliked Avatar and Titanic)

Takao

Banned
Not having great Neogaf WOM =/= not great WOM.

I heard incredibly great things about all three before I went and saw then. (Note: Its only hipsters who actually disliked Avatar and Titanic)

So you're saying a forum that goes out of their way to hate on hipsters may just be hipsters in their own right?

Whoa.

Titanic and Avatar wouldn't have made so much money if they had bad WoM. Most people liked these movies a lot.

Titanic was flooded with repeat viewing of teenage girls going to see Leonardo DiCaprio. It was a more popular Twilight back then.
Avatar had a gimmick, a $20+ per ticket gimmick.

Draconian

I like the people in here calling TAS a soulless cash grab compared to the Raimi trilogy. Did you guys completely miss Spider-Man 3?

Titanic was flooded with repeat viewing of teenage girls going to see Leonardo DiCaprio. It was a more popular Twilight back then.
Avatar had a gimmick, a $20+ per ticket gimmick.

lolololol....you seem really invested in downplaying Avatar and Titanic.

Gimmick? Which no other films nowadays have amirite? Pretty sure it would still be up there as one of the biggest (if not the biggest) films of all time gross wise even without 3D.

Obviously the 3D tax on Avatar accounted for it doubling the gross of Avengers' WW box office. 3D was also a huge draw card for movies leading up to Avatar.

Yup.

That makes perfect sense.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Avatar got to 2.7bil by having that 3D charge and years of inflation. Absolutely. Would have been a lot less without.

Avatar also sold tens of million more tickets than TDK, ROTK, and basically every other modern blockbuster since Titanic.

Know what great word of mouth is? Not having to convince someone to see a film.

Obviously the 3D tax on Avatar accounted for it doubling the gross of Avengers' WW box office. 3D was also a huge draw card for movies leading up to Avatar.

Yup.

That makes perfect sense.

Avatar alone made more money worldwide than the entire Nolan Batman Trilogy combined. Even if TDKR does the same business as Avengers (it wont), Avatar will still be WAY ahead of the entire trilogy. Not even three Batman movies could topple Cameron.

How could a movie gross 2.7b and not have great WoM? Did Cameron send ninjas to family's homes to force them to see the movie multiple times?

Recon

Banned
Avatar alone made more money worldwide than the entire Nolan Batman Trilogy combined. Even if TDKR does the same business as Avengers (it wont), Avatar will still be WAY ahead of the entire trilogy. Not even three Batman movies could topple Cameron.

Sometimes great evil cannot be overtaken.

Anth0ny

How could a movie gross 2.7b and not have great WoM? Did Cameron send ninjas to family's homes to force them to see the movie multiple times?

It's so crazy. I've yet to hear a single positive impression of Avatar from anyone not on the Internet. Of course the film has positive WoM... just apparently not from anyone I know.

And I know people that swear by Transformers 3 and The Amazing Spiderman.

It's so crazy. I've yet to hear a single positive impression of Avatar from anyone not on the Internet. Of course the film has positive WoM... just apparently not from anyone I know.

And I know people that swear by Transformers 3 and The Amazing Spiderman.

Get new friends.

No one who has their opinions can be good for you. T3? God.

Ouch. Granted, it is having a staggered international release while Avengers had a huge rollout. Avengers opening international numbers were $185 million, but it opened in more markets. I can't find the breakdown of the markets for TDKR opening worldwide yet, so it will be interesting to see how it fared in all territories compared to other major films this year.

TDKR only opened in 19 markets, the major ones being South Korea, UK, and Australia, in which TDKR is running pretty close to the Avengers OW in each of those countries.

88 million is a very good number

Australia 19 July 2012
Hong Kong 19 July 2012
Malaysia 19 July 2012
New Zealand 19 July 2012
Philippines 19 July 2012
Singapore 19 July 2012
Taiwan 19 July 2012
Canada 20 July 2012
Denmark 20 July 2012
Finland 20 July 2012
India 20 July 2012
Indonesia 20 July 2012
Ireland 20 July 2012
Israel 20 July 2012
Netherlands 20 July 2012
Romania 20 July 2012
Spain 20 July 2012
UK 20 July 2012
USA 20 July 2012

Those are the markets that TDKR released in so far + future release schedule for the rest.

It won't have good legs. I think the movie is going to have pretty negative word of mouth surrounding it. It doesn't help that the movie is bloated, overly long, and people have said that Bane is damn near unintelligible.

ezekial45

Banned
It won't have good legs. I think the movie is going to have pretty negative word of mouth surrounding it. It doesn't help that the movie is bloated, overly long, and people have said that Bane is damn near unintelligible.

The internet and your opinion of the quality of the movie is not a good indication of WOM.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Everyone I speak to in actual life love the movie. I am the only one that has a problem with it even then I still see it a shit load of times because it is awesome if you forget about some shit.

Got an 'A' Cinemascore from audience polling. That's on par with BB and TDK.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

I don't get where you are getting this negative word of mouth thing. Sure Metacritic, IMDB or RT are not the end all be all of how the public is reacting to the film, but looking at those sites in MT it has an 8.8 user rating, on IMDB it's currently sitting at 9.2 (this will drop for sure, but it's still good) and in RT the average user rating is at 4.5/5.

so really whats this negative word of mouth again?

Everyone I speak to in actual life love the movie. I am the only one that has a problem with it even then I still see it a shit load of times because it is awesome if you forget about some shit.
Only one person I know has seen it and they loved it. Yet many other people I know have friends that saw it and they liked it and we're underwhelmed. Anecdotal evidence, but I still think this won't have the legs Dark Knight had. It will just have legs like any other blockbuster, but not horrible drop offs.

Only one person I know has seen it and they loved it. Yet many other people I know have friends that saw it and they liked it and we're underwhelmed. Anecdotal evidence, but I still think this won't have the legs Dark Knight had. It will just have legs like any other blockbuster, but not horrible drop offs.

It will have fine legs, but no, it won't be on TDK level. It is the third installment of a trilogy after all and they tend to have worse legs.

The only problem is that the shooting made this weekend difficult to gauge what's going to happen this weekend and subsequent weeks.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

This is sort of fucked up but Dark Knight had the whole Heath Ledger thing. My buddy from work who isn't a huge fan of Batman but is like what ever is seeing it tonight. He is my judge for most of this shit now.

We'll know soon enough on word of mouth on the holds the next couple of weekends. But I'm sure if there are large drops the "people are scared of theater" argument will be played. I personally thought the movie was only average and was the worst of the three but maybe after TDK there was no way it could live up to my expectations.

I was personally disappointed with the film. I went with a group of friends and the opinions ranged from "It wasn't as good as the Dark Knight," to "It was all right,". So no gushing praise or ringing endorsements. This same group of people went and saw The Dark Knight multiple times. Again, this is all anecdotal, but I feel like these attitudes are more common than you guys think.

Recon

Banned
I was personally disappointed with the film. I went with a group of friends and the opinions ranged from "It wasn't as good as the Dark Knight," to "It was all right,". So no gushing praise or ringing endorsements. This same group of people went and saw The Dark Knight multiple times. Again, this is all anecdotal, but I feel like these attitudes are more common than you guys think.

I went with a group of 8 people, 7 of those 8 loved it, the other guy thought it was good, but not great. My anecdotal evidence trumps yours!!!

Nope. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom