• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 07•20-22•12 - and still we rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

What does that mean exactly? Releasing videos of their moving simultaneously with their theater release?

That's precisely what it means. Magnolia Releasing already does this with their films, but they're far more low-key releases. I think that IFC Films also does the same thing these days, as well.

Cipherr

That's precisely what it means. Magnolia Releasing already does this with their films, but they're far more low-key releases. I think that IFC Films also does the same thing these days, as well.

That would be pretty dreamy. An excellent excuse for more barbeques man. Get summer movie -> Invite everyone over -> win.

Ridley327

That would be pretty dreamy. An excellent excuse for more barbeques man. Get summer movie -> Invite everyone over -> win.

Magnolia also used to go even further than that with simultaneous on-demand, theatrical, and physical releases, but they ended up backing out of that due to the demands of the latter being too much for such a plan. That said, their films are on DVD/Blu-ray in a short time span after their theatrical runs; a couple of months, at most.

The movie companies don't give a crap about concession sales, since they would be distributing the movies directly for a family at home they would be getting most of the cut instead of giving some to the theaters.

The point being that the movie studios and theatre companies have a very symbiotic and lucrative relationship. Why would the studios risk pissing off the theatre companies and putting that relationship in a bad state? IT's the same argument when people want $10 ala carte HBO Go. Everyone involved is making tons of money as is.

MechDX

The point being that the movie studios and theatre companies have a very symbiotic and lucrative relationship. Why would the studios risk pissing off the theatre companies and putting that relationship in a bad state? IT's the same argument when people want $10 ala carte HBO Go. Everyone involved is making tons of money as is.

The studios and theater owners do not have a good relationship. Studios want the chains to update their projectors to HDD and away from reels and the chains wont do it because the cost would be too high.

The studios could give a rats ass about the theaters. When the talk came out a few years ago there was speculation the chains threatened to go the government saying an OnDemand type service would just destroy them and it would be an unfair practice.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Despite being an arachnid, Spiderman doesn't seem to have any legs.

The problem is it has Super-Man syndrome

It's rebooted all over again (quickly too)

We get it "With Great Power comes Great Responsibility!" schtick

This one felt like an authentic comic book movie, but we didn't need a whole 45 minute refresher course again on the GODDAMN origin

I loved the action sequences, the flow of it all, but movie felt like 2-3 set pieces and drama in between those

You know you lost your audience when they go why isn't he shooting webs from his hands like the last movies, and using pellets in this one....
That alone destroyed the immersion lol

bill0527

Despite being an arachnid, Spiderman doesn't seem to have any legs.

I haven't gotten around to see it yet.

I loved Raimi's trilogy too much and this re-boot happened too quickly for my tastes. Everything about it screams - cash in quickly so we don't lose the franchise back to Marvel. I know I'm on an island with my thinking, but I'm not rewarding this bullshit with my money.

Still..I'll probably catch it when it hits on demand or rent the BR.

I'll also feel the same way about Batman if WB reboots this shit in 3 years.

Let these films breathe a little.

And I'm also not hyped at all for The Man of Steel because I'm sick to fucking death of origin stories.

I haven't gotten around to see it yet.

I loved Raimi's trilogy too much and this re-boot happened too quickly for my tastes. Everything about it screams - cash in quickly so we don't lose the franchise back to Marvel. I know I'm on an island with my thinking, but I'm not rewarding this bullshit with my money.

Still..I'll probably catch it when it hits on demand or rent the BR.

I'll also feel the same way about Batman if WB reboots this shit in 3 years.

Let these films breathe a little.

And I'm also not hyped at all for The Man of Steel because I'm sick to fucking death of origin stories.

Just cherish the Raimi trilogy and don't even bother with TAS, it really is just a soulless cash grab.

Regarding Man of Steel, the Superman origin story kind've had to be redone for a modern audience. They tried to go the other way with Superman Returns and look how that turned out.

Mooreberg

Just last week I was thinking how the mood around the release of this film was better than TDK because there wasn't a cast member death. I think it's going to be negatively impacted well beyond this weekend thanks to the news coverage.

border

This one felt like an authentic comic book movie, but we didn't need a whole 45 minute refresher course again on the GODDAMN origin

I think the origin is the most fun part of the Spider-Man story, and the part with the most resonance. Spider Man has such a lame line-up of villains, once you actually get to the bad guys and main plots it gets stupid. I thought Amazing Spider Man was much more fun than the first Raimi film. I like that they don't beat around the bush as much with his secret identity, and that Gwen Stacy is pretty cool, strong, smart and confident (whereas Mary Jane was little more than a nerd trophy).

You know you lost your audience when they go why isn't he shooting webs from his hands like the last movies, and using pellets in this one....

And there are people who saw TDKR who think
that Bruce Wayne died at the end or that Ra's Al Ghul was a ghost
. I'm not sure how a few braindead audience members is evidence of a poor film.

jerry1594

I wouldn't word it like that at all. But you have the right idea, just expressed backwards. The shootings had a huge impact on BO sales this weekend. But consumerism is consumerism and isn't going to stop. All those people who didn't go this weekend will eventually still go.

I expect the second and third weekends will be huge.

Yeah what I meant is that it would bring the movie to a greater focus. Like how it's very likely that the Pepsi embargo at the Olympics will drive up Pepsi sales, but not quite like that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes, TDKR has been impacted by the Aurora tragedy. And I was waiting for this thread like most of you. Let's see if it'll have better legs than anticipated or if what happened will influence the overall performance. IMHO, it's 50-50 between the two scenarios.

oatmeal

Banned
Also Sony 4K Digital Projectors are fucking GORGEOUS!

I know most won't remember, but I was going on about 48FPS on Prometheus in it's OT, well now I know why, it was a 4K theater
Most of the time movies I saw was on 2K projectors, the 4K gave me that Motion+ effect

wat

mr stroke

I swear if they reboot batman in the next 5-6 years I'll be pissed. Of course Hollywood won't let it sit any longer than it takes to put a team together.

How is Brave holding up to other Pixar releases in the last few years?

Already better than Cars 2(193k)

Doesn't look like BRAVE will get anywhere near Toy Story 3(410k) or UP(293k) maybe 230-250k?

I hope this doesn't put Pixar back into sequel mode again. BRAVE was awesome

LosDaddie

Banned
leaving all that behind, TDKR doesn't deserve beating the avengers or TDK, the movie is just not that good.

Other than being comic book movies, I don't think you can compare Avengers to Dark Knight Rises. Fantasy vs Realism. Going for, and yet not going for, the same audience at the same time.

Eidan

Eh not really. It obviously had an effect but generally a 40% drop is good but 60% is fairly common on any weekend. So big.....but hardly shocking or disastrous.

Across the board drops of over 50 percent and low 60's? Moonrise Kingdom, a movie that the week before had only an 18 percent drop, now has one that is over 50 percent? These are across the board large drops.

Dany

Banned
"We'll never be able to know how much money this tragedy cost Warner Bros.," Exhibitor Relations box-office analyst Jeff Bock said Monday. "I think it's safe to say it [would've made] $15 million-$20 million more if that had never happened."

It appears all of Hollywood and not just The Dark Knight Rises suffered as a result of the Colorado rampage.

Will Batman's Legacy Forever Be Marred?

According to Exhibitor Relations, Ice Age: Continental Drift saw ticket revenue plunge 56 percent from weekend to weekend. Animated comedies such as that usually hold much, much better.

"The family demographic possibly stayed away from The Dark Knight Rises, and they stayed away from films in general," Bock said, "and that's not a surprise given what happened."

from E! online

Well, it made more than TDK but yeah, not really surprised about the numbers considering.

Ya know, Avengers also holds the record for best second weekend at $103 million. You think TDKR could surpass that, after some time has passed and died down a bit?

Across the board drops of over 50 percent and low 60's? Moonrise Kingdom, a movie that the week before had only an 18 percent drop, now has one that is over 50 percent? These are across the board large drops.

Maybe 20% on top of normal total. Probably a little less.

As I said. Big. Not earth shattering though.

Ya know, Avengers also holds the record for best second weekend at $103 million. You think TDKR could surpass that, after some time has passed and died down a bit?
It would need to have a drop of less than 37%. Highly doubtful but maybe next weekend more people will feel like going to the theater. I still wouldn't count on it though.

kswiston

I'd bet a good bit of money on the answer being no. $161M is not exactly a low opening, even if the shooting lowered it by $20-30M. Look at it this way:

Here are the top opening weekends (subtracting midnights) and their second weekend drops:

Avengers - 1st wkd $188.7M - 2nd wkd $103.1M (-45.4%)
Spider-man 3 - 1st wkd $141.1M - 2nd wkd $58.2M (-58.8%)
TDK - 1st wkd $139.9M - 2nd wkd $75.2M (-46.3%)
Hunger Games - 1st wkd $132.8M - 2nd wkd $58.6M (-55.9%)
TDKR - 1st wkd $130.2M - 2nd wkd ???
Harry Potter 8 - 1st wkd $125.7M - 2nd wkd $47.4M (-62.3%)

So minus the initial midnights, all of the 150M+ earners dropped 45-62% in their second weekend. Minus midnights, TDKR would need to drop 20.9% or less to take the second weekend record. Larger midnights for TDKR were always going to lead to a larger second weekend drop than TDK. Maybe people going this weekend instead of last weekend will mitigate that a bit, but we aren't going to magically see an unheard of drop for the movie. I think that it is much more likely that TDKR has permanently lost some of its business and momentum due to the shootings than it is that we will see some crazy second weekend total. If TDKR's second weekend matches or comes close to TDK's second weekend, that will be a big success. Especially considering midnights were almost double.

I bought 2 tickets for the same seat because I lost one (which I later found). That combined with me seeing the Dark Knight twice on opening day means I have done my part to help save Gotham.

No the movie theater does.

Not true.

Over time the theaters cut goes up because the studios give them a bigger cut to keep them from dropping the film. Every week the theater makes more money per ticket. If it was the other way around theaters would just drop old films after a few weeks.

WB should attach the ComicCon Man of Steel trailer to TDKR to get people to go back. Probably wouldn't work, but I want to see the ComicCon Man of Steel trailer on the big screen so fuck it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom