• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Destruction (Sega x ImageEpoch), JP release - 18th Sept, Trailer - Post #359

duckroll

beef3483 said:
For Japanese scans? If so, then why were people posting them before?

Why does the origin of the scan matter? It's illegal. Would pirating Japanese games be okay then? Or Japanese movies? Same logic.

batbeg

justchris said:
Dammit people, Luminous Arc was a fun game. All it needed was a better story.

I couldn't get past the shitty controls. Is it so hard to let me use stylus and buttons in the same battle? Apparently so. But in all seriousness, I'll give it a proper chance ie more than a couple hours one of these days, but it didn't seem terribly special from the first couple hours.

duckroll

Chris Michael said:
According to ethelred's thread, the company is divided into teams presumably by Niinou, Kanemaru, and Mikage.

I think you just have trouble comprehending all that text in his thread. Read it again slowly and maybe it'll make more sense.

duckroll said:
I think you just have trouble comprehending all that text in his thread. Read it again slowly and maybe it'll make more sense.

I'm aware that Mikage owns the company. I was citing this possibility...

ethelred said:
• The company has expanded. A lot. Image Epoch has 110 employees with about 20 additional freelance contractors working on projects for them. The staff is dividend into four and a half individual teams. While it wasn't specified, we can assume three of those teams are Niinou's, Kanemaru's, and Mikage's. No idea who might have been hired to head the rest.

Mikage is involved with this game. So if the teams are indeed separated and lead by certain people, then I'm assuming this game would be handled by Mikage's team.

Durante

Graphics look like fixed perspective 3D (which makes some of the shots a lot more plausible) with sprites for characters to me.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Finally able to take a glance at it. Looks nice and colourful, and as ethelred already said the more turn-based RPGs out there the better. They've got Kato and Mitsuda and that's a plus in my books.

I honestly hope for Image Epoch to turn out into a good developer akin to Level-5. Luminous Arc wasn't that great, and I'm not too keen on the sequel so far either (based purely on the burnt feelings I copped from the original).. but this game I can get behind.

duckroll

LA2 is being made by most of the guys who made LA1, except Mikage isn't directing it this time.

World Destruction is due in Summer, so it is clearly by a different team. Mikage is directing.

So, what exactly is "Mikage's team" then? :)

Zilch

Banned
duckroll said:
Why does the origin of the scan matter? It's illegal. Would pirating Japanese games be okay then? Or Japanese movies? Same logic.

I guess I'm confused about these "laws" that make posting japanese scans "illegal". They seem to apply only to NeoGAF, correct? Since you're posting scans yourself at ********.

edit: videogame messageboard elitism is *lol*

duckroll

Zilch said:
I guess I'm confused about these "laws" that make posting japanese scans "illegal". They seem to apply only to NeoGAF, correct? Since you're posting scans yourself at ********.

Jaywalking is illegal, doesn't mean I don't do it. If they enforce it heavily in one part of the city, I won't jaywalk there. Doesn't mean I won't jaywalk elsewhere if there aren't any cars and no one is enforcing it. Doesn't mean it's not illegal.

Catch my drift?

batbeg

Zilch said:

That forum scares me. At least now I may know where to get scans quicker though.

duckroll

PantherAttacks said:
It really is. Magazines, listen up: Put your high profile exclusive pages online viewable for 25c or something!

You do know that all Japanese magazines put all the main articles online on the same day the magazine hits or 1-3 days later right? People that are posting scans now are getting the magazines early, breaking street date, etc. So now magazines should put their articles online BEFORE the magazine streets? Man, wtf is wrong with humanity.

Finally saw the shots, the visuals look hawt and like some others have said, it's always good to have more turn based games. Hoping this comes along nicely.

near

Gold Member
Sega are really starting to impress me lately, and from what i can tell so far this game has alot of potential.

duckroll said:
You guys know Sega isn't developing the game right? ^^;

And thats the reason we are so happy!

Sega Publisher >>>> Sega Developer

j/k

I midly enjoyed Luminous Arc so I'm looking forward to this game who looks very good.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well it's not a new Phantasy Star, but it's a turn-based RPG, the best genre of games out there. And I have yet to be disappointed in an RPG with SEGA's name on it. (well, maybe Miracle Warriors :lol ) It's cool to also have more companies mostly devoted to RPGs forming in Japan.

Soul4ger

djtiesto said:
Well it's not a new Phantasy Star, but it's a turn-based RPG, the best genre of games out there. And I have yet to be disappointed in an RPG with SEGA's name on it. (well, maybe Miracle Warriors :lol ) It's cool to also have more companies mostly devoted to RPGs forming in Japan.

Climax Landers/Time Stalkers?

Tailzo

Wow, it looks very colorful, and nice too. I do hope the characters are interesting though, they do seem kinda "normal" right now.

Soroc

Wow I'm really impressed with the way this looks. I love the art style and the 2d/3d mix is really adding to the depth of the images. I really do hope Sega pushes beyond the ds's limits, I always love hearing developers talking about pushing machines beyond what they were programmed for :D

duckroll

Soroc said:
Wow I'm really impressed with the way this looks. I love the art style and the 2d/3d mix is really adding to the depth of the images. I really do hope Sega pushes beyond the ds's limits, I always love hearing developers talking about pushing machines beyond what they were programmed for :D

Sega aint doing no pushing. :p

reriel

from rpgfan:
Sega today announced an original DS RPG entitled World Destruction. The project has reunited three key members of the Xenogears development team, as Sega secured the services of scenario writer Masato Kato, composer Yasunori Mitsuda, and character designer Kunihiko Tanaka. Drag-on Dragoon (Drakengard) character designer Kimihiko Fujisaka, Shin Nagasawa of Etrian Odyssey fame, and Grandia designer Masatoshi Azumi are also involved in the project. The entire development team consists of close to 50 members.

The developers are promising visuals that are pushing the hardware to its limits. World Destruction's protagonist is a young man named Kirie. He possesses powers capable of annihilating the entire world. He doesn't know why he has those powers, though. Kirie is not a very self- assertive person, but he still says what he thinks. One day, he is forced to join the so-called world destruction committee. As its name suggests, this organization is plotting to destroy the world. The game's female lead is called Morte. She has become a member of the organization because of her own tragic past. The young lady is very bold, but not very skilled when it comes to love affairs. Other characters include Naja (who is half-man), half-wolf, Morte's childhood friend Agan, and Lia. Lia may look like 15 or 16, but in fact she was born more than 300 years ago.

System-wise, World Destruction will offer turn-based battles incorporating fighting game elements. During battle, players will accumulate Battle Points (BP). BPs can be used to trigger techniques, special techniques and combination attacks. A well timed press of a button will result in enemies taking massive damage.

Will the end of Kirie's journey indeed mark the apocalypse or something else? We will find out the answer when World Destruction hits Japanese retail store shelves sometime later this year.
interesting.

duckroll

reriel said:
from rpgfan:

interesting.

From the interview:

Grandia designer Masatoshi Azumi = "Sprite work assistance"

Drag-on Dragoon (Drakengard) character designer Kimihiko Fujisaka = "Character design special thanks"

Shin Nagasawa of Etrian Odyssey fame = "Monster design"

firex

So Xenosaga's big 3 doing an RPG? It's either going to be very bad or very good... I just hope that since it's on DS they don't go overboard with cutscenes.

firex said:
So Xenosaga's big 3 doing an RPG?

I don't know if I'd call it "Xenosaga's big 3" exactly. (EDIT: Because Kato didn't work on Xenosaga at all, natch! Let's pretend you meant Xenogears, k?)

Takahashi was the director of Xenogears and created the world and story; Kato was an event planner and scriptwriter, but wasn't in charge in any meaningful way.

For good or ill, if you're looking for a precedent on what a Kato-written game will look like, you're gonna want to look at Chrono Cross.

duckroll

charlequin said:
I don't know if I'd call it "Xenosaga's big 3" exactly. Takahashi was the director of Xenosaga and created the world and story; Kato was an event planner and scriptwriter, but wasn't in charge in any meaningful way.

For good or ill, if you're looking for a precedent on what a Kato-written game will look like, you're gonna want to look at Chrono Cross.

Wtf are you talking about? Kato had nothing to do with Xenosaga at all. :p

batbeg

reriel said:
from rpgfan:

interesting.

Kind of interesting story, though you can already hear the beginnings of every JRPG ever. Hopefully the battle system will be fun, there really should be more turn-based RPGs :D

ethelred

Dr. Strangelove said:
Mitsuda! <3

I wouldn't get too psyched about this part of the staff list. Until we see (hear?) more confirmation, I would imagine Mitsuda's contributions will mostly be in the form of supervising his Procyon sound team, which will actually be doing the compositions (ala Luminous Arc).

He fully composed for Soma Bringer, and all of the Inazuma Eleven demo songs sound like they're composed by him... but this is a rarity these days.

batbeg said:
Kind of interesting story, though you can already hear the beginnings of every JRPG ever. Hopefully the battle system will be fun, there really should be more turn-based RPGs :D

Yes, I'd like to know more about the battle system for sure (even though, as I said, I'm just thrilled it's turn-based traditional). I'd also like to see some scans that don't cut off the one battle shot.

duckroll said:
Grandia designer Masatoshi Azumi = "Sprite work assistance"
Drag-on Dragoon (Drakengard) character designer Kimihiko Fujisaka = "Character design special thanks"
Shin Nagasawa of Etrian Odyssey fame = "Monster design"

These are very good people.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
He hired a bunch of new staff recently, but only two of them worked on Luminous Arc 2 (and I don't think it was purely composition) with Yoko Shimomura among other non-Procyon Studio staff so yeah, some of them are probably working on this game.

Top Bottom