• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Destruction (Sega x ImageEpoch), JP release - 18th Sept, Trailer - Post #359

duckroll said:
Info about the anime series is out. Airs in July.

Staff

Director: Shunsuke Tada
Series Editor/Script: Masahiro Yokotani
Character Design: Keita Matsumoto
Music: Yoshihiro Ike
Animation: Production IG

Yoshihiro Ike? Never heard of him. I'll look him up in a bit. I wish it was Hiroshi Takagi just because he's done almost nothing (relevent at least) after his Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu orchestral soundtrack masterpiece.

BluWacky

Spirit Icana said:
Yoshihiro Ike? Never heard of him. I'll look him up in a bit. I wish it was Hiroshi Takagi just because he's done almost nothing (relevent at least) after his Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu orchestral soundtrack masterpiece.

Never heard of him, but probably heard him if you've watched anything else by IG.

The anime sounds as if it COULD be half-decent, notwithstanding that virtually all game-based anime are shockingly awful; interesting staff, good studio, decent seiyuu talent.

The game, on the other hand, looks and sounds extremely entertaining with the team behind it. Presumably it'll come out to co-incide with the anime? Looking forward to it at any rate.

Indeed it looks impressive, characters artwork could be better but the ingame sprites look quite fine. Also the anime tie-in sounds good, miles better than Shining Wind one.

On the 'franchise' talk, more entries in something called 'World Destruction' sound ridiculous but oh well we will always have Final Fantasy.

ethelred

chaostrophy said:
So I guess I'm the only one that likes Kunihiko Tanaka's work.

Nah, I basically like most of the characters -- particularly the guy in the green overcoat and the redhead (who reminds ms a bit of Elly). Not thrilled with the main character, who just looks too much like the SO4/WKS/TLR leads. The pirate/sheriff bear is both disturbing and oddly intriguing at the same time.

Overall, I like the cast designs a bit less than Xenogears, but waaaaaay more than Xenosaga. And the sprites look to represent Tanaka's art really well.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
king zell said:
worldd.JPG
Awesome! I can't wait to hear more details about the battle system. :D

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
ethelred said:
By the way, I got curious and looked up the different staffers to see what additional stuff they've done.

Masato Kato: story
Chrono Trigger (story planner); Xenogears (scenario); Chrono Cross (scenario, director); Baten Kaitos (scenario); Children of Mana (scenario); Dawn of Mana (scenario)

Kunihiko Tanaka: main character design
Xenogears (main character design); Xenosaga I (main character design)

Yasunori Mitsuda
I think everyone's pretty familiar with him.

Masatoshi Azumi: spritework assistance
Alisia Dragoon (main graphic designer); Lunar: The Silver Star (graphic director); Lunar II: Eternal Blue (graphic director); Grandia (designer)

Kimihiko Fujisaka: character design special thanks
Drakengard (character designer); Cry On (character designer)

Shin Nagasawa: monster design
Bahamut Lagoon (monster design); Final Fantasy IX (character design); Etrian Odyssey (monster design); Etrian Odyssey II (monster design)

Like I said, the last three are good folks.

o_O Holy FUCK I'm SO THERE!!!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hcoregamer00 said:
I like the character designs, although the women look way too slutty.
Really? I really like the female designs. I think it's that male, the one with the white hair, that looks too slutty. What kind of gloves are those? o_O

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy shit. Sega's rediscovering traditional RPGs?

Please be old-school Sega. Not new-school (failing-the-class) Sega.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Game looks great so far and has some great guys behind it. Anyone know what are the chances this gets a timely, if at all, NA release? The DS is going to be a RPG beast this year.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Hcoregamer00 said:
You can still be slutty being fully clothed.
Which is why I was glad that you clarified that. All those other games with low cut skirts, revealing blouses with random slits and strategically placed pieces of cloth over the years have misled me.

If only more character designers had the fashion sense of more is less that Tanaka has!

batbeg

This looks so so good, please be as good as you look :( And also if good, please be successful so we can continue getting games like this! And I like the character designs except the maid girl (how very practical) and the white-haired guy just because his stupid glove things :-\

Stage On

You know when I saw the title I was kind of hoping that this would be an rpg where you play the villan and get to destroy the world once instead of saving it. But alas that is too good to be true.

Still it looks amazing so I really really hope it makes it to north american shores!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm tired of saving the world. The idea of destroying it sounds awesome. This game is sounding more and more awesome.

Mejilan said:
Holy shit. Sega's rediscovering traditional RPGs?

Please be old-school Sega. Not new-school (failing-the-class) Sega.

The director of Skies of Arcadia made Senjou no Valkyria, so it's obvious at least SOME of them haven't been killed off just yet.

duckroll

The manga's announced too:

closeup3.jpg

The manga artist is Minoru Murao, who worked as animation character designer on both Last Exile and Submarine 707R.

ethelred

batbeg said:
And I like the character designs except the maid girl (how very practical) and the white-haired guy just because his stupid glove things :-\

The maid girl is the character who is actually 300 years old.

thetrin said:
I'm tired of saving the world. The idea of destroying it sounds awesome. This game is sounding more and more awesome.
The director of Skies of Arcadia made Senjou no Valkyria, so it's obvious at least SOME of them haven't been killed off just yet.

It's definitely a cool concept, though I imagine the hero's objectives will shift away from destroying the world by the end of it.

And yes, I'm delighted Shuntaro Tanaka is still with Sega and getting to make RPGs. I'd like to see more of the company's former talent getting to do stuff like that again, though. We need a new Reiko Kodama RPG.

duckroll

ethelred said:
It's definitely a cool concept, though I imagine the hero's objectives will shift away from destroying the world by the end of it.

I doubt it will. In fact, I'm betting the world WILL end, because this is a Kato RPG. Except, while it will be dramatic at the point, it'll quickly fix itself and offer another lame easy solution to right everything before the end. :/

The 300 year old girl is the last of the dragon race, while the silver haired guy is a half-human/wolf dude. Fucking furries, all of them. :(

duckroll

Magicpaint said:
At least it doesn't show on them (based on the current artwork at least). :p

Well I'm glad the game is true to its theme too. If I lived in a world ruled by furries I would wanna destroy it too.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
thetrin said:

Retaining SOME of the old stand-out staff doesn't mean that they're being well utilized!

duckroll

So pretty. Backgrounds are insanely awesome. Sprites look great. FMVs look interesting with great art direction. Battles have TURN ORDER. :eek:

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Barkley's Justice said:
yo people still play ds?
People also still use paper to wipe their asses and watch TV in non-HD signals.
WHAT PRIMITIVE NIMRODS.

ivysaur12

Banned
So the concept is to destroy the world? It'd be great if met a party of characters that were the "good guys" along the way.

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
So the concept is to destroy the world? It'd be great if met a party of characters that were the "good guys" along the way.

They -are- the good guys. It's about a group of people that are so sick of the oppression and direction the world is going, they want to change the world themselves even if it means triggering the destruction of the world for a "reset" status.

Top Bottom