• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Destruction (Sega x ImageEpoch), JP release - 18th Sept, Trailer - Post #359

firex

yeah, I should've just said Xenogears. not that it really matters, I think the rest of this company is going to keep them from ruining the game... I hope.

batbeg

Sweet Jesus that's a poorly written article. Happy to know people from Luminous Ark and Etrain Odyssey are working on it, and it's interesting to find out it's set in world in which humans are ruled by beasts. -.- Although I just saw the guys name, so I suppose he could be natively Japanese, although I'm unsure of that either way.

Anyway, interesting stuff anyway. Learning more about the battle system would still be nice, like the specifics of the timed buttons (FF6 Sabin or Super Mario RPG or...?), but more information is always appreciated :D

Edit:

firex said:
yeah, I should've just said Xenogears. not that it really matters, I think the rest of this company is going to keep them from ruining the game... I hope.

Dammit, don't tell me you wrote that article, I'll just feel bad.

ethelred

batbeg said:
Dammit, don't tell me you wrote that article, I'll just feel bad.

No. Fire just means that in his post earlier in this thread, he said "the three big guys from Xenosaga" when he meant to say "Xenogears."

ethelred

By the way, I got curious and looked up the different staffers to see what additional stuff they've done.

Masato Kato: story
Chrono Trigger (story planner); Xenogears (scenario); Chrono Cross (scenario, director); Baten Kaitos (scenario); Children of Mana (scenario); Dawn of Mana (scenario)

Kunihiko Tanaka: main character design
Xenogears (main character design); Xenosaga I (main character design)

Yasunori Mitsuda: music
Chrono Trigger (music); Xenogears (music); Chrono Cross (music); Xenosaga I (music); Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (music); Soma Bringer (music)

Masatoshi Azumi: spritework
Alisia Dragoon (main graphic designer); Lunar: The Silver Star (graphic director); Lunar II: Eternal Blue (graphic director); Grandia (designer)

Kimihiko Fujisaka: character design special thanks
Drakengard (character designer); Cry On (character designer)

Shin Nagasawa: monster design
Bahamut Lagoon (monster design); Final Fantasy IX (character design); Etrian Odyssey (monster design); Etrian Odyssey II (monster design)

Like I said, the last three are good folks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Himuro said:
Never played Suikoden?

Well, you have a point, but it would be funnier this time because of the game's name.

ethelred said:
By the way, I got curious and looked up the different staffers to see what additional stuff they've done.

Hmm... the game's filled with experienced staff, but it still has a newbie developer in charge.

Meh. We'll see how it turns out.

duckroll

The official site should be opening tomorrow, and hopefully by then we'll have a better idea of the systems and engine the game is running on. :D

ethelred said:

Masato Kato: story
Chrono Trigger (story planner); Xenogears (scenario); Chrono Cross (scenario, director); Baten Kaitos (scenario); Children of Mana (scenario); Dawn of Mana (scenario)

Kunihiko Tanaka: main character design
Xenogears (main character design); Xenosaga I (main character design)

Yasunori Mitsuda
I think everyone's pretty familiar with him.

Masatoshi Azumi: spritework assistance
Alisia Dragoon (main graphic designer); Lunar: The Silver Star (graphic director); Lunar II: Eternal Blue (graphic director); Grandia (designer)

Bahamut Lagoon (monster design); Final Fantasy IX (character design); Etrian Odyssey (monster design); Etrian Odyssey II (monster design)

Like I said, the last three are good folks.
He's not the charadesigner anymore, gooch switched to... ... Naora, I think...

Foxix Von

Holy crap, just saw the scans. MY GOD this game looks incredible. Well as incredible as a DS game can look... which is apparently really incredible.

Hype meter at 11!

Pachael

Relaxed Muscle said:
And thats the reason we are so happy!

Sega Publisher >>>> Sega Developer

j/k

I midly enjoyed Luminous Arc so I'm looking forward to this game who looks very good.

Well, in my opinion Seag's starting to do things right as publisher and developer these days, despite the final products being hit or miss.

ethelred

duckroll said:
Wow what a bunch of misinformation all at once! Good job! :D

Now, now. Don't be rude.

Mefisutoferesu said:
He's not the charadesigner anymore, gooch switched to... ... Naora, I think...

That's not correct. He's still the character designer. Sakaguchi did pick another individual to do additional art design for the game, but he didn't replace Fujisaka, and it wasn't Yusuke Naora, it was Manabu Kusunoki (of Panzer Dragoon fame), who had worked on Blue Dragon.

B.K. said:
The only one out of the first three that isn't good too is Kato.

Kato's fine.

ethelred said:
Now, now. Don't be rude.

That's not correct. He's still the character designer. Sakaguchi did pick another individual to do additional art design for the game, but he didn't replace Fujisaka, and it wasn't Yusuke Naora, it was Manabu Kusunoki (of Panzer Dragoon fame), who had worked on Blue Dragon.
Thanks ethel. I guess I misread Duck way back then or remembered it incorrectly, it's kinda obvious that it wasn't Naora, since he's busy with other stuff...

duckroll

Mefisutoferesu said:
Thanks ethel. I guess I misread Duck way back then or remembered it incorrectly, it's kinda obvious that it wasn't Naora, since he's busy with other stuff...

Naora is also.... still with Square Enix. x_X

justchris

ethelred said:

That explains why this game looks so good visually.

duckroll

Info about the anime series is out. Airs in July.

Staff

Director: Shunsuke Tada
Series Editor/Script: Masahiro Yokotani
Character Design: Keita Matsumoto
Music: Yoshihiro Ike
Animation: Production IG
Production: Sega/Geneon Entertainment

Cast

Kirie Irunisu: Mamoru Miyano
Morute Aashera: Maaya Sakamoto
Agan Maadoru: Hiroyuki Yoshino
Ri A: Yu Kobayashi
Naja Gurefu: Daisuke Ono
Toppi Topuran: ??? (rumored to be Tohru Furuya)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It honestly looks great, some of the credits is a bit urky but having Miyano and Sakamoto in the cast means that Sega/Geneon are planning on doing this with good and recognizable voices. Funny how this game and anime have sprung up out of nowhere and have quickly shot to my 2008 must play/must watch list.

I would've loved Kamiyama to step in to direct it (I personally need to know wtf he is doing!!!) but I guess the tone of the anime won't be in that type of serious light :lol

duckroll

speedpop said:
I would've loved Kamiyama to step in to direct it (I personally need to know wtf he is doing!!!) but I guess the tone of the anime won't be in that type of serious light :lol

Kamiyama isn't going to waste his time on media-mix nonsense. But at least we know the animation won't be "QUALITY" like Studio DEEN's Shining Tears. Sega seems pretty serious about this.

Xelinis

Shunsuke Tada did a fine job of directing the Tsubasa OVA and I think we all know that Production IG has some of the best animation technology in the industry.

Am I optimistic? Yea, I fucking am.

ethelred said:

That explains a lot, actually. Anyway, those are games with fantastic monster designs and graphic direction, so these two are probably the most exciting bits of news for me!

duckroll said:
As long as he doesn't start pulling plot twists out of his ass again, he's okay.

I basically agree with this. There are a lot of problems with Chrono Cross, and they're all probably Kato's fault. :lol

But I think there's a lot of good to it. The plot setup for CC is very clever, the interactions between the worlds (and the increasing desperation of people on both sides to solve their problems) are well plotted, and the game probably makes some of the best use of tone I can think of in an RPG. It's really when he turns to endless exposition to tie all the plot threads together that the whole thing unravels.

(Also: I think it would actually be viewed much more positively as a Chrono Trigger "spiritual sequel" if it had just left the original cast out altogether, honestly.)

ethelred

duckroll said:
As long as he doesn't start pulling plot twists out of his ass again, he's okay.

Well, after the Lynx plot twist and the Kalas plot twist, I think we can be assured that there will be some sort of dramatic plot twist in the game! I guess we'll see if it works this time or not. And anyway, the basic premise of the game (main characters sets out to destroy the world) is sort of an open invitation for a big plot twist.

charlequin said:
That explains a lot, actually. Anyway, those are games with fantastic monster designs and graphic direction, so these two are probably the most exciting bits of news for me!

They certainly are. The art/design team here all around is incredibly solid; it shouldn't be a surprise given how excellent everything looked in the scans, but knowing people of this calibre are on the team makes me really eager to see even more areas and enemies and such.

charlequin said:
(Also: I think it would actually be viewed much more positively as a Chrono Trigger "spiritual sequel" if it had just left the original cast out altogether, honestly.)

I thought Chrono Cross was both a very good game and a very poor sequel to Chrono Trigger.

It totally trashed the legacy of the original game. I call it the Alien 3 of gamingdom for the way both of those titles cavalierly destroyed elements people liked in the preceding entry -- in Alien 3 it was killing off the survivors in the first few minutes of the movie, while Cross goes out of its way to kill just about every character of Trigger (Gato, Robo, Ayla, Lucca -- twice! -- Marle, Crono) and even has the kingdom from the first game conquered by its bumblefuck southern neighbor.

Even so, there were a lot of great things about Chrono Cross and I think most people wouldn't view it so harshly if it wasn't for its failures as a direct sequel to such a beloved game.

duckroll

ethelred said:
Well, after the Lynx plot twist and the Kalas plot twist, I think we can be assured that there will be some sort of dramatic plot twist in the game! I guess we'll see if it works this time or not. And anyway, the basic premise of the game (main characters sets out to destroy the world) is sort of an open invitation for a big plot twist.

The problem with his plot twists is that he never follows through. He makes the plot twist a BIG deal, something that fundamentally changes how a character is seen and creates a major gamechanger, but then a mere hour or two later he presents a simple and easy solution so the "twist" can revert to normal again. It's cheap and lame.

ethelred

duckroll said:
The problem with his plot twists is that he never follows through. He makes the plot twist a BIG deal, something that fundamentally changes how a character is seen and creates a major gamechanger, but then a mere hour or two later he presents a simple and easy solution so the "twist" can revert to normal again. It's cheap and lame.

Oh, I agree. Don't misunderstand. I'm one of the few people who doesn't fall all over himself to praise the Baten Kaitos twist. I thought it was ridiculous.

ethelred said:
Oh, I agree. Don't misunderstand. I'm one of the few people who doesn't fall all over himself to praise the Baten Kaitos twist. I thought it was ridiculous.

I really like that twist (hmm, I didn't realize Kato was responsible for that too until this thread... that certainly makes the game's ludicrously Chrono Cross-esque quality make more sense) for its audacity, but I'll definitely agree with duckroll's original assessment: it's lame that they back you out of it, instead of riding it out to its natural conclusion.

ethelred

charlequin said:
I really like that twist (hmm, I didn't realize Kato was responsible for that too until this thread... that certainly makes the game's ludicrously Chrono Cross-esque quality make more sense) for its audacity, but I'll definitely agree with duckroll's original assessment: it's lame that they back you out of it, instead of riding it out to its natural conclusion.

The one nice thing I'll say about the Kalas twist is that it's better than the ludicrously absurd Melodia twist.

duckroll

I don't think anyone will be complaining if the Kalas twist was played to the end of the game, with Kalas being foiled and killed, instead of whatever else Kato decided to do. :(

duckroll said:
I don't think anyone will be complaining if the Kalas twist was played to the end of the game, with
Kalas being foiled and killed,
instead of whatever else Kato decided to do. :(

Black bars, man!

The Chrono Cross twists tend to have the same problem. The Lynx twist
is undone too easily, with no lasting effect
, most of the big revelations at the end are more of a "...whaaaaa?" than actual shocking revelations, etc. Probably the best narrative surprise in the game, for me, is
fighting Miguel
, which isn't a twist exactly.

I do hope he's improved some, though! This thread is reminding me of all the stuff I really, really love about Chrono Cross.

near

Gold Member
duckroll said:
Info about the anime series is out. Airs in July.

Staff

Director: Shunsuke Tada
Series Editor/Script: Masahiro Yokotani
Character Design: Keita Matsumoto
Music: Yoshihiro Ike
Animation: Production IG
Production: Sega/Geneon Entertainment

Cast

Kirie Irunisu: Mamoru Miyano
Morute Aashera: Maaya Sakamoto
Agan Maadoru: Hiroyuki Yoshino
Ri A: Yu Kobayashi
Naja Gurefu: Daisuke Ono
Toppi Topuran: ??? (rumored to be Tohru Furuya)

Mamoru Miyano, OMG!! I have a feeling this is going to be pretty decent, just wish i knew more about the script. Oh Maaya Sakamoto, if thats who i think it is then the cast is already looking great.

king zell

worldd.JPG

intro3.jpg

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Looking good, except for the characters... those guys are too feminine and the girls are dressed too slutty, in a hentai perv figurine way which is even worse.

Top Bottom