• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Press Photo of the Year 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this one is super memorable too (and arguably speaks more to the moment in US politics):

_90345723_mediaitem90345722.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
this looks like a screen grab from a movie.

These are good photos, amazing even, but I as a photographer I would never choose a photo of someone who was just murdered as the "world's best photo."

Are you a press photographer?

(this was the world press photo awards)
Am I missing something? Where was that guy shot that there is no blood in either of the photos?

He's dead. His heart stopped pumping very quickly.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
this looks like a screen grab from a movie.

These are good photos, amazing even, but I as a photographer I would never choose a photo of someone who was just murdered as the "world's best photo."

Agreed.

Kudos to the sheer will of the cameraman to take such shots, and they ARE good photos.

But of all of the beautiful things and events that have been captured with a lens, someone getting murdered isn't what I would call the world's best photo.

kess

"World's Best Photo" because of the context or composition? Because it's an awful photo composition-wise.

Clearly photographers have been fucking up murder shots since Weegee. Did you see that picture of the Kent State Massacre where the pole comes out of a person's head? What appalling placement!

Agreed.

Kudos to the sheer will of the cameraman to take such shots, and they ARE good photos.

But of all of the beautiful things and events that have been captured with a lens, someone getting murdered isn't what I would call the world's best photo.

Erm, it's not a beauty contest.

Oppo

The other photo from that scene is more incredible imo. The one from the side with the paintings.

This is the one:
97T3DJs.jpg

yeah I agree with this, on a compositional level for sure.

remember when this happened, some folks were like "go pick up your Pulitzer, camera man" and they were right.

I think it's certainly this year's most Relevant Photo, in many ways.

Violence is so normalized in US media that I have to constantly remind myself that that is not a behind the scenes shot of a movie and that there's a dead victim on the ground. Crazy photos.

Thread title is a bit of a fumble tbh, this isn't supposed to be the world's best photo..

Steve McCurry's Afghan Girl, Sharbat Gula, has got to be up there.

Those eyes.

McCurry is super good and he has a lot of photos that ate better than that one.

Actually it's fair to say that any natgeo photographer is super good. Dudes don't play around.

Breads

Banned
That doesn't mean that bullet wounds and blood don't happen.

That doesn't mean blood instantly teleports out of the body, clothing can't fold or shift to cover spots, and perspective no longer moves things out of view.

Being dumb is your right tho.

Why are people posting pictures that weren't taken from last year?

The two photos from that assassination are indeed brilliant.

Saya

Deservedly won imo. Powerful photo with a lot of emotion.

It's also surreal to know that not long after this photo was taken, this man was killed as well..

Completely tasteless to release a photo like that. That ambassador surely had a family. Imagine if that was your father and you had to keep seeing that photo around the internet. I hope the photographer actually sought the next of kin's permission to release those photos...

how do you feel about this
CZPHgALWIAErI7I.jpg

Shepard

I was shaken when I first saw this photo. It's immensely powerful and will go down as one of the greatest photographs of our modern times. There is so much emotion, power, and a very clear story about what this photo is about. Definitely deserving of this year's award.

I agree, even though that other photo is "aesthetically" insane, this one is much more powerful.

jem0208

This has been edited to make it look more movie-like. Here's the original:

pYXmTbV.jpg

Even so the unedited shot is still very impressive. Do a bit of cropping and it's pretty near the edited shot.

It's bizarre looking at it and knowing it actually happened.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The composition and color palette of this photo is unreal. This is some serious cinematic looking shit!

Also there's film grain in this picture. I wonder if someone edited this picture to make it look like this, because it's hard for me to believe that this is how the picture looked like RAW and unedited.

This has been edited to make it look more movie-like. Here's the original:

pYXmTbV.jpg

Thank you for proving my point right (even though my post is after yours, I was typing my post up for a while since I'm at work and it was sitting in the "composing" state for like 20+ minutes). You can clearly see the film grain that was added along with the color correction and color grading. The person that edited it did a great job making it look like a movie shot on 35mm film though.

Oh, seeing the original side photo I can clearly see the editing on the floor and the seam up the wall where they stitched in the extra painting on the wall. That makes the chosen winner the correct photo. I can't imagine being there after the shooting and hearing the chirp chirp of the camera going off. If something were to get the attention of the gunman in the moments after, that camera certainly put their life at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom