• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ Rumor: NX to "work with" PS4, smartphones, PC

-Horizon-

Mark Cerny was hanging out with Miyamoto...

main-qimg-c45aa74c177bc92e81178e56e47cf4bd

Time for Cerny to head back to the Nintendo Bathhouse.

If Nintendo truly means to release the NX in 2016 they need to start talking about the thing soon. As in next month soon. Otherwise info will leak one waya or another as more third parties get their hands on dev kits (if any, of course).

Nah, they'll let toxic rumours ruin it before announement.

TalonJH

I don't believe it but If I received PSN trophies from a Nintendo device my wife may leave me because I have no more time for her and I need my job to buy more games.

Edit: It says Rival PS4.

Lunar15

I'm beginning to think it's some kind of weird cloud gaming thing. Like OnLive or something. You have to buy the special controller, but the games can be played anywhere. You can buy something to connect to the TV, but you can use anything???

I have no idea anymore.

Jonboy

English isn't his first language so information from him usually ends up confusing people.
The PS4 part could mean it could rival it with its power or run games on it.
That was my thought too, lol. As in, it could even rival PS4...not necessarily that it would run on it.

Hope I'm wrong though. I'm one of those who would love to see Nintendo focus solely on games and get out of hardware.

Sterok

What does work with even mean? Crossplay online? Because the Wii U already does that with mobile, PC, and Vita, and will do so soon with the PS4.

JoeM86

That was my thought too, lol. As in, it could even rival PS4...not necessarily that it would run on it.

Hope I'm wrong though. I'm one of those who would love to see Nintendo focus solely on games and get out of hardware.

Except we know 100% that this is new hardware

And no Nintendo hardware would mean they'd likely have to downsize meaning less varied software.

Do we really need to go through this again?

I'm on the side of probably nothing. Too ambiguous, and it referring to something as straightforward as crossplatform online is a pretty reasonable takeaway. Don't think it'll be a ton more than that.

Too late if they intend to launch it in 2016. They need to announce it Q1 just like Sony did with the PS4. They can use E3 to further show the system and games but the announcement needs to happen very soon.

They've definitely got to do an event of some sort in February or March. Then follow it up with an E3 showing with more games and further details, release times, etc. as you say.

Alucrid

Banned
This is possible in the following way:

NX will be the console and handheld hybrid we have been rumored, with a console under the TV and a Wii U-like controller that also functions as a handheld separate from the console. The console will have a HDMI in port, like on Xbox One.

There will be a feature to stream whatever goes into the HDMI in port to the handheld device, like Wii U off-TV play. This would allow you to get a PS4 or PC image (assuming your PC has HDMI out) to the handheld. There will also be a phone app to stream the image to your phone.

ok, but how does the nintendo handheld give input signals to the pc or ps4

Elandyll

Banned
Do you say "My PS4 works with my PC" when you access PSN from the PC? Or "My Wii U works with my PC" because you can open Miiverse on it?
#shrug
Journalism/tweet? Are we sure the reporting is accurate?

I've said from the beginning that Nintendo should do a powerful handheld with a pstv equivalent small box linked to a tv, so that they minimise both cost, maximize function and only have to develop for one platform.

But to say that they went full PSNow and made the whole service virtual is a bit of a stretch... Even a virtual social platform like Miiverse might be. And here there might be a translation/ reporting issue, don't you think?

Somnid

Well if it's anything like what I thought they should do, it's too invest a lot in the web platform which has no particular owner, that way you can own your own service and don't pay royalties to anyone. It's an easy cross device win and yet do to the (perhaps unfortunate) way people view web it doesn't actually impact your own devices.

Top Bottom