• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games With Gold for August

LKSmash

I'm surprised by all the positivity in this thread. I feel it's quite a weak month for Xbox One. I would have greatly preferred the rumored games.

I'll take positivity over negativity every time my friend. Especially in Xbox threads which tend to devolve into bullshit "my PS4 is better" threads rather quickly.

Damn, while the month is good, I'm now mostly hoping this is a sign that Red Faction Guerilla will be backwards compatible soon 🙏🏼

arhra

Why don't they offer all the games all at once for the month?

The 360 games are still permanently owned, and not tied to your Gold sub. The two-week availability window was likely a compromise to make GwG happen in the first place.

The XB1 games are each available for a full month, with the mid-month games overlapping the next month (ie, until Trials goes up on the 16th, June's mid-month XB1 GwG will still be in the list). As for why they do that that way, I'd guess a) to keep them synchronized with the 360 GwG, and b) just to increase engagement and keep people checking the Gold hub regularly in case they have any other offers running (although you should really be checking it weekly for the Deals with Gold anyway).

To get you in the door. If you were a store owner, wouldn't you rather customers come in twice per month, rather than once? This is likely why there's no setting to just have these GWG games download automatically.

The sales potential for a person who isn't visiting the Xbox marketplace is 0%. Every time someone visits the marketplace, there's a chance for a sale.

MS has long been touting the importance of monthly active users (MAU). Having gold subscribers who engage with the store is good for business.

To get you in the door. If you were a store owner, wouldn't you rather customers come in twice per month, rather than once? This is likely why there's no setting to just have these GWG games download automatically.

The sales potential for a person who isn't visiting the Xbox marketplace is 0%. Every time someone visits the marketplace, there's a chance for a sale.

MS has long been touting the importance of monthly active users (MAU). Having gold subscribers who engage with the store is good for business.
But you subscribe to XBL you probably visit the store all the time. Not quite the same as retail, I spend regardless of the "free" games.

if you would "greatly prefer" damnation and stormrise i call bullshit

Huh? Those aren't Xbox One games. I'm talking about Firewatch and Assassin's Creed Chronicles. I would have greatly preferred those.

I think this month's XB1 games are really weak. Not personally into the Xbox 360 games either.

xrnzaaas

Nice lineup. Trials is always a lot of fun. And Red Faction Armageddon was good even though it wasn't nearly as great as Guerrilla.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Like I mentioned in the other thread, I don't own any of these games so that is always a win in my book.

Never went for Bayonetta aside from playing a demo way back then because I don't have any interest in other action games because of how high I regard the Xbox versions of Ninja Gaiden I, Black and II. But I'll give it a play sometime in the future for sure.

Always heard good things about Slime Rancher, and can't go wrong with a free Trials and a free Red Faction, even if they aren't regarded as the best versions in each respective series.

Great month ! I love Slime Rancher but I don't play it because of the One X patch coming.

If this the case, I might wait to play it too, depending on the upgrades.

arigato

I would've preferred Forza Horizon or Condemned over Red Faction but oh well. Now I can sell my copy of Bayonetta and free up some more space.

Fox Mulder

Wish they gave a few bucks in credit or something if you already have the games they're offering. Have had trials and Bayonetta forever.

lcd

Looking forward to trying Bayonetta. Also getting Trials Fusion digitally, it's the only physical game I have for my XB1.

Another impressively terrible month.

Bayonetta is the only game of any real note there, but who hasn't played that at this point?
Every game is like that. I've already dropped PS Plus and Gold is next. I had Plus since it started and never played a game that was offered.

If I want a game, I buy it. If I couldn't justify paying for the game, it wasn't worth my time in the first place.

Games don't get better when they're cheaper. They just get cheaper. It's people's standards that get cheaper.

EdgeXL

Because you get to keep the Xbox 360 games even if your subscription lapses.

If all games were available at the same time then somebody could reap two months of benefits with a single 30 day Gold sub.

Top Bottom