• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The January 2011 Thread

Joshery

Neo Member
So here's a serious question that we'd like some feedback on.

The deadline for submitting XNA 3.1 games is February 7th. In the past week the indie review queue has jumped from 40 - 60 games and we have a feeling that will grow as people try frantically to make the deadline.

Pissed! Fish has already been converted to XNA 4.0 so we can delay putting it out until after the 7th. What do you think about waiting to push it into review for another week to eliminate it from being buried by the flood of games that we predict are coming?

Any thoughts?

Joshery

Doesn't sound like a hard decision at all. Being the first of 60 games would push you off New Releases almost instantly.

FYI, with all this talk about your game vs. Angry Birds, people seem to be missing the horrible punctuation :p

Looking forward to playing it, I do hope it does something to justify its existence, though.

I'm interested to see at the very least if you do a better job porting Angry Birds to Xbox than Abstraction Games did with the PSP/PS3 minis version. Slowdown is a killer in a game like this so make sure there's none of it.

One thing that looks off in the trailers is the explosions. Seems like some of the things just disappear without any real animation (the ice platforms most noticeably, and the cats don't look to have any kind of pained expression before they explode.)

To everyone else, Miasma is down to $3 from $5.

Alright Corruption is really starting to annoy the crap out of me.
I'm hardly a third of the way through the game and the bosses are beating the crap out of me.

I understand this game was developed with multiple players in mind but at least implement something where if the person is playing by themselves they do more damage, take less damage, something.

EDIT: Disregard all that. I just beat the game on normal. It really wasn't too bad when I figured out how to block correctly.

Kafel

Banned
I've just tried Infect ED. The atmosphere is good with a cute boss and a little dance when you defeat him but everything is too easy. I'll never buy it at 400 points since I'd even hesitate at 80.

So yeah, with the number of games coming in the next days we'll have to be very picky.

Some recent impressions:

Bonded Realities - This is great so far. The first few battles I was mostly mashing the win button, but then I realized it was worth slowing down to read all the battle text. Puns ahoy!
Ballistic - I like it. Bombs are well implemented, and experimenting with power-ups is fun.

alanias

Bought Bonded Realities. Really good stuff, the puns make the battles more interesting, and I actually care about the new enemies in each area. Also the music is quite nice.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Guys, I've actually been thinking of tinkering with Indie games, just making a simple game to prove to myself that I can do it. I'm surprised at how motivated I am to go through with this.

What tools would I need? I honestly don't know anything about programming, but I have some free time to learn, so maybe XNA App Hub's tutorials will be enough. Since I'm a student, I have access to everything on Dreamspark - would Expression Studio 4 be a good way to create assets, since I don't have access to anything but Paint right now?

Ventron

Lyphen said:
Guys, I've actually been thinking of tinkering with Indie games, just making a simple game to prove to myself that I can do it. I'm surprised at how motivated I am to go through with this.

What tools would I need? I honestly don't know anything about programming, but I have some free time to learn, so maybe XNA App Hub's tutorials will be enough. Since I'm a student, I have access to everything on Dreamspark - would Expression Studio 4 be a good way to create assets, since I don't have access to anything but Paint right now?

First of all, if you use Dreamspark you can't release stuff on the Indie channel, you have to buy the $99 subscription fee.

In Bonded Realities, I used GIMP to draw all my assets (including the logo and boxart). Open source, no piracy, and it's still fully featured. I also bought a tablet, but depending on what art style you want you may not need this.

I come from a very strong programming background so I had a headstart. For someone like you, I'd first look up the fundamentals of C# as a whole before going to App Hub, otherwise you won't understand what's going on.

Lyphen.

Expression has a fairly solid vector based graphics tool included. So if you are looking to make a 2D game with a visual style like Castle Crashers that would work just fine. However it doesn't really do pixel by pixel, so if you want a classic sprite look you could use something like Paint.NET or Graphics Gale HD.

If you want 3D MSI Mod tool has a deal in place to be used for free with an XNA sub or the best open source 3D tool Blender could be used.

coamithra

Lyphen said:

XNA is very "out-of-the-box". Hit the download link from AppHub and you'll have everything you need. Getting to know the framework depends on how you like to work. There are a lot of example projects to tinker with available on AppHub, there are also online tutorials and offline books and finally the msdn docs are pretty good as well.

For drawing I have no useful input. I use paint.net, google image search and gullible friends.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Thanks guys. I'm more familiar with design stuff, as I went to college for it (but screw that I'm in university for Psychology!), so if Expression Studio's vector program works a bit like Illustrator, I'd likely go for that kind of style just for familiarity and ease.

And just to clarify: using stuff off of Dreamspark tools will make me ineligible for publication? Or does it just not offer the paid app review/publication package that every dev needs in order to get on the market?

Because I'd likely skip the 100$ package until I know I have a decent thing going. Reading week is coming up, so I'll have a full seven days to buckle down and focus on C#.

Ventron

Lyphen said:
Thanks guys. I'm more familiar with design stuff, as I went to college for it (but screw that I'm in university for Psychology!), so if Expression Studio's vector program works a bit like Illustrator, I'd likely go for that kind of style just for familiarity and ease.

And just to clarify: using stuff off of Dreamspark tools will make me ineligible for publication? Or does it just not offer the paid app review/publication package that every dev needs in order to get on the market?

Because I'd likely skip the 100$ package until I know I have a decent thing going. Reading week is coming up, so I'll have a full seven days to buckle down and focus on C#.

With Dreamspark, you can do everything except submit it for sale on the Xbox marketplace.

Joshery

Neo Member
Lyphen said:

If you're looking for an XNA framework/engine we really like using Torque X 2D -http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-x. It's really being maintained by the community at this point but it's been fully ported over to XNA 4.0.

Joshery

Neo Member
It seems in the U.K. the word "Pissed" is offensive (maybe even vulgar?) and it's been suggested that we change the name of Pissed! Fish. Since the neoGAF community was so kind yesterday I figured I'd come back for more :) Any thoughts on a good name change? Some that we're sort of considering:

1. Drunk! Fish
2. Wrath of the Fish
3. Fish of Fury
4. Kamikaze Fish

In case you missed it yesterday you can see what the game is all about here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-IslSHp7k

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
With no programming experience be prepared to log a ton of hours learning. It's essentially like learning a language - it's fairly easy to copy work and use tutorials/examples, but creating something of your own (with any degree of worth/originality) is much more challenging.

In my opinion it's not worth releasing (for sale) any "practice" work - which would include pong clones, tutorial reskins, etc. Nothing is really stopping you, but as you dive into the community you'll understand why. Practice, but resist the temptation of just throwing something uninspired up for sale.

This sounds more off-putting than intended. :) It's a great community and with alot of hard work you can make magic happen.

EDIT: What's the word on the Feb thread? Is Toys back in action?

EDIT(2): Furious Fighting Fish

OnPoint

SmallCaveGames said:
With no programming experience be prepared to log a ton of hours learning. It's essentially like learning a language - it's fairly easy to copy work and use tutorials/examples, but creating something of your own (with any degree of worth/originality) is much more challenging.

In my opinion it's not worth releasing (for sale) any "practice" work - which would include pong clones, tutorial reskins, etc. Nothing is really stopping you, but as you dive into the community you'll understand why. Practice, but resist the temptation of just throwing something uninspired up for sale.

This sounds more off-putting than intended. :) It's a great community and with alot of hard work you can make magic happen.

EDIT: What's the word on the Feb thread? Is Toys back in action?

EDIT(2): Furious Fighting Fish

I think we're waiting for Toys before we do the Feb thread, right?

wwm0nkey

Does anyone know of any good video tutorials that help you learn coding, I tried with text tutorials and was at least able to make a basic calculator but I learn much better from video tutorials/lessons.

Joshery said:
So here's a serious question that we'd like some feedback on.

The deadline for submitting XNA 3.1 games is February 7th. In the past week the indie review queue has jumped from 40 - 60 games and we have a feeling that will grow as people try frantically to make the deadline.

Pissed! Fish has already been converted to XNA 4.0 so we can delay putting it out until after the 7th. What do you think about waiting to push it into review for another week to eliminate it from being buried by the flood of games that we predict are coming?

Any thoughts?

Joshery

Ya this has become a major issue for our game Doc Logic. We are all so burntout from putting in long hours, trying to reach this deadline.

How was the conversion to 4.0? We've really been trying to avoid this, but are also concerned about the flood of 3.1 games coming out.

Also, the fear of not passing peer review......Doc Logic is currently in playtest, and not really getting noticed. Partly my fault for not playtesting other games and leaving feedback. But working 30hours/week at Fedex, and working morning till night on Doc leaves little time to check out other games.

Luckily we found a new artist who scored us some sweet new cover art

Also, for other aspiring game designers looking to get started with coding...dont forget about the option of partnering up with a coder with experience/training. If you love game design, focus on the design doc, and put an ad out locally looking for a coder. You have no idea how many coders lack game ideas, but want in the game industry.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SmallCaveGames said:
No worries. I actually have pretty simple, but I think under-represented or possibly even 'original' concept in mind, I just hope it'll be simple enough for me to do it justice and learn enough to make it happen. Even these WP7 things look daunting.

And yeah, I just read up that using anything from Dreamspark makes me unable to submit it for purchase unless I buy a retail license, which means Expression is out of the question. The version they offer on Dreamspark is 600$ for a key. Sucks. :(

Joshery

Neo Member
OldmanAndroid said:
Ya this has become a major issue for our game Doc Logic. We are all so burntout from putting in long hours, trying to reach this deadline.

How was the conversion to 4.0? We've really been trying to avoid this, but are also concerned about the flood of 3.1 games coming out.

Also, the fear of not passing peer review......Doc Logic is currently in playtest, and not really getting noticed. Partly my fault for not playtesting other games and leaving feedback. But working 30hours/week at Fedex, and working morning till night on Doc leaves little time to check out other games.

Luckily we found a new artist who scored us some sweet new cover art

Also, for other aspiring game designers looking to get started with coding...dont forget about the option of partnering up with a coder with experience/training. If you love game design, focus on the design doc, and put an ad out locally looking for a coder. You have no idea how many coders lack game ideas, but want in the game industry.

Fortunately we're using Torque X 4.0 CEV (Community Enhanced Version),http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/20811/, so the port to XNA 4.0 was really an entire community project and when it came time to switch our game is was relatively painless.

I'll see what we can do about checking out Doc Logic for you.

Joshery

SmallCaveGames said:
What's the word on the Feb thread? Is Toys back in action?
Got the internet a day early, downloaded everything last night, playing through them and writing the thread as I go. Should be up later tonight (UK time), so around six hours or so.

But seriously, what the fuck has happened? I've played forty games so far, and I can count the number of good ones on one hand. Worst month ever.

Joshery said:
It seems in the U.K. the word "Pissed" is offensive (maybe even vulgar?) and it's been suggested that we change the name of Pissed! Fish. Since the neoGAF community was so kind yesterday I figured I'd come back for more :) Any thoughts on a good name change? Some that we're sort of considering:

1. Drunk! Fish
2. Wrath of the Fish
3. Fish of Fury
4. Kamikaze Fish

In case you missed it yesterday you can see what the game is all about here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ-IslSHp7k

I'd go with Fish of Destiny!.. or alternatively, Angry Tuna! or perhaps Cooter Shooter!

Thought of another one: Revenge of the Tuna!

Joshery said:

1. Drunk! Fish
2. Wrath of the Fish
3. Fish of Fury
4. Kamikaze Fish

How about "Pissed Pisces!"

EDIT - I'm stupid. I forgot the "pissed" is British vulgar language thing. It's right there in the post. That won't work.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
toythatkills said:
Got the internet a day early, downloaded everything last night, playing through them and writing the thread as I go. Should be up later tonight (UK time), so around six hours or so.

But seriously, what the fuck has happened? I've played forty games so far, and I can count the number of good ones on one hand. Worst month ever.

SWEET!! Welcome back sir.

And yeah, not a ton out there from what I recall but some stood out. We really need to find a way to connect some college artist programs with the XBLIG community. The box art and "programmer" art is killing me. Even if some of those games are technically sound, and/or conceptually fun, they hurt my eyes too much. Decent box art costs like $50-$100 - seems like an obvious investment.

I went back to Alpha Squad after I realized I had set my expectations way too high, and realized it's actually still really strong.

(and yeah, the 4.0 transition was not fun - got to be honest - took us a couple weeks)

toythatkills said:

Bonded Realities was by far the best game released, so I hope you highlight it in some form.

Trumpets

Joshery said:

1. Drunk! Fish
2. Wrath of the Fish
3. Fish of Fury
4. Kamikaze Fish

How about "Angry Birds : Fish"?

Aaron

Joshery said:

1. Drunk! Fish
2. Wrath of the Fish
3. Fish of Fury
4. Kamikaze Fish
Furious Flounders

nli10

Joshery said:

1. Drunk! Fish
2. Wrath of the Fish
3. Fish of Fury
4. Kamikaze Fish

Angry Flying Fish?

Birds Vs Cats?

In all serious though pissed is a very mild swear in the UK, like bugger bloody or wank.

I'd avoid drunk (whole other kettle of fish - hey that's a name!) and stick with some kind of anger based adjective such as Furious, Fumin' , Ragin'

Also Boilin' Fish which has a similar double meaning to your original as it's both a way of cooking and an expression of anger. See also Stormy / Steamed up...

Joshery

Neo Member
nli10 said:
Angry Flying Fish?

Birds Vs Cats?

In all serious though pissed is a very mild swear in the UK, like bugger bloody or wank.

I'd avoid drunk (whole other kettle of fish - hey that's a name!) and stick with some kind of anger based adjective such as Furious, Fumin' , Ragin'

Also Boilin' Fish which has a similar double meaning to your original as it's both a way of cooking and an expression of anger. See also Stormy / Steamed up...

Ok, we're thinking: P!F

This would be for the title on XBox Live and the Boxart, and in game and marketing would remain Pissed! Fish.

Our question... do you think people would try a game called 'P!F' ?? How do you decide whether or not to download and try a game?

We agree that it's a mild swear, but we have devs threatening to fail the game if we leave it named Pissed! Fish in the title and box art (viewable to everyone w/out rating info).

Thanks

Joshery

Joshery said:
Ok, we're thinking: P!F

This would be for the title on XBox Live and the Boxart, and in game and marketing would remain Pissed! Fish.

Our question... do you think people would try a game called 'P!F' ?? How do you decide whether or not to download and try a game?

No, that's incredibly stupid. Just bite the bullet and change everything. Didn't you want to space out your release to avoid the flood anyway?

P!F would be really stupid. Also the exclamation point being between the two words to begin with is stupid. How are we supposed to say it out loud "PISSED ...fish".

If you're going to stick with the same title, just go with Pi**ed! Fish for the boxart.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Joshery said:

1. Drunk! Fish
2. Wrath of the Fish
3. Fish of Fury
4. Kamikaze Fish

I dug the name "Pissed Fish", shame that it's an offensive term and you can't use it...

2 ideas i had:
Mad Mackerel
Spiteful Sushi

AzBat

The developer went with FishCraft of all titles. I had suggested Flying Fish of Fury on Twitter. Yes, it's long, but it sounds cool & does a better job of explaining what the game is about. FishCraft? Not so much. Just a cash-in on MineCraft & Warcraft.

Top Bottom