• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The January 2011 Thread

Kafel

Banned

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Intruder_qc said:
Also I've seen promotion for other game by devs, like Kohei did that in their Maid san Caving Adventure, where when you lunch the game you will be shown an information screen about his other game. What would be great if the XNA framework would allow us to have clickable link that send you back to the marketplace.

Yeah, they're not exactly too many steps above Silver Dollar though, heh. I'm sure I've seen it in a couple actual good games, but I've seen it in a lot more less than good games.

I remember Halfbrick would plug ones that weren't even out yet, like that zombies one that never did. There is a list of all the games radiangames in Ballistic but it's not exactly advertising them, you wouldn't know what the list was unless you already knew about them.

Ohhh and I think it would be great to have devs forms some kind of alliance to do cross promotion, a bit like the Indie Game Winter Uprising but inside the game. This is something that a few iOS devs I know are doing, they have a screen usually called "more games" where they link to their other games and games from other devs that they like.

I was expecting there to be stuff like that in the Uprising games.

Enk

makes good threads.
Finished Bonded Realities last night. It's a pretty short at around 3 hours and that's finding the hidden boss
The Ghost of Bosses Past
, the massage simulator, all but 6 chests, not losing a battle, and at around level 24 per character. Here's some quick thoughts that I haven't touched on earlier:

- The world is nicely constructed. In some ways it kind of reminded me more of Mario & Luigi's structure than Dragon Quest. Towards the end I turned off the random battles and backtracked to see if I could find anything that I missed. Didn't really find anything other than the optional boss and the massage simulator. Wished there was more to explore (unless I missing something)

- "Sorry, I'm dead" - Monster Party reference?

- The only real lull point for me was the forrest/staircase maze. It became pretty tedious to navigate through again when I was backtacking.

- Nice little twist at the end. I wonder
if the stronger your main character is the harder that battle would've been

- It seemed most of the boss battles can easily be fought by putting up your magic shield. Maybe have some of the bosses that can disable that ability.

- I like the use of vibration, especially with the later bosses that can drain your party's health with quick, muliple attacks.

That's about it. The overall presentation is pretty polished and I really look forward to seeing the next thing you do with this engine (assuming you're going to make another RPG). It may not be as "deep" or long as CStW, but it does have its own unique charm. For a dollar it's well worth the purchase.

Ballistic is beautifully put together, but I'm just so bored of Geometry Wars clones now. Inferno is still my favourite from Radiangames.

OnPoint

Dr Zhivago said:
Ballistic is beautifully put together, but I'm just so bored of Geometry Wars clones now. Inferno is still my favourite from Radiangames.

Yeah, that style of games has really been played to death at this point. I really wish these devs, Radian in particular, would start flexing their muscles in other genres. They're obviously talented enough to do so.

OnPoint

SapientWolf said:
Not really. Score Rush is more of a traditional shmup. What differentiates Ballistic from JoyJoy though?

Well, to be fair, I'm speaking in terms of looks based on those Youtube videos. I haven't played Ballistic.

Nor JoyJoy. Maybe I'll change that tonight when I get home from work.

Joshery

Neo Member
Santiako said:
Very inspired and original.

Like many genres and types of games it's difficult to distinguish yourself from the crowd. Space Shooters, Twin-Stick Shooters, and in our case Physics Puzzlers are all very popular in the Indie space.

We hope that once you play the game you will realize we've put our own flavor into the game. One distinct thing is that many puzzles were designed around the fact that multiple fish can be launched nearly simultaneously - which we tried to demonstrate in the trailer.

Thanks for checking it out!

Joshery

Joshery

Neo Member
Diablohead said:
You copied the menu systems as well? dear lord.

The physics look like they are on the moon also, all half speed and slow.

There was some slow-down just due to the way we were capturing video unfortunately. We've implemented a well thought out trial mode so we hope that you'll give it a try and see that the physics actually work quite well.

wwm0nkey

Joshery said:
Like many genres and types of games it's difficult to distinguish yourself from the crowd. Space Shooters, Twin-Stick Shooters, and in our case Physics Puzzlers are all very popular in the Indie space.

We hope that once you play the game you will realize we've put our own flavor into the game. One distinct thing is that many puzzles were designed around the fact that multiple fish can be launched nearly simultaneously - which we tried to demonstrate in the trailer.

Joshery
You could have at least used a different art style than Angry Birds :/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Maybe a differrent title than (Angry synonym)(Animal).

Or gone wholesale and called it Furious Fowl.

OnPoint

Joshery said:

Joshery

2hx3cc4.png

Joshery

Neo Member
wwm0nkey said:
You could have at least used a different art style than Angry Birds :/

I think you'd find that the art style for Pissed! Fish is very similar to all of our XBLIG titles - Dreams of Witchtown, Zombie Sniper HD, and Elite Pinball HD.

We feel our game offers a pretty unique experience on the platforms we're targeting, Xbox 360 and Windows Phone 7 (hopefully a couple months down the road). It's true this type of game has done pretty well on other platforms (e.g. Crush the Castle on PC, and Angry Birds on iOS) and we hope our game will do well on the the Indie platform and WP7 in the future!

Joshery

Neo Member
Lyphen said:
Maybe a differrent title than (Angry synonym)(Animal).

Or gone wholesale and called it Furious Fowl.

In Europe "Pissed" is actually a synonym for "drunk." After all we feel the fish have to be a bit crazy -or drunk to launch themselves out of a cannon in a suicidal attempt to destroy the cats!

wwm0nkey

Joshery said:
I think you'd find that the art style for Pissed! Fish is very similar to all of our XBLIG titles - Dreams of Witchtown, Zombie Sniper HD, and Elite Pinball HD.

We feel our game offers a pretty unique experience on the platforms we're targeting, Xbox 360 and Windows Phone 7 (hopefully a couple months down the road). It's true this type of game has done pretty well on other platforms (e.g. Crush the Castle on PC, and Angry Birds on iOS) and we hope our game will do well on the the Indie platform and WP7 in the future!
No, not similar AT ALL.

Joshery

Neo Member
OnPoint said:

We're actually quite flattered that so many of you would even mention our game in the same sentence as games that have done so well. After all we are a team of 2 and we do this as a hobby. For the three games we've developed so far We've gotten a check from MS for about $2,000 - believe us - that does not cover our time, equipment, or much of anything else.

Would it be cool to have a game that had some success? Yeah. Is that the norm for XBLIG's? No. We've put more polish into Pissed! Fish than any other title we've worked on, and we have fun playing it ourselves - at the end of the day that's what we're happy about!

Thanks

Joshery

Feep

Banned
Joshery said:
We're actually quite flattered that so many of you would even mention our game in the same sentence as games that have done so well. After all we are a team of 2 and we do this as a hobby. For the three games we've developed so far We've gotten a check from MS for about $2,000 - believe us - that does not cover our time, equipment, or much of anything else.

Would it be cool to have a game that had some success? Yeah. Is that the norm for XBLIG's? No. We've put more polish into Pissed! Fish than any other title we've worked on, and we have fun playing it ourselves - at the end of the day that's what we're happy about!

Thanks

Joshery
I'm a huge supporter of Indie devs, but you should get out of here before you make an even greater fool of yourself.

This isn't "in the same genre". This is a nearly exact clone, with existing differences only made so as to avoid copyright infringement, though you only barely succeed in that regard. You copy not only gameplay elements but graphical style, user interface, and game structure. You attempt to entice users in with a name specifically designed to conjure memories of the more polished original.

Adding one very slight difference (you can fire slightly quicker) does not change the game. This is a shameless ripoff, and regardless of your sales, I hope you sleep uneasily at night. It's an embarrassment to yourself and your team.

Joshery said:

When are you guys gonna make a good game?

Joshery

Neo Member
Feep said:
I'm a huge supporter of Indie devs, but you should get out of here before you make an even greater fool of yourself.

This isn't "in the same genre". This is a nearly exact clone, with existing differences only made so as to avoid copyright infringement, though you only barely succeed in that regard. You copy not only gameplay elements but graphical style, user interface, and game structure. You attempt to entice users in with a name specifically designed to conjure memories of the more polished original.

Adding one very slight difference (you can fire slightly quicker) does not change the game. This is a shameless ripoff, and regardless of your sales, I hope you sleep uneasily at night. It's an embarrassment to yourself and your team.

You've surmised this all from a youtube trailer? Without actually playing the game we find it hard to believe you are a good judge of these things. We hope you do give it a try when it is released! In fact if you send me a pm, I'll give you a code to unlock the game for free when it is released!

Regards

Joshery

Joshery

Neo Member
Parallax Scroll said:
When are you guys gonna make a good game?

Well sir, we hope Pissed! Fish is that game! Hopefully you'll think so too once you have a chance to play it!

Regards

Joshery

Feep said:

The "original" was a knockoff as well. Just sayin'.

Feep

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
The "original" was a knockoff as well. Just sayin'.
Doesn't excuse it.

Joshery said:
You've surmised this all from a youtube trailer? Without actually playing the game we find it hard to believe you are a good judge of these things. We hope you do give it a try when it is released! In fact if you send me a pm, I'll give you a code to unlock the game for free when it is released!

Regards

Joshery
As a matter of fact, you can certainly tell all that from the trailer...gameplay and game structure are clearly evident, as are the overwhelming similarities.

I won't need a code, as I'm an XNA dev myself, and have access to playtesting and peer review. Luckily, we're not allowed to fail games for being ripoffs.

Joshery

Neo Member
Feep said:
Doesn't excuse it.

As a matter of fact, you can certainly tell all that from the trailer...gameplay and game structure are clearly evident, as are the overwhelming similarities.

I won't need a code, as I'm an XNA dev myself, and have access to playtesting and peer review. Luckily, we're not allowed to fail games for being ripoffs.

That's true, in fact you can get banned from being an XNA developer for discussing legal issues in regards to other indie games.

We wish you the best of luck with all of your original games and ideas!

Joshery

Feep

Banned
Joshery said:
That's true, in fact you can get banned from being an XNA developer for discussing legal issues in regards to other indie games.

We wish you the best of luck with all of your original games and ideas!

Joshery
(shrug)

Joshery

Neo Member
LocoMrPollock said:
I finished Dreams of Witchtown.. it was alright.

Anyway, stop the hate guys. Geesh.

Thanks! Dreams of Witchtown was our first game, and I think you or anyone else who played it and decides to try Pissed! Fish will see how much progress we've made in terms of overall polish and quality!

Joshery

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Eh, the game will live or die depending on the execution. And the constant comparisons will be like getting stoned as it is.

Sometimes a good clone isn't pure evil if done right, however. And in fact a good parody is in many ways a clone, just using the original material, copying the foundation, and then poking fun. The difference there though is that the parody aspect holds the originality.

What spins me around, is why anyone would want to spend time developing/creating an obvious clone. Nearly my entire motivation for dev'ing is to create something original. As most have found, money (aka, a "living") can't logicially be too high on that list. But to each there own I suppose.

Joshery

Neo Member
SmallCaveGames said:
Eh, the game will live or die depending on the execution. And the constant comparisons will be like getting stoned as it is.

Sometimes a good clone isn't pure evil if done right, however. And in fact a good parody is in many ways a clone, just using the original material, copying the foundation, and then poking fun. The difference there though is that the parody aspect holds the originality.

What spins me around, is why anyone would want to spend time developing/creating an obvious clone. Nearly my entire motivation for dev'ing is to create something original. As most have found, money (aka, a "living") can't logicially be too high on that list. But to each there own I suppose.

A parody doesn't usually come out and call itself a parody. We'll let you be the judge when you get a chance to play. ;-)

Joshery

Joshery

Neo Member
bubnbob said:
So... can I claim that free code

Well, since you asked nicely - we'd be happy to give you a free code if you post your feedback (good or bad) here on neoGAF. BTW this particular offer only applies to bubnbob - future requests will be determined on an individual basis :-D

When the game is released I'll pm you. It never hurts to ask.

Joshery

alanias

SmallCaveGames said:

Yeah, it's a tough call. Countless indie games have cloned the Geo Wars style/gameplay, but most of them have done their own twist on the formula. Ophidian Wars itself calls back to Metroid, but is inspired by it, not by any means COPIED.

Enk

makes good threads.
Joshery said:
No, neither of us have ever worked for a professional game development company.

You forgot to put your name. How am I supposed to know that's really you? o_O

Bioerosion - SHIT
Incident at Dreamy Vale Church - SHIT

Make all the excuses you want indie-devs. I've played games on the XBL indie service that more than rival major releases. It blows my mind when absolute garbage is put out but people white-knight it with "oh come on it's two or three guys, what do you expect?" and "making games is hard". It'd be one thing if these bad games had a couple major issues that if resolved would have led to something decent. However 90% of the time they're beyond help and shouldn't have been made.

That said I still enjoy playing them. Bioerosion almost makes me want to buy it just because it's that bad. I'm not so sure about Vale though. "Sexy" poser-models freak me the heck out.

Corrupted - Not too bad so far. Trial shouldn't end before the tutorial though, that's bad form.

There's also this JPN game that just came out. I thought it was going to be some bad-art Castlevania clone but it's actually a first person dungeon game. It's all in Japanese so good luck with that. It's easy to play though, just press the A button to move forward, good/bad things happen randomly, QTE-based battles, and there's a shop for improving stats. I guess you play it until you make sense of it and...I dunno.

Joshery

Neo Member
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Bioerosion - SHIT
Incident at Dreamy Vale Church - SHIT

Make all the excuses you want indie-devs. I've played games on the XBL indie service that more than rival major releases. It blows my mind when absolute garbage is put out but people white-knight it with "oh come on it's two or three guys, what do you expect?" and "making games is hard". It'd be one thing if these bad games had a couple major issues that if resolved would have led to something decent. However 90% of the time they're beyond help and shouldn't have been made.

Agreed! We weren't making excuses. We would love for you to judge the game based on its gameplay, and overall quality, not based on how many people took to make it, and whether or not you might think it's a rip-off of another game. We're trying to resolve all of the major issues with Pissed! Fish, we've polished it up. We hope that it does rival major releases!!

<name>
Joshery
</name>

Joshery

Neo Member
NeoNess said:
I'll demo the game when it comes out and give it a fair chance.

Only if you cut back on your usage of !'s.

It's a deal... I'd push to get it taken out of the title... but the art "team" might not take too kindly to that request.

Top Bottom