• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One has Bluray drive, 8GB ram, 8 core CPU 500GB HDD, 3 Operating systems

Klocker

Not sure if posted anywhere. Its hard wading through all the BS...

Wired reports that EVERY game gets dedicated servers on Xbox One http://bit.ly/10jhTLB (via @oneofswords)

"Right Click > View Image" for full version

https://twitter.com/JamesStevenson/s...55409187348482

Quote:
Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

that's pretty damned big news... also missed in the people over reacting today was that including in those 300,000 servers is a NEw MS smart matchmaking, that can search for matches while you do something else on your machine and find better matches.

JaggedSac

This seems like a mess of a software implementation. Why not just one core OS that can handle gaming and other multimedia.

Actually, it seems quite elegant. MS has some nice VM solutions already, this one is just a very specific implementation where the system knows there are 2 and always 2 VMs and they are always the same, which is different than a general VM environment. So they could remove the generalization cruft and are left with what the Xbox One has. Only thing I am really disappointed in this presentation(since I already resigned myself to the majority of the games related stuff being relegated to E3) is that one tweet where it was mentioned there was no independent publishing of games. I hope this is a misunderstanding and they have a marketplace for games, but since the OS for games is different than the ones for apps, this might be the case.

Jburton

Banned
that's pretty damned big news... also missed in the people over reacting today was that including in those 300,000 servers is a NEw MS smart matchmaking, that can search for matches while you do something else on your machine and find better matches.

Dedicated servers (or lack of) is not the only thing that restricts player size in multiplayer ....... large amounts of players in online strains CPU.

128 players is very unlikely on on low powered $300 laptop processors.

Zoator

Don't do this to yourself.

I actually believe he's correct, and it makes more sense from Sony's standpoint. I already argued why this is at length in another thread, so I don't have the will to do it here again. But basically it comes down to Sony responding to competition from MS by increasing their RAM pool from 4GB to 8GB. They knew MS was going to reserve 3GB for the OS, allowing them to do all of this fast switching between applications and services, and more integrated application support in general. Since they already had the graphical advantage with a more powerful GPU and high memory bandwidth, it makes the most sense from a competitive standpoint to ensure that their system can counter any advantage that MS may have.

Jburton

Banned
I actually believe he's correct, and it makes more sense from Sony's standpoint. I already argued why this is at length in another thread, so I don't have the will to do it here again. But basically it comes down to Sony responding to competition from MS by increasing their RAM pool from 4GB to 8GB. They knew MS was going to reserve 3GB for the OS, allowing them to do all of this fast switching between applications and services, and more integrated application support in general. Since they already had the graphical advantage with a more powerful GPU and high memory bandwidth, it makes the most sense from a competitive standpoint to ensure that their system can counter any advantage that MS may have.

You have stated this point in other threads about a larger RAM allocation for the PS4 OS ....... you are against the grain on this.

xaosslug

thats wrong, I hope atleast that gaf member gets permed too. Reiko made some bad threads but to egg it on or PM false info is just as bad.

it's one thing to tell someone something in PM that you know is a lie (I'm not condoning what the other member did, but lying to someone in private is not bannable), it's a whole 'nother to take that info and broadcast it to the rest of the forum to gain some cred. Reiko should have calmed his tits.

Klocker

Dedicated servers (or lack of) is not the only thing that restricts player size in multiplayer ....... large amounts of players in online strains CPU.

128 players is very unlikely on on low powered $300 laptop processors.

Cloud computing on Xbox One is what will allow that

Codeblew

3 GB for Linux? Sounds pretty bloated to me. Max I could see would be 2....

It is very bloated for Linux. I run xubuntu on virtualbox on my XP machine at work. The VM is only allocated 876MB of ram. When I first boot in, I have 75-80% of ram free. So yeah...

i-Lo

Man this cloud computing kool aid is growing like a vine. It'll be interesting to see the facts from fiction down the line. Also, with aid of Gaikai it's not out of the realm of possibility for PS4 to follow suit. But in the end, the promises being made seem far too lofty and it will drive a divide in user base down the line esp. if integrated into offline experiences to artificially enforce always online integration.

Hex

Banned
I actually know the answer, but there has been enough meltdowns today.

I hope everyone who pulls shit like this smacks into Reiko's ass on the way out the door.
Seriously, all of you wanna be *wink wink* "I know something look at me" types are seriously tedious and what...just to get some board kids all hot and bothered "tell me tell me".
Just stop.

Shayan

Banned
Damn that's fucked up. He even asked to reach out to me to say he never meant any harm.
didn't know he was being spoon fed bullshit. Wish he let one of the mods know what was going on at the time. He was warned though

well, the guy had a great sense of humor . I was in a same boat as him regarding e3/ps4 ram but i had concrete info from my clients

Which mod do i PM to have the ban uplifted on Reiko?

mr2xxx

Banned
On the panel after the reveal... They started talking about the whole "cloud computing" thing and how it's supposed to supplement whatever XO already does...

How much would that affect games? Is it gonna increase raw performance or something?

I just realized if every game started to use it for extra power it would make every game on line only.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, what the fuck has that got to do with it?

Cloud ... lol.

I love how people really think the "cloud" is going to improve system performance down the road. I feel like we've gone backwards 10 - 15 years where people believed this voodoo magic.

"Hey kids, don't worry about specs now, you will download a better GPU down the road! yay cloud!"

Zoator

You have stated this point in other threads about a larger RAM allocation for the PS4 OS ....... you are against the grain on this.

I'm aware that it's not what gamers want Sony to do per se, but if you think about it it just makes more sense. We're talking about 5GB vs. 7GB available for games. You would see diminishing returns between those two numbers, especially considering the CPU and GPU the PS4 is equipped with (if it had a GTX 690 and we were talking about rendering at 1440p, it would be a different story). So why add the cost to the console of 8GB of RAM? If they just wanted to match the quantity MS was using for games, they could have used 6GB, and reserved 1GB for the OS. However, they decided to go with 8GB, and logically, given the direction of their only direct competitor, there is more value to allocating additional resources to the OS than there is to allocating them towards games, where the additional resources would result in minor graphical improvements at best.

Jburton

Banned
I love how people really think the "cloud" is going to improve system performance down the road. I feel like we've gone backwards 10 - 15 years where people believed this voodoo magic.

"Hey kids, don't worry about specs now, you will download a better GPU down the road! yay cloud!"

Clueless I think is the word.

Hex

Banned

The ram allotment for the PS4 OS and how much is open for devs is already known.
They are not going to go back and weaken themselves now after all of the dev community was gushing.

Who is he?

Him: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=19543

"I've read the 12 Gigs of RAM rumor before on GAF, and someone said "dev unit", but the fact is that the 360 dev units, had the same amount of RAM as the 360 for years, and it wasn't until 2008 that the 1GB dev unit was introduced. I've never read a rumor saying that MS is mad at AMD though. People are getting better with their pastebin bullshit now by pulling stuff that's been mentioned before and throwing their own spin.
I am confused."

"If I knew something like Reiko, I'd keep the hype low for maximum crow eating."

I am confused, indeed. LOL!

Codeblew

Man this cloud computing kool aid is growing like a vine. It'll be interesting to see the facts from fiction down the line. Also, with aid of Gaikai it's not out of the realm of possibility for PS4 to follow suit. But in the end, the promises being made seem far too lofty and it will drive a divide in user base down the line esp. if integrated into offline experiences to artificially enforce always online integration.

Yeah, basically "cloud" is just a buzzword to impress/deceive non-technical people. As a technical person, I don't trust anybody that uses the cloud term seriously.

MechDX

I just realized if every game started to use it for extra power it would make every game on line only.

skynet_anim.gif

goldenpp72

Perhaps it will just be limited to games with multiplayer, so battlefield online can use it for larger scale maps or player counts, is that probable?

i-Lo

As close as you were?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=43932120#post43932120

Be lucky you were one of those "insiders" that didn't get perm'd.

Looking at my post directly underneath, I find myself to be correct yet again :)

Him: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=19543

"I've read the 12 Gigs of RAM rumor before on GAF, and someone said "dev unit", but the fact is that the 360 dev units, had the same amount of RAM as the 360 for years, and it wasn't until 2008 that the 1GB dev unit was introduced. I've never read a rumor saying that MS is mad at AMD though. People are getting better with their pastebin bullshit now by pulling stuff that's been mentioned before and throwing their own spin.
I am confused."

"If I knew something like Reiko, I'd keep the hype low for maximum crow eating."

I am confused, indeed. LOL!

Ah, thank you.

sdornan

Agreed.

nib95

Banned
Woah, Proelite, you were bonkers off on this one.

Piecing little bits and pieces that I heard,

Orbis:

Customized Kaveri APU with > 1 teraflop
2-4GB of DDR4

Audio DSP

Customized Sea Island discrete GPU 2-3 teraflops
1-2GB GDDR5

ARM + PowerVr SOC (Apps and OS only)
2GB LDDR3

The Arm SOC allows for easy porting of both Vita and mobile games.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
IANAL, but how can a gig just be in limbo like that? A reserve is reserved by its very definition, is it not? Somebody is having a laugh.

Jburton

Banned
Perhaps it will just be limited to games with multiplayer, so battlefield online can use it for larger scale maps or player counts, is that probable?

What are you talking about?

Cloud computing will make the console faster, stronger, better?

Please stop, no something on the other end of the internet can not make your machine work better.

Klocker

people are also underestimating the ESRAM and bandwidth which are being discussed as having been upgraded...not to mention the move engines and keeping the processors fed which are part of the efficiency of how the machine wil work in real world to keep up with PS4 games.

fallagin

IANAL, but how can a gig just be in limbo like that? A reserve is reserved by its very definition, is it not? Somebody is having a laugh.

They can lower the amount reserved with firmware updates. The first software will be limited by this but future software could benefit from lowered reserved amount. Sony did this with the ps3, I think microsoft also did this with their 360.

StevieP

Banned
Only that one has a real force behind it, and the other is mostly useless.

Sure, but 8GB of memory doesn't make a 1.8tf GPU outperform a 4TF GPU, as some people wanted to make in reference to current high end PC GPUs.

It was a talking point that many don't understand, just as "The Cloud" is a talking point. The difference is that obviously the GDDR5 is a physical component of the machine lol

Jburton

Banned
people are also underestimating the ESRAM and bandwidth which are being discussed as having been upgraded...not to mention the move engines and keeping the processors fed which are part of the efficiency of how the machine wil work in real world to keep up with PS4 games.

Lol, 3gb OS and all the rest of the bloat ...... efficient?

Move engines ...... Christ!

Zoator

The ram allotment for the PS4 OS and how much is open for devs is already known.
They are not going to go back and weaken themselves now after all of the dev community was gushing.

Is it? I thought the 7GB for games rumor was just something reported by a site called PS4Daily without a direct quotation or any sources. Have we heard from any actual developers what this number is? We know Killzone is using about 4.5GB, and I don't think any of the other developers have spoken in much technical depth.

Top Bottom