• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One has Bluray drive, 8GB ram, 8 core CPU 500GB HDD, 3 Operating systems

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
PS4's architecture is so good, it could easily be the blade server that PS3 always tried hard to be. Team Sony have outdone themselves this time, men. Bring on the Gaikai Cloud.

Klocker

Agree with JohnnySasakis theory. In the end I don't believe Microsofts 5 billion transistor ESram/DDR3 is significantly cheaper to produce than Sonys 3 billion transistor GDDR5 solution. MS even had to resort to 40nm for launch. I'm expecting Sony to announce 28nm at E3.

that was a mistake, AMD confirmed they are using 28nm to pcmag

PandaBoy

I have my deepest sympathies for him.

Just like him, we are all here to socialize and share our joys with each other in this hobby that we all enjoy and cherish. I do not believe he had any malice or ill-intent in talking up the stuff that he did. He was simply overzealous in his enthusiasm and became easily fooled because of that, he is regretful and disappointed. He was not trying to mislead anybody. That is what I gather from his subsequent posts at B3D. We can all become a bit blinded in regard to certain things that we love. There is nothing wrong with that.

It is unfair to permaban him in this circumstance IMO, I think it is excessive. A lesser ban would have sufficed. There is nothing more painful than to be banished permanently from a community that you love especially in this kind of circumstances.

HooYaH

I have my deepest sympathies for him.

Just like him, we are all here to socialize and share our joys with each other in this hobby that we all enjoy and cherish. I do not believe he had any malice or ill-intent in talking up the stuff that he did. He was simply overzealous in his enthusiasm and became easily fooled because of that, he is regretful and disappointed. He was not trying to mislead anybody. That is what I gather from his subsequent posts at B3D. We can all become a bit blinded in regard to certain things that we love. There is nothing wrong with that.

It is unfair to permaban him in this circumstance IMO, I think it is excessive. A lesser ban would have sufficed. There is nothing more painful than to be banished permanently from a community that you love especially in this kind of circumstances.

I agree. A week is fine but perma is quite harsh.

Piggus

:(

#TeamUnbanReiko

that was a mistake, AMD confirmed they are using 28nm to pcmag

Even if it were 40 nm, it's the 90 nm chips that had heat issues in PS3 and 360. The 65 and 40 nm chips that followed were significantly cooler. 28 nm pretty much eliminates the chances of heat-related issues (unless their cooling system is totally useless) but it tends to be totally unsuspecting things that cause problems, such as the PS2's DVD drive problems or the laser diode issues in PS3.

artist

Banned
It's a little strange that Microsoft didn't try and go with a split pool architecture.

Say, 2-4 GB of GDDR4 + 4 GB of DDR3 for their non-gaming applications.
It might have been one of the iterations in the early stages but could have been scrapped based on developer feedback? I assume that Microsoft did their own feedback sessions with devs similar to what Sony did.

I agree. A week is fine but perma is quite harsh.
He was banned multiple times before. He didnt learn anything from it. He was warned multiple times before for believing people (TALES FROM ASS) and yet he didnt learn from it. On top of that he continued the insider rhetoric (wink, wink, cryptic posts - in a few days everything SHALL BE CLEAR!!1) and he also knew that was highly frowned upon. Basically he knew where it was all headed. (Also if you believe godhandiscen an insider then bish is Santa :p)

Ahasverus

He was banned multiple times before. He didnt learn anything from it. He was warned multiple times before for believing people (TALES FROM ASS) and yet he didnt learn from it. On top of that he continued the insider rhetoric (wink, wink, cryptic posts - in a few days everything SHALL BE CLEAR!!1) and he also knew that was highly frowned upon. Basically he knew where it was all headed. (Also if you believe godhandiscen an insider then bish is Santa :p)

godhandiscen is the real villain here. He got the right person to trick. I know Reiko was annoying sometimes but he was good intended. I think a X months ban would teach him the lesson. But it's ok, life goes on :p

Skyzard

Banned
I wonder if they're going to try and use "three operating systems" as some sort of marketing point...

And the functioning heart rate monitor. They've been using multi-platform Cod as a system selling point for the whole of last gen basically. MS is mostly smoke and mirrors...but it works :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does the blu-ray drive play movies?

I'd assume so. Microsoft would have needed to obtain a license to use Blu-ray as the optical storage format, so movie playback seems like a sure thing. Plus, for as much fuss MS has made over streaming services, the Xbox can't be expected to be the one device your living room needs without support for the HD format of choice.

Jal

I'd assume so. Microsoft would have needed to obtain a license to use Blu-ray as the optical storage format, so movie playback seems like a sure thing.

Oh, i thought the license was to play movies but you could use blu-ray otherwise.

artist

Banned
So it's true, Santa is real.
Naughty or Nice?

3 operating systems? can someone link me to info on this?
Here you go;
Brief details were also given of the software side of things. The Xbox One is described as running three operating systems. There's a long-running Windows 8-based operating system used for running applications, browsing the Web, Skype, and similar roles; a second operating system for running games; and a hypervisor that virtualizes the hardware and switches between the two. The long-running partition is also used for some system management tasks, such as running the Kinect software portions and performing matchmaking while you watch a video.

This hypervisor is based on Microsoft's Hyper-V virtualization platform but simplified to remove extraneous features that are irrelevant to a games console; the software is specialized because it runs fixed-role, fixed operating system virtual machines.

The application partition boots when the system is turned on and runs persistently, even when in-game. This is what enables things like Snap view, where apps and games or TV run side-by-side. The game partition, in contrast, gets rebooted each time a new game is started.

To ensure high-speed switching between the operating systems, each virtual machine draws to its own (virtual) screen all the time. The hypervisor can switch between screens essentially instantly, allowing fast task-switching.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...xbox-ones-internals-while-disclosing-nothing/

Yeah. Dude was pressing his luck constantly. He was warned multiple times by many GAFers including me for believing everything he heard and repeating silly rumors that couldn't possibly be true. He was also warned straight up by at least one mod. At one point, he got a tag for posting some ridiculously shitty rumor, and somehow got another chance, and somehow got rid of it.

I think the incident with the tag may have emboldened him further. A shame, considering it's pretty remarkable to get a tag like that and be able to somehow talk your way out of it.

He never seemed like a bad guy. But you can't be that reckless, especially when mods set down edicts.

Sorral

He did talk about cloud/shared computing. And then Internet and particularly Xbox fans crucified him over it for years.

Fan forward to 2013, now Xbox fans hopes and dreams lay within the cloud.

This is so true. Ken actually wanted to do all of that and connect the PS3s in a similar way to Folding@home.
I remember reading that the PS3 had all the extra ports for many reasons including the above. Been a while though.

6gNKhPXZxJjWBfttfiVOkBLtFJr6X.jpg

I would actually say they both cost about the same. I would say MS memory situation and added motherboard complexity is more expensive, but is mostly canceled out by Sony's beefier GPU. I wouldn't be surprised if MS solution is a little bit more expensive. If it is indeed 40nm, MS would be the more expensive of the two. Looking at the cooling(whole right size is vents) and size of this machine, it might make some sense that it is indeed 40nm...

edit: Its going to be interesting to see how Sony's machine compares size wise. We haven't had any confirmation that its 28nm yet have we? Is 32nm a possibility?

I am really curious how big the PS4 will be now to be honest. The XBO isn't small and as you said, lots of vents and a big fan. But both of them should be 28nm as Wired was wrong about the 40nm on XBO.

Also, I think Kinect negates pretty much any price advantage XBO may have had over the PS4 as MS will include one in every box (and no headset included.)

Yeah. Dude was pressing his luck constantly. He was warned multiple times by many GAFers including me for believing everything he heard and repeating silly rumors that couldn't possibly be true. He was also warned straight up by at least one mod. At one point, he got a tag for posting some ridiculously shitty rumor, and somehow got another chance, and somehow got rid of it.

I think the incident with the tag may have emboldened him further. A shame, considering it's pretty remarkable to get a tag like that and be able to somehow talk your way out of it.

Yeah, I remember the tag change and all that. Sadly, he just kept on digging his own hole deeper and deeper.

JawzPause

Can someone explain to me how much of a difference there will be between PS4 8GB GDDR5 ram & Xbox One 8GB DDR3? Will it be so big of a difference that the average person would realise it?

Sorral

so what the hell is the size of the Kinect? it look almost as big as the X1

http://kotaku.com/how-big-is-the-xbox-one-lets-find-out-509175469

The MacBook Air is 12.8 inches (32.5 cm) wide.
The PS3 Slim is 11.42 inches (29.0068 cm) wide.

I guess the Kinect is just about as wide as well.

Can someone explain to me how much of a difference there will be between PS4 8GB GDDR5 ram & Xbox One 8GB DDR3? Will it be so big of a difference that the average person would realise it?

In short, the difference, if used, will be noticeable and it is not small imo.

Note how I said "if used" as some developers may try to keep the differences between two console versions to minimum regardless of the power difference (happened this generation).
For exclusives, I think there will be quite a difference as the PS4's GPU has 18 CU's (Computational Units) in the GPU while the XBO's has 12 plus the slower DDR3 and ESRAM combo.
According to rumors, the PS4 should also have 7GB available for games while the XBO has 5GB due to the OS taking 3GB(confirmed). I don't think this will affect us early on.

jaosobno

The MacBook Air is 12.8 inches (32.5 cm) wide.

Note how I said "if used" as some developers may try to keep the differences between two console versions to minimum regardless of the power difference (happened this generation).
For exclusives, I think there will be quite a difference as the PS4's GPU has 18 CU's (Computational Units) in the GPU while the XBO's has 12 plus the slower DDR3 and ESRAM combo.
According to rumors, the PS4 should also have 7GB available for games while the XBO has 5GB due to the OS taking 3GB(confirmed). I don't think this will affect us early on.

It will most likely be used. PS4 development has been confirmed as an easy and pleasant experience, not to mention PS4 has very PC-like architecture, so PC ports (or vice versa) should be quite easy to do.

PS4 or PC will become a new lead platform and it's probably X1 that will get ports this time around.

Of course, the difference can't simply be viewed through the RAM lens, you have to take the entire system into consideration.

PS4 will most likely feature 1080p resolution for most of its lifetime, while X1 is more likely to fall into sub-1080p category quite often. Implementations of dynamic framebuffer could become a new standard on X1 as a form of framerate salvation. AA levels will also be lower, and if devs decide to use FXAA instead of other, prettier but more expensive forms of AA, X1 games could appear blurrier on X1 due to the way that FXAA works. Texture filtering levels will also be lower than on PS4.

Overall, in next gen we will see reversal of the roles; Sony's console will feature prettier multiplatform titles with higher (or at least more stable) framerate, while Microsoft's console will receive ports of lower quality (due to hardware limitations).

Sorral

It will most likely be used. PS4 development has been confirmed as easy and pleasant experience, not to mention PS4 has very PC-like architecture so PC ports (or vice versa) should be quite easy to do.

PS4 or PC will become a new lead platform and it's probably X1 that will get ports this time around.

Of course, the difference can't simply be viewed through the RAM lens, you have to take the entire system into consideration.

PS4 will most likely feature more constant 1080p resolution, while X1 is more likely to fall into sub-1080p category quite often. Implementations of dynamic framebuffer could become a new standard on X1 as a form of framerate salvation. AA levels will also be lower, and if devs decide to use FXAA instead of other, prettier but more expensive forms of AA, X1 games could appear blurrier on X1 due to the way that FXAA works.

Overall, in next gen we will see reversal of the roles; Sony's console will feature prettier multiplatform titles with higher (or at least more stable) framerate, while Microsoft's console will receive ports of lower quality.

Was trying to be as objective as possible with my earlier post.

I agree entirely with yours though and really do hope that we don't get the short end of the stick just because XBO is significantly weaker this time around (and MS got shit policies on having parities or so they say). The DVD disc size was shit in last generation.

has microsoft explained the benefit of using the windows 8 based os? any windows apps that can be easily ported or even natively run? any indie-like development that could be ported over?

Madness

It will most likely be used. PS4 development has been confirmed as an easy and pleasant experience, not to mention PS4 has very PC-like architecture, so PC ports (or vice versa) should be quite easy to do.

PS4 will most likely feature 1080p resolution for most of its lifetime, while X1 is more likely to fall into sub-1080p category quite often. Implementations of dynamic framebuffer could become a new standard on X1 as a form of framerate salvation. AA levels will also be lower, and if devs decide to use FXAA instead of other, prettier but more expensive forms of AA, X1 games could appear blurrier on X1 due to the way that FXAA works. Texture filtering levels will also be lower than on PS4.

Overall, in next gen we will see reversal of the roles; Sony's console will feature prettier multiplatform titles with higher (or at least more stable) framerate, while Microsoft's console will receive ports of lower quality (due to hardware limitations).

Can you also explain in layman's terms why it was that devs developed for xbox 360 this gen and not ps3 despite it being more powerful or capable? What I mean is, what's necessarily changed, that most devs would prefer to pick Sony's console this time. I'm genuinely curious. Plus, would Microsoft be able to 'persuade' devs or studios to make the xbox one the leading console in development? I mean it already seems like EA and Activision are more excited about XBOne and it's no used games, always online stuff.

3 operating systems? can someone link me to info on this?

Basically:

1) Game OS
2) Win RT UI OS
3) Hyper-V to link them and do uber fast switching of state (and possibly moving stuff to tablets/phones/PCs)

It is a pretty impressive OS setup... certainly way beyond what a console has done up until today. The Hyper V thing would even enable later hardware revisions with better/different hardware.

has microsoft explained the benefit of using the windows 8 based os? any windows apps that can be easily ported or even natively run? any indie-like development that could be ported over?

Not yet... but expect full support for this.

jaosobno

Can you also explain in layman's terms why it was that devs developed for xbox 360 this gen and not ps3 despite it being more powerful or capable? What I mean is, what's necessarily changed, that most devs would prefer to pick Sony's console this time. I'm genuinely curious. Plus, would Microsoft be able to 'persuade' devs or studios to make the xbox one the leading console in development? I mean it already seems like EA and Activision are more excited about XBOne and it's no used games, always online stuff.

In simplest terms, X360 had the following advantages:

- simpler architecture
- better development tools

Developing on X360 first and then porting to PS3 was easier and less time consuming for most devs.

I guess Microsoft could buy their way into X1 being lead console (and probably will do so at least in the case of COD), however, for most devs, it will all come down to development costs and time. X1 seems more complex (with its split pools and Move Engines) than PS4 so devs will have to spend more time (and more time=more money) working on it. This fact alone should push most devs towards PS4 (or PC). Porting is always less expensive and less time consuming than the initial development.

In simplest terms, X360 had the following advantages:

- simpler architecture
- better development tools

Developing on X360 first and then porting to PS3 was easier and less time consuming for most devs.

I guess Microsoft could buy their way into X1 being lead console (and probably will do so at least in the case of COD), however, for most devs, it will all come down to development costs and time. X1 seems more complex (with its split pools and Move Engines) than PS4 so devs will have to spend more time (and more time=more money) working on it. This fact alone should push most devs towards PS4 (or PC). Porting is always less expensive and less time consuming than the initial development.

Not so. X1/Pc will be main platform. The dev tools are just miles ahead, this will not change.

jaosobno

Not so. X1/Pc will be main platform. The dev tools are just miles ahead, this will not change.

Please explain the bolded part. In what way are Microsoft's dev tools "miles ahead"? Are you aware that Sony's PS4 tools run on Windows 7 (x64) and that their shader language is integrated into Visual Studio 2010/2012?

So do explain to me (and to the others), in what way is Microsoft superior when it comes to dev tools?

KidBeta

Please explain the bolded part. In what way are Microsoft's dev tools "miles ahead"? Are you aware that Sony's PS4 tools run on Windows 7 (x64) and that their shader language is integrated into Visual Studio 2010/2012?

So do explain to me (and to the others), in what way is Microsoft superior when it comes to dev tools?

Id like to know this too. With both going x86, compilers are well mature and other tools should be much less of a problem for Sony.

JawzPause

Thanks for the summary. I hope 3rd party devs do actually make use of the extra ram on PS4. PS4 should not have to dumb down because XBO lower specs.

But anyhow, I'm sure first party Sony devs will demonstrate how effective the extra and faster ram will be.

Yes I know Sony tools.

There is a bit more to developing games that having your shader tool run in VS.

You need source control, unit testing, support, documentation, stress testing, really good emulators, very good debuggers, optimized compilers.... and ofc a whole lot of content tools (but these nowadays are covered by third parties anyway).

The fact that Sony picked a PC architecture will indeed help them a lot since a lot of these things are available in one form or another without them having to develop them themselves, but the X1 dev platform is just integrated much better with everything. You get everything "out of the box".

The Killzone guys were even writing their own debuggers to check the load balancing on the different cores. It might be fun to do that, but it is a waste of time for most devs, MS does that for you.

80% of devs that I know, would rather pick X1/PC as main platform just for those reasons and managers would probably ALL pick X1/PC because of less time wasted.

Drek

Thanks for the summary. I hope 3rd party devs do actually make use of the extra ram on PS4. PS4 should not have to dumb down because XBO lower specs.

But anyhow, I'm sure first party Sony devs will demonstrate how effective the extra and faster ram will be.

The net hardware gap is too large for third parties not to take advantage of it. If they pass it up Sony's first party titles and any third party titles that do make an effort will smoke them.

I said before that if MS' rumored specs were true I'd expect this generation to see everyone primarily working on PC and we'll effectively have the tiered settings we already see on PC targeted at the consoles. Early in the generation we'll probably see their target for "middle" settings as something that will run on the XB1, high as something that will run on PS4, and very high/ultra as top tier PC only. By the end of the generation XB1 will be the low setting target, PS4 will be the middle setting target, and PC builds will be the focus of both high and very high/ultra with next generation systems' being able to achieve the very high/ultra of that period as the target goal.

Drek

80% of devs that I know, would rather pick X1/PC as main platform just for those reasons and managers would probably ALL pick X1/PC because of less time wasted.
That's great but neither environment is final. One has weaker hardware that involves more complex manipulations to control, multiple OS, less available ram as a result, and holds you further away from the metal. The other was designed by a guy who's been a game design consultant for over two decades with the specific intent of making it easy for developers to work with it. I think assuming that there is no room for a paradigm shift here is being more than a bit obtuse.

jaosobno

Yes I know Sony tools.

There is a bit more to developing games that having your shader tool run in VS.

You need source control, unit testing, support, documentation, stress testing, really good emulators, very good debuggers, optimized compilers.... and ofc a whole lot of content tools (but these nowadays are covered by third parties anyway).

The fact that Sony picked a PC architecture will indeed help them a lot since a lot of these things are available in one form or another without them having to develop them themselves, but the X1 dev platform is just integrated much better with everything. You get everything "out of the box".

The Killzone guys were even writing their own debuggers to check the load balancing on the different cores. It might be fun to do that, but it is a waste of time for most devs, MS does that for you.

This is not what I asked you. Again, why are Microsoft's tools better? Are you saying that Sony sucks at "source control, unit testing, support, documentation, stress testing, really good emulators, very good debuggers, optimized compilers". If they do, they why? Give me precise examples, not some vague expressions.

If you don't know and this was just another "Tales from my ass" episode, then say so and let's be done with this.

Oh and which studios are among those 80% of developers which would so easily choose X1? Gosh darn, you must be pretty popular among devs, you seem to know so many!

I'm not sure if it was posted here, but it was posted on B3D that there was statement confirming "768 operations/cycle" which would align with the leaked 12 compute units from VGLeaks?

Hindle

Banned
I wasn't really interested in the specs, but I'm glad they have Blue Ray. It's the only thing I miss from my PS3. Watching Avengers on DVD was terrible.

Top Bottom