• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Miles X

I put the scores PS4 and WiiU got from the verge on one image to compare. Where do you think Xbox One will replace in respective category's?

Here are the reviews for both if anybody wants to read, they're quite in depth.

Verge PS4 Review - 7.7

Verge WiiU Review - 7.0

VergeConsoleComparison_zpsf2cb05db.png

FordGTGuy

Banned
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717986

Yuck. I think I'll be staying in here, you guys.

LOL the idea that you can't be a true gaming machine while having other great features is just silly.

I guess my PC isn't a good gaming machine because I can basically do anything on it, or my cell phone isn't a good phone because it does a lot more than just call people.

What a joke, it's been months since that debate started and it is just looking like people being salty that the Xbox One has these extra features.

Probably somewhere in the middle.

Might be a lot closer than you think, the Xbox One is definitely winning in gaming selection with major exclusives, it will handily win in heat and noise, it will definitely win software and probably score the same or better on controls.

Justin

I put the scores PS4 and WiiU got from the verge on one image to compare. Where do you think Xbox One will replace in respective category's?

I have a felling for a lot of reviews and write-ups it will come down to how well the voice control and the Kinect UI features work. If voice control and things like Kinect recognition only work "some of the time" then it is going to get destroyed in write ups and reviews.

Miles X

LOL the idea that you can't be a true gaming machine while having other great features is just silly.

I guess my PC isn't a good gaming machine because I can basically do anything on it, or my cell phone isn't a good phone because it does a lot more than just call people.

What a joke, it's been months since that debate started and it is just looking like people being salty that the Xbox One has these extra features.

Might be a lot closer than you think, the Xbox One is definitely winning in gaming selection with major exclusives, it will handily win in heat and noise, it will definitely win software and probably score the same or better on controls.

Indeed.

Design: May fall down for being bulky, but as people have said in the thread here (maybe we're bias :p) it's actually quite beautiful and well crafted.

Software: Hands down One will win here, the OS is on another level to WiiU and PS4.

Game Selection: Should be on par with WiiU, if they score well, could be above.

Controls: On par with PS4, only the bumpers seem to be letting it down, and Verge seemed incredibly impressed with DS4 and said they like it more than XB1.

Performance: We'll have to wait and see.

Heat & Noise: On par with WiiU? Seems fine.

I have a felling for a lot of reviews and write-ups it will come down to how well the voice control and the Kinect UI features work. If voice control and things like Kinect recognition only work "some of the time" then it is going to get destroyed in write ups and reviews.

That's very true, even without the voice control and kinect though the Xbox OS is still ahead of PS4's and WiiU's.

CLEEK

Here are the reviews for both if anybody wants to read, they're quite in depth.

Verge PS4 Review - 7.7

Verge WiiU Review - 7.0

VergeConsoleComparison_zpsf2cb05db.png

Not in relation to these scores, but I find the notion of reviewing and scoring games consoles bizarre, due to how fluid they are and how firmware updates can make them unrecognisable from their initial form.

What are you actually reviewing? The quality of the launch games, the current feature set of the initial firmware and the controller etc. Only the hardware will stay the same over the course of the life of the console.

Miles X

Not in relation to these scores, but I find the notion of reviewing and scoring games consoles bizarre, due to how fluid they are and how firmware updates can make them unrecognisable from their initial form.

What are you actually reviewing? The quality of the launch games, the current feature set of the initial firmware and the controller etc. Only the hardware will stay the same over the course of the life of the console.

Yeah they've mentioned that (quite aggressively in the comments!) they're reviewing the 'here and now' as it stands today.

And even that is fluid. The heat and noise will be reduced later this gen.

GavinGT

Banned
Despite the thread title, the op is mostly even handed. i figured it would get locked soon though.

Yeah, on second read, there are plenty of level-headed posts. And the OP is fine aside from the title. But some of the posts just make me glad that there's finally an Xbox thread not dominated by the same ad-nauseam arguments.

FordGTGuy

Banned
And even that is fluid. The heat and noise will be reduced later this gen.

Xbox One is said to be inaudible when doing anything but playing a game which is also very low(not surprising considering the size of the fan.). From what we've heard from people with hands-on that after 9+ hours of running at event it was only a little warm and same with the powerbrick.

It's more likely we will see small rather than less noise and heat considering they seem to have been dealt with from the beginning here.

REV 09

Yeah, on second read, there are plenty of level-headed posts. And the OP is fine aside from the title. But some of the posts just make me glad that there's finally an Xbox thread not dominated by the same ad-nauseam arguments.
Very much agree. It's like it was a sin to be excited for xbox one around here for most of the year. Things seem to have come back to reality though now that the consoles are coming out and the time for speculation/rumors has ended.

Miles X

Xbox One is said to be inaudible when doing anything but playing a game which is also very low(not surprising considering the size of the fan.). From what we've heard from people with hands-on that after 9+ hours of running at event it was only a little warm and same with the powerbrick.

It's more likely we will see small rather than less noise and heat considering they seem to have been dealt with from the beginning here.

So looking forward to quiet gaming. My 360 slim broke in March and when it came back for repairs it sounded worse than the launch 360's.

Very much agree. It's like it was a sin to be excited for xbox one around here for most of the year. Things seem to have come back to reality though now that the consoles are coming out and the time for speculation/rumors has ended.

I remember some douchbag calling me selfish for buying an Xbox One and that I should buy a PS4 and think of other gamers instead of myself.

EBE

has anyone received email confirmation of games shipping if you ordered off the MS store? looks like ive already been charged for the three games im getting (ryse, forza, dead rising) but I haven't been emailed yet. confirmation of my console happened two days ago. im not worried or anything, just asking.

GavinGT

Banned

Yeah, that's the advantage of a bigger fan - doesn't need to spin as fast to produce the same cooling. And if the system starts running hotter than normal, there's still plenty of room to crank the fan speed up higher.

I expect it to be audible while playing games most of the time, but not distractingly so.

mozfan12

Banned
I think it's fine to criticize the Xbox, policies, etc, but I'm definitely glad that there is now a thread where we can actually discuss games. The extreme negativity, cinicism, and the drive by posts in every single Xbox One thread made discussion almost impossible.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I think it's fine to criticize the Xbox, policies, etc, but I'm definitely glad that there is now a thread where we can actually discuss games. The extreme negativity, cinicism, and the drive by posts in every single Xbox One thread made discussion almost impossible.

My problem with the gaming community right now is they have no problem criticizing the faults of Microsoft and the Xbox One but they seem to have a hard time praising what they've been doing right.

I don't think anyone has tried to say criticism is wrong but criticism is a strong tool and should be used in a positive manner that helps improve the situation.

If that's the case then I hope they at least take their time calibrating it.

On 360 calibrating it properly makes the difference into working really well to not work at all.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My problem with the gaming community right now is they have no problem criticizing the faults of Microsoft and the Xbox One but they seem to have a hard time praising what they've been doing right.

I don't think anyone has tried to say criticism is wrong but criticism is a strong tool and should be used in a positive manner that helps improve the situation.

I was dumbfounded by a post that said how they were happy and it was awesome to see the DF Dead Rising 3 thread. Like, actively hoping the games turn out poorly. That is a completely toxic mindset I could never understand.

There's certainly a lot to not be a fan of, but there's a line where it gets insane.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member

That and the over criticizing everything doesn't go both ways.

It's limited flash support. Approved sites etc. It's sort of like IE metro in Win8.

IE metro no longer has approved sites, now it works with everything by default and has a black list for the ones it won't.

I don't play browser games, but every video service I tried worked flawlessly on metro IE.

If the xbone IE is build upon IE metro then we are in for a really good browsing experience.

mozfan12

Banned

I understand where your coming from, but I was here when PS3 first came out, and it got a lot of shit for the 599 price point,the whole crazy Ken quotes about having two jobs to buy a PS3 . These things come and go. I think once the Xbox One comes out and people get to play the games, experience the OS, we'll see a different tune.

It's limited flash support. Approved sites etc. It's sort of like IE metro in Win8.

Didn't that change? I remember certain sites not working when I first used Metro IE but soon (really soon) after launch everything has worked. Either that or Microsoft has approved pretty much everything

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was dumbfounded by a post that said how they were happy and it was awesome to see the DF Dead Rising 3 thread. Like, actively hoping the games turn out poorly. That is a completely toxic mindset I could never understand.

There's certainly a lot to not be a fan of, but there's a line where it gets insane.

not much different from Football teams.

the line for me is wishing injury on a player, or forgetting that a league needs more than one team to function.

a lot of console warriors forget that competition leads to innovation and variety and drives quality.

without the consoles you "hate" all you have is Ice Climber and Gyromite.

UNCMark

Banned

People that say shit like that aren't gamers. They're idiots. The more successful they all are, the better off we as gamers are. Wishing ill-will upon one of them just speaks to a level of stupidity that's hard to fathom.

Tabris

Anyone have good pictures or video of the kinect camera from multiple angles? I'm just deciding whether if I go ahead with getting an xbox, how I can place the camera (I have a super flat tv mounted and an A/V receiver in the middle between tv and entertainment stand)

It also affects my PS4 camera purchase decision.

PropheV

Neo Member
Just unpacked and tried my PS4 out, such a great feeling trying out your new console!
I hope you guys will have just as good time this coming friday! =D

Bsigg12

Do we have any idea when they'll update the SmartGlass apps across all platforms to support the Xbox One? I'm assuming it has to be before launch because a few games take advantage of it. I just want it to update sooner rather than later to mess around with it and the new dash. :p

I am glad I didn't listen to the reviews about knack because personally, I really enjoyed that game for what it was, very basic but fun to play and I am assuming I'll enjoy Ryse just as much.......but until then time to beat knack on VERY HARD lol

Top Bottom