• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One Tour has started - check the map for demo truck locations and dates

Alx

I suppose they wouldn't want to confirm officially a support for older device, when they have deals with Madcatz or others, and it would hurt the sales of the new peripherals. Plus there are features like controller tracking by the kinect that obviously wouldn't work.
I think that at best, support will be unofficial ("it may work but we can't guarantee it"), but it's good enough for me... as long as it works. :)

derFeef

I suppose they wouldn't want to confirm officially a support for older device, when they have deals with Madcatz or others, and it would hurt the sales of the new peripherals. Plus there are features like controller tracking by the kinect that obviously wouldn't work.
I think that at best, support will be unofficial ("it may work but we can't guarantee it"), but it's good enough for me... as long as it works. :)

makes the most sense. If I can use me SFIV TE stick - I am a happy camper.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Don't forget those are dev kits and not retail units

USB security may be quite a bit more lax on the XDKs

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If there is no need for me to buy a 2nd (Well, technically, 3rd!) Stick for KI upon release, my money will just go towards buying more launch games.

Hey, are the consoles at stores open to inserting a controller anywhere, since they have a weirdly open-air stand? Could someone go up to one of those, plug in a FIghtstick or Controller, and see if they work on that?

statham

saw this on reddit, thought it was cool if true.
I saw the xbox one on tour and I was talking to the guy that works there. I was telling him that the Kinect thing where you control it with your voice is pretty cool because I always lose the controller in my couch and stuff. He says that although you can do a lot of stuff, especially simple stuff, with voice, eventually you'll have to find the controller. And I am like, haha yeah I know.

Then he leans in a little and says that the Kinect knows where the controllers are in the room. He said that there is already a feature in that watches where you put your controllers and if you lose them you just say "Xbox, where is my controller?". I asked him to show me and he said that it isn't in the current build and has not been officially announced.

I thought the Kinect voice controls were pretty cool, but this just takes it to a new level! Has anyone seen any videos of this or anything so we can confirm??
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1p920u/kinect_can_watch_where_you_put_your_controllers/

p3tran

Banned
Don't forget those are dev kits and not retail units

USB security may be quite a bit more lax on the XDKs

if those tweets are ms official channel, for me its case closed.

they would be like a thousand times more stupid than just regular stupid, to post not one but two pics boasting how the dude brought the fight stick from home to try the game.
then not allow it.

;)

Alx

I don't believe it's true. I imagine they would have pimped that feature pretty hard if it were.

It sounds like a plausible feature though and it would be cool to have something like it.

To be serious, I can see several issues with such a system :
- the controller needs to be on for the kinect to detect it. In most situations, it would be off. And if it's on, you should be able to see its light.
- the controller front needs to be in the line of sight of the kinect. Even if it's not hidden behind books/cushions/bottles, you have 50% chance it's not turned the right way.
- assuming kinect can see the controller, how will it give you an answer ? "on your left... no you're cold... getting warmer... warmer...". (strike that, it could show you what it sees and circle the controller... but it wouldn't be as funny :p ).

derFeef

Sounds more like a "whisper down the lane" problem where the PR guy got something explained and extrapolated something different out of it.

To be serious, I can see several issues with such a system :
- the controller needs to be on for the kinect to detect it. In most situations, it would be off. And if it's on, you should be able to see its light.
- the controller front needs to be in the line of sight of the kinect. Even if it's not hidden behind books/cushions/bottles, you have 50% chance it's not turned the right way.
- assuming kinect can see the controller, how will it give you an answer ? "on your left... no you're cold... getting warmer... warmer...". (strike that, it could show you what it sees and circle the controller... but it wouldn't be as funny :p ).

Well such a feature would certainly be able to recall where it last saw the controller in the room, before it turned off. I imagine most controllers are still on when they're put down, no?

As for how it would function, it could just show the room on the tv screen with a glowing dot where it last saw the controller.

Alx

"Your controller is in the fridge, behind the chesse on the second rack"

When I can't find something I lost, I always check the fridge first. At least when I see it's not there I'm relieved to know that it can't be in a more stupid place. ;)

Actually, it should be able to map the room and even without the controller on, pattern matching the shape of the controller with what it sees could be possible.

The pattern matching is simply a form of facial recognition.....

Actually, it should be able to map the room and even without the controller on, pattern matching the shape of the controller with what it sees could be possible.

The pattern matching is simply a form of facial recognition.....

If it can see the controller enough to recognize it, so should you be able to see it, unless your room is very cluttered and messy.

U2NUMB

So finally got my hands on the controller and a couple games. Went to the mobile version at Eagan Minnesota. First thing that sucked... because it was parked at a Wal Mart (their rules) we received no Killer Instinct. So we had Forza and Fifa but I was mostly interested in the controller and also the rumble triggers when playing Forza.

First off I met a couple fellow gaffers and that was awesome. All of us were just gamers and were looking forward to both systems. I did not catch their names but it was great to speak to you guys if you happen to see this.

1) First off the controller does feel different. It feels smaller in general and it has much to do with the 2 handles. I would say after about 3 minutes with it everything felt good. The bumpers are fine.. they have a loud click to them when hit but they were fine. The D pad also had a nice click to it and overall it was solid. I brought my PS4 controller along and actually ended up handing it around to many people there. The overall report was most hated the DS3 and thought the DS4 was much better but as expected they preferred the Xbox One controller. Most really enjoyed that.

2) Rumble in the triggers.... if this is used well in shooters and racers it will be a big deal for me. Felt great in Forza and I can not wait for Devs to take advantage of this feature.

3) Forza looked like a damn pretty .. Forza. I have enjoyed every game in the series so to have it at launch is fantasic.

4) Fifa looked damn good.. It was of course pretty much a pretty looking current gen game but animations were great and people seemed to think it looked and played great.

5) The people working the truck I believe no longer have a soul. They were going through the motions and throwing out corny MS themed comments like bragging about their Nokia 1020 and the cameras. I have a 920 and love it yet even I rolled my eyes. They just seem like they have been on the road far too long and were going through the motions. I really can not blame them.

6) They were guarding the dashboard like a hawk.. anyone that went to it got that shut down ASAP.

Overall I am very happy with what I saw felt and played. I really want both systems to do well as competition is what pushes this hobby of ours forward and I am confident we have 2 great systems coming.

Here are a few pictures... was a steady stream of people and I did place the DS4 next to the X1 controller.

WP_20131026_008.jpg

WP_20131026_007.jpg

WP_20131026_005.jpg

WP_20131026_004.jpg

WP_20131026_002.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Application successful, yo. Now I just have to hppe nothing comes up. Pretty awesome that it's about 20 mins away by train from where I work too...

So excited, I'm going to finally get my hands on Dead Rising 3.

GwViLZB.gif

lol Miles Congrats

Hope you enjoy DR3 :D

Forgot to mention, after I asked the guy how to start executions I did a few then an achievement popped up (as per all the gifs going round, game didn't stutter when it was appearing either like some do on 360), it was only worth 10g but looked quite good, was something to do with the enemies heads but can't remember exactly what it said.

Was pretty cool though, I asked the Xbox staff worker who was watching me if I could take the achievement with me but unfortunately he didn't get the joke.

So finally got my hands on the controller and a couple games. Went to the mobile version at Eagan Minnesota. First thing that sucked... because it was parked at a Wal Mart (their rules) we received no Killer Instinct. So we had Forza and Fifa but I was mostly interested in the controller and also the rumble triggers when playing Forza.

First off I met a couple fellow gaffers and that was awesome. All of us were just gamers and were looking forward to both systems. I did not catch their names but it was great to speak to you guys if you happen to see this.

I was at this event as well, though I don't think I spoke to you. It was disappointing about Killer Instinct.

My impressions:

Fifa: I've never played a Fifa game before, I don't know how to play Fifa. I played for about 10 minutes, though I didn't really know what I was doing. Game ran well, and looked sharp.

Forza
: There was only one track available to play, Leguna Seca. The available cars were: Audi E-tron, Mclaren P1, Ferrari F12, Ford Focus, and Mercedes gullwing 300sl. If you enjoy the Forza series, you will like this game. I played about 15-20 races (20-30minutes), and tried out every car at least once. Great simulation racing feel. The gameplay was super smooth. Graphics were great, especially when in cockpit view. One of the big differences in graphics that I noticed in this versus Forza 4 is the amount of detail in the environment and landscape. Like others have said, the rumble in the triggers is subtle and great.

Controller: The 360 controller is my favorite controller ever, so I was interested to try this one out. Overall size is just slightly smaller (I have size L/10 hands), but was still comfortable for me to hold. The pads on the sticks are smaller than the 360, though the edge of the pad seems a bit taller; that along with the texture on the lip make moving and keeping a grip on the sticks much better. The travel of the sticks seemed to be about the same distance as the 360, but they were a bit looser. Overall I think the new stick design is an improvement. The face buttons felt largely the same. The bumpers are probably the biggest change from the 360, they have an arched shape that's meant to be pressed by the length of the finger, rather then the finger tip. My initial impression was that I didn't like them as much as the 360, but after using the controller for around 30 minutes, I found them very comfortable, and didn't have a problem using them. I need more time to decide if I think they're better/worse then the 360. The triggers are great, I really liked the rumble feature. Using them feels very much like the 360 triggers. They are wider than the 360 triggers, the outward facing sides slope up to the top of the button, my fingers rested on the slope up to the top of the trigger - so while being wider, they weren't uncomfortable. I found the triggers to be a big improvement overall.

Overall I think the new controller to be an improvement over the 360 design, with my favorite parts being the sticks and the triggers.

nillapuddin

has anyone been to Area One in Atlanta?

My friend who lives there went this morning and couldnt find anything, Ive tweeted and reddit'd and this is all I have so far..

It's behind the building that says 200 on it not in front
Across from hooters is the 200 building then you go around the corner and you will see a guy standing there with an xbox shirt on. It's kind of discreet and its still open now. They close again at 5 then open at 6

My friend said the building itself thought they were gone and they walked around to no avail.

Can anyone confirm?

Ghazi

They had a showing in Nashville a week ago?

FUUUUUUUU. I never checked because I thought MS wouldn't care about TN Biblethump

MysteryM

Good job dude, actually made me more pumped for the game. I remember killer instinct in the n64 days just didn't play it a lot.

Top Bottom