• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

oldergamer

I can see Banjo being true considering Phil didn’t take Moon’s offer to create a new Banjo game. Ever since I’ve heard that I’ve thought something must already be in the pipeline.
When did Moon offer to take banjo? I'm not sure that happened.

If double fine took it, it would be good tho.

Going off what's announced. Which is basically just death loop and i forgot the other one. Timed ps5 exclusives iirc
There's a couple things on this though.

First off, Covid has thrown a lot of companies for a loop. That's why you have teams (not just MS) revealing games with windows. Not concrete dates but windows like Spring 2021, Fall 2021, etc. Sony did it just recently. No hard date, no specifics. A window.

Second, all these companies are watching CDPR and Cyberpunk release fiasco with great interest. This is another good lesson in rushing product for a window, especially in Covid, and thus that's even more for an enforcing reason for the 1st point.

Third, Bethesda and MS will definitely be very quiet around product releases until the purchase is completed beginning of next year. Reasons are obvious: any game they announce now, not purchased, will raise concerns if Sony is not listed as a platform. Bethesda isn't bought yet so they legally have to operate as business is normal. This was discussed soon after the announcement by a lot of media. They said, don't expect Bethesda to give very clear updates on products at all. Bethesda will keep release dates close to their chest until the purchase is done. This is normal in a purchase.

Finally, think about timelines. When does a company of Bethesda's size announce games? What reasons could there be from a timeline perspective NOT to announce games? Easy. New console launches, holidays, pushing current products. This isn't the period of time when you announce new product. Holidays is sales. January and February is end of financial years for a lot of these companies. March/April is time to announce new product. This has regularly been the cycle in the industry and for all the previous reasons mentioned (Covid, Bethesda sale, Cyberpunk launch fiasco) this is even MORE the case now.

I think due to Covid, due to Cyberpunk, due to the Bethesda purchase, you'd be more likely to hear news on new games in March/April from MS/Bethesda with end of 2021 dates than you would during Holidays. This is corroborated by history.

Last edited:

KO7

Now that I’m nearing the end of my (first) playthrough of Cyberpunk, I’m thinking of what I’ll be playing when I renew my gamepass subscription.

Which of the current Halos or Destinys have the most active multiplayer numbers?

Gerdav

I believe the games the studios are working on from the leak to be pretty much spot on, what they are taking a complete wild guess at are the release windows IMO, the big giveaway is Forza, the tweet on the right is zoomed in but it looks like it says Forza Motorsport was releasing as a launch title, that game won’t be seen until 2022 if FH5 is coming in 21, and COVID is not delaying a game by two years.

Last edited:

Concern

There's a couple things on this though.

First off, Covid has thrown a lot of companies for a loop. That's why you have teams (not just MS) revealing games with windows. Not concrete dates but windows like Spring 2021, Fall 2021, etc. Sony did it just recently. No hard date, no specifics. A window.

Second, all these companies are watching CDPR and Cyberpunk release fiasco with great interest. This is another good lesson in rushing product for a window, especially in Covid, and thus that's even more for an enforcing reason for the 1st point.

Third, Bethesda and MS will definitely be very quiet around product releases until the purchase is completed beginning of next year. Reasons are obvious: any game they announce now, not purchased, will raise concerns if Sony is not listed as a platform. Bethesda isn't bought yet so they legally have to operate as business is normal. This was discussed soon after the announcement by a lot of media. They said, don't expect Bethesda to give very clear updates on products at all. Bethesda will keep release dates close to their chest until the purchase is done. This is normal in a purchase.

Finally, think about timelines. When does a company of Bethesda's size announce games? What reasons could there be from a timeline perspective NOT to announce games? Easy. New console launches, holidays, pushing current products. This isn't the period of time when you announce new product. Holidays is sales. January and February is end of financial years for a lot of these companies. March/April is time to announce new product. This has regularly been the cycle in the industry and for all the previous reasons mentioned (Covid, Bethesda sale, Cyberpunk launch fiasco) this is even MORE the case now.

I think due to Covid, due to Cyberpunk, due to the Bethesda purchase, you'd be more likely to hear news on new games in March/April from MS/Bethesda with end of 2021 dates than you would during Holidays. This is corroborated by history.

I hope so. But at the end of it all we're just speculating here. Im happy with my console but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want launch exclusives.

MadPanda

Banned
The point of that tweet was to compare, how "right" those leaks were back in May when compared to later showcases and announcements. I wouldn't put any weight on the release dates, though.

It didn't mention anything about Zenimax/Bethesda deal or their games, either.
It can't mention anything about Bethesda as Microsoft and Bethesda made an agreement a few months later.
I find that leak strange as it's talking about age of empires v while we still haven't got aoe iv.

splattered

Ok so they fixed the visual and performance disparities to match the ps5 version? Havent watched the video yet if there's a video. Did it fix this for series s as well?

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Regarding the leak, I also really don’t think there will be a Outer Worlds 2, as it makes way more sense to get Obsidian to work on Fallout once they finish their current projects. Even after 76 the Fallout license is still gigantic and you can have multiple projects around it.

The other thing that makes me question the leak is The Coalition working on the multiplayer from Perfect Dark, doesn’t really make sense as Gears is a bigger license so I don’t see why they would move resources around like that.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Solid dates? Not rumors
The guys who gave Starfield leaks(which were later confirmed by Bethesda as one of the employees was wearing a shirt with the same logo as the leaked screenshots) also said that Starfield was targeting 2021(may delay to 2022).
Wolfenstein 3 is more of a analysis on my part. MachineGames has not made anything proper since 2017(Youngblood was mostly made by Arkane). Back in 2018, Pete Hines confirmed that Wolfenstein 3 is absolutely being made.
There is also this interview with MachineGames teasing possible announcements soon.
At any rate I see Starfield and Wolfenstein 3 as 2021-22.

Banjo64

cumsessed
When did Moon offer to take banjo? I'm not sure that happened.

If double fine took it, it would be good tho.
Paraphrased above but it mostly comes from this interview with Thomas Mahler, CEO and Game Director of Moon;

There’s a transcript here;

They seem to really get what made Kazooie special, and Tooie (and Yooka-Laylee) not so special.

I’m not sure if they got as far as pitching it to Microsoft, it doesn’t sound like it to be honest, but they had internal discussions over making a Banjo game.

And we did have those discussions. Like hey, wouldn’t it be really cool. If at E3, Phil would go on stage and, like, you would see a Banjo 3 thing. And it’s, like, it brings up Moon Studios. You know that kind of thing. I think people would really love that. But, I mean, at the same time, as a business, to see where we will be heading but yeah.

I’m certain we could make a Banjo 3 that would get a 90 Metacritic. That would make fans freak the hell out, you know. Like just image that at E3, you know. Like you see Banjo 3.. From the makers of Ori and the Blind forest! and so on. And just visually we can knock it out of the park and so on. But again there are real business aspects there to consider and at the end of the day, I’m also running a studio.

I presume it will just download the upgrade like on One X but I buy everything digitally so don't know for sure.
I hope not :/, would suck if their physical releases have the last gen version on the disc.
No one here buys their games physically can confirm?

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

I hope not :/, would suck if their physical releases have the last gen version on the disc.
No one here buys their games physically can confirm?

The Series X|S has a different way it updates the next gen versions compared to PS5, it literally is a Patch where the PS5 has to have a seperate next gen version, only game that does this on Xbox Series is Call of Duty and NBA 2K21

The Series X|S has a different way it updates the next gen versions compared to PS5, it literally is a Patch where the PS5 has to have a seperate next gen version, only game that does this on Xbox Series is Call of Duty and NBA 2K21
Is the patch on the disc or are the discs just the last gen versions?

splattered

Good month. I love King of Fighters. I can get rid of my disc version now.

Me too! As soon as I saw this next month's games I was like sweet I can get rid of my Kof disc! Also cool to see Breakdown from OG xbox. I played but never beat it back in the day, I remember it getting hard towards the end? I may give it another go

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
My Series X controller has drift on the right stick.

The Good news is that I was a bit of a collectomaniac with Xbox controllers on the previous system.

So great that I can just pick up an Xbox one controller and sync it up to the Series X without issue.
Send it to MS, they will send UPS in front your home and then it gets delivered in same way

Witchilich

As someone who prefers to own games physically, I hope a physical release of Gear 5 Hivebusters(or Gears 5 with Hivebusters) is in the plans.

Kagey K

Banned
As someone who prefers to own games physically, I hope a physical release of Gear 5 Hivebusters(or Gears 5 with Hivebusters) is in the plans.
Maybe see a physical release of the Goty Edition with Hivebusters included (likely as a code though) but Hivebusters by itself probably isn’t going to happen.

How often does a DLC get a physical print?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
In the Xbox store Gears 5 now has pack which is named "Game of the Year edition", so maybe they will do retail of that.

Witchilich

How often does a DLC get a physical print?
Like Dishonored: Death of the Outsider or Halo 3:ODST.
Maybe see a physical release of the Goty Edition with Hivebusters included (likely as a code though) but Hivebusters by itself probably isn’t going to happen.
Hope its not a code.
In the Xbox store Gears 5 now has pack which is named "Game of the Year edition", so maybe they will do retail of that.

I am also ok with that.

Last edited:
CGkMCuH.png

23 studios working to make content for Xbox/game pass, this year was barely even a prelude.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Rumors that Obsidian are working on some 6 projects, but I'm just glad Avowed makes the Xmas card

Those rumours are bullshit. It says that Avowed will release in 2021 and then The Outer Worlds 2 in 2022. Until now 100 people were involved in pre-production of Avowed + People working on Outer Worlds + Grounded + Josh Sawyer's Non-Violent RPG in Unity. They have around 200 people in their studio.
Now they are moving to full production and will pull staff from other projects(Outer Worlds DLC finished, Grounded will release in 2021). The Outer Worlds was made by 70 people within 3 years, but I dont see something the size of Avowed being made in 3 years or their other projects going forward. Because of those Fallout rumors, it is possible that Tim Cain will make a new Fallout game next, but I don't see that anything less than 4 years after Avowed release. Bethesda can handle full production of Starfield and pre-production of The Elders Scrolls VI at the same time, but I don't see Obsidian doing that.

Last edited:
Those rumours are bullshit. It says that Avowed will release in 2021 and then The Outer Worlds 2 in 2022. Until now 100 people were involved in pre-production of Avowed + People working on Outer Worlds + Grounded + Josh Sawyer's Non-Violent RPG in Unity. They have around 200 people in their studio.
Now they are moving to full production and will pull staff from other projects(Outer Worlds DLC finished, Grounded will release in 2021). The Outer Worlds was made by 70 people within 3 years, but I dont see something the size of Avowed being made in 3 years or their other projects going forward. Because of those Fallout rumors, it is possible that Tim Cain will make a new Fallout game next, but I don't see that anything less than 4 years after Avowed release. Bethesda can handle full production of Starfield and pre-production of The Elders Scrolls VI at the same time, but I don't see Obsidian doing that.

I agree, it's why I never posted them.

splattered

This is the one and only game i bother wasting time and money in on my phone (native phone game) and this new character is REALLY cool so far. Really liking her looks and abilities.

They also just put out new world content in "The Grand Desert" which looks massive and i haven't even bothered to touch yet cause i'm working on leveling my Nova character first.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm heavily tempted to try the Witcher 3, before the next gen update comes along. How does it play on Series X? I imagine the quick loading might improve the experience quite a bit, but I can't remember how much loading was in the game initially.

I'm heavily tempted to try the Witcher 3, before the next gen update comes along. How does it play on Series X? I imagine the quick loading might improve the experience quite a bit, but I can't remember how much loading was in the game initially.

I’ve mucked about with Witcher 3 since getting the Series X and it is indeed a much enhanced experience based upon the vastly reduced loading times alone. Certainly feels like it runs smoother too....and I think there is confirmation out there that it does objectively run better. As with Cyberpunk, I’m waiting to for the proper next gen treatment to give it another play through. Witcher 3 on Xbox One X, long load times notwithstandin, was probably my favourite gaming experience of all time.

As the admittedly awful 2020 wraps up, it’s sure nice to feel the momentum behind Xbox steadily growing. Been reading this forum for a long time, mostly in lurk-mode (arrival of the Series X finally made me join), and I don’t remember seeing as many Xbox related threads on the front page in a long time. It sure feels like Xbox is on the verge of being back in the game in a big way.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I’ve mucked about with Witcher 3 since getting the Series X and it is indeed a much enhanced experience based upon the vastly reduced loading times alone. Certainly feels like it runs smoother too....and I think there is confirmation out there that it does objectively run better. As with Cyberpunk, I’m waiting to for the proper next gen treatment to give it another play through. Witcher 3 on Xbox One X, long load times notwithstandin, was probably my favourite gaming experience of all time.

As the admittedly awful 2020 wraps up, it’s sure nice to feel the momentum behind Xbox steadily growing. Been reading this forum for a long time, mostly in lurk-mode (arrival of the Series X finally made me join), and I don’t remember seeing as many Xbox related threads on the front page in a long time. It sure feels like Xbox is on the verge of being back in the game in a big way.

I've been playing on Playstation practically my whole life and I love their exclusives.
That out of the way, I actually think that, a month or so in, the Xbox launch line-up is looking much stronger than Playstation. Demons Souls and Miles Morales scored big right out the gate, but people are always ready for something new to play, and in that case, the Xbox has an infinitely better playground at the moment, due to all the backwards compatibility advantages. Playstation also has a lot on the way, so I'm not counting them out by any means. I just think that the narrative got a little carried away when it came to who had the better launch lineup. Looking at the first four or five months, I'd much rather be on Xbox.

silentstorm

Reading about Moon Studios discussing a possible Banjo 3 which they make...well, the Ori games are great, but they are not 3D collectathon games, even if they are both platformers, Banjo and Ori play very differently, their skills in 2D metroidvanias may not transfer that well to a Banjo, also, they have yet to make a big budget 3D game, or anything 3D, at this point.

Still, i do like the fact that they would prefer smaller levels, yeah, sometimes i think games just put big levels or open worlds because they can rather than making them fun all the way through and it can easily drag, particulary if they put a ton of collectables and put some in hard to reach areas or really separate from one another, making you feel like taking ages just to get one note or something when there is nothing around to face or do some times.

Moon Studios being like "Small levels with tons of stuff and variety" is how you should do a 3D platformer...and their Ori games are pretty good, so despite everything, i wouldn't mind if this became one more Rare IP they gave to someone else, it worked for Killer Instinct after all...not sure about Battletoads because i haven't played the latest game.

Don't even know if the new Battletoads is any good, but Killer Instinct makes me okay with Rare giving their IP's away to talented developers.

Top Bottom