• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox reported revenue of $15.37 billion in FY 21 - Best year ever for Xbox

They are really stupid to think the company that has the biggest market cap in the world makes no profit all because they hate Xbox. Xbox is part of the company they making record breaking revenue they’re not losing the company money also if the company makes so much profit elsewhere it offsets anything the Xbox division will lose or make. This is just to find a reason to start why is Microsoft In the console business because fanboys are threatened by other plastic boxes they don’t play on.

You're being dumb as fuck mate. No one is questioning whether Microsoft is a profitable company

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Like every good business, invest. You invest in what you made. If xbox wants serious competition, they need to invest heavily in their system. Acquire more studios, broad gamepass, and work on xcloud.

Yeah, but people are acting like big revenue means big profit. It might mean big losses. We don't know.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Let's hope that MS can actually transform into a viable competitor to Nintendo and Sony this gen. They seem to be making all the right moves...but will they stay the course and get distracted by some shitty fad?

Great Hair

Banned
2020 to 2019 (annual report)
$16 billion operating income, which includes Windows Licensing&Software, Surface, Bing and Gaming. But gaming has only improved by 2%, services did jump by 11% or $943 million (driven by Minecraft, 3rd party games, gamepass, xbox live but hardware dropped by 31% (4 consoles, 2 new ones).

Strange to seem them not updating the gamepass numbers. But i don´t see how the gaming division can be profitable if the whole division (of which it´s part of) managed to reach close to $16 billion in operating profits (of which gaming only contributed 2% or 11% if services are meant, even though not sure what Minecraft has got anything to do with that. Perhaps Minecraft mtx?)

The jump from 2018 to 2019 was bigger (+19% vs +11% in 2020).

q3RwDOk.png

Create More Personal Computing
Xbox content and services revenue increased 11%.

Our More Personal Computing segment consists of products and services that put customers at the center of the experience with our technology. This segment primarily comprises:

• Windows, including Windows OEM licensing (“Windows OEM”) and other non-volume licensing of the Windows operating system; Windows Commercial, comprising volume licensing of the Windows operating system, Windows cloud services, and other Windows commercial offerings; patent licensing; Windows IoT; and MSN advertising.
  • Devices, including Surface and PC accessories.
  • Gaming, including Xbox hardware and Xbox content and services, comprising Xbox Live (transactions, subscriptions, cloud services, and advertising), video games, and third-party video game royalties.
  • Search.
    kguckx4.png
    okvh82s.png

uNEzwHx.png

Kimahri

Banned
I'm just wondering about tyat one dolt who put the lol emoji on op. Like... Why? What's the funny part here? They did good, yeah? What induces the "haha" factor here?

Is it merely a disability? A mind unable to accept anything good happening to xbox and therefore forced to attempt ridicule at every turn? Not realizing they're only ridiculing themselves? People are a mystery to me sometimes. Even more so when they pretend that things that aren't inherently funny are worthy of a good laugh.

Pretty fucking tiresome to see the usual shit up of an Xbox thread on GAF. If gamepass gets relegated to one major thread how about GAF attempts to curate Xbox threads a little more please. I generally don't see the same shitting on a Sony thread. I understand jokes and sarcasm or a funny gif but some of these posts are just straight up bullshit and on bot repeat. Factually. I'm pretty fucking sick of seeing it.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2021 (Jul 19 - Jul 25)
___

Famitsu Sales: Week 30, 2021 (Jul 19 - Jul 25)

01./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD <ADV> (Nintendo) {2021.07.16} (¥5.980) - 42.642 / 201.731 (-73%)
02./02. [NSW] Crayon Shin-chan: Ora to Hakase no Natsuyasumi - Owaranai Nanokakan no Tabi # <ADV> (Neos) {2021.07.15} (¥5.982) - 22.815 / 130.134 (-79%)
03./06. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 17.031 / 2.073.587 (+47%)
04./05. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure # <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980) - 16.169 / 2.710.271 (+33%)
05./03. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin <RPG> (Capcom) {2021.07.09} (¥6.990) - 16.017 / 185.804 (-50%)
06./04. [NSW] eBaseball Professional Baseball Spirits 2021: Grand Slam <SPT> (Konami) {2021.07.08} (¥6.980) - 14.732 / 142.040 (-29%)
07./09. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 12.972 / 3.932.225 (+30%)
08./07. [NSW] Game Builder Garage <EDU> (Nintendo) {2021.06.11} (¥3.164) - 12.949 / 181.336 (+22%)
09./11. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! <TBL> (Konami) {2020.11.19} (¥6.300) - 10.984 / 2.280.841 (+27%)
10./08. [NSW] Mario Golf: Super Rush <SPT> (Nintendo) {2021.06.25} (¥5.980) - 10.397 / 150.184 (+1%)

Top 10

NSW - 10

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| NSW # | 69.738 | 64.107 | 125.231 | 3.289.079 | 3.054.439 | 20.629.453 |
| PS5 # | 18.114 | 10.107 | | 662.412 | | 917.562 |
| XBS # | 4.684 | 1.874 | | 36.294 | | 67.718 |
| PS4 # | 1.685 | 295 | 1.434 | 84.000 | 449.752 | 9.374.890 |
| 3DS # | 491 | 584 | 1.042 | 18.298 | 37.019 | 24.577.206 |
| ALL | 94.712 | 76.967 | 127.747 | 4.090.083 | 3.544.045 | 56.735.883 |
| PS5 | 14.709 | 8.640 | | 561.104 | | 767.726 |
| PS5DE | 3.405 | 1.467 | | 101.308 | | 149.836 |
| XBS X | 2.262 | 1.503 | | 24.182 | | 49.058 |
| XBS S | 2.422 | 371 | | 12.112 | | 18.660 |
| NSW L | 12.816 | 11.577 | 16.348 | 899.920 | 1.379.489 | 3.972.012 |
| NSW | 56.922 | 52.530 | 108.883 | 2.389.159 | 1.674.950 | 16.657.441 |
| PS4 | 1.685 | 295 | 833 | 83.776 | 276.363 | 7.799.167 |
|n-2DSLL| 491 | 584 | 993 | 18.298 | 34.742 | 1.182.261 |
Media Create / Famitsu database
version 1.0.1 (2016 update) <-download it here

Previous Threads
2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2021 (Jul 12 - Jul 18)

xbox on japan seems to grow alot now.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Pretty fucking tiresome to see the usual shit up of an Xbox thread on GAF. If gamepass gets relegated to one major thread how about GAF attempts to curate Xbox threads a little more please. I generally don't see the same shitting on a Sony thread. I understand jokes and sarcasm or a funny gif but some of these posts are just straight up bullshit and on bot repeat. Factually. I'm pretty fucking sick of seeing it.
That is on resetera. Xbox here is low. Or go to xboxera.

As much gaming is this forum, we dont have that much nintendo and pc stuff. Most of the time, its playstation, and some xbox news, being posted by xbox fans.

Just because we know it, doesnt mean xbox doesnt have it.

The way he said it, sounded like those $15.3b had a big loss. Considering xbox hasnt done big spending aside of bethesda, which was done by MS. Unless they are running the business to the ground.

No, he's saying revenue isn't an indication of how profitable a company is, hence why he ended his point with "We don't know"

Just because Xbox might be in the red doesn't mean they're running it into the ground. Loss leaders exist for a reason

kingfey

Banned
Xbox/PC is my favorite ecosystem so happy that it appears it will have a strong generation.

My hope is that MS being strong makes my Sony/Nintendo experience better as well with a more customer friendly approach to their ecosystems and pricing.
I doubt Nintendo will care.

They are winning in their home, and have almost top 10 weekly selling games in their home country. They dont see both xbox/playstation as a competitor at all.

Stuart360

Yes that's their only expense 😁
Well enlighten us then.
I mean every time we get these results, its the same posts from the same people.
What huge losses could they have that Playstation doesnt?. They both have released 2 new consoles, they both have similar services. Playstation has a certain percentage profit every result, why wouldnt Xbox be a similar percentage?. I mean the number would be lower obviously as Playstation make more revenue, but why wouldnt the percentages be similar for both?.

EDIT. And thats also ignoring the 'common sense' factor of the fact that Xbox are 20 years doing this, and Phil already announced more consoles in development. Why would they keep doing this if there wasnt profit?, ego?.

Last edited:
Well enlighten us then.
I mean every time we get these results, its the same posts from the same people.
What huge losses could they have that Playstation doesnt?. They both have released 2 new consoles, they both have similar services. Playstation has a certain percentage profit every result, why wouldnt Xbox be a similar percentage?. I mean the number would be lower obviously as Playstation make more revenue, but why wouldnt the percentages be similar for both?.

From my POV

They're taking a bigger loss on hardware than Sony, given they price matched them with the X and i'm pretty sure I remember hearing they take a bigger loss on the S then the X

They're obviously spending orders of magnitutdes more on gamepass than Sony is on PS Now

I also expect they're spending more in the first party deparment than Sony at this point

kingfey

Banned
From my POV

They're taking a bigger loss on hardware than Sony, given they price matched them with the X and i'm pretty sure I remember hearing they take a bigger loss on the S then the X

They're obviously spending orders of magnitutdes more on gamepass than Sony is on PS Now

I also expect they're spending more in the first party deparment than Sony at this point
The X has much more loss than the S. The X has much more powerful part than S. S is like 600-750 pc price. While X is like 1000-1500 pc price. Their one X was huge loss for them.

The $499 price, while high, is somewhat understandable given the amount of power Microsoft has crammed into it. 4K support is still new, making the technology required to provide it just as new and therefore expensive. The fact that the Xbox One X is actually smaller than the slimmed-down S model launched last year also makes it likely that a significant amount of the tech is custom made - something else that ramps up the price.

Stuart360

From my POV

Right but its speculation on the amount of losses both are making on their consoles, it could be true that Xbox is losing more, but even if they are, how much more?, $10 a console?, $20?, eevn with 6.5mil console sales, thats what?60mil to 120mil, from 16bil profit.
And they def are spending more on Gamepass accusitions than Sony, but in reality its only been a handful of big games so far, and after those Epic leaks that showed Epic were paying far less than everyone thoght for their year exclusivity, Microsoft are probably paying a lot less than people think for these games, especially when you take into account MTX isnt included on Gamepass, and MTX is where the big money is.

The X has much more loss than the S. The X has much more powerful part than S. S is like 600-750 pc price. While X is like 1000-1500 pc price. Their one X was huge loss for them.

The $499 price, while high, is somewhat understandable given the amount of power Microsoft has crammed into it. 4K support is still new, making the technology required to provide it just as new and therefore expensive. The fact that the Xbox One X is actually smaller than the slimmed-down S model launched last year also makes it likely that a significant amount of the tech is custom made - something else that ramps up the price.

If we're to believe Jeff Grubb then no they're taking a bigger loss on the S

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How is it a loss lead?

They spend more on it than they make on it. Of course I don't KNOW this, but the opposite would surprise me greatly. Everyone always talks about what a great value it is, and it is. That value doesn't appear from thin air, someone is paying for it (it's Microsoft).

kingfey

Banned
From my POV

Sony makes like $192m a year on psnow. They are spending alot of money, due to recent games they did. The witcher 3, red dead 2, marvels avengers. and we arent even done the year. If this keeps going on, they might go over, what psnow makes for them.

But due to Epic charts from the court, it seems game deals are cheaper, aside of day1 games. Maybe they are getting discounts.

Right but its speculation on the amount of losses both are making on their consoles, it could be true that Xbox is losing more, but even if they are, how much more?, $10 a console?, $20?, eevn with 6.5mil console sales, thats what?60mil to 120mil, from 16bil profit.
And they def are spending more on Gamepass accusitions than Sony, but in reality its only been a handful of big games so far, and after those Epic leaks that showed Epic were paying far less than everyone thoght for their year exclusivity, Microsoft are probably paying a lot less than people think for these games, especially when you take into account MTX isnt included on Gamepass, and MTX is where the big money is.

No clue, but there will be loads more expenditures i'm missing, those are just a few I think will be hitting Xbox more than PlayStation

Also have to remember Sony has been earning more in FP sales than Microsoft. Something like 20% of their overall game sales are FP

Top Bottom