• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X - $349 (clearing stock for refresh?)

are you not familiar with MAPs? manufacturers have a lot of control over what prices their things can be sold for & it’s not just through the MSRPs

I'm familiar with MAP, but assuming they have something on the books with Microsoft, this wouldn't violate it. This wasn't an advertised sale and was done to clear stock. It's no different than going in and seeing a 65 inch Samsung discounted by $600 or something.

twilo99

I'm familiar with MAP, but assuming they have something on the books with Microsoft, this wouldn't violate it. This wasn't an advertised sale and was done to clear stock. It's no different than going in and seeing a 65 inch Samsung discounted by $600 or something.

That's what I thought but people here seem to think that its all up to Microsoft...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Maybe people like myself, want it for a ancillary option to their PC, or people can't be assed buying a pc...or maybe people just want the thing.

Sure, not as many people as playstation but there must be like 25 million or so out there right now.

I love my series x and ps5 but let's be honest, there's no real reason to own either if you have a pc.

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You have to remember that when it comes to Xbox, a lot of these people in these threads will always argue whatever makes Microsoft look worst, and whatever will FINALLY make their decades long prediction of Xbox dropping consoles come true.

They're going to announce that they're discontinuing production and going third party at The Game Awards.

Believe.

Mh, so if Microsoft tells Walmart to raise the price of the series s to $500 they are obliged to do so despite the fact that they will be stuck with them forever at that price?

Technically yes, but I don’t understand why this is important since that would never happen. An odd example for sure

onQ123

They're going to announce that they're discontinuing production and going third party at The Game Awards.

Believe.
More like moving on to a cheaper to make design because the old model isn't working out.

Hold enough big name software ips & you could get other companies to make the hardware that runs your software.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So Microsoft is going 100% digital with their hardware, right? I wonder who will be the first to follow suit, Nintendo or Sony?

Mr.ODST

So Microsoft is going 100% digital with their hardware, right? I wonder who will be the first to follow suit, Nintendo or Sony?
Sony 100% - I trust them with my backcatalog in some aspects but the fact they wanted to get rid of Backward Compatability with the PS4 and turned around on it after it was announced Xbox's strategy with BC (I trust MS more with my back catalog), I have over 450 digital games on my Playstation account and that was a worry if they do the same going into the PS6 but the backlash hopefully put them off it

Nintendo will follow suit but I 100% do not trust them and their online / catalog, I always buy physical with Nintendo since their online is shit, their save system is shit and they burnt everyone each generation with their games they bought digitally.

People pretty much buy Digital with Xbox anyway so its not a surprise they do it first, they have 0 presence in game stores anymore.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sony 100% - I trust them with my backcatalog in some aspects but the fact they wanted to get rid of Backward Compatability with the PS4 and turned around on it after it was announced Xbox's strategy with BC (I trust MS more with my back catalog), I have over 450 digital games on my Playstation account and that was a worry if they do the same going into the PS6 but the backlash hopefully put them off it

Nintendo will follow suit but I 100% do not trust them and their online / catalog, I always buy physical with Nintendo since their online is shit, their save system is shit and they burnt everyone each generation with their games they bought digitally.

People pretty much buy Digital with Xbox anyway so its not a surprise they do it first, they have 0 presence in game stores anymore.

The only safe space in all digital future is PC, let’s be real. Even if Steam shuts down tomorrow, there are other means to access your catalog.

One of the main reasons why I switched to PC in the middle of last gen, the writing was on the wall.

SScorpio

The only safe space in all digital future is PC, let’s be real. Even if Steam shuts down tomorrow, there are other means to access your catalog.

One of the main reasons why I switched to PC in the middle of last gen, the writing was on the wall.
Steam can still kill access to your libraries. The dropping of support of Windows XP screwed over a bunch of retro gamers, and they are dropping 7 and 8.1 in under a month.

I understand not supporting the old system. But a full client isn't needed, just a way to get the games to launch without needing to crack them all yourself.

Speculating there is a refresh and clearing stock or just being aggressive with sales slumping recently. Hopefully becomes a permanent price eventually.

This is ridiculous. I never owned an xbox ever (been gaming since the Atari 2600 btw) and I am getting one this year with a disk drive (given to me as a gift). Why there are apparently a ton of games that are no longer on the store, games that made me want one of these to begin with. Splinter cell, pt, chaos theory, mirrors edge, graw 1 and 2, etc... games I would like to play but they get delisted by ubisoft or whoever from being sold digitally. Meaning if you didn't have the system last year you are out of luck , but there is the physical option.... until, they take away that option.

In with the shills spouting about how we are dinosaurs, kindly fuck off with your boot licking nonsense. I don't care if gen z doesn't recognize physical and what options it gives. This is multiple generations who only care about free to play, microbucks, gas and subscriptions, oh and "their team winning"... as you seen with the acquisitions. It's ridiculous. We all should be against the "all digital future" Especially when they delist games, and take away from ownership.

I want alpha protocol on pc or xbox, have it on ps3 but that machine is busted. If I want to rebuy it online, can't again, delisted, that one is on pc. Lost of games delisted for bullshit. I am glad to be getting a disk drive xbx but my concern is what next, what happens when your machine breaks and you need a replacment and none are there becasue they took away the disk? At least give us the option Sony is at least including an external disc drive and an option to buy one seperately, MS better do this too or wtf... Something is fishy. Best buy and walmart cutting out physical media... Corporations wet dream. We are all screwed and it is becasue you sacrificed freedom for convience and short term values (game pass)...

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Steam can still kill access to your libraries. The dropping of support of Windows XP screwed over a bunch of retro gamers, and they are dropping 7 and 8.1 in under a month.

I understand not supporting the old system. But a full client isn't needed, just a way to get the games to launch without needing to crack them all yourself.

Steam is a subscription service, you don't own anything. But I'm not worried about it because as I've said, there are other means to access these games on PC. Means that shall not be discussed.

And yeah, games lose official support but I don't know a single game that doesn't have a community / fan patch to enable it on current PC configurations.

So: PC is the place to be!

boomcrab

Looks like they did another drop, the Diablo bundle went quickly but I managed to get the console itself for 350 which I still consider to be a pretty damn good deal. Never owned an Xbox before they totally put it into the 'impulse buy' range. Sat for a moment going back and forth then just pulled the trigger.

King Dazzar

In this thread, where a retailer specific discount has been labeled as 'admitting defeat' and an indication that Xbox is discontinuing production by multiple people?

Just dumb takes being mocked, is all.
Most of this thread I've read has most agreeing its to shift more boxes. Simple as that. And of the others speculating about ending XSX, it would only be to allow for its successor/revision as mentioned in the topic tile.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Saying there's no reason to own a PS5 if you have a PC is crazy. Straight insane!

It just depends on if you're willing to wait for new releases (at higher settings/resolutions/framerates) or if you feel a compulsion to play them the second they come out.

Many are fine with waiting for those PS5 1st party games to come to PC, especially when they generally end up being the superior version.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I waited almost 4 weeks for them to ship mine like 2 years ago. was stuck in the warehouse forever they even cancelled my order and then it appeared one day

I mean I wouldn’t mind if I ended up with a free Xbox Series X 😅
I was very lucky. Got mine on day of release direct from MS UK.

It just depends on if you're willing to wait for new releases (at higher settings/resolutions/framerates) or if you feel a compulsion to play them the second they come out.

Many are fine with waiting for those PS5 1st party games to come to PC, especially when they generally end up being the superior version.
Millions of people prefer consoles, regardless of release schedules though. Maybe we're all just thickies, low IQ dingbats, who like the simplicity. OR maybe we've already been there and done it with PC and like the plug n play aspect of a console, with no faffing. There's merits for both platforms, believe it or not.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I was very lucky. Got mine on day of release direct from MS UK.

Millions of people prefer consoles, regardless of release schedules though. Maybe we're all just thickies, low IQ dingbats, who like the simplicity. OR maybe we've already been there and done it with PC and like the plug n play aspect of a console, with no faffing. There's merits for both platforms, believe it or not.

Oh yeah, totally agree. I love PC but it's oftentimes a pain in the ass, particularly if you don't like to tinker.

Saying there's no reason to own a PS5 if you have a PC is crazy. Straight insane!
Not really. The games get released on PC eventually (with a few exceptions), so if you don't mind waiting for a few games per year, might as well stick with PC. You'll get them cheaper anyway. Personally, I just don't like PC gaming very much, so I have a PS5, but if you are primarily a PC gamer, there isn't much reason to get a PS5 other than FOMO.

graywolf323

Looks like they did another drop, the Diablo bundle went quickly but I managed to get the console itself for 350 which I still consider to be a pretty damn good deal. Never owned an Xbox before they totally put it into the 'impulse buy' range. Sat for a moment going back and forth then just pulled the trigger.
if they had any more stock of the Diablo bundle then they better freaking deliver my order from last Friday already…

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

But what about when they don't come out at all? Like the Demon Souls Remake or GT7?

Increasingly, for more and more PC owners that is absolutely the case. If you have the patience to wait 12 to 18 months, and lets be honest that is getting easier and easier, you can absolutely pass on a PS5. Others wont, but plenty will. You absolutely COULD wait!

My issue with your post was more that you were making it a definitive statement, rather than your personal feelings. And not all PS5 games have come to PC and not all of them are done by Nixxes (who do the best ports). If a PC gamer doesn't want to buy a PS5 that's fine, but there should be NO expectation that you'll be getting all PS5 games within 12 to 18 months. It's not like Xbox in any way.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
But what about when they don't come out at all? Like the Demon Souls Remake or GT7?

My issue with your post was more that you were making it a definitive statement, rather than your personal feelings. And not all PS5 games have come to PC and not all of them are done by Nixxes (who do the best ports). If a PC gamer doesn't want to buy a PS5 that's fine, but there should be NO expectation that you'll be getting all PS5 games within 12 to 18 months. It's not like Xbox in any way.

You are absolutely correct that there is currently not an expectation, but big games like God Of War, where the games have already come to PC. I would expect those to come.

Also, I fully expect it to change in the future where it will be a known entity that all games come over within 12 to 18 months.

Rosoboy19

Neo Member
Thanks for the heads up everybody! I was able to pick one of these up over weekend and have been loving it. My very old gaming pc has been struggling with AAA titles on Gamepass for a while now and I don’t have the money to build a new one right now. I was able to swing this by selling an old gpu I had along with my Switch which I never play anymore. 🫣

twilo99

Thanks for the heads up everybody! I was able to pick one of these up over weekend and have been loving it. My very old gaming pc has been struggling with AAA titles on Gamepass for a while now and I don’t have the money to build a new one right now. I was able to swing this by selling an old gpu I had along with my Switch which I never play anymore. 🫣

Buidling a PC is outrageous these days so if you can get away with a console... win

graywolf323

well this was a rollercoaster, after zero communication from Walmart since Saturday night when they said my order was delayed, I suddenly got an email at 10:15pm saying it was out for delivery and it was delivered a mere 3 minutes later when I was downstairs refilling my water bottle 🫣

sadly I have work tomorrow morning so I‘m not going to be able to unbox it & set it up until tomorrow evening when I get home 😔

Antwix

This is ridiculous. I never owned an xbox ever (been gaming since the Atari 2600 btw) and I am getting one this year with a disk drive (given to me as a gift). Why there are apparently a ton of games that are no longer on the store, games that made me want one of these to begin with. Splinter cell, pt, chaos theory, mirrors edge, graw 1 and 2, etc... games I would like to play but they get delisted by ubisoft or whoever from being sold digitally. Meaning if you didn't have the system last year you are out of luck , but there is the physical option.... until, they take away that option.

In with the shills spouting about how we are dinosaurs, kindly fuck off with your boot licking nonsense. I don't care if gen z doesn't recognize physical and what options it gives. This is multiple generations who only care about free to play, microbucks, gas and subscriptions, oh and "their team winning"... as you seen with the acquisitions. It's ridiculous. We all should be against the "all digital future" Especially when they delist games, and take away from ownership.

I want alpha protocol on pc or xbox, have it on ps3 but that machine is busted. If I want to rebuy it online, can't again, delisted, that one is on pc. Lost of games delisted for bullshit. I am glad to be getting a disk drive xbx but my concern is what next, what happens when your machine breaks and you need a replacment and none are there becasue they took away the disk? At least give us the option Sony is at least including an external disc drive and an option to buy one seperately, MS better do this too or wtf... Something is fishy. Best buy and walmart cutting out physical media... Corporations wet dream. We are all screwed and it is becasue you sacrificed freedom for convience and short term values (game pass)...
What are you talking about? Those can still be bought....

Also, Xbox can't just keep whatever the hell they want for purchase on the store cuz they want to. There's something called licensing/publishing rights.

Mooreberg

well this was a rollercoaster, after zero communication from Walmart since Saturday night when they said my order was delayed, I suddenly got an email at 10:15pm saying it was out for delivery and it was delivered a mere 3 minutes later when I was downstairs refilling my water bottle 🫣

sadly I have work tomorrow morning so I‘m not going to be able to unbox it & set it up until tomorrow evening when I get home 😔

Congrats.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Congratulations, you're an Xbot now. 💚

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
For people who have both, isn’t it really jarring to switch between the xbox and ps controller?
I use a Xbox One controller on PC(Razer Wolverine Ultimate), so it isn't really a big deal to switch between the 2. I prefer the offset analogs of the Xbox controller, but I think the d-pad is better on the DualSense. The Xbox Series X controller d-pad is a little too clicky/clacky for my taste. DualSense also has cool features like the adaptive/haptic triggers. My Razer Xbox controller and Steam Deck are still better than either DualSense or S|X controllers in my opinion just because of how customizable they are with back buttons and touchpads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom