• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X - $349 (clearing stock for refresh?)

Thirty7ven

Banned
For people who have both, isn’t it really jarring to switch between the xbox and ps controller?

As someone who played Xbox and Xbox 360, it was pretty easy to remember the differences in face buttons and stick placement. But it was a bit jarring first time around, I was a bit shocked at how much cheaper it feels in the hand. From the sounds it makes, and just the overall touch isn’t nearly as “premium”.

It’s also odd in terms of ergonomics, the R1 sits at an awkward angle, clearly favoring hand placement that has you using index and middle fingers for R1-R2, instead of just using the index finger. Honestly I have no clue why MS thinks most people use the middle finger for the trigger.

Also I’m so used to the touchpad and triggers on Dual Sense that it felt like something was missing but you get over that a whole lot more easily. Lack of haptic feedback isn’t a big deal in isolation, the rumble on Xbox controller feels nice enough.

Takes time getting used to the interface of the console though, and it’s so odd that Atmos has lag and everybody seems cool with that.

splattered

I'm s
No.

But I do have a preference for the Xbox stick layout for shooter / first person style games

I'm so used to the Xbox stick layout that when I try and play something like destiny on ps with friends it literally hurts my hands/thumbs after a bit. I need to get one of those controllers for ps where you can change the stick layout.

ComboBongo

Neo Member
As someone who played Xbox and Xbox 360, it was pretty easy to remember the differences in face buttons and stick placement. But it was a bit jarring first time around, I was a bit shocked at how much cheaper it feels in the hand. From the sounds it makes, and just the overall touch isn’t nearly as “premium”.

It’s also odd in terms of ergonomics, the R1 sits at an awkward angle, clearly favoring hand placement that has you using index and middle fingers for R1-R2, instead of just using the index finger. Honestly I have no clue why MS thinks most people use the middle finger for the trigger.

Also I’m so used to the touchpad and triggers on Dual Sense that it felt like something was missing but you get over that a whole lot more easily. Lack of haptic feedback isn’t a big deal in isolation, the rumble on Xbox controller feels nice enough.

Takes time getting used to the interface of the console though, and it’s so odd that Atmos has lag and everybody seems cool with that.
What? 😂 I've never used my middle finger. I just hold it as I would any other controller.

graywolf323

No, but going between Nintendo Switch and Xbox is infuriating.

”Press A”… I AM PRESSING A… oh wait…
ugh yeah, though that’s going between Switch and any other modern platform…

I especially get messed up when I’m going between my Switch & Steam Deck since they’re both handhelds 🤦🏼‍♂️

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Am I crazy that I want to buy a back up one because Im thinking they will not be selling a console with a disc drive when the refresh comes out

twilo99

Theres definitely a want. We just sold out our stock of just over a dozen in the last two days. The diablo bundle in particular sold out in just a few hours

Do you work for Walmart? If yes, please enlighten us on who is taking the loss during this particular sale..

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Who want's to bet that they won't be able to clare the stock?

Theres definitely a want. We just sold out our stock of just over a dozen in the last two days. The diablo bundle in particular sold out in just a few hours

Sorry Flutta Flutta , next time maybe :messenger_grinning_sweat:

-

On topic: Both Walmart and Amaon show the regular prices to me now, looks like the sale is over.

I picked one up again even though there’s absolutely no reason to buy one. I might end up returning it but we’ll see. Browsed through the gamepass library and it’s slim pickings when it comes to games I want to play. I think PC gamepass is much better.

I picked one up again even though there’s absolutely no reason to buy one. I might end up returning it but we’ll see. Browsed through the gamepass library and it’s slim pickings when it comes to games I want to play. I think PC gamepass is much better.
If you care about backwards compatibility keep it. If not, don’t. You already use PC gamepass so you don’t need it otherwise.

MS to my knowledge. But thats not new, they sold the 360 at a loss for awhile too
twilo99 twilo99
A Few Good Men You Cant Handle The Truth GIF by SundanceTV

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Saying there's no reason to own a PS5 if you have a PC is crazy. Straight insane!
No it is not. If you are patient then you can just play the games on PC in 12-24 months. People who do this are more sane than me because I have a PS5 just to play those games on release and I still have a large backlog of PC games I could be playing.
For people who have both, isn’t it really jarring to switch between the xbox and ps controller?
Not really. What is jarring is switching from Nintendo to Xbox/PS controllers. The buttons do different things in menus.

DaGwaphics

I'm s

I'm so used to the Xbox stick layout that when I try and play something like destiny on ps with friends it literally hurts my hands/thumbs after a bit. I need to get one of those controllers for ps where you can change the stick layout.

It takes me a good 5 or 10 minutes to get used to the poor stick placement on PS every time I play something on there, LOL.

On topic, it looks like Walmart has these things back in stock again at $350. A heck of a deal for sure.

graywolf323

No it is not. If you are patient then you can just play the games on PC in 12-24 months. People who do this are more sane than me because I have a PS5 just to play those games on release and I still have a large backlog of PC games I could be playing.
people keep saying this as if it’s an established fact when it’s anything but, there’s plenty of games even just in the past 3 years that this hasn’t happened

TLOU Part II is likely coming PC with the remaster release but it’s not announced yet & it could very well take 4 years (from when the original released) for it to show up, meanwhile there’s still no movement on Ghost of Tsushima or Demon’s Souls Remake, etc. there are plenty of even first party games that you can only play on PS5

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I can't believe this is still available at $349. Microsoft either has a ton of stock or units still aren't moving, even with this massive price cut.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Yeah I get that. When I typed that out, I was thinking about a gamer that used his PS5 as his primary and his PC and his secondary device. But yeah....if PC is where you mainly play games, then you kinda don't "NEED" a PS5.

Welp... I said fuck it and ordered a Series X. Was €400 (VAT included) where I'm at and I couldn't really pass on this deal considering the rumors around the all digital series x launching soon and this current model being phased out.

I'll probably use it mostly for enhanced BC and FPS boosted games with some game pass here and there. Oh and I'll probably pick the physical Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition too since the SX version has both the base game and the expansion (Phantom Liberty) on the actual disc(s).

Last edited:

adamsapple

Welp... I said fuck it and ordered a Series X. Was €400 (VAT included) where I'm at and I couldn't really pass on this deal considering the rumors around the all digital series x launching soon and this current model being phased out.

I'll probably use it mostly for enhanced BC and FPS boosted games with some game pass here and there. Oh and I'll probably pick the physical Cyberpunk 2077 version too since the SX version actually has both the base game and the expansion (Phantom Liberty) on the actual disc(s).

Approve South Park GIF

Guess I'm one of those green rats now lol, but frankly I trust MS much more with digital purchases than Sony or Nintendo. I'll still be mostly physical though (or as much as I can).

And yeah, I'm fairly frustrated with what has happened lately with PS (e.g. the bans and the digital content being taken away) so I don't plan on buying anything anymore on PSN. Also, Xbox has a better refund policy than PSN so I'll probably be more comfortable buying digital games on Xbox if it comes to that.

Interfectum

I purchased one for myself, got another for my kids, two of my colleagues also bought one, my brother acquired one, and my nephew will receive one as a Christmas gift. In my circle, this sale is really making an impact.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Guess I'm one of those green rats now lol, but frankly I trust MS much more with digital purchases than Sony or Nintendo. I'll still be mostly physical though (or as much as I can).

And yeah, I'm fairly frustrated with what has happened lately with PS (e.g. the bans and the digital content being taken away) so I don't plan on buying anything anymore on PSN. Also, Xbox has a better refund policy than PSN so I'll probably be more comfortable buying digital games on Xbox if it comes to that.

Considering they're saying they won't do an enhanced mid-gen console, you've got basically the best Xbox for the rest of the generation for the game pass, BC and content like Cyberpunk you mentioned.

It's a pretty good deal.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

This is very true, Sony's refund policy and tech support are abysmal and something that MS does better.

Congrats on the XSX friend, get Ninja Gaiden Black, NG2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta ASAP ;)

Last edited:

graywolf323

I'll probably use it mostly for enhanced BC and FPS boosted games with some game pass here and there. Oh and I'll probably pick the physical Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition too since the SX version has both the base game and the expansion (Phantom Liberty) on the actual disc(s).
it’s likely going to be the same for me, especially with the PS5 Pro

I worked on getting mine set up last night, I really wish they had been more forward thinking and had WiFi 6 in it from the start because for some reason it’s really slow on my wifi (despite having a 6E router), I’m gonna have to see about running an ethernet cable to it this weekend possibly

among other things I downloaded off the bat (from my digital collection, I’ve had an Xbox since the OG and have plenty of digital BC 360 games from when I owned the One X) were games like Lost Odyssey & FFXIII which I’m looking forward to playing again ☺️

admittedly if FFXIII had gotten the BC improvements on PC I’d play it on Steam Deck instead >_>

splattered

denzel washington GIF

No? The two different stick placements have been around for 2 decades now. People are used to it by now, I jump between my Dualsense, Xbox Controller for Windows, and Switch Pro Controller all the time and barely notice the change in stick placement. What's actually sometimes annoying is how Confirm and Cancel are on opposite buttons going between Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft, that gets me at least once every play session when going between my PS5/PC and my Switch.

it’s likely going to be the same for me, especially with the PS5 Pro

I worked on getting mine set up last night, I really wish they had been more forward thinking and had WiFi 6 in it from the start because for some reason it’s really slow on my wifi (despite having a 6E router), I’m gonna have to see about running an ethernet cable to it this weekend possibly

among other things I downloaded off the bat (from my digital collection, I’ve had an Xbox since the OG and have plenty of digital BC 360 games from when I owned the One X) were games like Lost Odyssey & FFXIII which I’m looking forward to playing again ☺️

admittedly if FFXIII had gotten the BC improvements on PC I’d play it on Steam Deck instead >_>
Congrats on getting the Series X! Personally, I'm still undecided on whether to run an Ethernet cable or stick with WiFi, but since my router (WiFi 6 capable) will be positioned nearby (only 2m/6.5ft away from the console), both options seem viable.

About BC titles, some very good recommendations there! I myself purchased the entire FFXIII trilogy on disc for Xbox after watching John's DF retro episode on it. I never got around to playing it when it first released, so I'm definitely looking forward to diving into it now. Lost Odyssey is also high on my wishlist, and I'll be picking it up as soon as possible. I'm also thinking on paying a visit to a used video game store near me when I get tomorrow off work since they have lots of cheap 360 and One games. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

adamsapple

Congrats on getting the Series X! Personally, I'm still undecided on whether to run an Ethernet cable or stick with WiFi, but since my router (WiFi 6 capable) will be positioned nearby (only 2m/6.5ft away from the console), both options seem viable.

About BC titles, some very good recommendations there! I myself purchased the entire FFXIII trilogy on disc for Xbox after watching John's DF retro episode on it. I never got around to playing it when it first released, so I'm definitely looking forward to diving into it now. Lost Odyssey is also high on my wishlist, and I'll be picking it up as soon as possible. I'm also thinking on paying a visit to a used video game store near me when I get tomorrow off work since they have lots of cheap 360 and One games. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Lost Odyssey with SSD load times is a revelation. I still remember the ages it took to load each random battle from the DVD, the 360 NXE installs made it a bit more bearable.

splattered

No? The two different stick placements have been around for 2 decades now. People are used to it by now, I jump between my Dualsense, Xbox Controller for Windows, and Switch Pro Controller all the time and barely notice the change in stick placement. What's actually sometimes annoying is how Confirm and Cancel are on opposite buttons going between Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft, that gets me at least once every play session when going between my PS5/PC and my Switch.

For me it depends on the intensity of the games being played... if it's more casual then it's no problem but if it's something competitive like Destiny PVP etc then yeah it hurts my hands switching.

splattered

The wife and i use wi-fi on our Series X consoles and don't really have an issue with lag or slow speeds. On 5Ghz it's usually its like 300mb down and 20mb up testing within the Xbox settings? *Oh also should mentioned that we are literally in opposite corners in the house from the router too so distance and lots of walls and it still works well.

Last edited:

graywolf323

The wife and i use wi-fi on our Series X consoles and don't really have an issue with lag or slow speeds. On 5Ghz it's usually its like 300mb down and 20mb up testing within the Xbox settings?
I don’t know what’s going on with it but yesterday evening I was getting ~50 Mbps at best despite the fact it’s in the same room as my router

meanwhile my Steam Deck OLED gets 300 Mbps down (which is currently the max for the FioS plan my landlord has)

edit: I made sure not to have anything else downloading while on the Xbox too, heck at one point it took it 30 minutes to download the last 100MB or so of an update, hopefully I don’t have a bad network card 😕

Last edited:

adamsapple

I don’t know what’s going on with it but yesterday evening I was getting ~50 Mbps at best despite the fact it’s in the same room as my router

meanwhile my Steam Deck OLED gets 300 Mbps down (which is currently the max for the FioS plan my landlord has)

edit: I made sure not to have anything else downloading while on the Xbox too, heck at one point it took it 30 minutes to download the last 100MB or so of an update, hopefully I don’t have a bad network card 😕

Is there anything metallic between the Xbox and router?

My wifi router is on a different floor of the house and my Xbox is pretty easily doing the full 300mbps of my connection. As is the PS5 which are side by side each other.

graywolf323

Is there anything metallic between the Xbox and router?

My wifi router is on a different floor of the house and my Xbox is pretty easily doing the full 300mbps of my connection. As is the PS5 which are side by side each other.
nope, in fact it’s on the same shelf of my entertainment center as the PS5 🤷🏼‍♂️ side by side like yours actually

I’m going to fiddle with it more tonight, maybe it was just being weird yesterday

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Steam Deck has a beast Wi-Fi card. Not only bandwidth, but stability. I love doing Chiaki and xCloud off it.

I have the XSX and PS5 right next to each other in a different room than the router. There's 2 walls in between them and the router. I downloaded Shadow of the Tomb Raider on XSX and across 5min I would estimate it was getting 190Mb/s. The PS5 wasn't displaying the download speed during download, but the 512MB test in settings came out to 220Mb/s. 50Mb/s is really low. Once you try it on ethernet vs Wi-Fi in sequence you'll be able to get an idea if it's the servers, or something else.

My past experience with XSS is that Xbox console downloads start off slow, and then later pick up speed. I would guess it has something to do with their servers at that time, and not your Wi-Fi on the XSX.

P.S.- I'm really happy you were able to get your XSX! I have a decent PC and monitor I do most my gaming on, so I'll either give it to my son, or just use it as the family console on the living room 65" TV. I'm starting to think he'd rather have a new GPU for his birthday, so the latter is more likely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom