• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X - $349 (clearing stock for refresh?)

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I don’t know what’s going on with it but yesterday evening I was getting ~50 Mbps at best despite the fact it’s in the same room as my router

meanwhile my Steam Deck OLED gets 300 Mbps down (which is currently the max for the FioS plan my landlord has)

edit: I made sure not to have anything else downloading while on the Xbox too, heck at one point it took it 30 minutes to download the last 100MB or so of an update, hopefully I don’t have a bad network card 😕

Gray, buddy, I had the same exact problem with my XSX, wi-fi was abysmal (about 50Mbps)
with my router being in the same room.
Tried with an Ethernet cable (CAT6) and while speeds went up, I still couldn't get above the 200-250Mbps mark for some reason, meanwhile, wi-fi speeds with my PS5 reach the 700-800 Mbps mark and 1Gbps hardwired, really didn't get what was up with that...
XSX is wi-fi 5 only but it still doesn't excuse the speeds while being hardwired which, again, didn't surpass the 200-250 Mbps mark.

graywolf323

Gray, buddy, I had the same exact problem with my XSX, wi-fi was abysmal (about 50Mbps)
with my router being in the same room.
Tried with an Ethernet cable (CAT6) and while speeds went up, I still couldn't get above the 200-250Mbps mark for some reason, meanwhile, wi-fi speeds with my PS5 reach the 700-800 Mbps mark and 1Gbps hardwired, really didn't get what was up with that...
XSX is wi-fi 5 only but it still doesn't excuse the speeds while being hardwired which, again, didn't surpass the 200-250 Mbps mark.
well so far tonight it’s at least in the 200-250 Mbps range on wi-fi

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Imagine my shock when I realized that game isn’t on gamepass. What the hell microsof?

I would settle for a resolution boost on it as well. The art holds up, and it doesn't even need 60 FPS cause it's a turn based game. But a resolution boost would go a long ways.

FrankWza

We're you able to get a nice GP deal? I was talking about this with my barber the other day and he said there's still a good conversion happening. Not as good as the $1 but still good

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That seems like what you should expect when downloading games. I can get 350Mbps or so (400Mbps max connection) running a speed test from edge, but generally around 250Mbps or so for game downloads (though some older titles do seem to be on de-prioritized servers or something like that).

Mowcno

Amazon is again selling the Series X for just $349.

8uOBATt.jpg

These $150 discounts are madness.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Sounds like they're just putting out an aggressive sale then. Unless I missed a hardware refresh announcement?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think Amazon needs more specs and buzzwords in that title. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

$349 at Walmart still seems to be live both with and without Diablo:

Seems like they are turning this off and on, if you're looking for it at the $349, check the Walmart links often.
If you're in close enough proximity to a store with stock they'll show it available for shipping. If you change your address to a different zip code it will show the main warehouse stock. So my zip code shows availability for shipping, delivery, and pickup, with 1-2 day "shipping", but that's really store-to-home. If I change the zip code to a different city it shows the actual warehouse stock and will say something like 5-7 day shipping. So for Salem, OR those show $443 for Diablo from "Deals Shield", and $399 from "Ant Online". If I switch to my zip code in southern Oregon it shows $349 for base unit and the same $443 for the Diablo because my local store still has the base unit consoles in stock.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Without coupons?
Yeah but it was BF weekend so it wasn't able to be price matched. This deal is basically at any major retailer if you can get to match in time. That's why you're seeing it go in and out of stock. They can go to Microsoft for reimbursement but it may only be Walmart that has an actual deal to clear stock with Microsoft

Yeah but it was BF weekend so it wasn't able to be price matched. This deal is basically at any major retailer if you can get to match in time. That's why you're seeing it go in and out of stock. They can go to Microsoft for reimbursement but it may only be Walmart that has an actual deal to clear stock with Microsoft
BF was $449 with $75 GC though. They did have the PS5 for $349 for the 2 minutes it lasted

S0ULZB0URNE

I was referring to his PS5 being $350 claim.

FrankWza

I was referring to his PS5 being $350 claim.
It was $350 on black friday or black friday weekend for one day and it was in store only. Basically a doorbuster. But it was not clearance situation and you cannot price match competitors during black friday period. So he was half right

Target's Deal of the Day includes an Xbox Series X priced at $349.99. If you have a Red Card, you can get an extra 5% off, bringing the total down to $332.49.

Meanwhile in the Netherlands the bastard is more expensive than a PS5!

You can get a PS5 disc for 489 while the XSX is 550 euros.

Fucking morons, why don't they do discounts for EU countries?

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Meanwhile in the Netherlands the bastard is more expensive than a PS5!

You can get a PS5 disc for 489 while the XSX is 550 euros.

Fucking morons, why don't they do discounts for EU countries?
i was there during BF and the XSX was at 489 with diablo and MW3

FrankWza

Target's Deal of the Day includes an Xbox Series X priced at $349.99. If you have a Red Card, you can get an extra 5% off, bringing the total down to $332.49.

I wonder if they are just clearing out everywhere now or the other retailers were price matching walmart so much they went to grab the same deal from Microsoft?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Supply and demand. MS are forced to do these fire sales to just lose by less. They can't match Sony for price or profit margins.

Which is exactly what any business should be doing to compete with the market leader.

I don't know about the US but the PS5 was around £80 cheaper than the series X for like 3 months in the UK. Microsoft did nothing for months. Just sat their taking a pounding.

Doing prices like this is great to see as it looks like they actually want to get units out there.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I wonder if they are just clearing out everywhere now or the other retailers were price matching walmart so much they went to grab the same deal from Microsoft?
or they are planning for the new model and have too much stock sitting in the wharehouse

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is there any evidence at all that they are clearing stock for a new SKU?
- I just can't see how something wouldn't have leaked already??

Maybe, it's just a Q4 sales push?

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Which is exactly what any business should be doing to compete with the market leader.

I don't know about the US but the PS5 was around £80 cheaper than the series X for like 3 months in the UK. Microsoft did nothing for months. Just sat their taking a pounding.

Doing prices like this is great to see as it looks like they actually want to get units out there.
it's not really the price the problem, with the price increase in europe the PS5 has been at 549 and Xbox at 499 and it's still 9 to 1 ratio in sales
and 75% of xbox sales are the S version

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
it's not really the price the problem, with the price increase in europe the PS5 has been at 549 and Xbox at 499 and it's still 9 to 1 ratio in sales
and 75% of xbox sales are the S version

But it looks like Xbox's are selling at this price? also, the PS5 was heavily discounted for months in UK and Europe leading up to the slim launch, from summer time. I'm not sure where you are but anyway.

Is the Xbox now discounted in Europe, as it isn't in the UK. I think they need to do this discounting in the UK and Europe as well. It seems to be working in the US.

phant0m

$350 is tough to pass up, esp w/ a disc drive. I don’t buy anything modern on disc anymore but I’ve got a decent OG Xbox and 360 collection that I play on my One X.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
But it looks like Xbox's are selling at this price? also, the PS5 was heavily discounted for months in UK and Europe leading up to the slim launch, from summer time. I'm not sure where you are but anyway.

Is the Xbox now discounted in Europe, as it isn't in the UK. I think they need to do this discounting in the UK and Europe as well. It seems to be working in the US.
it is working in the US because it's the only market left that has decent Xbox sales

The price increase for the PS5 was in august 2022 and that was more than a year before the discounts that started in july in 2023

For black friday there was the PS5 at 490 with 1 controller or the cheaper Xbox diablo bundle with MW3 and they weren't moving at all

JackMcGunns

MS probably has the numbers that nobody's buying physical games on Xbox anymore so makes sense to just drop the disk drive and go all out digital. Maybe it'll suck if you have a big collection of BC-compatible games though.

If you have this big library of BC games, you already have an Xbox with a disc drive. I think the option will always be there, even Sony has a solution with an external drive that's optional, why wouldn't MS do that when they did it first?

Mr Hyde

I think the option will always be there, even Sony has a solution with an external drive that's optional, why wouldn't MS do that when they did it first?

MS pivots more to digital than Sony, so it would make sense they're dropping the disk drive. The leaks on the new Series X was all digital, probably a first step towards an all digital future. But if you have a big collection of physical games just keep the Series X and your good.

JackMcGunns

MS pivots more to digital than Sony, so it would make sense they're dropping the disk drive. The leaks on the new Series X was all digital, probably a first step towards an all digital future. But if you have a big collection of physical games just keep the Series X and your good.

Yea agreed, but the Series S was all digital too and there's also a PS5 model with full sepcs the same way Series X is, but it doesn't change the fact that they can offer options. Don't forget that although digital is a major part of purchased media, there's still a great bunch that still buy discs and have purchased discs for PS5 and Series X, where will they insert their games if the option is gone? an all digital console makes sense, but not changing course during the same generation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom