• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 confirmed for Holiday 2017

Looks great to me, but I'm a rather newcomer to Xenoblade (played some XCX and XC 3DS). Characters designs are the only downer, but I liked the blade designs and can't wait to collect them all. >_> I'm a sucker for pokemon/summon type mechanics in my RPGs.

Still can't believe it's hitting this year. Game will be beautiful in handheld mode.

random25

I know Pyra is a good name, but Homura sounds much better, though they mean the same thing. Should have kept it Homura in the English version IMO.

Looks like dual audio won't be a thing...but maybe with constant nagging they'll give in lol.

jdstorm

Banned
I like the fact that she is taller than the guy.

I wonder how often this happens.

Peach, Rosalina and Daisy are all taller then Mario
Impa is taller then link (Zelda is around the same height)
Samus is tall. So off the top of my head its pretty common in Nintendo games.

Mory Dunz

I think he means traditional jrpgs with anime aesthetic or something along that line

aitakute

aitakute

image.php

Crazy, yes? I even live in Japan too.

Now that you mention it, Nintendo has great representation for short men/tall woman.

SkyOdin

Any way to change the armor?
Both previous Xenoblade titles let you. hange your characters' appearances by equiping new armor. X went a step further and let you equip armor in fashion slots that overrode the look of your character without adjusting stats. Xenoblade 2 will likely continue this trend.

Safros

I like the fact that she is taller than the guy.

I wonder how often this happens.

I really dislike the way the main character looks. I can sort of look past the dumb design of the girl because I've played other Xeno games, but I really hope you can cover that guy's face with a helmet or something.

renzolama

I'm confused, do you think that teenagers don't exist in 2017? Edit: Rereading I see that's not the case. You don't think teenagers like RPGs anymore?

There are tons of adults who this will still appeal to as well.

I guess I'm just referencing the fact that video games make the overwhelming percentage of their profit from males 25-34. They have the most expendable income to blow on games, and the first generation of full-time-hobby gamers are in their mid 30s now. Creating games with child protagonists seems like an odd choice in that light, and I think it's even stranger to then make the child protagonist companion be a slightly older female with an extremely "voluptuous" figure. Don't get me wrong, me and Taro Yoko both love the ladies and I'm not trying to turn the discussion into a sexism argument, I just think the whole aesthetic of the character designs is really weird. All of the Switch commercials we've seen so far have shown athletic people in their early 20s, do you know a lot of people like that who are looking for long RPGs with 11 year old main characters? I just don't know who the target audience for these character designs is.

They look really strange together.

Yeah, this

Edit: Changed the body description to be a bit less hyperbolic

Just found this quote from Takahashi (source):

”The way I see it," says Takahashi, ”I feel as though Xenoblade 1 and 2 are connected and linked in the sense that they're linear and story-driven games, whereas Xenoblade Chronicles X was more focused on open world and exploration, and maybe an online aspect. I feel like I'd like to continue to create games separating those two aspects out."

Xenoblade 2 existing doesn't seem to rule out a Xenoblade X sequel down the line.

LTTP but which character is Nomura's design ?

He's credited for designing a character named Torna. I didn't hear the name in the trailer or see it at all during the treehouse event, but I'm assuming Torna is this character:

”The way I see it," says Takahashi, ”I feel as though Xenoblade 1 and 2 are connected and linked in the sense that they're linear and story-driven games, whereas Xenoblade Chronicles X was more focused on open world and exploration, and maybe an online aspect. I feel like I'd like to continue to create games separating those two aspects out."

Xenoblade 2 existing doesn't seem to rule out a Xenoblade X sequel down the line.

He said something similar on Treehouse but not explicitly the bolded. I think that's good; while I preferred the OG Xenoblade, there's some things from X that I'll miss.

Makonero

“The way I see it,” says Takahashi, “I feel as though Xenoblade 1 and 2 are connected and linked in the sense that they're linear and story-driven games, whereas Xenoblade Chronicles X was more focused on open world and exploration, and maybe an online aspect. I feel like I'd like to continue to create games separating those two aspects out.”

I'm not sure I buy that, since XCX was terrifically expensive and pretty much a bomb sales-wise, regardless of how much us dedicated fans loved the experience. I hope they can marry the two somewhat; a more serious, adult story with a focus on exploration for the XCX2 or something, but I'm doubtful they'll put the resources that direction if XC2 is a big success.

I'm not sure I buy that, since XCX was terrifically expensive and pretty much a bomb sales-wise, regardless of how much us dedicated fans loved the experience. I hope they can marry the two somewhat; a more serious, adult story with a focus on exploration for the XCX2 or something, but I'm doubtful they'll put the resources that direction if XC2 is a big success.

Takahashi has gone on record saying the Xenoblade games have a "mid-tier" budget that's less expensive than some people might think. I don't remember XCX sales numbers offhand, but I don't think it bombed. Takahashi also confirmed that Xenoblade 2 is built off the engine the team made for XCX, so making the engine might have been viewed as an upfront cost for a long term engine the team could make mutiple games with. I'm guessing a potential sequel could have a shorter development time since the engine is already in place.

NimbusD

“The way I see it,” says Takahashi, “I feel as though Xenoblade 1 and 2 are connected and linked in the sense that they're linear and story-driven games, whereas Xenoblade Chronicles X was more focused on open world and exploration, and maybe an online aspect. I feel like I'd like to continue to create games separating those two aspects out.”

He's credited for designing a character named Torna. I didn't hear the name in the trailer or see it at all during the treehouse event, but I'm assuming Torna is this character:

So as someone who didnt finish Xenoblade 1... it sounds like the story isnt the important thing here, right? Im gonna play this anyway (hopefully the firsst comes out on virtual console or something Id like to play it and finish it but not ognna get a new 3ds for it or sit down w a wii and play it) but just wanted to see what the deal is there.

I guess I'm just referencing the fact that video games make the overwhelming percentage of their profit from males 25-34. They have the most expendable income to blow on games, and the first generation of full-time-hobby gamers are in their mid 30s now. Creating games with child protagonists seems like an odd choice in that light, and I think it's even stranger to then make the child protagonist companion be a slightly older female with an extremely "voluptuous" figure. Don't get me wrong, me and Taro Yoko both love the ladies and I'm not trying to turn the discussion into a sexism argument, I just think the whole aesthetic of the character designs is really weird. All of the Switch commercials we've seen so far have shown athletic people in their early 20s, do you know a lot of people like that who are looking for long RPGs with 11 year old main characters? I just don't know who the target audience for these character designs is.

I agree with you that the demographics at which this game is aimed to appeal to are a bunch of 25-34 year olds, but I'd say that there's a big number of female players who are going to play this game too. You, like most of the western publishers think that we all want to play as a thirty something years old dude but I couldn't disagree more with this. If you check out who are the main characters of the more popular JRPGs right now you'll see that high school students, female androids and kid characters are as popular as ever for these games. I'm glad Xenoblade 2 lets you play again as a kid.

So as someone who didnt finish Xenoblade 1... it sounds like the story isnt the important thing here, right? Im gonna play this anyway (hopefully the firsst comes out on virtual console or something Id like to play it and finish it but not ognna get a new 3ds for it or sit down w a wii and play it) but just wanted to see what the deal is there.

He meant that Xenoblade 1 and 2 are more linear and story focused while Xenoblade X is open world with more of an exploration focus.

Xenoblade 2 has a heavy story focus like Xenoblade 1.

Story is important but not the main draw. Xenoblade was a heavy gameplay centered rpg

Agreed, but in the sense of how Takahashi seems to be differentiating Xenoblade 1 and 2 from Xenoblade X. This isn't the first time he's mentioned viewing Xenoblade and X as different subseries.

do you not have a wii u?

The games are takahashi games and so they have heavily nieztche philosophy influenced narratives about consciousness and life creations.

hongcha

I love the character designs (especially the redhead), and the gameplay looks a lot more fun than the previous system, which I disliked greatly.

If no dual audio, I'll be buying the Japanese version.

jonjonaug

not like the xenoblade games are that big on dps anyway

In the first one the easiest way to play is a party of Melia/Dunban/Shulk to pile on the DPS and kill everything before it can do anything.

In XenoX by the mid-late game the DPS becomes supermassive, particularly with Overdrive builds.

Is this game connected to the other 2 titles?? Id like to play the other 2 but id probably be able to get a hold of this one first.

If I should play the previous entries i'll hold off.

Top Bottom