• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Four Xenoblade Chronicles 2 soundtrack samples released!

Music is so good, reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles soundtrack, one of my favorite video game OSTs. Can't wait to hear even more!

I'll probably be avatar quoted. :p

Some of Mitsuda's works are on my list of all-time greats, but none of the four tracks from the OP are doing anything for me at all. Generic shonen anime-esque fare with the classic overuse of violin where it doesn't belong (a norm with too many modern JRPG OSTs). Unimpressed.

Zyrox

The dope music was the first thing I noticed in the trailer. All of these samples sound fantastic. Good to have the old team back.

Etria

The tracks all capture the essence of what made the original Xenoblade OST so good. Action Start is particularly glorious.

Tyrael

Beautiful, I'm glad ACE is back.

Probably will be may second favorite OST of the year, after Nier Automata.

Exentryk

Man, Mitsuda's still got it! Even without having played the game, I am already getting various emotions from that track.

Also good lord this track (Elpis Soul Cave - Minami Kiyota) is AMAZING! Even Kenji Hiramatsu's one is great! ACE one fits the battle theme well, and I feel it will shine more with context.

OST is in good hands.

giphy.gif

tjlee2

Neo Member
Like many have already said, a lot of themes are following similar pattern to ones in XC1, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Also, XC1 themes became iconic because of the story elements that they were used in, so hopefully that will be the case here as well.

Griss

Damn, this is really, really good. Somewhere* skypunch is crying with joy.

*by somewhere I mean gamefaqs

MicH

These are so great. Action Start is in particular giving me Xenoblade Chronicles vibes. So happy about this!

Intel_89

Thank god Sawano is out, this is what I came to expect from a Xenoblade soundtrack. Fucking hyped for this, cannot wait.

Golnei

I'm so happy Kiyota is coming back, for some reason I'd thought they'd dropped her when the game was first announced.

Also, I was just reminded of her VOICES album - I wonder if there'll ever be a way to buy it digitally.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hearing some bizarre off-key notes in the strings of Action Battle at 0:43 and 1:13 (which I assume are temporary hence the naming) but otherwise I really dig these.

Really, really looking forward to the finished OST.

and I didn't hear any melodies on these tracks

I uh, huh?

jb1234

Hearing some bizarre off-key notes in the strings of Action Battle at 0:43 and 1:13 (which I assume are temporary hence the naming) but otherwise I really dig these.

Yeah, the moment at :43 is especially noticeable to me. Guess they'll be doing some patch-up sessions. 1:13 has the same dissonances as 1:03 so I'm undecided whether it's intentional or not. They could have copy and pasted those string lines since the music is identical.

(The production values are noticeably higher than for Xenoblade Chronicles. It's nice hearing all these live elements.)

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, the moment at :43 is especially noticeable to me. Guess they'll be doing some patch-up sessions. 1:13 has the same dissonances as 1:03 so I'm undecided whether it's intentional or not. They could have copy and pasted those string lines since the music is identical.

Actually, the chord progressions are different-

-on the first time around (1:03->1:04) it's a Dm F/C G7/B (notwitstanding the use of a C in a G7/B chord in the string arrangement which is an avoid note/semitone clash), then a Bb, C A7/C# turnaround

-on the second time around (1:13ish) it's a Dm, F/C, Bb C, Bb etc, with the Bb tonality both being solidified by both bass and harmony guitar line, hence when the strings dip back into a B natural, it's a horrible clash.

Anyway, pedantic analysis aside, I'm pretty sure by 'temp' these strings are sequenced (you wouldn't get stuff like 0:43 otherwise), or these are some of the flattest live string performances I've ever heard. Pretty sure the final product will be much better assuming the orchestrator/arranger caught these. ;)

Buzzi

It's good. It's no Sawano though.
You thought it was /s, but it was me, reality :^)

That said, the second and fourth seem the v2.0 of themes from XB and I hate when they compose moving little from previously loved pieces and present them as new. The first trailer had a piece I really liked though, and I'll wait for the usually godly snow theme. And something with Mechonis Field vibes.

Top Bottom