• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 confirmed for Holiday 2017

adroit

Does the battle system still use auto-attacks?

The thing about XCX was that once you had the right augments and carried over TP from your last battle, you could dispense with all the auto-attack stuff and launch right into overdrive. Unless they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater, I think that XC2 will have some sort of mechanism for leaving auto-attack behind once you've advanced far enough in the game. If not, well, it's going to get really tiresome.

The thing about XCX was that once you had the right augments and carried over TP from your last battle, you could dispense with all the auto-attack stuff and launch right into overdrive. Unless they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater, I think that XC2 will have some sort of mechanism for leaving auto-attack behind once you've advanced far enough in the game. If not, well, it's going to get really tiresome.

All arts shown in XC2 seem to be charged by auto-attacks like most of the talent arts were in XC1 instead of having a cooldown timer.

HeeHo

Man, this game is a lot further ahead than I thought. I watched an IGN 40 minute stream of it last night before bed.

It doesn't look anywhere as cool as the first game but for some reason, I can't wait to play it on the Switch.

aravuus

Man, X's battle system was so much fun. I doubt this'll touch it, but I played the original for a bit yesterday and there's just something about its battle system that doesn't vibe with me, so I hope XBX2 is at least better than the original. Seems they've gone in the right direction for some stuff and in the completely wrong with other, so really, I'm gonna have to get to play the game myself before I can tell.

Can't wait for XBX2 lol.

Shahadan

They make waaaaay too big a deal about the
"Hom Hom"
line in particular for that to be just a cameo.

That's neither a "clear" connection nor nearly enough to begin even entertaining the thought that both games are linked.
Might as well add the monado hairpin as proof while you're at it

TDLink

So, anyone think that "Elysium" is gonna have anything to do with either the original Xenoblade or X?

I could see the "architect" mentioned in the trailer being some sort of reference
to Shulk
assuming they're lying and there's actually some real connection.

Xenoblade X had several implications that there was a real connection between that world and the original, but no solid connections. So we'll see.

That's neither a "clear" connection nor nearly enough to begin even entertaining the thought that both games are linked.
Might as well add the monado hairpin as proof while you're at it

There is -a lot- involving the Nopon specifically that makes it seem like the world and story of Xenoblade happened a long time ago before X takes place. There is no definitive connection, but those hints are intentionally there and go slightly beyond simple homage. There's a large quest chain dealing with it.

The Telethia being in that world is also curious and they make a big deal out of it, enough so that it shows up in a story cut scene.

Xenoblade X frankly dropped the ball on the plot though, leaving a lot of the mysteries to be answered in some sequel...whenever that happens. So I think it remains to be seen if that world is truly connected or not.

The original Xenoblade ends
with Shulk making a new world of some sort
. So I think it does make sense for that to tie into one of these sequels, somehow, at some point.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im getting the same feeling I got when xenoblade X got its re-reveal at E3 and they had the treehouse segment, I absolutely need to see more of this game....and the great thing is im gonna see more of it since its coming out this year. God is real.

Shahadan

There is -a lot- involving the Nopon specifically that makes it seem like the world and story of Xenoblade happened a long time ago before X takes place. There is no definitive connection, but those hints are intentionally there and go slightly beyond simple homage. There's a large quest chain dealing with it.

The Telethia being in that world is also curious and they make a big deal out of it, enough so that it shows up in a story cut scene.

Xenoblade X frankly dropped the ball on the plot though, leaving a lot of the mysteries to be answered in some sequel...whenever that happens. So I think it remains to be seen if that world is truly connected or not.

The original Xenoblade ends
with Shulk making a new world of some sort
. So I think it does make sense for that to tie into one of these sequels, somehow, at some point.

That's even less substantial than the "FFX is a sequel to FF7" shit and that was already thin. It means nothing until a character, place, or event directly ties them together.
There'll be a telethia and nopons in the third game and the one after that.
And you can bet right now that some line in some sidequest in Xeno 2 will make you wonder "huh but what if???" based on vague hints and that will still amount to nothing. That's a common occurence in japanese games wihtin a same series.

DemWalls

At the start of the treehouse he said the game still needs polish, does he mean graphics or gameplay?

They're thinking of hiring CDPR to help.

4ZlW0w4.jpg

Powwa

Character designs, equipment desings and voice acting is horrid. MC is way too bland. I mean who looked at that and said "Yes this is good!", he looks like a draft.

On the positive part environments looks kinda cool and I'm hoping that voice acting was only for the trailer and they'll have a different cast for it. Will there be a chance for couch co-op in this game?

Late to watching this but the main blade female design is seriously awful and a huge negative for me. The more I see those designs alongside the MCs, the more I dislike them.

Scrawnton

I was watching the gameplay videos of treehouse and the official trailer on YouTube and both are in 720p resolution where other trailers (Mario) are in 1080p. Has it been confirmed what resolution this game runs in when docked? Is it 720p?

Footage put me off a little tbh

There was a definite need to refine and simplify X's systems but I'm not sure they went about it the right way, battles looks pretty uninvolving and dull now.

Plus personally the weapons as characters on strings is just something I don't like at all.

They're thinking of hiring CDPR to help.

4ZlW0w4.jpg

Hihii. That made me smile!

Xenoblade Chronicles is just as bad with it's characters, but since you can barely see them most of the time you won't pay attention to that. Only difference is the art direction, and I must say that 2 is better in that regard. Makes those chars pop really nicely, easier to see the action etc.

And don't get me started with the voice acting... Do I have to remind you about Reyn?

This game looks interesting, but I am not sure if I will like it in the end. They have fixed most of the problems I had with the original, or so it seems. But in the end, it is a very peculiar gameplay and I am a little bit meh with it.

Toxi

Banned
I'm kinda surprised by the negativity over the character design.

I mean, I thought they looked like shit, but my tastes don't match most JRPG fans'.

A.J.

Banned
Will you be able to change Pyrha's outfit if she is a driver? I'm assuming you ca for party members, but she's different in that regard as a blade.

Some thought and finding watching Treehouse footage:

1. I hate they show enemy levels without targeting it, it's the first option I turned off when playing XBX, please let me do that in XB2.

2. Element icon shows in enemy's status, it's their weak element or the opposite?

3. No exp from landmarks?

4. Weird that the player from treehouse never jumps when characters obviously have jump animation.

5. Gacha system. :/

6. Setting the third blade increases Rex's Strength by 3.

7. The position attack arts still refill team gauge like in XB.

8. Enemy level indicator, red>yellow>white>blue>black.

9. Looks like you can "revive" teammates with team gauges? The word is covered by treehouse banner. lol

10. NPC can change blades during battle.

11. I don't get that "use arts off from normal combo to charge faster" thing. Seem important but badly explained.

Overall it's the similar system from XB and XBX, pace feels much slower, though. Monolith Soft really need to improve their system tutorial, no more "please read all the in game manual" situation again.

ameleco

So here's my question: Loved the original, was eh on XCX but I didn't get too far into it (30 hours or so, but mostly sidequests). Should I just brute force my way through the game and finish it before this comes out or not even bother?

So here's my question: Loved the original, was eh on XCX but I didn't get too far into it (30 hours or so, but mostly sidequests). Should I just brute force my way through the game and finish it before this comes out or not even bother?
I do not feel that you need to try to finish it if you felt "eh" on it. The story is really nothing so I would not worry about trying to complete it. I would at least say if anything at least try to get the Skells if you have not already just to see that bit of game play but other than that you can drop it.

TheMoon

zero relation so if you don't want to, don't.

aravuus

Oh hey, do we know if the cutscene director is the same dude as XB's? That game has some of the best cutscene direction I've seen in JRPGs.

ameleco

I do not feel that you need to try to finish it if you felt "eh" on it. The story is really nothing so I would not worry about trying to complete it. I would at least say if anything at least try to get the Skells if you have not already just to see that bit of game play but other than that you can drop it.

Yeah my OCD to 100% stuff totally prevented me getting that far lol. I think I do still want to see that.

zero relation so if you don't want to, don't.

Thanks to both of you!

alvis.exe

Yeah that's a real bummer. I'm sure it is because of the cart sizes, but fuck that.

There's still a chance, the line doesn't appear in the US trailer, only in the EU/UK trailers so it may be that they're referring more to a lack of a French/Spanish/German/etc dub rather than the lack of the original Japanese VO.

BBboy20

I don't understand how people can think XC1 and XCX had "good designs" but XC2 is where they draw the line. All these games have anime as fuck designs for the characters. How shallow are some people if a characters outfit is the reason they'll pass on a game?
In some eyes, designs like Pyra is a reminder of the Patriarch, hence when some go beyond criticizing the aesthetic and accusing those, in their own words, who make such things as enablers or perpetrators of sexism.

So the first time I watched the trailer, I was really caught off guard by the dub and thought it sounded like a step down from the previous Xenoblade dubs, but when I rewatched it, the voice acting suddenly sounded fine to me and I wasn't sure why. Checking the trailer again, I might have figured out why.

Most of the dialogue in the trailer doesn't seem to be from the cutscenes shown in the video. There are 2 or 3 instances where a line seems to match the footage, but that's about it. Most of the dialogue seems to come from different scenes in the game (or different parts of the scenes that weren't shown) and pasted on top of the cutscenes running in the video. A lot of the lines might have felt out of place to me at first because those lines could possibly be from different scenes in the game.

Effect

I wish the game was shown off again during the Treehouse but I guess I get why. They admitted the game is still being polished and the graphics aren't final. It was the same thing with Xenoblade Chronicles X at E3 2014 when you compare it with the final retail copy. The graphics improved overall and very significantly in many areas. I actually went back and looked at Nintendo's demo video of it that year and looked at digital foundry's video of the retail copy of the game since they both cover the opening area of the game. So I fully expect XC2 to look significantly better by release. However they likely didn't feel comfortable showing more of it in Treehouse. :(

That or they had time. I hope it was more of a time issue though. I though it still looked good even in it's unpolished state.

That said not to go rewatch the demo several times the way I did for the XCX videos..

I do wonder if they'll do a series of Directs for the game the way they did for XCX before it released to both hyped the game and to explain it to people. I hope so.

KrawlMan

I wish the game was shown off again during the Treehouse but I guess I get why. They admitted the game is still being polished and the graphics aren't final. It was the same thing with Xenoblade Chronicles X at E3 2014 when you compare it with the final retail copy. The graphics improved overall and very significantly in many areas. I actually went back and looked at Nintendo's demo video of it that year and looked at digital foundry's video of the retail copy of the game since they both cover the opening area of the game. So I fully expect XC2 to look significantly better by release. However they likely didn't feel comfortable showing more of it in Treehouse. :(

I really hope so. Some of that game looks pretty nice, but the first several minutes of the Treehouse looked abysmal. Especially before they got out into the open area before the town. I get that it's not all about graphics, but bits of it looked significantly worse than X - and X was an incredibly massive and open game.

Dremorak

Banned
I agree the art looks weird, and I didnt mind the characters in X. But the battle system has some cool ideas, and the idea that you make weapons and each one is also a character is really cool, and the switching weapons and having all new arts is cool. I'm looking forward to it

MoonFrog

I imagine the game will be good at least. I just hope it exceeds my expectations and I definitely want better from Monolith/think that they're a studio that could make a game that I really really like but haven't yet.

Top Bottom