• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Review Thread

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

lUkhEyq.gif

Why are people surprised?

The prequel got great scores too. Were people expecting a critical flop with X?

Its changed some things that people liked in the last game and kept some things people felt needed improvements.
More like worry how critics would react, thus questioning if they should get it.

Also import impressions are taken serious apparently

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Another quote from Jim:

My first time in the Skell was one of the more beautiful moments I’ve ever gotten to enjoy in recent gaming memory. After hours of being beaten up by oversized aliens and high-level nasties, it was downright exhilarating to put the hurt on them in return.

Yushi

So happy! A deep (mechanics) and complicated RPG. I honestly dont care about the story, its very rare for me to care about those.

But man! This is for me what MHX is to japan right now. I will grind my way to the top gear sets and look bad ass!

Aroll

Pleasantly surprised. Of course it's a good game - the first one was good, arguably great. But overseas reviews (japan reviews) didn't seem as high on it. Then again, Jim compared it to Mass Effect in that it's Japan's answer to it - in that sense, it would make a lot of sense that it would appeal more to western gamers than necessarily Japanese.

Outside of the 2 or 3 outliers that exist for every game, most seem to agree that this game isn't just good, it's great.

Game of the Year material? Tough in a year where The Witcher 3 also released. But clearly this is an ace property for Nintendo now. Of their true core/hardcore gamer franchises. Here is hoping western sales prove it's worth despite the Wii U's poor performance so this budding franchise continues to press forward.

Ozium

it's still early fellas.. let's wait for the twos and threes to roll in

we all know the only thing that matters is the metacritic number

Mariolee

As a summary

- French tests -
Gamekult : 8/10
Jeuxvideo.com : 19/20

Gamereactor UK, Italy, Spain, Denkmark and Norway 10!

- French -
lightningamer.com : 9/10

- German -
gamezone.de : 8,7/10

1o5nh4i.gif

XGN - 8.5

Xenoblade Chronicles X is a worthy opponent for The Witcher 3, when it comes to the title of RPG of the year. This game radiates love, ambition and passion. The world is beautiful, the combat system is challenging enough and there's so much to explore.

Kitoro

Why are there no mentions of online multiplayer anywhere? I hope it was because the servers weren't up yet, rather than it being removed from the game...

Does anyone know how the multiplayer works? Been asking in threads for ages, but no one ever answers, haha!

Why are there no mentions of online multiplayer anywhere? I hope it was because the servers weren't up yet, rather than it being removed from the game...

Does anyone know how the multiplayer works? Been asking in threads for ages, but no one ever answers, haha!

Multiplayer wasn't removed.

for me it was because importers didn't seem to like it. i read very negative impressions from japan so i'm stunned by the great scores.

i'm very happy.

BiggNife

I saw a lot of negative import impressions from here saying that the game is a huge grind with poor pacing and sometimes feels like a boring slog. From those impressions I was expecting reviews to be a bit more divisive.

CrazyHal

"It was poorly receive in Japan" they said! "Import impressions were really negative" they said!

In all seriousness, i think a lot of people just put to much emphasis on the negatives of the import impressions.

These positive reviews are really encouraging. Maybe I'll have something to play on Wii U this Christmas. Not like I don't have enough games to play at the moment already anyway. But really excited about this now.

Ricker

Yeah,the multiplayer looked like a cross between PSO and MH...did it get cancelled...? or will it come later...?

Malus

Gamereactor quote: "The remarkable technical work carried out here should be noted. The game is rock solid and a technological masterpiece, using a thousand tricks to offer impossible alien landscapes and an astonishing draw distance, while maintaining a solid frame-rate of 30 fps which we never once noticed dropping. And what's more, not a single bug across many, many hours of gameplay! "

I like the sound of that.

No, they updated their review this morning: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/41575/xenoblade-chronicles-x-wii-u-review

Score jumped 5 points.

Yeah but the one on the OP is the import review.

TheMoon

You could have just read the import OT which had all you need to know since April.

Plus, of course the online/multiplayer stuff is still in the game.

Glad it's being received well especially with the "Japan didn't like it" thing people were convinced about.
Hope I enjoy it as much.

Top Bottom